Current Page: 46 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: suenam ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:42AM

-
I have a question for Outsider, as I haven't heard of any DWB members teaching in UK schools - in which countries is this happeneing?

-------

also - to return to the idea of Ole using his alleged spirituality as a means to get laid...

in fact, if Ole's sexual conquests were ends in themselves, this would seem to elevate their importance, and would also suggest the Ole had his feet on the ground/ was living in the real world...

what I am suggesting is that the real end product is for Ole to believe his own hype, and that he is simply using these women to help create that myth about himself....

these sexual conquests are simply a means to bolster Ole's ego, and his fantasy about being an emanation of "Mahakala" - the protector of wisdom.

That's why the problem with DWB is far worse than a few unwanted pregnancies and broken hearts, Ole is engaged in an idealogical battle for the hearts and minds of many young lost souls and on a wider level, for the claim to the leadership of the Karma Kagyu lineage via the controversy surrounding the 17th Karmapas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 01:42AM by suenam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: June 19, 2010 08:08PM

I don’t think Nydahl is adding “notches to his bed post” in order to believe his own hype? It certainly enhances his reputation amongst the young idealists he hopes to draw into his ranks but I think his conceit needs no support. He already believes his own hype!!

As for Nydahl trying to gain control of the Karma Kagyu through the 17th Karmapa I just don’t think this will happen? It appears Sharma Rinpoche wishes to put some distance between Nydahl and the Karma Kagyu (one just has to read his posts about finding an authentic teacher and about teacher qualifications). Though not naming Nydahl explicitly I have a feeling he alludes to Nydahl in his comments.

Nydahl already appears to be grooming Caty for his job after he passes on. He has recently informed students that they should see no difference between he and Caty. So I suspect that this is so control is passed to her without too much struggle? I may be mistaken though? I have heard it mentioned that Nydahl has said that the Diamond Way will not be passed into the control of Karmapa or the Tibetans with particular reference to DWB finances. I’ve not heard this first hand so perhaps someone else can confirm or refute this?

As for Nydahl being an emanation of “Mahakala”, this really bolsters this idea of Nydahl being some kind of Buddhist warrior. An idea he seems to like and promote. It always amused me that he could remember being some kind of Tibetan freedom fighter fighting Chinese oppression but never mentions any “un-glamourous” occupations from past lives.

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: June 20, 2010 04:34AM

Thanks for your feedback Steve.

- although I agree that Ole does already believe his own hype, and that his behaviour does serve to convince theses young idealists, nevertheless, Ole seems to feel the need to prove himself still, not only with his sexual conquests, but also with his other escapades. Personally I feel that Ole is lacking a mature and grounded confidence in his own claims (unsurprising given their fantastical nature) - perhaps he feels that he has to show both himself and others that he is not past it?

- again, in respect to the leadership of the Karma Kagyu lineage - I hope that you are right and that Shamarpa is wise to Ole's antics - I still get the impression that that is Ole's ambition, and one of the reasons why he is trying to build such an "army".

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: June 20, 2010 06:46AM

Hi Suenam.

Sadly I think Ole's drug taking days may have cast a lasting shadow on his ability to make any real sense of his place in DWB. I have friends who have taken hallucinogens and to this day they really can't quite "make it back" if that makes sense. I suspect that many of his far out tales from his early involvement are nothing more than flash backs, assuming he was off drugs at the time? Fair play to him for warning his students off taking drugs these days but I've seen him taking snuff on more than one occasion and then witnessed some of his students taking it during a Phowa course!!! As I've said in previous posts, "monkey see, monkey do", and here in lies the problem. Some of his followers feel the need to copy his actions. "Ole Clones" I believe they are called within some parts of DWB by those practitioners who are a little more level headed.

Once Ole has passed on then we will see some action from those who wish to fill the vacuum. I suspect that Diamond Way Buddhism may well start to fragment without Nydahl at the helm. For all my criticism of him he is charismatic and able to attract loyal followers. I've not met anyone within the organization who even comes close? As for it's development within the UK? Unless he can start attracting members of the BNP then I feel his attempt at swelling the ranks from the British is a lost cause. At least I hope so.

Posted by: zara11 ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:38AM

Very interesting article from Shamar Rimpoche(the second most important figure in Karma Kagyu tradition after Karmapa) regarding Lama Ole and his understanding of Tantric sex practice and how westerners see this practice:

[www.shamarpa.org][tt_news]=42&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=c8dc857de4

Here some interesting parts:

"Lama Ole came to India as a hippie who did everything with wild energy. Although His Holiness the 16th Karmapa advised him to calm down, he never criticized him directly as he was a westerner. Actually Lama Ole's fascination with tantric sex is not exceptional, most of the western hippies who were interested in Buddhism liked it very much. In that respect he is not different from them, he has simply been louder than most about it. Kagyupa Lamas taught hippies the most about yabyum practice. Of course they taught it according to the ancient tantric traditions but western hippies understood it as a practice to turn their sexual desires and habits into meaningful sex."

