Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: March 23, 2017 10:53PM

light777 wrote in part: “When I have talked to family / friends about the control the church had on us, it was beyond perplexing for them to grasp and understand. The main reaction I get is, "but you were an adult, why did you allow it?" And of course, my answer, because I truly thought at the time that if I left, I would lose everything that I had come to know and mostly believed... including some of my own blood family who are still in the cult. I would also not be able to enter into the kingdom, so I guess that meant that I could have possibly gone to hell. WOW... what a mind _ _ _ _!!!”

--------------

The “mind” you’re describing seems for the most part nearly identical to the one I’ve been fighting against and trying to destroy for the past thirty-plus years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: March 23, 2017 10:58PM

Howmidoing,
I appreciate your courage in being so upfront about your experience in TLWF. Obviously, you should not have had to go through this. Unconscionable. The place has been, and still is, a travesty--on all levels. That is my humble opinion :)
Meanwhile, Gary is focusing on bringing oneness to the Christian world. If anyone is capable and worthy of doing this--it is him. I shudder to think what Rick is up to...

Posted by: filthy apron ()
Date: March 24, 2017 03:00AM

I'm filthy apron, sending you hugs. Appreciate your honestly, from a former COL kid- I'm here.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 24, 2017 04:52AM

light777 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > 4. My love and zest for life has / had diminished
> significantly... feeling very usurped, however my
> struggle with this, as with all of the other PTSD,
> is that only I can allow myself to own these
> feelings, or the circumstances that created this.
> When all is said and done, it is me that has to
> let go... easier said than done, but true.
>
>

Sometimes I think if there is one word to describe it all is "thwarted."

Ben if you care to comment, I 'd be interested to know what dad Stevens or even Francis told you. I read on this forum that dad Stevens and JRS had a falling out towards the end. Everyone loved dad Stevens.

Filthy apron I'm glad you posted. I've been jealous of your screen name....so edgy.

Anyhoo.....you guys think I should go with the soft touch toilet paper or the regular?

Posted by: filthy apron ()
Date: March 24, 2017 06:16AM

-Filthy apron I'm glad you posted. I've been jealous of your screen name....so edgy.

Lilly Rose,
Don't be to jealous the only way you get that particular moniker is being slave labor in a multitude of "kingdom" kitchens.
I haven't posted in a long time (years) but I read and keep up with you guys. I'm so saddened by the recent posts. I have now been excommunicated for well over 20 years. You can look me up starting on page like 102-108 I think...
For the past several months I've been struggling with a sense of responsibility that I can't quite explain.
Howamidoin'
I don't know what to say but thanks for being brave and resilient!

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 24, 2017 08:58AM

Probably the most important lesson I got from the School of Prophets in Shiloh was this: when purchasing toilet paper, pick a color that matches your aura. : )

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 24, 2017 09:48PM

Light, thank you for listing those 6 points. I have to say they are spot on. Especially points 5 & 6. However in point 5, my feeling often is not anger but more shame. How could I have been so stupid to waste decades of my life belonging to this toxic cult?

Also these recent TV shows are all good:

Scientology and the Aftermath
Going Clear
The Path
Holy Hell
Jonestown: Paradise Lost

While the beliefs might be different, the cult methods are similar. I think anyone who is or was in the Living Word will recognize these methods. All to familiar to ignore.

Date: March 25, 2017 01:00AM

In his teachings, John carefully cultivated an environment where he could control the minds of the congregants--and have them believe and do things they probably would have regarded as absolute lunacy before joining the Walk. Think of how many times he would warn the congregation of the dangers of being independent...& the futility of searching the scriptures, apart from authority, to find direction in one's life. References to the Sadducees and Pharisees missing out on God's moving were cited frequently...especially how they missed out on God's moving, because it manifested in a way that appeared contrary scripture. The learned and wise were baffled, and became the enemies of God. Yes, John said that each person was to have a personal relationship/revelation of God, believe they could hear from God personally, but that statement was overwhelmingly countered by his constant emphasis on submission to the authority structure ('divine order'), later tweaked by G & M to a system of designated relationships, where everyone in the fellowship could experience the delight of having someone who personally dominated their lives, showing them the way. The fruit of this system was pure misery...at least for the submissive.

Date: March 25, 2017 01:01AM

291,262 page views to date...
(not that I pay attention to this kind of stuff)

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: March 25, 2017 03:26AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In his teachings, John carefully cultivated an
> environment where he could control the minds of
> the congregants--and have them believe and do
> things they probably would have regarded as
> absolute lunacy before joining the Walk. Think of
> how many times he would warn the congregation of
> the dangers of being independent...& the futility
> of searching the scriptures, apart from authority,
> to find direction in one's life. References to the
> Sadducees and Pharisees missing out on God's
> moving were cited frequently...especially how they
> missed out on God's moving, because it manifested
> in a way that appeared contrary scripture. The
> learned and wise were baffled, and became the
> enemies of God. Yes, John said that each
> person was to have a personal
> relationship/revelation of God, believe they could
> hear from God personally, but that statement was
> overwhelmingly countered by his constant emphasis
> on submission to the authority structure ('divine
> order'), later tweaked by G & M to a system of
> designated relationships, where everyone in the
> fellowship could experience the delight of
> having someone who personally dominated their
> lives, showing them the way. The fruit of this
> system was pure misery...at least for the
> submissive.

"later tweaked by G&M". Using Eph 5:21. Blew Paul's intentions out of the water. Taking it to unbiblical extremes. BTW, G&M's TP. Embossed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.