Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: April 20, 2015 04:02AM

Same here, FCSLC. The one trait they seemed to have in common was empathy. They weighed what impact the actions required of them might have on other people... bucking the 'shut up and do what you're told' credo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 21, 2015 04:33AM

BTW, a very short list of ministries who I felt were treated dishonorably by G & M were Bob McClane, Dan Statton, John Miller and Mike Shermerhorn.
In Bob's case, I found out about his death when Gary announced it during a church service. He labeled him a spiritual failure, and chastised those that knew Bob for not looking out after his health.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: May 08, 2015 03:54AM

This is an interesting read.

[www.rawstory.com]

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 09, 2015 03:12AM

I find it tragic that the woman in the article that paleface recommended as an interesting read walked away from her relationship with Jesus because of the interpretation of the role of women that her church and husband followed.

For many years, there has been a growing body of biblical critiques of the role of women in Christianity, much of it coming from female biblical scholars. If you have a problem with the F-word, feminism, the studies may not be your cup of tea. And while there is a broad spectrum of view points on this subject, some of the writings are enlightening.

There is so much out there on this subject that it is hard sift through the many view points. However, if you are interested in digging deeper into this subject you could read, "Feminist Biblical Studies in the Twentieth Century," at sbl-site.org.

Oftentimes, I think that Christian women screw up their priorities and believe they should submit to their husbands or pastor before Christ. I think the Bible is clear on this. If a husband or pastor tells a woman to do something that would cause her to be disobedient to the teachings of Christ, then she shouldn't do it. Tragically, I think some women faced this dilemma while in the LW.

Date: May 09, 2015 08:24AM

Oops! The PDF doc that I posted above (sbl-site.org) is not the one I should have posted because the doc only contains an overly scholarly like introduction and does not contain the different authors and articles found in the book... which is good read.

If this subject is of interest to you, try "Feminist Biblical Interpretations" by Samantha Gerstein at artsci.uc.edu (It's an insightful study of Rebecca.)

Date: May 10, 2015 04:28AM

I was asked if I was a bible feminist? Not sure what that means as many define it differently. I read one commentator who said that if I make a remark that I feel like a door mat, people immediately say you must be a feminist. lol

I tend to think that in Paul's letters about women submitting and being subordinate to men etc., Paul is possibly describing the order of creation after the fall. Then when Paul also says that in Christ there is no male or female, etc., Paul is describing a new order of creation in which the issue of subordination and submission of women to men becomes less and less (blurred lines) or none existent as both sexes take on a new Christ like nature.

I'm not sure of TLWF's views of the role of women, but I think possibly (I guess I am being a flame thrower here) some men had/have a problem with M because they had/have a problem with women having authority. Of course I am not talking about anyone who posts on this forum.

My recent posts on this subject (though awkwardly written) were prompted by paleface's post about a woman who walked away from Christianity because she felt oppressed and abused by her husband because of her churches fundamentalist view of the role of women. I felt strongly about that because the woman in the article maybe didn't know that Christ can make a way for her in another church that doesn't subscribe to those fundamentalist views about women. Those fundamentalist views of the role of women are changing and evolving as the church reasons together in discussions and appreciates new insights into the Scriptures regarding the role of women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 04:33AM by lily rose.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: May 10, 2015 07:59AM

I’m glad Jesus said, “God is Spirit.”

A prism can separate “sunlight” into its many colors and humans can argue about which color is dominant, which color is weak,
which is worthy, which was created first, which colors must submit to the others and so on.

Unhealthy churches strain at the differences while healthy churches enjoy the “light.”

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: May 10, 2015 11:58AM

Lily and FCSLC -- thank you. so well said.

Date: May 11, 2015 10:02PM

I'm off to work...but when I get back I'll hopefully join the conversations with you sons/daughters of Anak.
Wishing everyone a great Monday!

Date: May 12, 2015 02:19AM

Since changedagain brought up the sons of Anak, I have a lingering question. I was reminded of a post that I read on fact net (don't know if it was accurate) that Larry Makuakane (he drove the van for JRS and pastored a while in Hawaii) ended up a neph channel turning against and cursing JRS. Prior to reading this, it seemed to me that within the LW only females were identified as nephs. I also read that not too long ago, Larry's daughter became a pastor. Does anyone know Larry's story? He was very kind to me when I worked at the LW and I find it hard to fathom he could have been a neph.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.