Current Page: 95 of 117
Re: Jack Hickman
Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: August 07, 2011 04:10AM

Frank,

Amen!

===========================================================================

Also, Here's a post from Miruta which I thought seemed relevant.
They had written....

miruta
I can't believe that I have found this forum more than I can believe I first experienced JH's group years ago. I was never family or a member. But I was deeply in love with one. It was a long time ago and we were young and I believed that I may have married this person. I never knew everything about the group but I knew enough to be very freaked out. Maybe this is why I found this forum, to know that i didn't mistake in forgoing great love. But it still breaks my heart to think about so many beautiful, truly well-meaning hearts that lost a lifetime of potential to choose their own paths (with God). And so I don't understand how no one has (or will) go to the authorities with what they know. How many generations have to suffer? I'm only an outsider and have already suffered because of the power of groupthink. And this is nothing compared to anyone who has been abused, who have led limited lives.

Not too long ago, I read an account of brother-sister incest. A family friend intervened and the perpetrator was sent to jail. And one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read was the words of the perpetrator who thanked God because someone stopped him. This may be a strong example but it is a worthy one. Almost every one of us is built with an internal compass and though outside factors may temper it, it's still there. I pray that through all of you former members the truth will be shown. You have helped me in the little way you were able to. Please do the same for the victims.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: disjointed1 ()
Date: August 09, 2011 01:59AM

I haven't posted in a long time.......working on life stuff (that fortunately does not involve the cult!) And yet it does involve them. This is all over the place.........but here goes. I was born into the Hickman group, always pushed to please the 'authority' figures, whether it was at school or prayer sessions etc. I mean please in terms of doing what was told and believing it too.

I was raped when I was about 10..........my parents accepted money and a car to not report it. GD was the one that paid the money and gave the car, as it was his son that committed the rape. I rode a bus to Bet El (the school in massapequa) with these boys and the oldest sexually abused me every day.

My mother is a sick individual and she used to sexually abuse me under "spiritual" or "Health" purposes, I see a therapist every week just to work through that.

When I got older and involved in the group more, I got sick and diagnosed with a disease........then I was told it was ok because I was a "sacrifice" for the "Family" and for the "world". Really??? I don't even know what to say to that. I played along because I was told it was the only way people would help and/or understand. Whatever....

I married a guy not involved, mostly I think because he would never be involved. That fell apart for various reasons. Mostly because I think, for me....his family reminded me too much of the cult......in addition to the fact that I believed he cheated on me.

Once I went back when my daughter was about 18 months old and I was told that she would have no identity. I haven't been back since. And now, with the research my sister has shared with me I'm happy to be done. One of my best friends is still involved....I keep in touch with her because she sits on the edge with being involved and I hope to help her when she is ready to leave. Her entire family is involved, that is what she struggles with. But even my relationship with her has changed.

I don't know that I feel there will ever be 'justice' in what this group has done for generations now. But the more light put on them and the crap that goes on, the better.

I tried becoming Catholic in an effort to step away from the Hickman line of BS but even still I felt pulled back because I was always told I was Jewish (through my father) and Catholic (through my mother although she claimed conversion). I believed I could go to mass and just do enough to keep the higher ups happy....that isn't true.
Finding out all that I have this year, leaves me going back to the beginning. I don't go to church, I don't do any "jewish' thing. I'm just here. The rape was over twenty years ago, the statute of limitations has run out and I don't know how to find the people I'd need to find to charge them with anything, I don't know that I have the strength anyway.

This group made the abuse that took place in my house (and other households) as a child "Ok" and accepted. From reading again on this thread I'm happy to hear that they are crumbling again.

Posted by: justagirljh ()
Date: August 09, 2011 09:04AM

Ok. I wasn't going to write. But I feel as though I should. I am/was a youth. I am no longer a part of things. But I was, for my whole life. I am surprised by the accounts of abuse in this group. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I witnessed something a long time ago, but I believed it was isolated to this person/family. I still do not belkieve that there is systemic abuse. I believe that this cult attracted sick types. Some of these sickos abused. Some of them attempted to cover it up when it was found out. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how I could be so blind to these things going on. nmaybe the true purpose of the rules against "gossip" is to keep the people from talking amongst themselves, and finding out what is going on.
I digress. I am writing about something that I witnessed and nevertold anyone. Years ago, I walked in on a child, a child around my age, being abused. I saw it. I did not understand fully the implications of it. I quickly left and never mentioned it to the other child. I do not know if she knew that I knew what I saw, but she didn't say anything and niether did I. Mind you, I was friends with this girl, but there are certain lines we already knew not to cross as if it was trained in us. It did come out later, the abuse. I do not have knowledge of how it came out, but it was known. The abuser was an immediate family member. Nothing happened except she seemed to disappear. How do I explain the power these people have over others? This girl, me, all of us, we were born into this thing. Our whole families were members. Our entire families, our support system, were members. there was noone else. No where else to go. This girl, she eventually gave up it seemed. Accepted the label of liar. Didn't fight it at all, and it made me angry because I KNEW. But that is the hold these people have on others. She faced the choice of being cut off, completely alone, or deny herself but keep her family and her siblings. Don't know if I would have chosen any differently and this is all before we were even adults.
I feel angry and I feel guilty though I was a child too. What is systemic is the covering up. No one is protecting the children, they are protecting the Family which means themselves. We were taught very young that the family comes first, before even our own families.
What has happened to this girl? She's living her life. How has it all worked out for her, really. I don't know. But I do know: BE CAREFUL. You don't know even the people you think you know best in this group. You DON'T know what really goes on behind closed doors. You don't know who a person becomes when they think NO ONE is watching. I know what I saw, but I never would have belived it if someone else saw it, and told me.

