Current Page: 11 of 28
Getting back my life and thoughts after LGAT/ Landmark
Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: May 02, 2007 12:07AM

skeptic
MercurialMere
After that whole experience, it would be very hard for me to trust another therapist entirely.

Same here. I have made several attempts at therapy to get past the cult experience. One of the attempts (re-evaluation counseling) I now learn derives from scientology. Two other group therapists talk/ed (one current, one past) the new-age stuff, e.g. energy flows where attention goes. When I hear that crap, I feel very alienated in the "therapy", even pissed off. I agree that this crap seems to have seeped into many, many minds, seriously contaminating how people think. It is scary. It really is like a virus.
GOD, after I left the Impact LGAT, I was asked to find a therapist by my family (they begged me really). In the first session, no sooner had she asked me to close my eyes and meditate, I started to hyper-ventilate. She learned pretty quickly what the extent of the damage was. I'm fortunate she is brilliant, I've done about a 165 (still working on the 180) turnaround since seeing her. I feel ya

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: June 06, 2007 03:40PM

Hi all who has read this far in this thread. I know that some people have been concerned with my mental health.

This is it right know;
- have found an excellent KB-therapist that is older than me. I had one who was much younger than me and that didn't really click. The former used KBT with an emphasis on the B - Behaviour - and that was a little bit too much like Landmark "if you wan't to change something in your life just look to the POSSIBILITY you are and MAKE A COMMITTMENT to that and be UNSTOPPABLE. Well - that created a lot of stress and unhappiness when reality struck back with a vengance. LM's response to that was of course to do more courses to find out WHAT IS STOPPING YOU. What did that result in? Temporay relief but more time spent within LM's clutches leading to more brainwashing and then back to;

guess what? Yes of course!
"just look to the POSSIBILITY you are and MAKE A COMMITTMENT to that and be UNSTOPPABLE."

Caught in a vicious circle eh?

nettie

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: June 07, 2007 05:43AM

exImpact
GOD, after I left the Impact LGAT, I was asked to find a therapist by my family (they begged me really). In the first session, no sooner had she asked me to close my eyes and meditate, I started to hyper-ventilate. She learned pretty quickly what the extent of the damage was. I'm fortunate she is brilliant, I've done about a 165 (still working on the 180) turnaround since seeing her. I feel ya

That's great that you found a therapist who is actually [i:c3f47f53db]helpful[/i:c3f47f53db]. I'm about to quit looking for one such as yours, who's actually intelligent. The two I've dealt with (one of whom was in est!) seem clueless about psychological manipulation and the things I talk about. Oh yes, they nod their heads and seem to understand, but in the end, I don't feel I got anywhere. On the contrary, when they dispense "advice" found in The Secret I want to run screaming out of the room.

Date: June 07, 2007 05:51AM

nettie
I read in Maurice's thread Landmark Forum revisited (inspired by me :-) ) that one of the things that makes it hard for people to get out of Landmark's clutches is that you are taught during the Forum to "hate" your old self. That is very much to the point. How do you relate to your old self when you know it is full of sh-t? It becomes a big dilemma even if you know what you learned during the forum is bull - they have indoctrinated you to believe that your old self is nothing but a machine running its winning formula/racket.

So when leaving Landmark you have an identity that is split in two; your pre self and your landmark self. You're going to have to sort through this dilemma to get back your sense of an integrated self.

Yes you are. When I started realizing that the stuff I'd been "studying" for six years was an insane LIE I felt panicked. I thought that if I discarded my new self I was doomed to serious breakdown and failure. I wondered how I was going to manage if I no longer had the lgat & the tools to guide and assist me. Yet, I could no longer use them. I felt up the creek without a paddle, very lost and helpless. I'd say I'm still lost but less confused and there's at least one thing I DO know: I HATE LGATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: June 07, 2007 12:36PM

skeptic
That's great that you found a therapist who is actually [i:032986869e]helpful[/i:032986869e]. I'm about to quit looking for one such as yours, who's actually intelligent. The two I've dealt with (one of whom was in est!) seem clueless about psychological manipulation and the things I talk about. Oh yes, they nod their heads and seem to understand, but in the end, I don't feel I got anywhere. On the contrary, when they dispense "advice" found in The Secret I want to run screaming out of the room.
LOL, so would I. I have actually begun my studies into getting a doctorate as a mental health professional. I want to shake the industry up, as it were, and focus on melding logic and philosophical theory with behavioral science. The book "The Idea of a Social Science and its Relation to Philosophy" by Peter Winch has changed the way I look at all of it. Hell, therapists (particularly the ones at the masters degree level) could use a brush up on logic and philosophy.The combination of the small influence of logic in the educaion of the majority of therapists creates the same vaccuum of logic in their practice, and this is is why I think patients who really want to, don't get better. If they [i:032986869e]all[/i:032986869e] did it, they could pass it on to their patients to some degree and the industry would change for the better, and more people would get better. This summary is of course a gross simplification of the problem, but it is my strong opinion.

