Current Page: 17 of 21
Question for Alcoholics Anonymous experts.
Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:49AM

Fine, that discussion belongs on Tracey's thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Colter ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:56AM

Upsidedownnewspaper: Drinking is a real activity, if there is something other than the drinker that can influence whether or not the drinker drinks, that something must also be real and demonstrable. Undemonstrable hypothetical entities "beyond ourselves" do not intercede in our drinking.

To say "I stopped drinking with the help of my belief in God" can be true, in the case of certain people with certain religious beliefs,[b:eeea5020a2] but to say "I stopped drinking with the help of God" is not true. [/b:eeea5020a2]I am not going to repeat this, it should already be clear.

It is true for me, God removed the obsession to drink in me. I tried but could not stop drinking on my own. I am not alone in that, their are now "millions" of recovering alcoholics that will tell you the same thing.

Many of us who were humbled by our own selfish behavior to the point of asking for help had no real religious convictions.

While many of us do develop convictions we generaly reffer to those convictions with the generic term God or higher power while in AA meetings.

Colter

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:59AM

ughaibu:

Please understand if you bring up the word "cult" or "cult-like" and/or "thought reform" on this thread regarding AA one of two things will occur:

1. It will be responded to for clarification.

2. It will not be approved by moderators.

If you don't want this to happen you can choose to post such comments on the other thread you mention and/or refrain from posting such comments here.

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:09AM

Rrmoderator: I did not "bring up the word "cult" or "cult-like" and/or "thought reform" on this thread", the idea of AA being a cult was introduced by Upsidedownnewspaper, see post 6 on page 1. I have been responding to posts by Upsidedownnewspaper and Colter.

Date: August 17, 2006 01:12AM

ughaibu:

You stated:

AA is by definition and on it's own terms, a cult.

I don't care who you were responding to.

Let's move on now.

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:38AM

ughaibu and other interested parties:
I just found out about tthis organization, and I have been told that they are involved in making sure that there are alternatives to AA for recovery.
I haven't called them yet, but plan to.
[www.nami.org]

What is NAMI?

NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Founded in 1979, NAMI has become the nation’s voice on mental illness, a national organization including NAMI organizations in every state and in over 1100 local communities across the country who join together to meet the NAMI mission through advocacy, research, support, and education.

888.999.6264 ~ NAMI’s toll-free HelpLine serves over 4,000 callers a month and is staffed by a dedicated team of volunteer associates, as well as state and affiliate HelpLines in communities across the country;

NAMI’s Campaign for the Mind of America, a grassroots political communications initiative, focuses on building relationships at national, state, and local levels with community leaders and elected officials to ensure that policy decisions are reflective of the best economic, science, [b:029abb93d4]recovery[/b:029abb93d4], and systems choices while ensuring the best outcomes.

How can I get in contact with NAMI

NAMI?2107 Wilson Blvd., Suite 300?Arlington, VA 22201-3042
www.nami.org
Main:           703-524-7600?Fax:             703-524-9094?TDD:            703-516-7227?HelpLine:      800-950-NAMI (6264)
Email:          info@nami.org
?How can I volunteer with NAMI?

As a grassroots organization, NAMI relies on volunteers at all levels of the organization. Contact the NAMI National HelpLine at info@nami.org or 800-950-6264 for opportunities at the national office as well as referral to state organizations, affiliates, and NAMIWalks events in your community.
This might be one place to find information about policies involving recovery and the courts.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: August 17, 2006 03:59PM

nami is the National Alliance on Mental Illnesses. When you hear recovery, they are referencing recovery from mental illness.

They deal very little with addiction (only in terms of the duel diagnosed), but they are pro 12 steps.

Providers should recognize that denial is an inherent part of the problem. Patients often do not have insight as to the seriousness and scope of the problem. Abstinence may be a goal of the program but should not be a precondition for entering treatment. If dually diagnosed clients do not fit into local Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) groups, special peer groups based on AA principles might be developed.
[tinyurl.com]

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 17, 2006 04:08PM

Well, this doesn't bode well for secular alternatives, but it's worth a call anyway:

[www.nami.org]

How often do people with severe mental illnesses also experience a co-occurring substance abuse problem?