Posted by: Lightdancer7 ()
Date: August 09, 2011 09:58AM

Disjointed..I just want to say that I think it is amazingly courageous for you to post this. It is so sick what happened to you. From what you say about being born in the JH cult I suspect you are the generation that follows mine (my children are in there late 20s-early 30s). I am so sorry this happened to you. It makes me sick that these people are still doing this to others and claiming ANY relationship at all with God!!! I am so very glad I left when I did. So very glad that I had my children out of the cult and got away. When this all started we were all so deluded ---- though we thought we were truly following something spiritual. I am sorry that your parents chose to stay after the fall out and to NOT believe what was going on. And I am disgusted that they took a payoff for your rape!!! DISGUSTING AND DESPICABLE!!!!

Again my heart breaks for you but I am so glad you have found the courage to leave. That you have broken the cycle of abuse by ensuring your child is not raised in this sick sick group! You need to be so proud of yourself and the courage it has taken for you to leave and love yourself and your child enough to protect her from these sick bastards.

Thank you for sharing this....as an abuse survivor (not from the cult but from within my family of origin) I know how hard it is to face this beast head on. But secrets are what feed the shame that we survivors sometimes falsely take on ourselves...it is when we give voice to these atrocities that we are empowered. I just wanted to share this with you.

Date: August 09, 2011 09:41PM

Thank you. The truth is half of the details I only discovered this year and the rest I was never brave enough to say anything......a few people knew as I got older but I never told anyone in authority. I was too scared.

Date: August 09, 2011 10:11PM

justagirljh
Ok. I wasn't going to write. But I feel as though I should. I am/was a youth. I am no longer a part of things. But I was, for my whole life. I am surprised by the accounts of abuse in this group. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I witnessed something a long time ago, but I believed it was isolated to this person/family. I still do not belkieve that there is systemic abuse. I believe that this cult attracted sick types. Some of these sickos abused. Some of them attempted to cover it up when it was found out. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how I could be so blind to these things going on. nmaybe the true purpose of the rules against "gossip" is to keep the people from talking amongst themselves, and finding out what is going on.
I digress. I am writing about something that I witnessed and nevertold anyone. Years ago, I walked in on a child, a child around my age, being abused. I saw it. I did not understand fully the implications of it. I quickly left and never mentioned it to the other child. I do not know if she knew that I knew what I saw, but she didn't say anything and niether did I. Mind you, I was friends with this girl, but there are certain lines we already knew not to cross as if it was trained in us. It did come out later, the abuse. I do not have knowledge of how it came out, but it was known. The abuser was an immediate family member. Nothing happened except she seemed to disappear. How do I explain the power these people have over others? This girl, me, all of us, we were born into this thing. Our whole families were members. Our entire families, our support system, were members. there was noone else. No where else to go. This girl, she eventually gave up it seemed. Accepted the label of liar. Didn't fight it at all, and it made me angry because I KNEW. But that is the hold these people have on others. She faced the choice of being cut off, completely alone, or deny herself but keep her family and her siblings. Don't know if I would have chosen any differently and this is all before we were even adults.
I feel angry and I feel guilty though I was a child too. What is systemic is the covering up. No one is protecting the children, they are protecting the Family which means themselves. We were taught very young that the family comes first, before even our own families.
What has happened to this girl? She's living her life. How has it all worked out for her, really. I don't know. But I do know: BE CAREFUL. You don't know even the people you think you know best in this group. You DON'T know what really goes on behind closed doors. You don't know who a person becomes when they think NO ONE is watching. I know what I saw, but I never would have belived it if someone else saw it, and told me.

==========================================================================

Years ago I actally took a college course on abusive parents. No joke. Most colleges didn't offer this ''seminar'' type of subject as a class. But mine did. It counted towards my major. So I took the course.

