Current Page: 6 of 21
Question for Alcoholics Anonymous experts.
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 10, 2006 01:35AM

Let's try not to get too preachy here one way or another please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Colter ()
Date: August 10, 2006 01:48AM

barabara
colter:

he Washintonians evolved into a political/temperance movement and collapsed, the Oxford Group was the springboard for AA and is now known as "Moral Rerearament"
[religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu]

1. I. Group Profile
1. Name:[b:8f223301c3] Moral Re-Armament[/b:8f223301c3]
3. Founder: Frank Nathan Daniel Buchman 1
[b:8f223301c3]The Oxford Group's aims are a new social order under the dictatorship[/color:8f223301c3] of the spirit of God[/b:8f223301c3], making for better human relationships, for unselfish-cooperation, cleaner business and politics, and elimination of political, industrial, and racial antagonisms;27 and that all men in their ordinary professions and in their home should learn to live a life of perfect purity, honesty, and love and that many should join the ministry of the Church.
1. "Buchman's program consisted of personal evangelism with emphasis upon:
1. Both public and private confession of sin, with an emphasis upon sexual sin
2. Reception of divine guidance during quiet time
3. Complete surrender to this guidance
4. The living of a guided life in which every aspect of one's actions, down to the choice of dinner entree, was controlled by God
5. Practice of the Buchmanite four absolutes - purity, honesty, love, and unselfishness
6. Making restitution to those one has harmed
7. Carrying the message to those still defeated"28

IV. Issues and Controversies

Another incident involved Buchman being banned from Princeton University in 1924,32 because[b:8f223301c3] the young Buchmanites were persistently crude in invasions of physical and spiritual privacy, had high-pressured attempts at life-changing, an obsessive and often impertinent harping on sin, especially sexual sin[/color:8f223301c3][/b:8f223301c3], and experiments in Guidance which have sometimes led students to neglect work and cut exams. His obsession with sexual sin is apparent here especially when he told the president of Princeton that 85% of the undergraduates were either sexually perverted or self-abusive.

This problem surfaced once again in the 1950's and 1960's when a book written by Peter Howard, successor to Buchman, said "264 homosexuals were reported to have been purged from the American State Department. Many of them moved to New York and took jobs in the United Nations". Another occasion is when MRA in a 1963 advertisement in the New York Times [b:8f223301c3]attacked sexual deviants in high places who protect potential spies.[/b:8f223301c3] With its obsession, MRA brought more criticism to itself than what it needed.

[b:8f223301c3]One of the biggest issues with MRA was the fabled "Thank heaven for Hitler" remark by Buchman.33 In this interview published in August 26, 1936, Buchman said "I thank heaven for a man like Adolf Hitler[/color:8f223301c3], who built a front line of defense against the anti-Christ of Communism[/b:8f223301c3]...Of course I don't condone everything the Nazis do." [b:8f223301c3]This statement brought criticism to Buchman as a Nazi lover and his statement of Himmler being a great lad got him the label of a pro-Nazi.[/b:8f223301c3] This was the beginning of fall of MRA, due to a slip with the media and MRA inability to participate in an open debate.
This was the "springboard for AA"?
(You said it, "colter", not me.)
[b:8f223301c3]A pro-Hitler, sexually-obcessed movement for a "new social order"[/b:8f223301c3]?

This is a new low in attempted guilt by association. You know darn well that the drunks left the Oxford movement and started AA. We had little interest in the activities, political or otherwise of the Buchman crowd! We just wanted to stay sober and form a movement around that singleness of purpose.

Colter

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:43AM

What, you can dish it out but you can't take it?

Colter:

This is a new low in attempted guilt by association.
This from the king of applying "guilt by association", who accused me of siding with a Godless conspiracy to drive out the Christian leaders, the so-called "secular revolt"?

[b:29cf81191b]You're the one who said the oxford group, now known as Moral Re-armament was the "springboard for AA", not me.[/b:29cf81191b]

If you don't want me to shoot, don't hand me a loaded gun.

If that truly was the springboard for AA, I am even more leery of AA, now, if that's possible.

Date: August 10, 2006 08:48AM

rrmoderator
Colter:

There is a very specific definition for a destructive "cult."

See [www.culteducation.com]

I don't know of any cult expert that has said, "AA is a cult."

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link, I agree that AA is not a cult but I must say that I still see the term "cult" as very malleable. One could make the argument using some of the loose definitions that the Pittsburgh Steelers are a cult.

