Current Page: 6 of 13
Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: OrangeRev ()
Date: July 25, 2007 06:33AM

rrmoderator
OrangeRev:

This thread is about Calvary Chapel not the Church of God or the issue of accountability, other than accountability at Calvary.

Sorry ... you asked the questions as part of this thread ... I was merely responding to your questions ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 25, 2007 08:06AM

OrangeRev:

The questions were specifically part of a discussion about Calvary Chapel.

But if you wish to continue there is now a thread about Church of God accountability.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: eyerishroses ()
Date: July 28, 2007 05:08AM

hello All,

I have been sitting back and reading. So I am asking now , because 2 or 3 calvery chapel are bad does that make all of them bad? So are we to judge all calveries for what 1 or 2, 3, 4 does? Not trying to pick a fight here just want to know.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Date: July 28, 2007 05:27AM

eyerishroses:

Sadly the problems within Calvary is systemic and not easily resolved.

Perhaps some day when Calvary makes changes regarding accountability, financial transparency etc. things will get better and its problems resolved.

Chuck Smith isn't getting any younger. Maybe there will be changes after he is retired.

What Calvary seems to need is checks and balances regarding the power of its pastors.

But this doesn't mean that many of Calvary's pastors are not good men doing the best they can within the existing system.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Date: July 28, 2007 05:55AM

I would like to say, that I really do not think ohlinger is judging pelicangrl. I think she understood pelicangrl as trying to get a perspective on her relationship. I think that any church would have gave her the same advice or whatever you would want to call it, as we did.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Date: July 28, 2007 06:27AM

I just got done going to several different churches. I did it on purpose. I can name every church and the area I went to. I went up to preachers, pastors and priests etc.. I asked them all to show mw in the bible, where it says that one as a Christian in the US have attended and graduated from an accredited college and/ or gone on to seminary for a graduate degree. To be able to have there position in the church. Everyone of them said, " It is not in the scriptures. But to satisfy the goverenment, it is suggested to do so.
So I gather that, because people do not want to believe there is a God not unless, someone is or went to school tells them so. I find this very sad.
churches I went to were. St. Aidans episcopal, First covenant church (evangical), Terrace christain life center, Mill creek four square church, Praise chapel, Calvery lutheran, and First baptist church. So far these ones have answered me pretty much the same answer. That it does not say you have to go to school to be a teacher or preach or run a church.
Now I have not went to others churches such as catholic etc... not enough time. But I just might to see what there answer is.
Now as for the money issue, I would feel a little out of place to ask to see the records. I plan on going back to spokane for a visit here soon, I will be taking the time and going to go to calvery and say hi I will ask them. See what they say.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Date: July 28, 2007 07:31AM

eyerishroses:

You are going over the same exact issues already discussed in detail on this thread.

We are not living in the First Century and bible doesn't prohibit educational requirements for pastors to be ordained.

Accountability avoids problems.

You are essentially defending dictatorship.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: weblogas ()
Date: August 25, 2007 10:27AM

Hello Fellow Travelers
I spent 20 years going to Calvary Costa Mesa. Now I feel as if its all wasted.
I am totally convinced that this church is a cult.
While I have read various posts about the things that have gone in the Calvary chapel system there is even more.
Calvary leans towards Christian Zionism which, although has many Christian trappings ,it is not.
Christian Zionists want to usher in Christ's kingdom sooner than God does . In order to do this they have in the past and will continue in the present to meddle in the the affairs of sovereign nations in the Middle East.
Like the American Catholics of the 1930'S they have even provided guns to at least one settlement in the Negev Desert,Gush Katif. (I had seen the pictures of the weapons these people were providing to the settlement.)This is not the Christianity I was introduced to.
There is even an indication that one of the people involved in this may even taken part in the killing of a native Bedouin with the weapons he supplied.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: Vodnik ()
Date: August 25, 2007 05:07PM

"Frank Sumatra"
Pelicangrl,

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. As his girl friend where are you in all of this? Do you ever go to church with him? When do you see him if he is always at church or working/sleeping etc?

You mention AA and the Starbucks thing. Is your boyfriend in drug or alcohol rehab or is the coffee thing an afront to you? The LDS Mormons condemn coffee as a BIG sin per the teachings of Joseph Smith and his oft quoted Word of Wisdom utterance. (which is neither taught/mentioned in the Bible OR the Book Of Mormon BTW!) You mention your boyfriends guilt - guilt about what?

I am trying to understand how and why he has a relationship with you if his church is his life as you say. You say you go to your church once a week. What kind of church is it? What is their position on your outside their church relationship with this man?

In all honesty if Calvary Chapel was the cult you and others claim it is your boyfriend would have been given an ultimatim by now in regards to you. Cults must exercise control and they do it by enforcing rules in the camp such as 'no fraternizing outside the church or denomination'. He would have been told to bring you in or let you go and he would have told you to either come along or get lost.

Just curious and trying to understand more about what you say.

You're not curious at all.

Calvary Chapel Cult??
Posted by: Frank Sumatra ()
Date: August 25, 2007 05:48PM

And your point being? Please, by all means if you have something to say, then do so. I hardly think your drive-by one liner is either compelling in regards to our discussion nor is it enlightening. Given the nature of my inquiry(s) to Pelicangirl I would think it would be obvious that I am indeed curious about the situation she posted about and in fact very interested in how this all plays out.

So, don't beat around the bush... spit it out!

Frank Sumatra

"Vodnik"
"Frank Sumatra"
Pelicangrl,

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. As his girl friend where are you in all of this? Do you ever go to church with him? When do you see him if he is always at church or working/sleeping etc?

You mention AA and the Starbucks thing. Is your boyfriend in drug or alcohol rehab or is the coffee thing an afront to you? The LDS Mormons condemn coffee as a BIG sin per the teachings of Joseph Smith and his oft quoted Word of Wisdom utterance. (which is neither taught/mentioned in the Bible OR the Book Of Mormon BTW!) You mention your boyfriends guilt - guilt about what?

I am trying to understand how and why he has a relationship with you if his church is his life as you say. You say you go to your church once a week. What kind of church is it? What is their position on your outside their church relationship with this man?

In all honesty if Calvary Chapel was the cult you and others claim it is your boyfriend would have been given an ultimatim by now in regards to you. Cults must exercise control and they do it by enforcing rules in the camp such as 'no fraternizing outside the church or denomination'. He would have been told to bring you in or let you go and he would have told you to either come along or get lost.

Just curious and trying to understand more about what you say.

You're not curious at all.

Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.