There is a lack of information on the numbers of people with co-occurring disorders, but research has shown the disorders are very common. According to reports published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA):
• Roughly 50 percent of individuals with severe mental disorders are affected by substance abuse.
• Thirty-seven percent of alcohol abusers and 53 percent of drug abusers also have at least one serious mental illness.
• Of all people diagnosed as mentally ill, 29 percent abuse either alcohol or drugs.

The best data available on the prevalence of co-occurring disorders are derived from two major surveys: the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Survey (administered 1980-1984), and the National Comorbidity Survey (NCS), administered between 1990 and 1992.

The ECA Survey found that individuals with severe mental disorders were at significant risk for developing a substance use disorder during their lifetime. Specifically:
• 47 percent of individuals with schizophrenia also had a substance abuse disorder (more than four times as likely as the general population).
• 61 percent of individuals with bipolar disorder also had a substance abuse disorder (more than five times as likely as the general population).

Consumers with co-occurring disorders are also much more likely to be homeless or jailed. An estimated 50 percent of homeless adults with serious mental illnesses have a co-occurring substance abuse disorder.

[b:39e4c66a2f]Consequences for society directly stem from the above.[/b:39e4c66a2f]

There is much evidence that integrated treatment can be effective. For example:
• Individuals with a substance abuse disorder are more likely to receive treatment if they have a co-occurring mental disorder.
• Research shows that when consumers with dual diagnosis successfully overcome alcohol abuse, their response to treatment improves remarkably.

Integrated treatment also requires the recognition that substance abuse counseling and traditional mental health counseling are different approaches that must be reconciled to treat co-occurring disorders.

Providers should recognize that denial is an inherent part of the problem. Patients often do not have insight as to the seriousness and scope of the problem. Abstinence may be a goal of the program but should not be a precondition for entering treatment. If dually diagnosed clients do not fit into local Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) groups, special peer groups based on AA principles might be developed.
This does not look good.
There is no implication whatsoever that any form of recovery other than a faith-based one even exists.

An illness model of the problem should be used rather than a moralistic one.
But the 12 steps are by their very nature moralistic.

How can you have a program of recovery that stresses the need for confession and amends without venturing into the area of morality?

How can you possibly offer an alternative based on AA principles without being moralistic?

Can they possibly actually [b:39e4c66a2f]believe[/b:39e4c66a2f] that it is possible to use AA principles [b:39e4c66a2f]without[/b:39e4c66a2f] using the steps?

Many people I speak to do not realize that to recover in AA means working the steps. There seems to be a prevalent lack of knowledge among the general public about the basic principles of AA.

I wouldn't expect that from an agency that claims to be a liaison between the public and the mental health community, though.

Consequences for society directly stem from the above.
In light of this, I would think that the public would be interested in becoming more aware of what is actually being done, (or not), to alleviate the problem.

My feeling is that "the public" is easily pacified by a show of effort, as to truly address the problem of non-morality-based recovery on any meaningful level would require effort and more of the taxpayer's dollar, not to mention taking the collective public head out of the sand.

Date: August 17, 2006 07:50PM

Did anyone ever actually post the 12 steps?

Here are the Twelve Steps as defined by Alcoholics Anonymous.

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

5. We're entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

6. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

7. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

8. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

9. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of

10. His will for us and the power to carry that out.

11. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

12. Other twelve-step groups have modified the twelve steps slightly from those of Alcoholics Anonymous to refer to problems other than alcoholism.

Other twelve-step groups at times may have modified the twelve steps.

Date: August 17, 2006 07:57PM

barabara
upside down:

You have mentioned supreme court rulings against forced participation in AA. Why haven't these rulings been upheld, do you know?

This question contains an stated assumption that the rulings have [b:566b5f46a5]not[/b:566b5f46a5] been upheld.

Do you have any evedence to suport this assumption, a link to individual court cases, for instance, or media coverage of statistics related to cour-ordering people to meetings?

On the basis of your two statements below, I assumed that despite a finding that court ordered attendance of 12-step programs was in violation of the establishment clause of the 1st amendment, citizens were nonetheless still being coerced by the courts to attend AA.

barabara
Court ordered referrals to 12 step programs have been found to be in violation of the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.

barabara
[This thread] is a discussion about [b:566b5f46a5]coercion by the court system of citizens[/b:566b5f46a5] in violation of their first amendment rights.

So my question, honestly and truly, was why are the courts still able to "coerce" people into attendance of AA despite a finding...

Perhaps it was not a supreme court finding?

Current Page: 17 of 21

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.