Current Page: 48 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: Alchi ()
Date: July 20, 2010 12:47AM

SteveLpool
I sat through many talks given by travelling teachers over the years I was involved with DWB. Almost all of the travelling teacher talks were recorded at the centre I attended (and lived in for the last 12 months of my involvement) and I had the task of editing and making these recordings suitable for inclusion in the centres library resources. As a result I was able to listen to the talks by many different teachers in great detail several times over.

Without a doubt there are some very learned individuals who were able to explain the often complex Buddhist teachings in great detail. I think of Manfred Seigers as one example. I never really had an opportunity to sit and chat with him to see if all his knowledge had been put to good use thereby revealing a humanist with great compassion a quality I feel is appropriate for a Dharma teacher.

I raise this point because my experience of several travelling teachers left me quite disappointed and often had me question whether the practices actually worked!!?? I found several who were able to regurgitate what they had studied, academics amongst them, but when it came to putting the teachings into practice I found little empathy, compassion and warmth. Of course this is a subjective assessment and I am prepared to conceed that I may have been mistaken. Perhaps what I mistook for a lack of the above qualities may simply be due to cultural differences. But what I found with a number of travelling teachers was that they had filled their heads with these difficult concepts and overlooked what I consider to be a fundamental part in Buddhist teaching; the development of compassion and wisdom in equal measure.

Still other travelling teachers would arrive and talk about their adventures with Ole Nydahl. I always felt it was my duty to sit and feign how impressed I was with these Indiana Jones like adventures. Tales of Nydahl smuggling a hand gun through customs in South America, performing miracles during various stages of travel such as crashing a car into a tree only to discover that there was no impact but that the cars tyre track passed eaith side of the tree trunk (as if the car had somehow passed through a solid tree) and of his "superhuman" ability to work with almost no sleep for so many years.

I know that these talks were intended to present us with an example of a liberated teacher we could emulate. The idea being that this would propel us towards enlightenment. Nydahl would often say (and I grew tired of his clones trotting it out parrot fashion also) that it is pointless to keep checking experiences and your teacher. Perhaps he meant experiences with your teacher? But as I have said before on this forum, if we wish to cross a frozen lake we would quite rightly check the integrity of the ice before we ventured out across it. Only a fool would assume that because the ice didn't break for the first ten steps that the integrity with hold all the way to the other side!!!

This seemed to me like Nydahl (and his devotees) were trying to influence us. "If you check it and it seems OK then don't keep questioning it..... just relax and accept". If something seems to go against your values (Nydahl calls these "stiff ideas") then it is simply down to you lack of realisation.... because the Lama (in this case Nydahl) cannot be wrong!!!

So what did I learn from Nydahl's travelling teachers? A couple of them really did present some excellent talks which resulted in a deeper understand for me and a wish to understand more of the Buddhas profound teaching. To these few I say thank you. I feel your motivation was to share something precious out of a genuine wish to benefit others.

From the rest of his teachers..... I was given the impression that Nydahl is a juggernaut of an ego!!! I was left wondering just what these people really knew of Buddha's teachings? To wax lyrical about your adventures with Nydahl does not constitute a Dharma talk.... in my opinion.

And for the handful of others I encountered who saw the travelling teacher program as an opportunity to propogate race hate then shame on you.

Several UK travelling teachers I spoke to were also often dismayed with Nydahls rants against Islam but as far as I know never made a formal protest to him. I suspect this was so as not to lose their privileged travelling teacher status? Travelling teachers have their expenses met by the centres they attend on their itinery. They are given free food and lodging by the centres they visit. I do not find anything untoward in this. As far as I know non of the travelling teachers are paid for their work. But still there is a degree of kudos to be had as a travelling teacher. I have seen how they are fawned over at courses. I can only guess but I suspect the ego must bask in a warm glow of satisfaction given the amount of attention given to travelling teachers.

These are just my observation. Of course you must go and check out DWB for yourselves. But just because it "feels good" doesn't mean that it is good. Many find an active social group and friends to hang out with. This is fine. Just do not confuse this good feeling with a developing understanding of Buddha's teachings. If you find something is uncomfortable or doesn't meet with what you have come to accept as decent moral conduct then question it. DO NOT accept the idea that it is because of your lack of understanding. It might be due to a lack of understanding BUT it is your duty of care to yourself to question and check and oppose those things that are deemed unhealthy.

