Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:30AM

It's not a lifestyle which I would personally choose but at least he's no longer (as far as i'm aware) selling McKay's propaganda on our streets. That is the most important thing. The main aim of this thread has always been to stop Dave McKay recruiting more victims/followers.

Ash is probably still in denial. A few years in McKay's cult can do that to a person so it's hardly surprising. It's not easy admitting to yourself that you've wasted years of your life. He's clearly still at the stage where he's trying to convince himself that his freegan/activist/squatting lifestyle is ''changing'' the world when actual fact he's just wasting the tax payers money. The police have better things to do with their time than to spend hours chasing after squatters and policing pointless demonstrations/protests which mostly achieve nothing. The vast majority of these freegans/activists/squatters just want an easy life. The reality is they don't want to get out their bed every day and work for a living like the rest of us. Fortunately most of them grow out of it eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 03:32AM by Apollo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fortissimo ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:58AM

"Freegan" activists like Ash are actually depending on society NOT changing its habits, in order to sustain their lifestyle. What's so great and commendable about that?

Date: June 02, 2011 07:58AM

Jon Ronson has a new book out which has a section on Dave McKay.

[books.google.com]

Date: June 02, 2011 08:40AM

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Here's an interesting case which has recently hit the headlines in the UK.

Date: June 02, 2011 09:28AM

Fortissimo
"Freegan" activists like Ash are actually depending on society NOT changing its habits, in order to sustain their lifestyle. What's so great and commendable about that?

Yes, and it's also against the law to raid supermarket bins.

Date: June 02, 2011 03:38PM

How about me walking across the desert with a sign reading,

"The END is near!...

...for David McKay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 03:39PM by Malcolm Wesley WREST.

Date: June 02, 2011 03:50PM

I may well need some "counselling" then,

as I would still remain a little supportive of Ash in his "freegan/activist/squatting" lifestyle,

even if I suspect, as Apollo has remarked, that he may well "grow out" of it (more "grow BEYOND" it really), one day...

From full-on "Jesus Christian" to hard nosed "systemite"...is TOO big a step, all at once....recovery from McKay-think takes a few years

Yes, there is a certain "shallowness" to alternative communities....

I think some of the questions that they pose, may be right though, even if the "anwers" they offer, aren't quite.....

(...and thank you for all the links Apollo!)

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: June 02, 2011 07:32PM

What is missing from Ash's life in his current choice of a "freegan/activist/squatting" lifestyle, is the heavy, coercive hand of Davejc, constantly monitoring and correcting the thoughts and behaviour of the followers and ensuring that all pay at least lip service to his regimented world-view and his pose as an all-knowing authority.

I doubt that Ash will ever be a hardnosed 'systemite'--such a complete and sudden reversal would itself be a cause for concern--but at least now he has the option to find his own direction in life (which takes time and some trial and error for each person ) and not labour for any longer under the oppressive thumb of Davejc.

One of the very few good things about growing up in a cult and then leaving its crap behind is the knowledge that such crap and any future crap that one might, for a time, unwittingly espouse is not a permanent and ineradicable driver of behaviour--humans can and do change.

Its just the likes of Davejc who cannot. I am glad I don't live inside his head.

Posted by: Blackhat ()
Date: June 02, 2011 10:38PM

I am finding all this speculation about freeganism to be totally off-topic.

Dave used the freegan movement to recruit, that is clear. People like Ash and Grace have gone back to where they were before Dave seduced them from that movement

That they retain links with a movement that they were interested in before meeting McKay and his recruits shows nothing other than they have returned from whence they came.

Casting aspersions on other movements where Dave recruited is actually not on topic. Those people were victims, and they have cut off ties with the cult which recruited their kidneys.

Date: June 03, 2011 01:11AM

Blackhat
I am finding all this speculation about freeganism to be totally off-topic.

It's become one of McKay's main ''teachings'' so it's definitely not off-topic.

Blackhat
Those people were victims, and they have cut off ties with the cult which recruited their kidneys.

Have they really though?

I think Ash may have cut off ties with the group but i'm not sure the same can be said of Grace who still clearly publicly supports the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 01:12AM by Apollo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.