Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Radiant Life Church in Sacramento
Posted by: Deja Vu ()
Date: November 19, 2008 01:31AM

Smileygrl81,
It is nice having you on here. I give it up to you to go and research all the "rumors" you have heard. Most play the ignorant card because it is easier to ignore than it is to discover the truth and than admitting to it. Once again, once the admission of truth has been made, you and I are held accountable by our conscience and moral character to act on it.
You have made that leap! I am glad to see you out.

Also, in regards to this Soma Graduation, there was a secret meeting held by the class to vote members on or off the Island. My friend, Clare Bergland was not invited to come for the vote, yet was voted off the Island. She devoted her time to the class and the people there and to endless hours of BS. just because she was more inconsistant this last year, doesnt mean that she should have been canned. My heart hurts for her. I do not believe she was rejected, but blessed by God. Graduating from SOMA has absolutely NO value in heaven or on earth. BTW: It is interesting that Michael Waldrop got to graduate though even though he has not been present for a year. He left the church and still got to graduate.

Anyhow, just another cooky thing for a cooky church from a cooky leader.

-Ryan-

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ring barer ()
Date: November 19, 2008 02:01AM

Simleygrl,

Thanks for the post. I am always happy to see another person leaving and I am equally encouraged that you did investigating for yourself. To just call an organization a cult or a man dangerous without proper education into the matters can be refuted. What remaining members fail to realize is that their leader and their organization fits the facts that make up a cult. This in not up for debate and it is not opinion. Again I challenge everyone to go read and learn about cults and what they are comprised of… what practices they hold, what teachings the teach, how the leaders operate, etc… find out everything you can and then tell me it’s a rumor or just opinion. Don’t just believe what the leader is telling you what a cult is, go find out what it actually is and you will be equipped to make a credible decision at that point… but if you are just believing in faith that the leader is what he says he is and you take him at his word you do yourself a disservice and throw G-d given free will and objectivity to the waist side… test everything, question everyone, trust G-d…

Posted by: timeforchange ()
Date: November 19, 2008 02:43AM

When I left RLC I knew it was unhealthy and had many issues. I knew people weren't to be trusted and that authority had been abused. But truthfully, it wasn't until some time and distance came, I realized the bulk of the horror that lives there. Today, as Ring barer has stated, I truly realize the cultish behavior and true danger that breeds within its walls and the hearts of the exsisting leadership. Once you begin to do the research and really see truth for truth, with no filters, there is no riding the fence, no going back.

Good for you, all those who are asking questions, doing the research, finding truth! It's a long road out, but God is in the journey.

There is still truth to be found, if you will look. Unfortunately, it will not come from those within the walls of RLC. You may have to come and talk to the "dangerous" ones to hear what has happened. I urge you, it is not easy; but, keep looking and keep asking. God is still opening the eyes of His people. Those who have left really aren't dangerous; much to the opposite, they are the courageous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 02:53AM by timeforchange.

Posted by: Escapee07 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 05:07AM

This is in the About us section on the SOMA website...in perspective it is a bit creepy. I guess a good question to ask is, Anyone who has graduated SOMA, have you been propelled by that experience to your calling... What is wrong with an accredited ministry school and why isn't it what it "should" be.

History

Before there was SOMA, there were Tuesdays with Tony.

Tony Cunningham, senior pastor of Radiant Life Church in Sacramento, had already begun to apprehend a God-given vision for church-planting and leadership development in the 1990s. His weekly church staff meeting quickly grew into an ongoing, purposeful leadership development series, and over time more and more non-staffers began to fill up the room as well on Tuesday mornings. It was the mustard seed that was being prepared to move mountains.

In 2001, Tony sensed that the time had come for the compelling vision that he’d held in his heart: a school of ministry that would blow up every preconceived notion of what a ministry school should be. Its focus would be the compelling and releasing of the true body of Christ – an army transformed, and ready to transform, through selfless love and selfless leadership.

There were about 30 students on board when SOMA opened its doors in January 2002. Over the next three years, that first SOMA class was introduced to a challenging, original curriculum that was designed to confront students with the Word of God, confront them with the church, and confront them with themselves. Classes like Heart of David, Five-Fold Ministry, Spiritual Disciplines, Strategic Advance, and – of course – Leadership Development served to shape and refine in new and innovative ways.

The SOMA classes that have graduated since then have been wildly diverse – both in their personal backgrounds, and in their chosen paths after SOMA. Some have gone into vocational ministry. Some have planted churches (thousands of miles away). Some have become ministry leaders. Some have launched small businesses with the intent of helping to fund the church-planting vision. Some have become husbands, wives, or parents who ply their SOMA principles in their homes.

When SOMA announced that its three-year program would become a two-year program in 2008, it only intensified both the vision and the coming SOMA experience all the more.

After all, there is a body of Christ to be built up. There is a growing and equipping that needs to happen. There is no time to waste.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 05:11AM by Escapee07.

