Current Page: 5 of 21
Question for Alcoholics Anonymous experts.
Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 09, 2006 04:52PM

Upsidedownnewspaper: This isn't about language, it's about the underlying concepts. These are concepts which are group-specific, they are not general, and, as such, adoption of these concepts causes dependence on the organisation (AA) and reduces the member's integration in general society. The question is whether or not it is acceptable for the courts to offer Hobson's choice in the matter, there is no implication that people be prevented from voluntarily joining AA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 09, 2006 06:26PM

barabara
upside down:

If you like, we can start using the word, "Intelligent design" or "Matrix".

How about we just use the word "troll"?

But be ready for the antitrollists. I was thinking a sort of non-gender specific, god-free "Mr Sobriety" in a big cuddly blue suit. Or green if blue has some sort of fantastic, unreality smurf connotation.

"Trust in Mr Sobriety" will keep the alcoholics safe, grounded.

Press on, Barabara.

Posted by: Colter ()
Date: August 09, 2006 08:36PM

barabara
[b:d9b17dd07d]colter:[/b:d9b17dd07d]
You keep talking, repeatedly, about how "[b:d9b17dd07d]AA can't help it[/b:d9b17dd07d] " if the courts coerce people into going to meetings, saying that AA does not promote itself.

I keep pointing out that [b:d9b17dd07d]AA does promote itself[/b:d9b17dd07d] to those courts.
You can't disprove this, so you try to discredit me by claiming I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

You are engaging in circular reasoning, (if you want to call it reasoning; I call it[b:d9b17dd07d] obfuscation[/b:d9b17dd07d]).
You have followed us from one thread to the next in an attempt to silence us and promote your romanticized version of AA.

[b:d9b17dd07d]Either AA tries to get the courts to send alkies to meetings, or it doesn't.[/b:d9b17dd07d]
It's very simple.
[b:d9b17dd07d]I posted proof, written by AA, that AA deliberately approaches the courts and offers their services as a rehabilitation program to send reprobates to.[/b:d9b17dd07d]

AA [b:d9b17dd07d]is[/b:d9b17dd07d] in charge of whether or not it recieves and accepts [b:d9b17dd07d]involuntary[/b:d9b17dd07d] attendees at meetings.

[b:d9b17dd07d]AA promotes itself to the courts, after all.[/b:d9b17dd07d]
Call it what you like.

Mountains and molehills?

One man's mole hill is another man's reason to start a revolution.

Our forefathers obviously felt that freedom from government-imposed religion was important; hence, it was amended to the constitution.
Our country has chosen to retain it as a right.

Perhaps you are of the opinion that these rights aren't in fact[b:d9b17dd07d] inalienable[/b:d9b17dd07d], but [b:d9b17dd07d]revokable[/b:d9b17dd07d] depending on the circumstances.
After all, how can it possibly hurt to cram religion down the throats of those whom society finds "difficult" to deal with.
What will be next?
Scientology offered by the courts as a cure for mental illness?
Krishna consciousness perhaps?
(Just in case you think I'm being ridiculous, there is a "Krishna farm" mentioned on one of the other threads that has begun to promote itself, in advertisements on the internet, as a "detoxification" program for drug users.)
[b:d9b17dd07d]Fortunately, so far, the courts have upheld 1st amendment rights.[/b:d9b17dd07d]

Perhaps in the future, the religious fanatics will prevail, and we'll all be forced to pledge allegiance to the religious principles you claim to hold so dear.
Your purpose here, "colter", is self-evident; you want everyone to stop saying "negative" things about AA.
You seem to want this forum to be "your way or the highway".
Because you don't have the skill at debate to do so, you have resorted to using every trick in the book to discredit your opponents or [b:d9b17dd07d]drive them off.[/b:d9b17dd07d]
Didn't they teach you in AA that you're not "in control"?
Around here, if you try this at meetings, they ask you "Who do you think [b:d9b17dd07d]you[/b:d9b17dd07d] are, Mr. Sobriety?"

You can try to trivialize our discussion, if you like, because you think it inconsequential, or because you want everyone to agree with you that AA is a sacred program and the salvation of millions, but I assure you that the [b:d9b17dd07d]lawmakers are at present and will be in the future concerned with the issues we have been discussing.

[/b:d9b17dd07d]Language [b:d9b17dd07d]does[/b:d9b17dd07d] matter.

Your flaw, semantically speaking, is gross oversimplication in the service of hubris.

Like I said Barbara, it's a disease of perception. :( One mans salvation is another's indoctrination by an evil cult.

