Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 15, 2018 03:19AM

LR, did you ever go out on one of Rocky Cowie’s herb picking trips? I remember picking a plant that we used for salads. We called it malva, as I recall. The running joke was not to pick it around fire hydrants. Yikes! Old, weird memories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 15, 2018 03:43AM

Yes puddington. I went on only one herb picking trip to pick chaparral in the desert. When we got to the bushes, Rocky said to throw rocks under the bushes to chase away the rattle snakes. I have always had an irrational fear of snakes and sharks. I think I remember getting a migraine and spending most of the day sitting in the car. I think Charlie Dole joined me. Ha! We also met some desert rats (a couple) who invited us to their home. I remember they had bookcases full of books on the occult. The church members told them about the Walk and invited them to a service. I recall them showing up at the Valley and approaching me. I don't why, but it kind of freaked me to the point that I went to my favorite elder for ministry. The elder told me the couple probably latched on to me because I had an openness. Yeah. Yeah. What's that suppose to mean?

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: March 15, 2018 06:14AM

I was the herb guy for Des Moines and remember meeting with Damon Davis. He would talk to the plants to see if they were edible. A couple of times he talked to mushrooms that apparently lied to him about being edible and he ended up in the hospital. That seemed to be a theme in TLWF – leaders hearing strange voices that caused many to end up in the hospital.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 15, 2018 08:08PM

lily rose wrote:

I have always had an irrational fear of snakes and sharks. I think I remember getting a migraine and spending most of the day sitting in the car. I think Charlie Dole joined me.

It appears that dehydration can be a trigger for migraines. In persons w/o migraine, one sign of dehydration is headache to varying degrees.

[www.google.com]

Did the herb guy see to it that there were ample supplies of water?

And did he remind you all to keep hydrated and how to tell if you needed to drink more water?

* Pinch back of hand or wrist. If your skin sinks slowly, drink.

* A long time has passed and you have not peed.

* Urine that is smelly and dark.

Date: March 16, 2018 11:58AM

The other day a Living Word childhood friend of mine/former YASPer/fellow blow-out was traveling from Hawaii to LAX. When he arrived at the terminal he recognized a man sitting alone at the hotel bar drinking a glass of champagne. Low and behold it was Gary Hargrave (the Christ in the flesh)!

*** Just take a second and imagine Gary in a shepherd shirt and loafers sipping a glass of champagne paid for by APCO support tithes ***

My friend/former YASPer/fellow blow-out approached Gary and said hi. Apparently Gary recognized him (probably because he grew up in the Maui church). G-man told him he was traveling back to LA because Lorena Holbrook is giving birth. AND Gary said he is getting married to Silvana (formerly Jenkins)! Congrats to G-man on his third wife and Rick and his fourth wife's new child!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 12:02PM by girls_turn_it_off.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: March 16, 2018 09:42PM

girls_turn_it_off wrote:
*** Just take a second and imagine Gary in a shepherd shirt and loafers sipping a glass of champagne paid for by APCO support tithes ***

I'll meditate on this image today and get back to you. My initial feeling is that he has been under a great deal of stress, especially after "drinking the cup,"
and is doing everything he can to unwind so to better serve the Body of Christ. Thoughts and prayers for the G-Man.

>G-man told him he was traveling back to LA because Lorena Holbrook is giving >birth. AND Gary said he is getting married to Silvana (formerly Jenkins)! Congrats to G-man on his third wife and Rick and his fourth wife's new child!

Wow--former Yasper blow-outs get the big scoop! Regarding the marriage, does Silvana know about this?

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: March 17, 2018 12:01AM

Salutations, long-time-listener-first-time-poster here. Had used Factnet back in the early 00's when I 'blew out' but it appears to be shut down now. I shed some tears and let out some laughs reading many of these posts and would like to thank you all for your heartfelt empathy toward all who are left questioning after leaving "the source." TLW is all that many people have, and I think that's all very intentional on their part, which makes forums like this so important for survivors. Maybe Survivor is a harsh word, but there is a certain re-programming you have to do when you leave and I think that qualifies as emotional abuse. Not to mention some of the very direct ways people were abused and exploited you all have detailed on here. Those make me shudder! And my heart breaks for those that have been exploited by this movement. That was all very hush hush for those of us in the body, especially in the 90s.

Question for rr or any others. Are you considering detailing any of this in a more organized forum? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to contribute to that. The flow here is very good for dialogue0--which is important!-- but there are many specific topics that I'd care to go back to scattered throughout the page 100-500 marks. I've done a little work in compiling a sort of alternative biography after I realized Factnet closed down. my friend told me that reddit may be a good community, so I posted there the other day. I like that they sort posts by topic, is there any way to do that here?

Here's some of my sources, pulled from my reddit post:

Sources: 1. Apologetics Index, [www.apologeticsindex.org] 2. Culteducation, [forum.culteducation.com] 3. Another Gospel: Cults, Alternative Religions, and the New Age Movement, by Ruth A. Tucker, Zondervan, 2004, ISBN 0-310-25937-1, pages 360-362 4. Vain Glory: John Robert Stevens, Violent Intercession, and The Walk 5. Ronald Enroth: Churches that Abuse. Available at [www.reveal.org] 6. Woodrow Nichols: The Occult Metaphysics of John Robert Stevens [www.dialogueireland.org] 7. George Chryssides, Historical Dictionary of New Religious Movements. Available at: [books.google.com]

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 17, 2018 12:38AM

Great to hear from you GS. Here was so much interesting content on the old FactNet forums. When it was fading away, I tried to grab the content and save it to my hard drive. I probably only got about 20% of it. There was so much. (except for the flame wars)

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: March 17, 2018 02:03AM

Thank you, Paddington. If there's any way to upload that, I would enjoy going through those again. They did get a little bit nasty at times and I'm grateful you and others have kept things more level-headed here.

Recently, I found the full text of Woodrow Nichols' book. I'm about halfway through it, I had no idea the silver mine was investigated by a Californian newspaper. It would be great to know which one and if the article and associated notes still exist in their archives. Here's the link to Nichol's book, [1pdf.net]

and here's my reddit post. I feel so hip!

[www.reddit.com]

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: March 17, 2018 02:26AM

Thanks for posting GSchaeff and welcome. Is there a simple way to access what you have posted? One thing that could be done is to start a new thread on this site based on the subject matter – especially if there is something in particular you want to discuss. There are several threads already. I read several of the sources you suggested while still in TLWF and they had very little effect in setting me free. At the time, I thought they were just a bunch of lies. The fact that I would think that way, in spite of having input from many different sources, is something that needs to be further examined and discussed. There is far more objectivity outside TLWF than within. I’ve read many books since, and it seems you have to have a measure of freedom before you can even begin to understand what the author is trying to address. Having a “revelation” in hindsight is far more about mind control than gaining a deeper understanding of the truth. How absurd it would be now to think that if you obey another human, they can give you the ability to not die – even though they died. Oh, and BTW, if you or the leader does die, it’s your fault. That’s a theology that is sure to bring you hope!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.