Afterall this is what Nydahl claims he is doing by being so forthright in his views on other religions, sexuality and politics.S

Good post again Steve.
The miracle tales are also present in Nydhal's book...Funny because you don't find these in dharma books by well known teachers. Ole seems to be in a massive ego trip bordering on delusion (Too much LSD in his youth maybe :) or/and he's a clever manipulator. It seems that some DWB member don't question this or even accept him as a reincarnation of Mahakala and has a "protector", I have participated to only a few sessions but the tales were recurrent ( miraculously saved from car accident, switching on a rainbow during a phowa etc...) It seems that there's a real ambition to participate to the writing of his own hagiography. This is not different from what we see in India with some of the most popular and questionable Gurus. Regarding his credentials, I haven't found any strong evidence of the 16th Karmapa actively promoting Nydhal, maybe someone can point me to some materials to read...The only widely available "endorsement" is the Sharmapa letter about his "lama" status. ( Which is not much when you actually read it carefully. After all there's hundreds of "lamas" in a country like Nepal alone.
Regarding the traveling teachers I have only met two: A friendly young russian woman, ...In charge of some teachings in the center, I don't think she was traveling much anymore and a 50 something polish teacher who was meant to do an introduction to buddhism session for an Open Day at the center, not impressive to say the least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 20, 2010 11:24PM

Another proof of nydalh involvement with the extreme right...Here's in the context of a protest against a mosque in Poland

[www.islamophobia-watch.com]

Shame on him.

PS: As every sane person I am appaled by muslim extrimism as I am equally appaled by christian or jewish extremism. But a so called buddhist teacher involved into this kind of stuff makes me feel sick.

Posted by: herbieZH ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:52PM

Hi all,

after reading through the whole thread here almost continuosly because most of it reflects my own experiences with DWB (since about 7 years)
I also want to add something on my own even though most important issues I second have been raised by several member of the group here,
most prominently by SteveLpool, suenam, Outsider, kate, and Wangdrag but also others.

In the last courses I attended (sometime around 2008) Ole was giving empowerment in Kalachakra. This alone may be OK but he motivated
this with all who took part in this empowerement - by doing so - to promise to defend Dharma actively against Islam.
Being always critical about Ole talking about Islam I refused two times to take this empowerment. When I did so most of the other sangha
members around me were dissapointed if not angry in my denial. This really puzzled me.

Anyone else having these experiences? I do not know a lot about the true nature and history of the Kalachakra. I only remember reading somewhere
that even the Dalai Lama was accused to give teachings about it without revealing its true nature which might really has something to do with anxiety about
being dominated by Islam once. In this regard Ole may be even more open about that. But the feeling that by "group force" you are asked to take
part in this even if you don't like it is not OK to me. And I got the feeling that Ole is even proud to collect such an "army" of followers who are willing
to fight to protect Dharma against Islam.

Cheers,

Herbie

BTW: I got to find this place here because - by chance - I found in the DWB newsletters some messages about the recent Shamarpa letters. Since
they have been removed before I got to read them myself I searched for ressources where to find them still. So I am really thankful to have met
many people here which are truely independent and critical thinking people, just the "brand" Ole thinks he is surrounded by. What a pity that DWB
is suffering from such a brain drain! Maybe, if we all had stayed, we could have made a difference! Not enough energy on my side though. I am now
looking for new teachers. Any suggestions where I can start my search (living in Switzerland).

Posted by: jah ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:30AM

herbieZH,

I am really curious what kind of kalachakra empowerment Ole was giving. Traditionally, if I am remembering correctly, there are a series of eleven possible empowerments. Was he giving one for the whole thing, do you recall. I'm also wondering who empowered him?

And yeah, that is pretty weird making people take a vow like that before an empowerment like that. Kalachakra is all about the energy of time and can thus have a very powerful effect on the world. Dalai Lama comes under criticism mainly because it is possible to have a destructive influence if the intent is not correct. He does it for peace. But doing it to resist Islam?!

What was your sense of this?

Posted by: vdesign ()
Date: July 22, 2010 04:15PM

Alchi,

Reports of "miracles" are actually quite common in Vajrayana. You will find many texts referring to the super-natural deeds performed by Sakyamuni, Padmasmbhava, Karma Pakshi, Drukpa Kunley and other great realised beings. There are also many reports of quite recent "miracles" performed by various teachers. I seem to remember that Namkhai Norbu in "Crystal and the way of light" wrote about historical cases of Illusory Body in 1950s in China. And then we have numerous recollection of people who met 16th Karmapa - his drivers, attendants, students, passers-by - all telling a similar story.

Ole's recollections of 16th Karmapa are not that unusual. I cannot comment on whether what allegedly happened to Ole later (near-accidents on bike, climbing fall in the Table Mountains, parachute mishap) is factual. I was not there and will not speculate. My gut feel is that Ole is incapable of deliberate lying so this is really not an issue with me. If my connection with Buddhism depended on whether Ole Nydahl really saw Lopon Tsechu dissolve into space then I would drill deeper but it does not.

Re: 16th Karmapa "promoting" Ole there apparently was a letter he wrote to the Danish Queen when he sent Ole and Hannah to teach Buddhism in Europe. I understand that Ole and Hannah, upon returning to Denmark in 1970s, were granted audience with the Queen and handed the letter in. I also understand that 16th Karmapa paid two visits to Europe where he was hosted and driven around by Nydahls. This goes some way to answering your question whether 16th Karmapa supported Ole's work in Europe.

