Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Radiant Life Church in Sacramento
Posted by: whatajoke ()
Date: October 21, 2008 04:16AM

Elders:

A good man in a bad system will not misuse his authority. A good system can deal with a bad man and get rid of him. A bad man in a bad system is an untouchable pope simply because he is protected by the system. He may be the worst of tyrants, but nothing can be done by anyone. A sincere sheep has only one option in such a case.

To those left at Radiant Life:

The option is to leave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 21, 2008 06:31AM

this sure sounds familiar. the issue is not the same but you could substitute spiritual parenting/covering and how it is being carried out in RLC among alot of other issues.

To those attending Radiant Life: Do you really believe that your elders are looking out for you? that they are guarding you?

Where Are the Elders Who Guard the Flock?

By Bob DeWaay

This past weekend I received a call not unlike many dozens of previous communications from Christians concerned about unbiblical practices being introduced into their local churches. This particular one expressed a committed Christian’s concern that their large evangelical church was introducing mysticism and eastern practices under the guise of youth ministry. This church had even created a shrine of sorts in the church basement for young people to practice this mysticism.

The caller had researched this subject for several months, documented her church’s new practices and described why the practices were dangerous and unbiblical. Confident that her findings would help correct the church’s direction, she brought her research to the church leadership, only to be mollified and warned about having a bad attitude. In response she asked the leaders to compare these practices to Scripture, but to no avail. The story is all too common; why does it continue to happen?

Most evangelical churches have elders; these elders are responsible for the Lord’s flock (we were part of the flock) . My interviews with people who have witnessed their churches being infiltrated by unbiblical teachings and practices have opened my eyes to a serious problem in our evangelical movement: elders who do not think that what is being taught and practiced in their church is important enough to judge biblically. This is serious. In many cases, these elders consider their primary job to be—support the senior pastor and his reputation at all costs. (sound familiar?) Their secondary job—watch over the financial well being of the church as a corporation. Their tertiary job—make sure no one rocks the boat. (Matt Wanner/Brandon) Thus, in these elders’ interpretation of their job description, the problem in the church becomes those concerned members who care about the integrity of the gospel message.

Most evangelical churches take seriously most of the qualifications of elders as listed in passages like 1Timothy 3. This means that they look for good family men who are faithful to their wives (have all met this criteria?), have a good reputation, and are not guilty of scandalous behavior. And they do well to follow these guidelines. But these qualifications are not the end of the story. As a matter of fact, many unconverted people meet most of these guidelines. But a more important matter has been pushed aside: the requirement that elders guard the Lord’s flock from the wolves.

Let us consider Acts 20 where Paul gathered the elders in Ephesus and gave them instructions. Here is what Paul said:

Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. (Acts 20:28-30)

Paul is telling us that elders MUST guard the flock against wolves who bring false teaching. In this most important role, many are failing.

For example, someone recently told me of his frustrations with the elders of his church. The church, traditionally very conservative and solid biblically, began promoting Theophostic ministry—a ministry that involves teachings and processes that are not Biblical. So he appealed to the elders, giving them evidence of serious error in this movement’s teachings and of the harmful consequences of allowing it. Rather than searching the Scripture and comparing the teachings of Theophostics with the Bible and making a decision, they referred the member to the counseling pastor who was promoting the ministry. The elders had no desire to concern themselves with this matter. If the reports I have received from dozens of people are true, this is too common.

Many elders are successful businessmen, but being a successful businessman neither qualifies nor disqualifies a man from being an elder. Churches seem to lean toward selecting such people because churches want to be successful businesses. But did Paul tell Titus to select businessmen-elders when he said: “holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict” (Titus 1:9)? No. If a man has no willingness to study and learn sound doctrine, is content to have only a superficial knowledge of the Bible, and is unwilling to correct false doctrine—that person is NOT QUALIFIED to be an elder. So a remedy for many of our church ills would be for our churches to select biblically qualified elders who are truly ‘apt to teach’ (1Timothy 3:2; 2Timothy 2:24 KJV). If we required this of all elders, we would not have all the false doctrine coming into the church that we see today. We would have elders with backbone who would even stand against the senior pastor if necessary should that pastor depart from the truth (I don't think we are seeing this). A pastor who loves the truth and desires integrity in the church would earnestly desire to have elders like that around him, not merely people who are committed to whatever program he wants to promote.

Paul’s warning to the elders in Ephesus came true. Studying 1 and 2 Timothy, we find that false teachers did arise “from their own midst.” So Paul instructed Timothy about how to deal with the situation. He wrote: “As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus, in order that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines” (1Timothy 1:3).