My [i:d9b17dd07d]romanticized version of AA[/i:d9b17dd07d] came about because I have abandoned myself to it instead of first trying to remodel everyone and everything about it to suite my perceptions.

"He who would save his life shall loose it while he who would give it up shall find life everlasting."

" Trust in God like an unspoiled child".

I'm less concerned about your good opinion of me and more concerned with the defense of truth. There cannot be peace between light and darkness, between life and death, between truth and error.

What your missing about the courts and AA is that the Judge gives citizens a choice, a couple of days or weeks in jail or attending AA meetings in hopes that the individual may get some help. [i:d9b17dd07d]Your perception[/i:d9b17dd07d] of the courts trying to shove religion down someone's throat is actually a compassionate judge trying to help people.

Colter

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 09, 2006 08:45PM

Colter:

There is a very specific definition for a destructive "cult."

See [www.culteducation.com]

I don't know of any cult expert that has said, "AA is a cult."

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 09, 2006 08:59PM

Colter: You appear to be overlooking the fact that membership of AA is not a prerequisite of sobriety.

Date: August 09, 2006 09:43PM

ughaibu
Upsidedownnewspaper: This isn't about language, it's about the underlying concepts. These are concepts which are group-specific, they are not general, and, as such, adoption of these concepts causes dependence on the organisation (AA) and reduces the member's integration in general society. The question is whether or not it is acceptable for the courts to offer Hobson's choice in the matter, there is no implication that people be prevented from voluntarily joining AA.

It isn't about language...

Language is important...

It's about the courts...

It's about my experience...

It's about predatorial people in society...

It's about my definition of god...

It's about me, not the group...

...HOW ABOUT IT'S ABOUT GETTING SOBER??

You want to argue that courts have no rights to send people to AA? Well, it doesn't send people to AA. It gives them a choice.

You want to argue that courts have no rights to send people to AA? Well, start looking into democratically elected parliaments and the courts they put in place. And think about doing it on a noticeboard whose main concern isn't destructive cults.

Your threads about AA are interesting because they force a line to be drawn in the sand: what constitutes a destructive cult and what doesn't.

I know what doesn't.

Date: August 09, 2006 10:19PM

ughaibu
Colter: You appear to be overlooking the fact that membership of AA is not a prerequisite of sobriety.

True ughaiba, all alcoholics eventually get sober, it's just that some of us get sober before we assume "room temperature".

Prior to the birth of AA in 1934 the medical profession had little hope of bringing about long term sobriety for alcoholics.

There were two movements prior to AA that sprung up around the idea of "group participation" that showed some promise. The first was the "Washintonions" and the other the "Oxford movement". The Washintonians evolved into a political/temperance movement and collapsed, the Oxford Group was the springboard for AA and is now known as "Moral Rerearament".

AA learned from both of these movements pro and con hence the implementation of the 12 traditions in 1955.

There are other groups that have spun off of AA and may show promise.

The courts and treatment centers have favored AA because of the quality of the program and it's history of wide success.

Secular humanists not being satisfied with separation of church and state have now made their way around to charitable organizations like AA and are trying to disassemble them by the usual intellectual psycho sociological spinning.

Colter

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 09, 2006 11:37PM

It isn't about language...

Language is important...

It's about the courts...

It's about my experience...

It's about predatorial people in society..
This seems to me like an attempt to discredit the thread such as posts by those referred to as "trolls".

How's this for a "deviant reality"?

There is a solution
When, therefore, we were approached by
those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left
for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet.
[b:2e894c3b5c]We have found much of Heaven and we have been rocketed into a
fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed[/b:2e894c3b5c].
How sane is that last sentence?
This is what a newcomer hears at every meeting, at least around here.
I heard this at almost every meeting I went to.
It's that "rocketed into a fourth dimension" part that I'm talking about, in case you're wondering.
Of course, no one takes that [b:2e894c3b5c]seriously[/b:2e894c3b5c], do they?
Oh yes, they do.
I've heard it chewed and gnawed on during meetings, many times, especially fundamentalist "big book studies".
It's a psychotic statement when taken seriously.
Kind of like Urantia's aliens; rocket ships, divine protection only if your motives are pure..........

Maybe the authors were talking about their experiments with psychotropics when they wrote this.
LSD will certainly rocket you into a fourth dimension, that's for sure.

A Reading On
"The Reality of Spiritual Experience"

Perhaps you raise the question of hallucination versus the divine imagery of a genuine spiritual experience. I doubt if anyone has authoritatively defined what an hallucination really is.

