Current Page: 52 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 24, 2010 01:32AM

Note, I practice in a non Tibetan tradition.

Some of the best dharma talks given were by one teacher who told us how and in what ways she applied practice to sitautions that came up when she inside or in the very difficult traffic conditions in the parking lot/car park at the local supermarket.

Another dharma talk that was spot on was given by a man who told us exactly in what ways he applied bodhichitta, sunyata and insight when he was given the brutal news that he had been dumped by his partner, and learned this moments before walking into the meditation hall.

Both teachers put the focus on how to apply practice and knowledge of the Dharma precisely when and were one is feeling incinerated and in pain from afflictive emotions--like standing next to a professor of surgery demonstrating a difficult procedure.

In this case, the surgeon and the ailing wounded person are the same.

The mark of a good teacher is when we walk out, we dont so much remember the teacher's own personality, we remember what was taught and are deeply curious about where it applies to us and how we perceive and behave with others.

If a teacher's stories, charisma or powerful personality persist as vivid after images, thats when mere charmisma is lingering in us as an intoxicant and the Bodhisattva vows warn us to beware of intoxicants.

Fame and charisma and mob mentality, force of personality become intoxicants when these linger in mind more than the Dharma teaching the famous person was supposed to be there to teach.

The best teachers, like members of a choir, vanish into the singing and what remains is the teaching or the music, not the personality of any one singer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 24, 2010 01:53AM

Hi Ayushman.

Sorry for the mispelling. Thanks for correcting me.

Cheers

Steve

Posted by: Ayushman ()
Date: August 24, 2010 02:21AM

The mark of a good teacher is when we walk out, we dont so much remember the teacher's own personality, we remember what was taught and are deeply curious about where it applies to us and how we perceive and behave with others.

If a teacher's stories, charisma or powerful personality persist as vivid after images, thats when mere charmisma is lingering in us as an intoxicant and the Bodhisattva vows warn us to beware of intoxicants.

Fame and charisma and mob mentality, force of personality become intoxicants when these linger in mind more than the Dharma teaching the famous person was supposed to be there to teach.

The best teachers, like members of a choir, vanish into the singing and what remains is the teaching or the music, not the personality of any one singer.

That is very true and very well put. It is one of the best guidelines when looking for a teacher. A good teacher points beyond himself to the lineage and to the authentic Dharma transmission. There is no ego trip involved. True humility, honesty and simplicity are the hallmarks of all genuine teachers.

Incidentally, there is a very good piece about the qualifications of a genuine teacher, posted on Shamar Rinpoche's own website. There is even a clear allusion about Mr. Nydahl inside...

[www.shamarpa.org]

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:59AM

I have been following Ole's antics for many years now. I must admit I am suprised that he keeps going. The recent spat, reported here, between him and Shamar is not surprising. I have always suspected that they disliked one another. In fact, they have very strange karma together. Shamar dislikes Ole's antics but needs him for the fund raising and the evangelising of new followers to bolster his cause. Ole dislikes Shamar because he knows he cannot be higher than him but he needs him to legittimise his link to the genuine karma kagyu lineage.

I see that in the last couple of weeks that Shamar has had an audience with the Dalai Lama - no doubt concerning the current impasse over the 17th Karmapa. I wonder if anything can be worked out. What would happen if Shamar does not need Ole any more (as he truly must wish)?

Ole's organisation is nowhere near as strong as he would like us to believe and to be honest is likely to disintegrate when he dies or is not able to keep up the punishing travel schedule. He claims in excess of 600 centres worldwide but I would question how realistic this is. Having spend many years around Tibetan Buddhism I have seen many small centres start up and disappear just as quickly when the main person behind the centre moves or loses interest.

How many of Ole's 600 centres are still active? How many actually have their own premises (whether owned or rented) and are not in fact the front room of member's home? How many have more than just a handful of members who meet one a week to hang out?

I shudder to think what will happen when Ole can lo longer sustain it all. I just hope it disappears quietly or will we see some bizarre attempt to have his tulku installed?

Posted by: Ayushman ()
Date: August 26, 2010 03:18AM

warrenz
I just hope it disappears quietly or will we see some bizarre attempt to have his tulku installed?

Not tulku, tulkuS. He will emanate, for sure. I doubt that it will be the traditional body, speech, mind, qualities and action though. This is just not modern enough. There will certainly be a tulku of charm, a tulku of parachute jumping, a tulku of nonsense talking, several anti-islamic-terrorist tulkus, and about ten womanizer ones. This will keep the lineage going for sure.

