Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 04, 2011 07:33AM

"Will our bad body odor keep you from entering into the Kingdom?"

Classic!
You really know that they have the magic key with a sales pitch like that for the heavenly afterlife.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 07:41AM by Stoic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: July 04, 2011 07:46AM

I met the JCs in Dallas in the spring/summer of '02, and later was emailing them from Baghdad in the spring/summer of '05. This was three years or so after I bolted from that room on the first afternoon of my quickly-aborted trial week. I "went live" with my online activism against the group in the summer of '06, after Long Beach. This was way before any of my gossipy detractors was involved, by the way. You could say that I never forgot them, and always tried to keep up with where they were and what they were doing. Now it's summer 2011 and I am still here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 08:00AM by zeuszor.

Date: July 04, 2011 08:02AM

No, I was in Baghdad in '05 and not '04 as I incorrectly wrote earlier. My bad. It's been a while, you know?

Date: July 04, 2011 08:12AM

zeuszor
I met the JCs in Dallas in the spring/summer of '02, and later was emailing them from Baghdad in the spring/summer of '05. This was three years or so after I bolted from that room on the first afternoon of my quickly-aborted trial week. I "went live" with my online activism against the group in the summer of '06, after Long Beach. This was way before any of my gossipy detractors was involved, by the way. You could say that I never forgot them, and always tried to keep up with where they were and what they were doing. Now it's summer 2011 and I am still here.

But the first time I ever MET a JC was on the street in Dallas in the fall of '01, not long after 9/11. James and I spoke and he gave me a business card with a phone number on it. I went to see for myself in the form of a trial week later, in spring/early summer of '02. So it just occurred to me that it's been nearly TEN YEARS that the JCs have been a part of my life. Sheesh. Time flies.

Date: July 04, 2011 08:33AM

I had a casual chat once with some $cientologists on the street outside one of their free personality test shops in Tottenham Court Road--simply because I was nosy about what they were up to. Seven years later they were still turning up on my doorstep trying to sign me up.
Anything that needs that much of a hard-sell has to get you wondering.

There was a period in the late seventies, early eighties when London was awash with little groups of jesus freaks who would collar anybody who was on the street alone and invite them to a barbecue/bible reading/friends get-together. Big city equals lonely and often alienated people, easy pickings for proselytising.

A far worse phenomenom was the good-looking young men (a front for the sleazy old coots who bankrolled and controlled the young men) who would hang around the major train and bus stations looking for runaway girls coming to the bright lights and offer them a place to stay, a fast boyfriend experience and an even faster route into prostitution.

Dave McKay is in that company, the sleazy old coots with an eye to the main chance.

We live and learn, and hopefully survive the education.

Date: July 04, 2011 08:37AM

Dave McKay is in that company, the sleazy old coots with an eye to the main chance.

An evil spiritual chickenhawk (or rock spider, if you prefer), he.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 08:39AM by zeuszor.

Date: July 04, 2011 09:01PM

Happy Independence Day, all!

And speaking of independence: KC, if you ever want to leave your present situation and decide to seek some professional help in the form of formal psychological counseling, then (as I have previously written) I will personally pay for your travel expenses there. The same offer applies to any other genuine JC graduate that may decide to seek help. You know how to reach me.

Date: July 04, 2011 09:58PM

An evil spiritual chickenhawk (or rock spider, if you prefer), he.

I don't think that there is anything even remotely 'spiritual' about it, (certinly not for Dave McKay, perhaps a bit for the confused followers) apart from the glib religious rhetoric which he plagiarised from David 'Mo' Berg, of the notorious Children of God.

It is simple, old fashioned exploitation, no more, no less.

Date: July 04, 2011 10:28PM

He's just another pimp.

Date: July 04, 2011 10:33PM

Happy Independence Day.

I'll spare you Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner, but I am listening to it all day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.