Current Page: 90 of 351
Re: Turning Point Church World Outreach Center-Tell Your Story
Posted by: Wounded Warrior ()
Date: April 26, 2009 08:40AM

Great posts Tell the Truth and Brokenhearted... Thank you so much for sharing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LearningPoint ()
Date: April 26, 2009 09:32AM

Tellthetruth,

Hey, I totally understood where you were coming from with the God speaking to M&C. And I completely agree with you. It always appeared to me that they thought they had "cornered the market" on hearing from God. (Brokenhearted's testimony about how they handled her revelation from God pretty much proves this sense so many of us have.) I also understood that you didn't mean that God doesn't speak that way; only that their self-centered take on it has rendered their ability to truly hear from God, as they claim to, questionable at best and impossible at worst. (I lean toward the impossible side of the spectrum since God opposes the proud.)

And your second post was SO WELL STATED and brought out new items for discussion that I hope we'll pursue: The dangers of the "pentecostal perspective" and how this perspective has evolved (or devolved) at Turning Point. I feel like at first many of the dangers were acknowledged and attempts were made to keep them in check. Now, I think, no attempts are made because the dangers have been forgotten and/or ignored. Perhaps it is because leadership thinks they're so far above or beyond being in danger. I don't know.

Let's pick up on something you mentioned in your post: DANGERS OF THE PENTECOSTAL PERSPECTIVE IN WORSHIP

What has been yours and others' experiences with WORSHIP at Turning Point? I have to agree with you, TelltheTruth, PERFORMANCE seems to be the name of the game.

When I started attending I was grateful for the freedom in worship; I'm not terribly demonstrative in worship myself--I find that flailing or dancing distract my heart and mind, while swaying a bit or raising my hand(s) when I am longing to exalt God are the extent of my movement. But I found that when I first pursued a discipler, at our first or second meeting she said to me, "I want you to grow in worship." And I learned by that that she meant that she did not think I was much of a worshiper because I didn't "let loose" and spin and stuff. (I really don't have very good balance, so this was a bad idea on just a practical level, snicker.) But anyway, I remember thinking to myself, Wow, she doesn't even really know what goes on inside of me when I worship. She didn't ask me about it either; she just presumed. Now, mixed in with that pondering was some indignation that rose up, which is my flesh getting in the way. I wasn't indignant because I think I'm a great worshiper--I really don't evaluate my worship...I just do it--but I was indignant because this woman didn't even know me and was presuming something about me she had no clue about. I put down that misgiving and tried to "submit" to her instruction, without much success. It just doesn't work to be insincere in worship; you can feel that it's "all kind of wrong" and so I just pretty much avoided the subject with her. Later she stopped having individual meetings with me and went to group get togethers exclusively, so I was off the hook, but I knew her perspective about my "spiritual maturity" in worship. It was just something I accepted and had to leave with God. He is the one I'm worshiping, so it didn't really matter what anyone else thought. But I did go through a couple of bouts of trying to "get on board" where I tried to break through to discover what I was missing. Little did I know during those times that God in His mercy was preventing me from "breaking through" into falsehood.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, BECAUSE YOU WERE SO RIGHT, TELL THE TRUTH. AT TURNING POINT IT'S ABOUT PERFORMANCE.

Anyone else care to share what they've seen, heard, or experienced in this aspect of the "pentecostal perspective" or in some other aspect of it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 09:35AM by LearningPoint.

Posted by: Miki ()
Date: April 26, 2009 10:44AM

Hi everyone,

I think yes, TPC is a bit pentecostal. however, i've been to realllllly extreme pentecostal churches. love the conferences there but it gets distracting when people are over doing it.

I'd like to add..... I love worship dancing. I will dance in my head before going to sleep ~ as if my Father is before me. I love skating and worship dancing. I just don't want people to "lump" all worship dancers as performers.

Posted by: tpcwocattender ()
Date: April 26, 2009 12:35PM

I had a very interesting conversation with someone who had thought that because a person didn't dance they were not giving God everything. I asked the person to evaluate this situation. A man who has been timid his entire life comes to tpc. this person is the picture definition of shy and quiet. Through time they start to express themselves more and more. One day,though scared to death of what others think, he boldly raises one hand half way. We don't see what is going on in his heart but God can. He sees just how expressive this is for this man. What do you see? How do you judge? The lesson, I told him, is to not dare judge the meaning of ones sacrifice of worship by what you see.

Posted by: tpcwocattender ()
Date: April 26, 2009 01:05PM

tell the truth
There have been moments when I have heard his whisper, but these have been great moments in my life. Mostly, God speaks to me through what happens in my life i.e. loved one's being saved, and other tangible experiences.