The Greek word translated “doctrine” or “teaching” is found 15 times in Timothy and Titus out of 21 total references in the New Testament. The so-called “pastoral epistles” emphasize the importance of doctrine. Paul said that elders who “work hard in word and doctrine” should be given special honor. Elders must be “apt to teach.” Those who go astray in doctrine are to be corrected and if they refuse to repent they are to be rejected (Titus 3:10).

Combining what we know about elders from Acts 20, 1 and 2 Timothy, and Titus, it is clear that guarding the flock from false doctrine and teaching true doctrine is the elders’ most important role. Churches endanger the flock when they choose elders based on their business acumen, that they seem to be moral men and “nice guys,” or are likely to support the senior pastor at any cost while ignoring the importance of doctrine. Pastors who do not teach sound doctrine from the pulpit exacerbate the problem by making it unlikely that a pool of men qualified to teach the truth and correct error will ever arise in that church.

The answer is simple: we need to teach sound doctrine from the pulpit and as God raises up men trained in sound doctrine who love the truth and are willing to defend the truth against the wolves (and who meet the other qualifications) should be appointed elders. Paul’s words emphatically summarize this:

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires; (2Timothy 3:16 – 4:3)

Pray that God will raise up people Radiant Life who will do what Paul instructs and that Radiant Life would have godly elders who will guard the well being of the Lord’s flock.

Posted by: Escapee07 ()
Date: October 21, 2008 08:12AM

Okay, here is what I do not understand: Why is the leadership covering their butts? What is wrong with saying, look these are the things I taught that are wrong. Why don't they stop pointing fingers and really just try and help clean up the all the crap they have been throwing around!

I have so much admiration for people like Ryan and Matt who have come on this forum and said, Yes, I was involved in the mis-direction of people and acted in manner that was not pleasing to God. Once they realized it, they set out to correct it. Look at the results: people are healing, people are coming out of the woodwork to express how they have been feeling. There is healing and reconcillitation to the Lord. Darkness is being brought to light!!!!

Man, the whole REPENTANCE thing is really refreshing. I can't stand it when people give blanket apologies and then continuing the same course they were on. It is like living by the logic of " if I sin now, it will be okay because God will forgive me later." Is it not our goal to say "no" to sin, and if we fall into sin, then repent and move on. We are not to continue acting the same way after we repent.

This forum has brought about healing. People are once again drawing closer to God. Do you know how refreshing it is to meet Christians from other congregations? It is so cool, the body of Christ at work. There is no bias, or feeling of superiority. We are all children of God. Different backgrounds, different congregations, but the people of God.

So, I end this message with this question: Can you see in the pages of this forum who the divise ones are?
There are no connections to any other Churches in the area, except the ones overseen by Tony.
Families have been ripped apart by the teachings
Marriages have been strained because teachings.
Friendships lost, due to commitments to the church.
People have quit great jobs, in which they can communicate with other believers or non-believers, to go to SOMA or work at the Church.
The division of the body of Christ happened when it was preached and practiced from the pulpit at RLC.

Posted by: Ring barer ()
Date: October 21, 2008 08:42AM

How was your meeting at your house last night Tony?

By the way, though you had the opportunity to deflect last night my offer stands… why don’t we meet publicly in your sanctuary and discuss some of the matters at hand. I am willing to meet with you in front of the pastors of this city, the elders of your church, and your congregation along with anyone else in the community who would like to attend.

You said that the people on the outside of your church have never brought our grievances to you or the elders…. That there is a biblical way of addressing these things… you lied in that statement!!! I did bring my grievances to you and to the elders (whom you told me were unfit and spiritually lacking) just as the bible states… I even came with Ryan at one point which means we had the witness of two… yet you insist on telling your congregation that we have not brought this before the church properly….

Why do you think you are in the position of covering your tracks in the first place Mr. Cunningham… because people did bring this to your elders and to you…

Again… let us meet… in fact why don’t we all meet…

Posted by: Escapee07 ()
Date: October 21, 2008 09:12AM

Ring barer
...I am willing to meet with you in front of the pastors of this city, the elders of your church, and your congregation along with anyone else in the community who would like to attend....

Again… let us meet… in fact why don’t we all meet…

All in favor say I.
I am for an open air forum with other Pastors and Christian leaders in the Sacramento area as well as the leadership at RLC, with the congregation present. It is not like the Christian community in Sacramento, outside of RLC is not aware of the havoc that RLC is causing. Maybe it is time to get everyone together and have a chat.

Date: October 21, 2008 09:41AM

I thought this was worth repeating given what Matt posted and what is going on. I hope you are reading this Tony. I know you think you know it all and are the god of Radiant Life Church but many people who have had issues have confronted the elders and leadership. I myself have expressed issues to leaders with no avail. There have been many people who have followed the biblical model. In your case however public rebuke is biblical.