Cheers

Date: July 22, 2010 05:32PM

herbieZH
Hi all,

after reading through the whole thread here almost continuosly because most of it reflects my own experiences with DWB (since about 7 years)
I also want to add something on my own even though most important issues I second have been raised by several member of the group here,
most prominently by SteveLpool, suenam, Outsider, kate, and Wangdrag but also others.

In the last courses I attended (sometime around 2008) Ole was giving empowerment in Kalachakra. This alone may be OK but he motivated
this with all who took part in this empowerement - by doing so - to promise to defend Dharma actively against Islam.
Being always critical about Ole talking about Islam I refused two times to take this empowerment. When I did so most of the other sangha
members around me were dissapointed if not angry in my denial. This really puzzled me.

Anyone else having these experiences? I do not know a lot about the true nature and history of the Kalachakra. I only remember reading somewhere
that even the Dalai Lama was accused to give teachings about it without revealing its true nature which might really has something to do with anxiety about
being dominated by Islam once. In this regard Ole may be even more open about that. But the feeling that by "group force" you are asked to take
part in this even if you don't like it is not OK to me. And I got the feeling that Ole is even proud to collect such an "army" of followers who are willing
to fight to protect Dharma against Islam.

Cheers,

Herbie

BTW: I got to find this place here because - by chance - I found in the DWB newsletters some messages about the recent Shamarpa letters. Since
they have been removed before I got to read them myself I searched for ressources where to find them still. So I am really thankful to have met
many people here which are truely independent and critical thinking people, just the "brand" Ole thinks he is surrounded by. What a pity that DWB
is suffering from such a brain drain! Maybe, if we all had stayed, we could have made a difference! Not enough energy on my side though. I am now
looking for new teachers. Any suggestions where I can start my search (living in Switzerland).

Hi Herbie,

Thanks for your post. Regarding the Kalachakra, and the DWB interpretation of it, this shows again the deep misunderstanding of it by Nydalh and how he wants to use it to promote or justify his hate for Islam. You can read a rather good explanation of the kalachakra here: [en.wikipedia.org]
You can see that the Dalai Lama has commented on some of the controversial aspects of the kalachakra. and He has setup the Kalchakra for World Peace.

Best,

Date: July 22, 2010 07:59PM

There is one thing I want to add regarding the Kalachakra: Ole clearly said that nobody has to do it if one feels
uncomfortable about it. And I believe him that he really meant that. But again: Group dynamics in the DW sangha
seem to be stronger than him because that little "guilt" feeling when not taking part of it was coming from
other sangha members who seem to believe it is our duty to do it without questioning.

After having thought more about it I come to the conclusion that it must be to some degree the "inner circle" around Ole
whol filters out information about these things going on in the sangha, rather than warning him about that.
I believe Ole is not aware of all the group dynamics and cult behaviour in the groups to a large degree.

Thanks for the link to infos about Kalachakra, I will read them soon.

Cheers

Date: July 22, 2010 08:47PM

jah
herbieZH,

I am really curious what kind of kalachakra empowerment Ole was giving. Traditionally, if I am remembering correctly, there are a series of eleven possible empowerments. Was he giving one for the whole thing, do you recall. I'm also wondering who empowered him?

And yeah, that is pretty weird making people take a vow like that before an empowerment like that. Kalachakra is all about the energy of time and can thus have a very powerful effect on the world. Dalai Lama comes under criticism mainly because it is possible to have a destructive influence if the intent is not correct. He does it for peace. But doing it to resist Islam?!

What was your sense of this?

Sorry I do not remember any details about the kind of kalachakra. And to be correct: I think it was an initiation not an empowerment, I guess there is a difference.

As to my sense during the course: I had a weird almost negative feeling for myself. Mainly because I never wanted to be involved in any anti-Islam activity especially in the name of Buddhism. Even though I do not question that one can be critical about certain aspects of it but not in this degree of generalization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 08:58PM by herbieZH.

Date: July 22, 2010 09:11PM

How to best quit this group?

May I ask for some advice on how to best leave the DW sangha? I am asking this myself even though I have not been
that active anymore in the last two years anyhow. But I would like to address my points to somebody upon leaving.
Whom should I contact with my concerns? I could write a mail to all in the mailinglist but is this appropropriate and wise?
At the same time I would like to avoid that anyone gets angry because of my critique - well I just want to do it in a way
a good Buddhist would behave.
And I am more and more questioning that I really learned that in the DW sangha... since this was my first and only
exposure to practising buddhism so far. :-/

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:37PM

I would advise against making a statement that you are leaving, no matter how private or public. This is because there is much gossiping in Diamond Way groups, and word will get around, no matter how much you may not want it to. Remember that the people in these groups tend to only be your friends as long as you are in the group. As soon as you tell them you are leaving, you may well be harassed, and they will find their own reasons to justify your leaving. Everyone I know who has left a Diamond Way group has been labelled by them as being 'not ready', 'afraid of freedom', 'mentally ill', 'having ego problems' or similar. That is part of the cult mentality, because in their minds Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way are so perfect that nobody would leave unless there was something wrong with them. In cults, the cult or cult leader is never at fault.

Current Page: 48 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.