I still have a list of ''red flags'' they called it. I'll try my best to dig it up. I am only speaking from memory but...
Several of the red flags were
1)The victim is labeled as a LIAR by abusers
2) The vicim is labeled as PROIMISCUOUS (in the casse of sex abuse) by abusers
3) The family is extremely secretive. aka (warns very strongly against gossip)

I can't remember many of the others. If I do I'll post them. Bradshaw wrote a really good book which he called ''Healing the Shame that binds You''. and it talks about some of the nature of dysfunctional families. To me, this cult/Abensur family was like a gigantic dysfunctional family.
As to attracting some bad people well...I see that birds of a feather do flock together and I also think that applies to abusive parents.
I think that occured after 1981. Abusers flocked together. That's what I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 10:33PM by Sallie.

Posted by: marvin ()
Date: August 10, 2011 07:39AM

I am so terribly sorry about what happened to you. I wish there were a way to punish the people responsible for what happened to you and to make you feel better about yourself. You are an innocent victim of other people's cruelty and sickness. I find it so sad that your family knew about what happened and was able to be paid for their silence. I pray that someday you can find peace and happiness in your life that is not tainted by the attacks that occured. You are a very strong and powerful person to have the strength and power to even talk about this. Never ever allow the attackers to win by feeling anything less than strong and positive. You were a child and should never have had your innocense and youth taken away from you like that.

justagirljh

Date: August 11, 2011 03:50AM

Thank you everyone. I am starting to work on the peace and happiness part. But it is coming. I need to be patient and I am still learning trust, but it is coming along. Through therapy I have the courage to face more of the things that happened. Sometimes, hearing myself re-count things from my past, I feel like a person reading a story, rather than talking about my own. And a lot of times I have to stop, and take a break. I'm working on NOT being the person I was but becoming the person I have been afraid to be. I will get there.

Date: August 11, 2011 06:10AM

Pninaruth
Hey long time Jack victim, first time writing. May I ask what everyone is so paranoid about? These people have no power, no control, no balls. Why are so many of you fearing retribution?

Right. You are so right.
I'm no longer part of the group and don't know what exactly goes on.
But more than a few posts mention POORLY BEHAVED ADOLESCENT MEN.

I've been surfing the web and I found some of these legal definitions for corrupting a minor

1)In some states, to assist or encourage a minor to commit an offense. See also contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
n

2)The arousal or encouragement of a childÂ’s destructive antisocial behavior by a parent, guardian, or other caregiver. See also contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

3)et. al which I won't bother posting....
anyway.....

I'm no law expert. I have no idea how courts work and all. But I'm curious about the liability of Gary Coons who is the ex-partner of Jack Hickman and who now leads this group.
I'm wondering if Coons could be considered responsible for the corruption of young men.
I really have no idea what the answer is. It's just something that I wonder about.

Date: August 11, 2011 08:42AM

justagirljh
........... How do I explain the power these people have over others? This girl, me, all of us, we were born into this thing. Our whole families were members. Our entire families, our support system, were members. there was noone else. No where else to go. ......................

Right.
I wonder about that also.

So I found this list of traits for abusers.
This is a list of traits of abusive men. But I thought number 5 was especially relevant.

I was remembering how they would spread these rumors after 1982 about phones being bugged. I remember these ''inner circle'' people...kids...well my friends really...they would say ''you know the phones might be bugged''. They would say this while we were talking over the phone.
I remember just laughing and saying ''wow...so you mean someone really cares about what I'm doing''. It seemed silly really.
I wonder if they do that sort of thing nowadays.
==========================================================================

This is the list I found of traits of abusers......this isn't sexual abuse. It's abusive spouses. Still I thought it was good.

1)Jealousy:

2)Controlling Behavior:

3)Quick Involvement:

4)Unrealistic Expectations:. Victims are supposed to take care of their abusers’ needs.

5)ISOLATION: Abusers often try to prevent victims from seeing friends and family. Abusers may not let their victim work, use the phone, go to school or use a car.

6)Blames Others For Problems:

7)Blames Others For Feelings:

8)Hypersensitivity: Abusers often get their feelings hurt very easily and may claim that feelings are hurt when they are really angry. With an abuser, everything appears to be a personal attack.

9)Cruelty to Animals or Children: Abusers may expect children to do things they are not yet able to do. For example, an abuser might spank a two-year-old for wetting a diaper or tease a small child for crying.

10)Playful Use of Force: .

11)Verbal Abuse:

12)Rigid Roles for Men/Women:

13)Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde: 14)Past Battering:

15)Threats of Violence:

16)Disrespects Others: He or she may treat waiters or waitresses poorly or put down family members or people at work.

17)Breaks Personal Property: .

18)Does Not Respect Privacy: Abusers often “kiss and tell.”

Current Page: 95 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.