--From 'As Bill Sees It' page 182

tip:
A hallucination is what Bill Wilson had when he experimented with LSD.
It's kind of like the opposite of sobriety.
I remember back in the day, a lot of people claimed that LSD produced a "spiritual experience".
Most medical professionals decided it was just a hallucination, though, as did most ex-acid heads, after a dozen or so "spiritual experiences" like the first one.
I guess Bill never figured that one out.

But I suppose the fact that the AA bible was written by a man whose exploits with psychotropic drugs are well-documented has no relevance here, according to the AA defenders.

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 10, 2006 01:06AM

colter:

he Washintonians evolved into a political/temperance movement and collapsed, the Oxford Group was the springboard for AA and is now known as "Moral Rerearament"
[religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu]

1. I. Group Profile
1. Name:[b:4c201f8304] Moral Re-Armament[/b:4c201f8304]
3. Founder: Frank Nathan Daniel Buchman 1
[b:4c201f8304]The Oxford Group's aims are a new social order under the dictatorship[/color:4c201f8304] of the spirit of God[/b:4c201f8304], making for better human relationships, for unselfish-cooperation, cleaner business and politics, and elimination of political, industrial, and racial antagonisms;27 and that all men in their ordinary professions and in their home should learn to live a life of perfect purity, honesty, and love and that many should join the ministry of the Church.
1. "Buchman's program consisted of personal evangelism with emphasis upon:
1. Both public and private confession of sin, with an emphasis upon sexual sin
2. Reception of divine guidance during quiet time
3. Complete surrender to this guidance
4. The living of a guided life in which every aspect of one's actions, down to the choice of dinner entree, was controlled by God
5. Practice of the Buchmanite four absolutes - purity, honesty, love, and unselfishness
6. Making restitution to those one has harmed
7. Carrying the message to those still defeated"28

IV. Issues and Controversies

Another incident involved Buchman being banned from Princeton University in 1924,32 because[b:4c201f8304] the young Buchmanites were persistently crude in invasions of physical and spiritual privacy, had high-pressured attempts at life-changing, an obsessive and often impertinent harping on sin, especially sexual sin[/color:4c201f8304][/b:4c201f8304], and experiments in Guidance which have sometimes led students to neglect work and cut exams. His obsession with sexual sin is apparent here especially when he told the president of Princeton that 85% of the undergraduates were either sexually perverted or self-abusive.

This problem surfaced once again in the 1950's and 1960's when a book written by Peter Howard, successor to Buchman, said "264 homosexuals were reported to have been purged from the American State Department. Many of them moved to New York and took jobs in the United Nations". Another occasion is when MRA in a 1963 advertisement in the New York Times [b:4c201f8304]attacked sexual deviants in high places who protect potential spies.[/b:4c201f8304] With its obsession, MRA brought more criticism to itself than what it needed.

[b:4c201f8304]One of the biggest issues with MRA was the fabled "Thank heaven for Hitler" remark by Buchman.33 In this interview published in August 26, 1936, Buchman said "I thank heaven for a man like Adolf Hitler[/color:4c201f8304], who built a front line of defense against the anti-Christ of Communism[/b:4c201f8304]...Of course I don't condone everything the Nazis do." [b:4c201f8304]This statement brought criticism to Buchman as a Nazi lover and his statement of Himmler being a great lad got him the label of a pro-Nazi.[/b:4c201f8304] This was the beginning of fall of MRA, due to a slip with the media and MRA inability to participate in an open debate.
This was the "springboard for AA"?
(You said it, "colter", not me.)
[b:4c201f8304]A pro-Hitler, sexually-obcessed movement for a "new social order"[/b:4c201f8304]?

Date: August 10, 2006 01:32AM

It's a psychotic statement when taken seriously.
Kind of like Urantia's aliens; rocket ships, divine protection only if your motives are pure..........

Nice little rip Barb! :wink:

At times I understand you and at others you go off the ranch..... IMO.

Back in another thread you indicated that you attended bible school and enjoyed it and that you have a Protestant religious background of a personal nature. Not in any way wanting to parse your personal religious leanings I just wanted to say that I find it confusing that you have such disdain for the spiritual concepts of AA , the fellowship of believers, the description of our spiritual rebirth and on and on yet you have a personal spiritual life.

Have you read what Jesus said?

Is Christianity also a cult under your definition?

Colter

Current Page: 5 of 21

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.