"Whenever Lama Ole visited me, he always talked to me about how wonderful it is that he learned all about tantric union practice from Kalu Rinpoche and Tenga Rinpoche. He thought it was just marvelous. Even though I couldn't understand English and he could not yet speak much Tibetan, I understood words like "dewa chenpo" ("great bliss") and "yabyum" ("male/female", the term for deities in union and union practice), which he would say while crossing his arms in front of his chest in the mudra of union. Then he would hug Hannah at the same time. In that way he combined the hippie lifestyle with tantric conduct."

"The only difference between Lama Ole and many other western Vajrayana practitioners is that Lama Ole publicly says everything and also encourages his followers to think the same way as he does. A consequence of Tibetan Lamas having taught Vajrayana to westerners in the first place is the view that sex is the heart of Vajrayana practice. My understanding of this can be described as follows: it appears that many western Vajrayana followers have taken sexual Tantra as their path. That path consists of preliminary sex, intermediate sex, excellent sex, and finally supreme sex. I do not mean to say that Lama Ole only teaches about sex. Of course he teaches beneficial practices such as Chenrezik, Phowa, etc.. When he teaches Phowa there are even clear signs that the practice is successful."

Date: July 10, 2010 03:05AM

regarding my last post... Apparently Ole didnt like what Shamarpa had to say about him and he wrote him a reply lol:

“What I here state – hopefully to your satisfaction – is that I never taught anything I was not asked to pass on by the great sixteenth Karmapa, and that the basis is always the Guru Yogas of the Karmapas. I do teach the 16th Karmapa and 8th Karmapa meditations, the Mahamudra text of the 3rd Karmapa, refuge meditation, Ngondro practices, and Mahakala as daily practices for my students. Additionally, I hold Phowa courses and explain Chenrezig, Medicine Buddha, Clear Light and Tsepame meditation. In some centers they do Nyungne and Tara as well. Nothing else is practiced in our now 650 Diamond Way centers worldwide where my students meditate side by side and are fully dressed. They follow the classical texts, read aloud in their own language, and we actually informed you of this many times.” (Extract from response written by Lama Ole Nydahl)..."

But Shamarpa had his reply to this too:

"Thank you for your clarification regarding the reputation you have for teaching sex as a Vajrayana practice. I appreciate that you took the time to respond and I am happy to hear that it is not true, as you explained the particular details of the Diamond Way practice curriculum. My statement was really general, reflections on my own experience as I have watched the spread of Tibetan Buddhism in Europe and America over the past 30 years. I have observed that many teachers who promote a new religious tradition in their country, places where that tradition is not native, use that new religion to simply promote their own interests and views.

Regarding your own teachings about sexuality, you clarified that you are simply advising people to not feel guilty about sex. That is correct, but unless there is some sexual misconduct to correct - such as splitting couples, molestation, or rape - I feel that sex is not an appropriate issue to teach in a religious center. It is proper that couples enjoy their sexuality, but it is their own private business. It is not a subject that requires explanation, promotion or inquiry. It does not require analysis in religious or political contexts. Except for its important place in health education, it is not a subject that requires discussion. Rather it is an area where maintaining one's dignity is most important.

Thank you again for your response in which you clarify that you are not teaching sex as Dharma."

Shamarpa

Lol I think this was a very sarcastic reply from Shamarpa, it was more of a critic than anything for mentioning sex in his talks... lol

I took both replies from Shamar Rimpoche´s website:
[www.shamarpa.org][tt_news]=43&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=d98f988738

Posted by: Luis Peru ()
Date: July 10, 2010 04:45AM

I think the Sharmapa have a good point. Im agree with him in all points.

No more to say about Lama Ole.

Posted by: Nyalaana ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:28PM

Shamar Rinpoche about sex as a subject in centers:
Shamar Rinpoche
Rather it is an area where maintaining one's dignity is most important.

What a statement. Might it possibly be that Rinpoche is hinting that the way Ole treats sex (as a subject in centers or just with his unhidden sexual conduct) led to that Ole was not able to maintain his dignity. Or am i putting words into Shamar Rinpoche here?

Date: July 14, 2010 02:53AM

Letters from Lama Ole to Shamarpa..... a little agressive, dont u think?

No.39/10
Author: Lama Ole Nydahl
Date: 10 July 2010
Subject: From Lama Ole Nydahl.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dearest Dharma friends everywhere,

As the purity of the Dharma and the confidence among us is so important in our lives, and Shamarpa Rinpoche seems incapable of posting my replies together with his allegations, conditions force me to publish my recent exchange with him first on DWBN, then on my website, and if he does not by then retract his wrong information, to have it follow his statements everywhere they went.