As you will see above, it is not that I do not believe God doesn't speak to us as stated in my quote above from an earlier post. Many of you have seized upon my viewpoint on God speaking which has taken the focus off of TPC. My point was that I believe TPC practices witchcraft and sorcery. That these things God CAN do, are not generated from God, but from man. These things are manufactured for man and from man. I watched the TPC video on their Jubilee in that country they go to every year and have their little church at. I watched a woman who was supposed to have been healed walking without her crutches. She was an elderly woman who really SHOULD have continued using her crutches. She was taking unnecessary risks with her health because she had been "healed." Do I believe in healing, YES, so you don't have to try and convince me that God heals. The purpose of this forum is to expose TPC and talk about what atrocities occur there through false teaching and religious abuse. Sometimes I feel like the TPC way of existing leaks out into past TPC attenders posts. Only some posts get commented on i.e. the popular posts and other posts get attacked. My prior post was to talk about how the leaders at TPC think they are the only ones God talks to. It wasn't to discuss or argue for one position or another on how God speaks to us. While we went to TPC, God spoke to me for sure. But his message to me was sent on how I experienced TPC in my heart and mind. I would leave services feeling less than and feeling like "why can't they see me for who I am" I began to resent my husband because he would never be one of the holy men at TPC. He is a joker and likes to talk about himself. That is absolutely not to be tolerated at TPC. One sunday we visited our old church and the love and relief I felt at that visit was the confirmation we needed to leave TPC. The struggle and conflict and feeling of desperation were gone. I went home. Of course, later we left our old church and have found a new one. But anyways, I was only trying to point out that God speaks in ways other than audibility. We don't just have brains and ears, but we have feelings and hopes and dreams and God uses all of these things to communicate with us and have a relationship. Satan can also speak to us, and he is the great deceiver. Satan so vividly works through music in our culture and now in our churches. It has become about performance and how good the musicians look. There is nothing wrong with good music, but it is used to abuse at TPC. If you don't look a certain way and rush up to the front and worship, you aren't doing it properly. I assert that those who rush up to the front are selfish and self-serving. They want to be seen. There is no room up front for new believers to come forward because all the same people rush up every week so Cyndi and Mike can see them. I went up front once, and God struck my heart hard. I was doing the same thing. I never went back up. Don't get me wrong, I love to worship and worship with my entire being. The danger in the pentacostal perspective is the ability to separate out self-gain and self-seeking and make sure your heart is pure as you approach God. The other danger in the pentacostal perspective is that it attracts people who have mental illness and the proclivity to be unbalanced. It isn't that this perspective is bad, no, not at all. I am just saying that we, as humans, must always check our motives. Are we worshipping or glorifying God because of who he is and what he has done, or are we glorifying and worshipping God because deep in the back of our minds, we think we look good doing it, or sound better doing it or have the appearance of holiness and "what a wonderful heart for God" he or she has. I was talking to God the other day and asked him to purify my heart and my mind as much as can be accomplished as a mere human. Because even though I am cleansed and purified one moment, I can be participating in road rage in the next. So, God, thanks for sending Jesus so you can see me through him. Clean and pure.[/quote

This is going to sound harsh but I won't just sit back and let someone make a statement about me without a word said in response. TTT.- I commented on the statement you made based on what I thought you were implying about how God speaks. It is clear I am not the only one who got the impression I did. So, why make a statement that I only comment and attack on the popular posts? That seems a little unfair. I just started posting so it seams logical that I would comment on current posts not older ones.

I would ask that you reconsider your view on those that come forward during worship. I know several who come forward each week and it has nothing to do with who sees them. It has everything to do with them using that simple act to show God they want to draw near. I have witnessed God move mightily in people who come forward. It can be a powerful thing. It also needs to be stated that when Mike and Cyndi were gone last year and even when they are out of town for a service the people still come forward.

Also, the lady on the video comment is a little out of place. I wasn't there and either were you. I know this. The glory for that feeling was directed straight to God not tpc. I thought it was great! If someone is healed by God and the praise goes to God there is nowhere for Satan to hide in that. He would not orchestrate that event for the simple reason is that God and His power are made known.

I made a post a day ago that has not made it. I would like to state that my presence here has no hidden agenda. I am concerned and working through issues at tpc. I don't know where God will take me or if He will use me at tpc. I have no ill conceived plans to redeem tpc here either. I attend there still and until stated otherwise will do what I feel God has gifted me to do at tpc.

Posted by: BraveHeart ()
Date: April 26, 2009 01:09PM

BraveHeart
Regarding all the prosperity teaching......I would like to share a prospective that has not been addressed and trust me I don't have the life experiences that would come close to what this man has. His name is Justin Peters www.justinpeters.org/ please watch the demo video. I look forward to hearing your comments.

sorry the link did not link up from my cell phone

Justin Peters

[www.justinpeters.org]

please watch the demo video. I look forward to hearing your comments.

yes, Kim and Jeff barns Mike and Cindi Villamor...we would like to hear your thoughts too.

