Current Page: 12 of 21
Question for Alcoholics Anonymous experts.
Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 15, 2006 12:33AM

Others on this thread have been quite "shrill" towards myself and those who criticizer AA.

It has been insinuated that we are "unwilling to work the steps", that we are part of the "secular revolt", that we think we are "irresistably beautiful", that we are "atheists", and that we are lying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 15, 2006 12:33AM

ughaibu
Upsidedownnewspaper: You are still looking at this as a matter of language, whether the term used is "religious" or "philosophical" makes no difference to the actuality of what is being discussed.

Ughaibu, you are exactly right.

Whether the term is "religious" or "philosophical", "god" or "Mr Sobriety", "Alcoholics Anonymous" or "Alcoholic Anonymous Agnostic or Atheist", the, er, 'actuality' of what is being discussed is SOBRIETY.

AA accepts people regardless of what terms they use.

People who have been through AA come through using whatever terms they like.

The 'actuality' of what is being discussed is SOBRIETY.

Date: August 15, 2006 12:35AM

The actuality of what is being discussed is a program that insists on surrender to a "higher power", God, according to the AA literature.

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 15, 2006 12:46AM

Upsidedownnewspaper: I'm not sure what you mean, are you suggesting that sobriety is a "higher power" to which the alcoholic must submit? From the psychological viewpoint, this doesn't strike me as a meaningful assertion.

Date: August 15, 2006 12:49AM

barabara
The actuality of what is being discussed is a program that insists on surrender to a "higher power", God, according to the AA literature.

Well, I think you are being quite cultish in your insistence upon that interpretation of the Big Book, barabara, but fine.

I suspect you are making the mistake, again, of thinking, as Ughaibu has so rightly pointed out, that this is all about language.

Now that we've all agreed...let's get back to Landmark and Scientology and real destructive cults.

Date: August 15, 2006 12:54AM

Now that we've all agreed...let's get back to Landmark and Scientology and real destructive cults.

Good idea.
Why don't you post on that thread if landmark and scientology are what you are interested in?

For those who are interested in AA, the Big Book does say, in those exact words, that "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God...", so it's not like I'm adding my own interpretation.

Date: August 15, 2006 12:56AM

barabara
Good idea.
Why don't you post on that thread if landmark and scientology are what you are interested in?

For those who are interested in AA, the Big Book does say, in those exact words, that "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God...", so it's not like I'm adding my own interpretation.

And for the final time, no-one is stopping you adding your own interpretation.

That's why AA is not a cult.

Date: August 15, 2006 01:10AM

And for the final time, when I post quotes taken directly from the Big Book, I have not added my interpretation as you imply.
I have posted quotes from the Big Book, word-for-word, exactly as they appear in the published literature.
How is that "my interpretation"?

"Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God...", so it's not like I'm adding my own interpretation.

Or, if you prefer colter's words:

No, that's not at all what I'm saying. I'm talking about confessing sins, the spiritual rebirth, ministering to others, forgives of others, all ideas which you appear to be at odds with when it is practiced in AA.

The big book says that our real purpose in AA is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and to the people around us.

Colter

Posted by: Colter ()
Date: August 15, 2006 01:26AM

Colter gives a most accurate representation of the program.
His views and expressions are un-erringly orthodox, and identical to the views of the vast majority of the old-timers I met, (who are usually older):
"We love, respect and tolerate you, because you are sick, but we are certain that you will eventually come around to our way of thinking because we know better and if you don't you will die".

...errrr yep, that's about it, all except the certain part. I've watched many dear people fight the program all the way to their death. :cry:

Colter

Date: August 15, 2006 01:33AM

colter:

Quote:
Colter gives a most accurate representation of the program.
His views and expressions are un-erringly orthodox, and identical to the views of the vast majority of the old-timers I met, (who are usually older):
"We love, respect and tolerate you, because you are sick, but we are certain that you will eventually come around to our way of thinking because we know better and if you don't you will die".

...errrr yep, that's about it, all except the certain part. I've watched many dear people fight the program all the way to their death.

Colter

A newcomer to the program is told to "do the steps or die".
Even colter, the most vocal AA advocate here, confirms this.

Current Page: 12 of 21

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.