I am doing this in the name of honesty which is necessary for the Buddha-Dharma to live and grow and am most unhappy that this came to be.

Yours Lama Ole Nydahl

08. July 2010 letter to Shamarpa Rinpoche:

Here my answer to your most astounding statements posted recently on your webpage. I hope it is convincing to you and will bring you to withdraw your alligations. Every moment they spend on the net brings massive harm to our common work world-wide and our Karmapa and what we need least of all at present is a further split in our already diminished lineage. Therefore please withdraw your statement as early as possible. People read it around the world and it is truly important.

Yours Lama Ole

from a Ngöndro-course in Rødby, Denmark

Most esteemed Shamarpa Rinpoche,

I thank you for your kind interest in my work posted on your webpage and am most relieved that you apparently think that outer political attacks on our lineage have finished and that we now have the pleasure to publicly clarify our inner approach to our noble teachings and transmissions. May you be right. Otherwise your words will harm decades of idealistic work done by countless good people.

Here to your recent statements concerning our conversations during your youth. Due to your great kindness, you apparently listened to Hannah and me speaking of our happy marriage and blessed us by your presence even when you hardly understood the language we were speaking and – being a monk – also were in no position to evaluate the subject-matter.

What pleased Hannah and me so much at that time, was that the teachings we received were truly great and useful to the many non-celibate and highly educated westerners who were at that time discovering a guilt-free spirituality fit for families and couples.

Seeing the beautiful and attractive statues and thangkas of Buddhas in union we saw in Tibetan Buddhism a unique path to living together totally, bringing methods of wisdom, space and joy together in a liberating way, while avoiding the unhealthy suppression of the religions we knew. That was why we so joyfully spoke of our deep bonds from many lives, which always gladdened H.H. the 16th Karmapa who was like a father to us.

Please don’t underestimate the great teachers who taught us during these years. Their eminences Kanjur Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Kalu Rinpoche, Tenga Rinpoche and others definitely had real life-experience and always blessed Hannah’s and my relationship. Certainly they were above saying one thing to us and something different when pressed by others or when seeking a quick advantage from them. This is why they are useful today, have lasting friends and are truly respected. They were real men on all levels.

What I here state – hopefully to your satisfaction – is that I never taught anything I was not asked to pass on by the great sixteenth Karmapa and that its basis was always the Guru Yogas of the Karmapas. Nothing else is practiced in our now 650 Diamond Way centers world-wide where my students meditate side by side and are fully dressed. They follow the classical texts read aloud in their own language and we actually informed you of this many times. It was to preserve the purity of our Kagyü practice that we stopped the Dharmadhatu in Europe and warned against it in America.

I must therefore admit to asking myself from where you get those fantasies and such wrong information? After 30 years of our close cooperation you should really know better: Your – as my – western students have normal healthy relationships and though they show their affection more openly than Asians, it is their search for happiness and not extreme practices which bind them together. They make beautiful families and support our free societies.

If in the future you ask me before making such sweeping statements, we can avoid giving those who dislike us such excellent ammunition for attacking our lineage, work and above all our Karmapa. If there is any spell against our work, we must not feed it such choicy bits. They have dramatic consequences worldwide and harm countless good Buddhists in their practice and social standing.

Your advertisement for your Bodipath centers I find logical, understandable and clear. It will surely activate those people you work with and you have my best wishes. May you benefit all who have a connection to you and thus fulfill your noble aspirations.

08/07/10 Rødby retreat center.

Always exciting, this life.

Yours Lama Ole Nydahl

P.S. Any woman worldwide who has received sexual Tantra teachings from me will upon confirmation receive $1000.

9. July 2010 email to Shamarpa Rinpoche:

Dear Shamar Rinpoche,

Apparently I didn’t make myself completely clear. Please add the following to your webpage. Otherwise I would have to publicly protect my name and work which probably neither of us wishes.

Hopefully the last statement for your webpage:

"I give no teachings on sex or sexuality. When requested by my students, I provide general private guidance about whichever part of their life they seek assistance for, but it is not and has never been Hannah's or my activity to teach sexual tantra. As my teachers have told me, it is not compatible with modern lifestyle without proper instructions and long and focused retreats, advice that I pass along when asked.

As you know, we always have worked for and continue to work for H.H. Karmapa and the Kagyü transmission, teaching Buddhadharma."

Please also remove your general allegations against Western students. They are baseless and not a useful way to present each other within our lineage.

With best wishes from a pleasant Ngöndro course in Denmark,

Yours,

Lama Ole

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: July 14, 2010 03:50AM

Any woman worldwide who has received sexual Tantra teachings from me will upon confirmation receive $1000.

Is Ole Nydahl now bribing his female followers to have sex with him?

His aggressive accusative tone is typical of how he always deals with any criticism. To say he doesn't take criticism well is an understatement. I guess that is the sign of any control freak cult leader such as Ole Nydahl.

Current Page: 46 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.