BraveHeart

Posted by: buddy ()
Date: April 26, 2009 02:26PM

Excellent video BraveHeart everybody needs to watch it, a real good education on the Word of Faith,name it claim it,positive confession, prosperity movement that is taking over Pastor Mike and TPWOC ! Maybe Pastor Mike should haved booked Justin Peters instead of Dr. Increase Bob Harrison and Caset Treat the helecopter guy! Of course Pastor Mike would not have received his free trip to Hawaii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 02:30PM by buddy.

Posted by: Brokenhearted ()
Date: April 26, 2009 11:28PM

TP attender, I want to ask you an honest question. You don't have to answer me, but I hopr that you will carefully consider it.

Do you think that you (in your position) can evoke change at TP?
How do you suppose that it might happen?

I don't know if you've had opportunity to read through the TP threads here, but if you have, you may have noticed a trend. Pastor Mike (and it seems the remaining elders) do not heed the words of the Lord if they are spoken through *mere man*. Unless you are in a position to have Mike's ear, unless Mike considers you to be a peer (which by the way, Mike doesn't consider anyone a peer.....he believes that he has authority over his dear friend Pastor Keith Kippen), unless you have something to say that benefits Mike....he will not listen. If you disagree with Mike, he will tell you that you are free to leave.

At this point in time, I believe the only thing that will *stop* Mike is if the elders fire him....but wait, they can fire him as senior pastor, but in his new denomination and role of apostle, he will still have authority over TP....did you know that? I wonder if TP now sends a tithe to the Mike, er, I mean the new denomination?

What about the fact that all of the elders, but one, is either on staff, or has a spouse on staff? In some cases, both are on staff....do you think that thesse men and women can overcome the conflict of interest (the welfare of the church and it's body versus their own livelyhood)?

I knew, as a member of the body at TP that I did not have a voice. The leaders worship Pastor Mike, and his word is akin to God's. Pastor Mike is so full of himself that he couldn't care less about any of us, and he certainly wasn't going to listen to me....I'm not holy enough, I don't worship right, I didn't attend enough meetings, I wasn't a yes man! Mike doesn't care when people leave, b/c he doesn't want them around anyway, unless they are going to worship him. My leaving likely didn't phase Mike....but when I left, and 100 others left around the same time, Mike has had to take notice......to bad he doesn't seem to care wht the *real* problems are and he's just addressing PR stuff.

I hope, and pray, for the sake of the people at TP, and for the community at large, that you and those who are trying to evoke change from the inside are successful. Honestly though, I can't imagine how on earth that's going to happen!

Date: April 27, 2009 01:26AM

At least speaking for myself, I'm in no way saying that you can't dance when you worship. I dance when I worship sometimes. It's hard for me to explain (and maybe someone else can do a better job?) but at TP, it very much seems and feels like people are performing (again, not all but many) rather than worshiping. It's like the music itself rather than God's presence is enough to make some people dance. It sounds harsh, but I have a very good friend who was on the worship team and only stayed on it for a couple months because she said it was like a competition for most of them. She told me some of the things that were said to her and I agreed about the self righteous attitudes. I don't remember the comments, but they were inappropriate for members of a worship team who is SUPPOSED to be there for GOD! I'm sorry if you took offense to our postings, TPC attender, but you put yourself in that category. None of us said everyone, we were speaking in general... and yes, 3we should be focusing on our own worship rather than on people around us, but after a while it gets awful distracting when you are in your seat 1/2 way back in the room and all of a sudden there's nobody around you because everyone went to the altar. Now all of a sudden you feel like everyone behind you is watching you because they now have a great view since you're by yourself. That's a hard feeling to go past if you're at all shy like I am.

Posted by: LearningPoint ()
Date: April 27, 2009 03:08AM

Miki
Hi everyone,

I think yes, TPC is a bit pentecostal. however, i've been to realllllly extreme pentecostal churches. love the conferences there but it gets distracting when people are over doing it.

I'd like to add..... I love worship dancing. I will dance in my head before going to sleep ~ as if my Father is before me. I love skating and worship dancing. I just don't want people to "lump" all worship dancers as performers.

Please understand that I was not saying that being pentecostal is wrong and dancing in worship is perfectly biblical and a wonderful expression of true worship when it's from a sincere heart (as you described your love for dancing before the Lord is).

My contention was with trying to put worshipers in a "cookie cutter" of "approved" or "best" worship practices. It's a focus on the exterior, or performance, to determine what is in ones heart. Jesus said that true worshipers worship in spirit and truth. How can you know how or whether a person's spirit is interacting with God's Spirit merely by whether or not they are dancing or spinning or twirling? You cannot.

And if Christian leaders/mentors/disciplers would allow God Himself to draw people into worship, their sincere expressions would emerge without our help to taint them with wrong motives.

Does that make sense? I surely didn't mean to say that dance is invalid or wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Like I said at the beginning of my last post: When I started attending TPCC, I was very glad for the freedom people had to express themselves in worship without it being "freaky." It is only the wrong strategy or practice of imposing modes of worship that I was pointing to as being performance oriented.

I hope that clears up my intent behind the testimony.

Dance on, Miki!! :)

Current Page: 90 of 351

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.