Posted by: HMajewski ()
Date: November 19, 2008 06:44AM

In 17 years there has been no progress. No lasting exponential growth. No prospering church plants. The so called "vision" is a lie. I was there, nothing ever changed!! People don't change, nothing is real, and there is no lasting fruit. Everything is fabricated!! For those that have recently left ... be free!! Life is good outside of the oppression. For those that are still there...it is hard to see in the midst of the madness, step back, allow yourself some space, and you will see the truth.......I promise. God is good and he never fails!!

Posted by: BraveHeart ()
Date: November 19, 2008 07:09AM

Here are some deep thoughts to ponder

My unresolved sin sensitizes me to the sin of others and I become their judge.

Striving to sin less leaves us dysfunctional and immature because it creates hiddenness.

There are 3 inhibitors to repentance:
Isolation.
Pride.
Wrong Motive.

Performance-obsessed cultures (like Radiant Life Church) can never promote healing.
Rather, they create more wounding.

Posted by: GodisFaithful ()
Date: November 19, 2008 07:43AM

HMajewski
In 17 years there has been no progress. No lasting exponential growth. No prospering church plants. The so called "vision" is a lie. I was there, nothing ever changed!! People don't change, nothing is real, and there is no lasting fruit. Everything is fabricated!! For those that have recently left ... be free!! Life is good outside of the oppression. For those that are still there...it is hard to see in the midst of the madness, step back, allow yourself some space, and you will see the truth.......I promise. God is good and he never fails!!

Very well summed up. I took 2 weeks to pray and seek outside counsel.... the one pastor said... "I never tell people to leave a church, but I have to say that you need to run" a cult will inundate and occupy as much of your time as possible to ensure you don't have time to re-consider what you're being taught/told. Just weigh it out and pray for guidance, go on a vacation so you won't draw attention to yourself if you have to.... just take some time away from it all and consider....

Posted by: smileygrl81 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 09:28AM

I think those who know and choose to stay are afraid. If they leave, they may lose everything they thought they had be it a job, extra money, or even comfort. I told one of my close church friends about it. She tells me she doesn't see any reason for her and her family to leave... since she's not in the inner circle, it poses no danger to her and her famnily. However, I feel that if you know something is wrong and you stick behind it, you may as well be a part of the organization... Doesn' the bible say something about not sticking around things or people you know are eveila dn to distance yourself? If you stay, you get caught up in the lies and you don't know whether someone is sincere or trying to swindle you... I'm glad God blessed me to get away and start fresh, It may be hard but I can do it. It is a blessing to get away without any real pain of suffering... especially being so close to the inner circle... I was close enough to where T.C knew my name and i was in the ministry. pEOPLE WERE ALREADY STARTING TO BUTTER ME UP AND WERE TELLING ME LIES! Glad I Got away! SHAME ON THOSE WHO SUPPORT EVIL DEEDS!

Posted by: whatajoke ()
Date: November 19, 2008 10:11AM

I will post this as a reminder from time to time.

To those of you at RLC who are still harboring children that are not yours:

TELL THOSE CHILDREN TO GO HOME AND REUNITE WITH THEIR FAMILIES. STOP USING THEM FOR RENT MONEY, SECURITY, BABYSITTING, HOUSECLEANING WHATEVER. YOU ARE PART OF THE DESTRUCTION. YOU ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF CHILDREN WHO MAY NOW BE ADULTS THAT WERE MANIPULATED IN A DESTRUCTIVE SYSTEM THAT TONY TRIED TO CALL A CHURCH. YOU HEAR ME PAUL. YOU ARE PERPETUATING EVIL. i KNOW I HAVE EXPERIENCED IT FIRST HAND. ANYONE ELSE STILL DOING SO ESPECIALLY ON WHITE PEACOCK. SEND THE CHILDREN HOME. THEY ARE BRAINWASHED AND WILL NOT DO IT ON THEIR OWN. IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO GO HOME SEND THEM OUT. STOP DESTROYING WHAT GOD CREATED AND INTENDED FOR GOOD. FAMILIES BELONG TOGETHER AND DONT GIVE ME THE CRAP ABOUT EVEN JESUS DENYING HIS OWN FAMILY. THAT IS TWISTED SCRIPTURE THAT WAS USED TO TRY TO MANIPULATE ME.

Sorry for the all caps. Not intended to shout but to stand out.

Date: November 19, 2008 10:15AM

smileygrl81
She tells me she doesn't see any reason for her and her family to leave... since she's not in the inner circle, it poses no danger to her and her famnily.

Interesting response. Just one problem with it ... its false. The Bible talks about the church being like a body. The body is made up of many parts but form one unit. If one part of the body is infected, at some point that infection affects all the members of the body.

Think of it like cancer. If the lung (a member of the inner body) has a cancerous growth and that growth is left unchecked, what happens? Eventually the cancer will enter the blood stream and infect other parts of the body, ultimately leading to a slow and agonizing death. Whether this friend realizes it or not what happens in the "inner circle" radiates outward eventually.

Jim Jones had his own inner circle. However it wasn't just the inner circle who eventually died at the hands of Jim Jones. Your friend has a common but very naive view. It is dangerous and can lead to pain and hurt over the long term.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.