Date: August 26, 2010 04:56PM

Hi Ayushman
Frankly anything could happen. Ole is 70 I think next year and though he may have many years to go it is unlikely he can keep travelling at such a frenetic pace for many more years. Even with the attraction of women young enough to be his granddaughters. Without Ole’s charismatic presence his organisation is not going to be energised enough to maintain even the surely fictional number of centers he claims.

So what happens next? He has several dozen travelling teachers but none of these are Ole. What happens when they start jockeying for position as the new Alpha male? I foresee a rapid shrinkage in center numbers and numberous splits as Ole’s lieutenants try to carve out their own power bases in different countries.

What role Trinlay Thaye Dorje plays in this will also be interesting. I don’t really think they will try to find Ole’s tulku – Ole’s western students would not want a Tibetan coming in and imposing a new leader on them. However, Ole’s students make up the vast majority of TTD’s supporters and without them his claim (and financial support base) is even weaker. In fact, it is essential for TTD to take over Diamondway if he is to keep his candidature alive. How that will work I can’t see.

The rise of Orgyen Trinlay Dorje to the position of de facto figurehead-in-waiting for the Tibetan people for the interregnum between Dalai Lamas also seriously compromises TTD’s claims. By extension it also brings pressure on Ole’s group. They are already playing the typical cult card of oppressed minority and this will increase as OTD’s stature and influence increases. Could we see Diamondway groups protesting outside OTD teachings if the Indian government decides to stop appeasing China and lets him travel abroad more?

Things will change rapidly for Diamondway in the next few years. Ideally, I would like to see Ole students reintegrated into the main karma kagyu school. Will it happen? I fear not, alas.

Posted by: milarepa ()
Date: August 27, 2010 04:27PM

Hey guys,

Look at this message!

Dearest Friends,we invite you to take part in production of 'Lama24h'.The movie will be our gift for Lama Ole's 70 birthday. Everybody who wants to join the project is asked to send few euros every month till the end of 2011. All the names of the people who will take part in this project
will be mention at the end of the documentary.

The first full-lenght documentary film about life and activity of Lama Ole Nydahl !

Wow. I just do not understand why do i need to send money till the end of 2011!!!!! I assume when you are planning to make a film you have already the budget.
And i have a little knowledge of making films. So they can use ready filmed materials and pictures what and this procedure does not requre too much money.
They need have recently documented time as well so they should film at least four five hours of it. the tapes the camera hire would not be more then 500 euros.
The editing process can take more money but there are people who would do that for free anyway. So where the money will go?

Oh ye by the way the mo what ole did (if he can do it or just his mouth big) did not help for London Centre as duffy hall has been sold. So what now? What is going to happen with all the money and all the projects the plan (as they had already an architect plan even the house was not theirs)?

So who wants to get involved hehehe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 04:44PM by milarepa.

Posted by: milarepa ()
Date: August 27, 2010 04:29PM

Does anyone want to get involve to make a film but not just the about the beauty of diamond way buddhism? To film reality and not just the cult side of it? If someone would be happy to participate please let me know!!! ( It is a serious invitation)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 04:38PM by milarepa.

Date: August 27, 2010 05:38PM

While I wouldn't pay any money to have it made. I would love to see it. I am sure it will end up on Youtube or Google video fairly soon anyway. The hagiographic nonsense that comes out of DW is usually hilarious (as well as disturbing in parts).

I read "Rogues in Robes" (the story of Ole's involvement in the Karmapa controversy) a few years ago by Ole's side-kick Tomek Lehnert and it's treatment of Ole was very funny. The noble, wise Viking warrior who could see past the shenanigans of those greedy, un-educated, unwashed Tibetans. It attacked nearly every major Kagyu teacher (even some since claimed as supporters of Shamar R) with only Ole able to understand what was really going on. In the end, in his role as Dharma Protector, Ole recognises the true Karmapa and saves the Kagyu lineage from itself. I nearly choked I laughed so hard!

It'll be interesting to see if this movie, if it ever gets made, contains the same self-aggrandizing guff.

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 27, 2010 08:20PM

A film exposing Diamond Way as the cult it is and Ole Nydahl as the fraud he is would be great to spread around youtube.

Current Page: 52 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.