Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:16AM

Apollo
...(David) is a very persuasive man. This is a man who God has at this time and in this corner of the world, anointed as his apostle. Who wouldn't want to be an Apostle?!!!

Actually, it must really be hard, being David McKay.

Think about it: it must really suck to be him.

It seems like that to David, everybody is crazy and brainwashed except for himself and the Jesus Christians.

And it has got to be terrifying, a lonely frustrating existence, to believe oneself to be the only one in the world who is ever right about anything.

Has anybody here ever read anything about Professor Robert Sapolsky and his studies having to do with the stress response in the wild baboon, as a function of its social status?

Being David McKay must be very stressful, even for a man who cannot experience fear. No wonder he is, by all accounts, in such poor health. Both of them.

[www.pbs.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 07, 2011 05:29AM

It´s difficult for me to judge now, how much I subconciously adopted of McKay...you´d really need to ask someone familiar with me prior to recruitment...and who was also then able to observe me over the years I was active with the "Christians" (as we were then).... I was generally regarded I think as a "nuisance" (unreliable, often requiring uneccesary explanations and so on) by McKay...hence I adopted the "theology" whole heartedly...but may have been less successful in my adoption of McKay´s personal characteristics.

I would think though that generally the "paradigm"(of tending to conform to the personality of someone in authority) holds true...

Date: July 07, 2011 05:40AM

Milgram-Asch-Zimbardo.

Modern social psychological research demonstrates that across the board that on average, about two-thirds of individuals (socioeconomic status, age, and other variables) will obey the authority figure, disregard the evidence of their own perceptions in order to conform to a group expectation, or subjugate their own identity and internal ethics in the face of a situational logic, in the process of assuming some role.

Sixty-six percent, on average. Milgram-Asch-Zimbardo.

Remember that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 05:42AM by zeuszor.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:44AM

Actually, it must really be hard, being David McKay.

Think about it: it must really suck to be him.

Poor Dave McKay. What a tough life it is being him.

But wait a minute, he is always off-loading all his suckery and venom onto his followers and anyone else he can level his sights at--that is one of the founding needs for his forming a cult, to have ready victims to dump on conveniently close at hand.
So Dave McKay might be mega-stressed but he is continually venting it, just spreading the love.

Somehow I don't feel much sympathy for him.
Maybe next time he is in Kenya he can nip over to the Professor's baboon troop and compare stress factors with the alpha male. I bet the alpha baboon doesn't worry about his stress levels, thats what pecking orders are for, after all.

I am informed that baboons can be quite vicious indeed, and not too fond of proselytising Apostles either.
Hmmm, its a thought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 05:53AM by Stoic.

Date: July 07, 2011 05:52AM

He must live in a bizarre world, that's all I am saying. I don't feel much sympathy for him either and will feel happy when he leaves this world, but I also cannot help but pity him in a way.

Date: July 07, 2011 05:58AM

'I also cannot help but pity him in a way'

I would call that deadly, but then I am irreparably jaded where sociopathy is concerned.
I could write a book "The Sociopaths I Have Known" but it wouldn't make for a fun read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 05:59AM by Stoic.

Date: July 07, 2011 06:09AM

To put a fine point on what I mean to express: I have gotten to a point at which I no longer blame David for being David, any more than I blame a deadly serpent for being a deadly serpent.

He is behaving according to his nature, and I accept this now. It doesn't upset me anymore, the fact of evil in the world. Therefore, he has no control over me and I have no fear in my walk in the garden, so to speak.

All I've really been trying to do for all this time is tell my fellow hikers, the other people on the trail, "Hey, watch your step!"

Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: July 07, 2011 06:17AM

Roland pimping himself in a jail suit. Well at least it's him this time and not his son.

[www.londoncatholicworker.org]

Date: July 07, 2011 06:19AM

I think that to be as Dave McKay has been and will continue to be is a sad waste of a human life, but he is responsible for his actions and behaviour and so deserves no pity.

He would not pass up a chance to take advantage, to your detriment, of any feelings of pity that he sniffed out. He's an opportunist, always on the lookout for a kindly frog.

Date: July 07, 2011 06:20AM

Stoic
I think that to be as Dave McKay has been and will continue to be is a sad waste of a human life, but he is responsible for his actions and behaviour and so deserves no pity.

He would not pass up a chance to take advantage, to your detriment, of any feelings of pity that he sniffed out. He's an opportunist, always on the lookout for a kindly frog.

The world will be a better place without him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.