Current Page: 1 of 35
Alcholics Anonymous should be regarded as a cult.
Posted by: Tracey ()
Date: February 26, 2003 07:28PM

It was formed by Bill Wilson in 1938 and came out of the Oxford Group which was devised by Dr Frank Buckman. The Oxford Group was an extremely strict, isolationist and anti-life Christian sect. Bill Wilson wanted all his adherents to believe in the same god that he did but that was changed to a belief in a personal god of your choice as Buckman did not want to see AA linked to the Oxford Group.

The twelve steps are designed to create dependency on the group and enforce extreme humility on its members. There is a high failure rate amongst AA members compared with a control group of alcholics who do not receive therapy. By forcing those convicted of crimes linked with alcohol abuse to attend AA meetings the US courts stand guilty of enforcing religion on them and a backward religious cult at that.

While the major world church denominations have gone through changes throughout the 20th Century, AA and it's sister organisations Al-Anon and ALCOA have not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 26, 2003 08:31PM

Obviously many people would disagree with this negative portrayal and analysis of AA. Others seem to feel the program has helped people.

Unlike destructive groups called "cults" AA does not have an absolute leader and is in fact not rigidly organized around an established hierarchy that exploits its members.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 01, 2003 01:40AM

rrmoderator
Obviously many people would disagree with this negative portrayal and analysis of AA. Others seem to feel the program has helped people.

Unlike destructive groups called "cults" AA does not have an absolute leader and is in fact not rigidly organized around an established hierarchy that exploits its members.

GROW (Growth to Maturity) is a mental health movement that started in Australia and now is in 6 countries. It also uses a 12 step method. It's very loosely controlled and decentralized. I know there's no abuse by leaders in the group. I used to attend and lead a group.
It has a method card that you have to stick to in order for it to be "authentic GROW". One of my friends said it was kind of cult like. But it definitely isn't . Also, there are no dues, etc..
Money is one thing that motivates a lot of cult leaders. So is
sex (Guru Maharaji).

Posted by: LaughingWillow ()
Date: October 23, 2004 04:10PM

I went to an overeaters anoyonmos and an-non and both felt really weird....I dont like the whole introduction...of "Hi I am Jojo, an overeater."

That feels creepy to me....I am more than that....I am also artistic, funny, creative, a great writer, playful, nurturing..and so on...I dont like the idea of one's whole identity being summarazed to their disorder. To me that is just sick!!!

Jojo

Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: February 27, 2005 09:54AM

AA is, IMO, not a cult, in that it does not have any actual leaders, per se. However, because drunks (and addicts) who join are desparate people in need of guidance, the door is open to all kinds of abuse of the program.

The real danger lies in the wording of the steps and the literature. To let Go and Let God can be interpreted in many ways; it is extremely confusing for a suggestible newcomer to the program.

Many people hide in AA, nursing their disease forever because of the feeling of belonging.

The best advise I can give to anyone looking for help through AA, or anyone who has a loved one in the program is this:

Although AA is not a true Cult, the program lends itself to certain interpretations that foster cult-like behavior.
Make friends the same way you do anywhere else; with caution and descernment.
Remember that no human is a God, that all are fallible.

Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: February 27, 2005 10:04AM

By the way, I would love to see a forum focused on the pitfalls of the 12 step programs. This forum was a little hard to find, and I think there is a real flaw in the 12 steps that needs to be adressed.
Just a suggestion. javascript:emoticon(':idea:')

Posted by: Timmer ()
Date: May 28, 2005 11:50AM

I don't think it's fair to call AA a cult. It varies from place to place, is highly decentralized (so much so that local leaders barely know the national office, from what I understand.) It doesn't demand your money nad won't take financial support from just anyone. It has no theology, except the aforementioned "Let go and let God" (as you understand God -- the Higher Power), which is a very sound principle. As I understand it, the sponsor is there to support you, not control you.

BTW, I have been hearing a lot lately that Bill W. studied with the metaphysical teacher Emma Curtis Hopkins, but I have been unable to verify that. Does anyone know if this is true and where I might find documentation?

Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: June 13, 2005 04:52PM

This is a very interesting topic. It demonstrates just how grey the grey areas can be (if that even makes any sense).

I would imagine that AA was set up purely to help alcoholics, not to make loads of money or satisfy the ego of some aspiring guru. And yet, part of the help presumably involves changing people's way of thinking, and that might involve techniques that could arguably be described as "mind control" or manipulation. I'd imagine that there is a lot of variance between group leaders.

This reminds me a lot about my feelings regarding therapy in general. In theory, it can be beneficial. But the problem is, it relies so heavily on the skill and experience of the therapist, and therapists are only human. You go to see them when you are vulnerable and seeking answers, so there's a lot of scope for abuse. I like the idea of therapy in concept -- it's a way of learning new things, new ways of dealing with problems and so on... but in practise, I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone who was helped by it (I'm sure some have, I just haven't met them). Everyone who goes through it [b:92726e7ff0]says[/b:92726e7ff0] they've been helped, but I've never been convinced by what's been related to me. In my own family, there is a direct correlation (IMO) between how much therapy a family member has gone through and how absolutely bonkers they are today. People who know me and my family often say things along the lines of "You're so normal compared to the rest of your family" -- and I'm the only one who's never seen a therapist (I think I was too young when they first all got into it for family therapy, and by the time I was old enough to choose for myself, I'd been completely put off).

And then you read about these stories where therapists have put their patients under hypnosis and convinced them that they were abused and have repressed memories and all that... not that I'm saying repressed memories don't exist, but it seems like a lot of them are fabricated just because the therapist in question thinks it's a cool concept (not to be too glib).

Anyway, interesting topic. I think the point is for people to stay aware, and maintain their own powers of critical observation -- don't let anyone else tell you what to think or feel, unless it makes sense to you independently of the influence of a therapist or group leader or whatever. AA is probably not intended to be a cult, but it is run by humans who are just like the rest of us, who have their own problems and egos and points of view on life. We aren't all created equal when it comes to helping and understanding others.

Posted by: Tj ()
Date: December 04, 2005 12:24PM

My experience of 12 step has been very positive for the past four years. I live in Las Vegas, and I have nearly 100 Gamblers Anonymous meetings to choose from weekly. I realize this is a wealth of choice few cities can offer to the addicted of any kind, but I can choose to attend meetings where I am helped within my comfort zone.

Sponsors of my experience are my sounding board and guide in working the 12 steps, but I do the work for myself. The sponsees I guide don't do it the way I've done it, it's much too personal for strict direction.

I am a meeting chairperson and in our area, I can be replaced with a simple hand vote if I get uppity. Again, we do have a wealth of choice here.

As to the Higher Power of one's own understanding, my favorite was a fellow member who chose a rock and painted it blue. He put it on his television set and wrote his own "doctrine." To gamble, he must first throw his higher power through the window behind the TV. He says many times he avoided gambling by realizing he would have to come home feeling like cr*p for gambling, go find and pick up the d*mn rock and put it back on the TV and fix the flippin' window.

That higher power came from no one else I know - but maybe Rick better watch for the Blue Rockers!

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: December 06, 2005 02:13AM

bonnie
By the way, I would love to see a forum focused on the pitfalls of the 12 step programs. This forum was a little hard to find, and I think there is a real flaw in the 12 steps that needs to be adressed.
Just a suggestion. javascript:emoticon(':idea:')

For once I agree with you, Bonnie! :wink:

Current Page: 1 of 35

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.