There’s a common view among Christians that it’s wrong to publicly criticize the teachings of other professing Christians.

People who hold this view cite Matthew 18:15-17. They believe this Bible passage teaches that anyone who has concerns about someone else’s teachings should go to that person privately.

They sincerely believe this is what the passage teaches.

But they don’t realize that this passage is being used out of context. It doesn’t refer to addressing false teaching. It refers to addressing someone’s private sin. This can be seen in the larger context, which includes a discussion, immediately after this passage, of forgiving those who sin against us. Also, this passages deals, specifically, with church discipline — the manner of dealing with those who sin in a local church.

The Biblical Principle for Addressing Sin

Here’s what the Bible teaches about addressing sin in the church:

• A private rebuke is given for private sin. Matthew 18:15-17

• A public rebuke is given for public sin. (See the apostle Paul’s public rebuke of the apostle Peter’s false teaching in Galatians 2:11-14. Also, see the apostle Paul’s public rebuke of a man who was flagrantly sleeping with his stepmother with his church’s knowledge in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13. Paul didn’t confront this man privately. In fact, he had never even met this man, as shown in 1 Corinthians 5:1, when he refers to a report he heard about the man’s sin. Yet, Paul confronted this public sin publicly because the sin effected the whole Corinthian church.)

Teachers who bring false doctrines into the church must be confronted publicly because their teachings are public. They write books, speak at conferences and appear on television programs promoting their teachings to thousands of people. Because they have public influence, they must be held to public scrutiny. If people go to them privately, then — in the meantime — thousands of people can be misled by their harmful teachings.

Teachers should expect — and even welcome — criticism of their teachings. The Bible warns them in James 3:1 that they are held to high standards because of their influence and will face stricter judgment from God than other Christians. They should be open to correction.

But, many times the false teachers, themselves, are the ones who teach their followers the misapplication of Matthew 18:15-17. They use this as an effective technique to silence criticism.

What the Bible Teaches About Dealing With False Teaching in the Church

Here are some of the things the Bible teaches, specifically, about dealing with false teaching.

• Name Names: In 2 Timothy, the apostle Paul identifies false teachers in the church, by name, four times. 2 Tim. 1:15, 2:17, 3:8, 4:14

• Warn the church publicly what the false teachers are teaching. 2 Timothy 2:16-18

• Silence the false teachers. (This means that church leaders shouldn’t allow people to teach false teaching in their churches.) Titus 1:10-11

• Refute the false teachers. Titus 1:9

• Do not give false teachers a platform or otherwise support them in their ministries. 2 John 1:10-11

Degrees of Error

I should point out that not all doctrinal error is of equal kind. There are many issues that Christians can genuinely disagree on.

But there are also false teachings that are so serious they must be exposed and refuted . Some of the teachings of the apostolic-prophetic movement are of this second kind. These include the teachings that: (1) modern “apostles” and “prophets” give the church new doctrines that are not found in the Bible, (2) all Christians must submit to modern “apostles” and “prophets,” (3) modern “apostles” and “prophets’” enemies include Christians who reject their authority; (4) that modern “apostles” and “prophets” will lead physical warfare against their enemies, making the entire earth submit to them, (5) under the leadership of modern “apostles” and “prophets,” Christians will become sinless and superhuman, eventually attaining deity (the “manifest sons of God” doctrine).

Many of the leaders in the apostolic-prophetic movement teach these things. Of course, many of their followers don’t realize that yet.

Posted by: barely escaped ()
Date: October 21, 2008 12:13PM

this is a message to all who post

i have a question. actually i have many. but for today only a couple. where do you currently go to church? do you like it and what specifically made you choose that church? do you serve at any capacity there? with regards to friends/family are things better and how? i am currently weighing my options and am looking for more than one response so i can try to make the most knowledgable decision. please help. thanks ahead of time for your input and time.

Posted by: Deja Vu ()
Date: October 21, 2008 12:41PM

Hello everyone! I have been away for a time but now I need to speak again, but only for a moment.

I am certain of only a few things. 1) God is real and He is Love. 2) God loves his people 3) God CANNOT BE MOCKED 4) God is SOVERIEGN and sees all things. 5) God IS A GOD OF JUSTICE! What does all of this mean in light of these current affairs? I am not so sure yet. All I know is that the things that have gone on for so long at RLC and that are under Tony Cunninghams ministry have been weighed and have been found wanted. Tony, you cannot run. You cannot hide. You can dodge truth and the accusations of man, but you cannot dodge God.