To me the outstanding characteristic of a cult is the central control and undue reverence of a single leader. The ones that stick out in my mind such as Jim Jones back in the 70's or Heaven's Gate all had a central figures and a kind of forward march, a congealing ideology leading to a self fulfilling, apocalyptic climax. David Koresh sort of predicted his ultimate demise.

Some of the other components of the cult definition seem more gray to me and could apply to many purpose driven groups.

We can see how some of these elements can be misused by persons with a grudge for helpful groups.

Colter

Date: August 10, 2006 09:09AM

colter:

We can see how some of these elements can be misused by persons with a grudge for helpful groups.

So, it's back to the old "they have a grudge" defense.

Perhaps all of this unpleasantness is just a case of "the alcoholic personality" at play:
[www.aa-uk.org.uk]

Bad things can happen when alcoholics communicate too directly with each other, as any bartender knows. Tempers are lost, fists are raised, knives and guns come out.

For whatever motives, the moderators have allowed us to discuss these issues.
I don't see any reason for the unpleasantness.

Date: August 10, 2006 10:25AM

barabara
colter:

So, it's back to the old "they have a grudge" defense.

Perhaps all of this unpleasantness is just a case of "the alcoholic personality" at play:
[www.aa-uk.org.uk]

Bad things can happen when alcoholics communicate too directly with each other, as any bartender knows. Tempers are lost, fists are raised, knives and guns come out.

For whatever motives, the moderators have allowed us to discuss these issues.
I don't see any reason for the unpleasantness.

Good link Barb, nothing in it about Hitler and AA.

This gave me a big ROF [b:a6d8ba04d4]:"There are few more culturally perplexing sights than that of a group in, say, Beverly Hills, composed largely of alcoholic Jews, having to finish a meeting with a recitation of the Lord's Prayer."[/color:a6d8ba04d4] [/b:a6d8ba04d4]

dam true! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my home group theirs a Jew, a Sufis Muslim, some atheist and a couple of nature worshipers and me, the Urantia Book guy. The prayers at the end of the meeting (chairman's choice) have always humored me. I peek sometimes just out of curiosity.

Colter

Date: August 10, 2006 12:15PM

colter:

Good link Barb, nothing in it about Hitler and AA.

Cute!
You can take a joke, can't you?

[www.orange-papers.org]

The real history of Alcoholics Anonymous and its predecessor organization, Frank Buchman's Oxford Group cult, is a fascinating epic historical melodrama that has everything a good historical novel could wish for:

• sex,
• violence,
• goose-stepping Nazi soldiers and their beautiful blond women,
• deceitful traitors and brave patriots and cowardly draft-dodgers and two-faced flag-waving chicken-hawks,
• insane rabid ultra-right-wing multi-millionaires who preferred Adolf Hitler over President Franklin D. Roosevelt,
• racism,
• bigotry,
• homophobia, homosexuals and lesbians,
• crazy raving lunatics who claimed that God sent them to save the world,
• and even all of the down-and-out drunkards under the bridge.
And then some.....

Sounds like s good read to me.
I'll try it for a bedtime story.

Date: August 10, 2006 01:32PM

barabara

It's about predatorial people in society..
It isn't about having a discussion;
It's about causing disruption to one,
maybe because you don't like what's being said.
It's about trying to kill a thread.
It's about how much you enjoy baiting others here.
Kind of like the way you baited [b:7995ac160c]Richard Green[/b:7995ac160c] on another thread.
[b:7995ac160c]It's about having fun being a troll.[/b:7995ac160c]

My position here on this thread is to maintain that AA is not a destructive cult. And to maintain that the only collective goal of an AA group is sobriety.

As for being a troll, I suppose I DO think some people need their tyrannical beliefs challenged...I am a troll. I accept it.

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 10, 2006 01:53PM

Upsidedownnewspaper: Is it germane to "maintain that AA is not a destructive cult"? Considering the inquiry addressed by this thead, you may be crying before you're hurt.
You should also bear in mind that on various threads members of the (alleged) cult, under discussion, have appeared and attempted to justify the organisation in question. So, if you intend to successfully challenge a perception that AA is a cult, you will need to address the cultic features of the organisation, not simply extoll the organisation's virtues.

Date: August 10, 2006 01:56PM

I'm finding the history of Buchman and the Oxford group, and how much AA dogma owes to Buchman's ideas, absolutely fascinating.

Especially the ideas about receiving God's guidance only through group consensus, which has carried over into AA.

Very interesting.

Current Page: 6 of 21

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.