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: June 07, 2007 11:06PM

Human life and human reality is infinitely complex. The human mind seeks ways of reducing this complexity to managable simplicity.

The "good faith" schools of thought are honest about their own limitations, which is to say reducing complexity also entails "throwing out some of the baby with the bathwater"...

The "bad faith" schools of thought insist (and insist that YOU agree if you want to associate with them) that there is a formula to reducing complexity with no loss.

In other words, there is a significant contrast between thinking "here is a lens for looking at the complexity of life which must distort in order to magnify" and believing "the essence of life can be bottled and sold"...

Whenever I meet a "tunnel vision salvation" practitioner, in the shape of a therapist, NLPite, Scientologist, Flat Earther... there is always this shift from [b:e642fc1703]A Perspective [/b:e642fc1703]to [b:e642fc1703]The Truth[/b:e642fc1703].

Being in the position of [b:e642fc1703]A Perspective [/b:e642fc1703]calls for that rare human attribute, humility, which puts one on democratic terms with the rest of humanity, while being in possession of [b:e642fc1703]The Truth [/b:e642fc1703]is far more gratifying to the ego, not to mention relieving the possesor of [b:e642fc1703]The Truth [/b:e642fc1703]of the painful labors of active, critical, doubt filled, ambiguous thought, an exotic activity despised by a percentage of the population.

Posted by: skepticabout ()
Date: June 07, 2007 11:42PM

Hello all.
Nettie; truly apprecite you sharing your experience in LE.

I am a little out of sorts lately..My wife has taken LE on and is truly deeply involved.
she will be commencing her ILP within the next couple of weeks.
Our relationship is in trouble and has been for the last 6 months when she surprised me by saying that I have caused her a lot of distress during our marriage and that she has not loved me for the last 3 years. (we have 2 kids 9 and 8) and for them I am committed to live a crappy life if need be.
I am concerned over the fact that I do believe she has changed and is not the person I know,.her actions seem different and inauthentic (kinda fake). She uses all of the LE jargon all of the time.
I have taken the forum and did not proceed further (no current intentions to do so).
my inquiry is whether or not anyone has any good advise on if I should meddle into her direction. or is there a good way to ask her to review her direction without "WRONGING" her.
or is it just better for me to stay out of the way and let her figure it out.

Date: June 09, 2007 12:38AM

MartinH
I just want to give another example of the deeply rooted teachings of Landmark ... one of my Landmark friends told me yesterday that a forum leader tought them "Your own barriers keep you from getting what you want in your life" ...
Mind-blowing isn't it? ... :shock: :lol: what a deeeeeeeeeep insight

LOLOLOL Martin!!!!

Date: June 09, 2007 12:45AM

exImpact
skeptic
That's great that you found a therapist who is actually [i:686c4d0d69]helpful[/i:686c4d0d69]. I'm about to quit looking for one such as yours, who's actually intelligent. The two I've dealt with (one of whom was in est!) seem clueless about psychological manipulation and the things I talk about. Oh yes, they nod their heads and seem to understand, but in the end, I don't feel I got anywhere. On the contrary, when they dispense "advice" found in The Secret I want to run screaming out of the room.
LOL, so would I. I have actually begun my studies into getting a doctorate as a mental health professional. I want to shake the industry up, as it were, and focus on melding logic and philosophical theory with behavioral science. The book "The Idea of a Social Science and its Relation to Philosophy" by Peter Winch has changed the way I look at all of it. Hell, therapists (particularly the ones at the masters degree level) could use a brush up on logic and philosophy.The combination of the small influence of logic in the educaion of the majority of therapists creates the same vaccuum of logic in their practice, and this is is why I think patients who really want to, don't get better. If they [i:686c4d0d69]all[/i:686c4d0d69] did it, they could pass it on to their patients to some degree and the industry would change for the better, and more people would get better. This summary is of course a gross simplification of the problem, but it is my strong opinion.

Good for you, exImpact! Shake it up!

Posted by: elena ()
Date: June 09, 2007 03:27AM

skeptic
MartinH
I just want to give another example of the deeply rooted teachings of Landmark ... one of my Landmark friends told me yesterday that a forum leader tought them "Your own barriers keep you from getting what you want in your life" ...
Mind-blowing isn't it? ... :shock: :lol: what a deeeeeeeeeep insight

LOLOLOL Martin!!!!

Too bad this long-gone TV show didn't make it. The website (found it in the Wayback Machine) was funnier than the program. Be sure to "click the head" at the bottom left of the page:

[web.archive.org]

Elle

Current Page: 11 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.