Sundays meeting (Circus), is a "mockery" of God period!!! To sneer and laugh at peoples concerns about others who have left and at the accusations brought to them, to me, is from the pit of hell. I am grieved and disheartened to know that many of the men and woman who follow Tony and some of the Leaders and Elders sat and laughed at some individuals who had genuine concerns for those hurt and for some other "matters" that were presented. How can that be? Tony Cunningham, how is it that you have become what you have become? Darkness covers you and those who connect themselves to you are stumbling because they cannot see what and where they are going?

I agree with Matt M. Tony and Greg, you both have blatantly lied to so many about the fact that "know one" has followed the biblical model of bringing accusations to the elders and that this is why you have discounted all of us.

That is a HUGE LIE!!! PEOPLE WHO ARE READING THIS: Others have gone to the elders. I know them by name. In private, a few of the elders and TONY I know for sure have passed the blame on to them and denied all of their claims. Even telling them, " you just don't understand and are not mature enough". WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Also... Matt Michalak and I went to Matt Wanner and Jesse Mancias back in July before all of this happened. IT WAS A 3 HOUR MEETING at PEETS COFFEE in Elk Grove. We gave them a folder of a stack of testimonies that people gave us. We told them EVERYTHING! They even thanked us for being bold enough and loving enough to do it. We then became a support to them, checking on them to see how they were doing. Then, in September, Matt and I confronted Tony after he "dodged" my call that I made to him. See, what you all don't know is that Tony, after 9 months of dropping me like a rock, called me after his big meeting with Brandon. He left a message on my cell phone at 10 pm and said he would like to meet about all of this. I called the next day and left a message on his phone stating that I would meet but only with a witness there. WHY? Because Tony manipulates and lies. That is why all of his meetings with people are in PRIVATE. That way, there are no witnesses. When its brought up later, there is no proof. Well, guess what? Tony NEVER CALLED ME BACK. I will say this... "Tony Cunningham, you have acted like a coward so far." You have lied enough. People need to know that I have not done ANYTHING IN SECRET! I am exposed. Yet, many, if not most of your ways have been practiced in SECRET.

I AM IN AGREEMENT TO A PUBLIC FORUM!

Q. Who else will be bold enough to speak on this forum and agree to this? Just respond and say yes if you are willing. It is time to put all of this to an end. You all and I want to move on. I am sure of it. Stay upright! Keep the faith. Love God. Restore Gods people!

-Ryan-

Posted by: FantasticVoyage ()
Date: October 21, 2008 01:03PM

I will be there! Heck, I'll even get it on video so there is no question about what is said. Or would that be too "damaging?" Oh wait! We have nothing to hide! Then I can put the footage together to develop a brand, new soap opera called, "The Rape of Our Lives."

Sorry for the cynicism (not really) but this is getting ridiculous! Leadership, or should I say, "Leader-sank," give it up! Repent and move on before it gets really ugly. I just hope you have a flotation device...

XOX
Andrea

Posted by: BraveHeart ()
Date: October 21, 2008 01:35PM

I too would like very much to have a face to face with Mr. Tony Cunningham, Especially with several of his sycophant elders to answer to the fact that I tried to bring my grievances through (the proper channels) i.e. Greg Huth (an Elder). I have tried on several occasions to present my grievances and concerns I had with you Tony. Only to have You, Mr. Tony Cunningham Slander me in front of your sycophant staff and Elders,because I questioned your authority and I compared your leadership tactics as being the same as Captain Bligh of the HMS Bounty before the Mutiny. YES I questioned your theology of Spiritual Parenting and your Spiritual Authority! Even when you came over to my house with the intent to divide my wife and I by washing her feet then mine blaming others for your very teachings that you still adhere to. You are a pompous arrogant self-righteous man and I say Bring it on!!!!

Tony you’re coward of a man hiding behind your sycophant elders of your cult that you have assembled. You have deceived poor people into thinking that your are some kind of “Man of God” or “Apostle” or “Prophet.” You have assembled your own concubine of women who are emotionally & spiritually involved with you. And your sycophant elders turn a blind eye!

Oh my!
Tony, you have now stepped into the same arena that Brigham Young and Joseph Smith walked into. The same path that Charles Taze Russell and Mary Baker Eddy walked down. And I can not believe that you are so devoid of any remorse to the families that you have spiritually hurt! you still have the nerve to stand up in front of the people who are still trusting you for the truth and yet you deceive them with YOUR teachings like Spiritual Covering and Discipleship and Spiritual Authority!!!!!

Last time I saw you I was looking into your eyes I felt I was seeing the evil and the demons that you have embraced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.