Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: September 01, 2016 08:08AM

LILY ROSE:

Hopefully, all of us have in our lives wonderful, loving people who give of themselves to many causes that benefit mankind, no matter what the persuasion, religious or otherwise. Kudos to the church you reference, and to all the wonderful people there, but their contributions hopefully are probably born out of LOVE rather than for the sake of religious doctrine.

I am involved with many wonderful organizations where I live, none of which have any religious persuasion whatsoever. The point being is that religion or no religion is not the issue, but the hearts of the people, in whatever application they so deem.

The GOSPEL of LOVE was never intended to be turned into a religion in the first place, where doctrines only separate and exclude, instead of JOINING and INCLUDING. Because that is not the case, we have forums like this that attempt to heal all the damage religions have done over the millenia.

LOVE is not rocket science, but religion has attempted to make IT so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 08:09AM by kBOY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: September 01, 2016 08:11AM

Larry,

Thanks for sharing your experience with getting counseling. I truly wish I had done that when I left but at the time the awareness about religious cults wasn't readily available as it is today. The friend that I have previously mentioned on this message board who had the failed JRS arranged marriage, when I ran into him, was drinking heavily and was living in his car. For a period of time I let him stay at my home with the condition that he consider going to AA which he did. Eventually he stopped all drinking and got into a work program and rented an apartment. I think his AA sponsor is a trained counselor and they hang out together and that has probably been key in his recovery. Every time I see him I sing that Patty LeBelle song, "I've got a new attitude..."

Date: September 01, 2016 08:34AM

kBoy,

I don't agree with most of what you believe about religion, but it doesn't matter. I love you anyway. Believe what you want. I am including a link for anyone who is interested in the point of view of an atheist journalist regarding the work of Christianity in Africa.

[www.afaithtoliveby.com]

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: September 01, 2016 09:11AM

lily rose. I think I was robbed of the true message, at least diverted from it. Perhaps one of the biggest culprits was the “First Principles” where salvation, LOVE and acceptance are merely a footnote among the fifty lessons. Through massive diversion the important message is subverted and moved to the background in favor of a puffed up Biblical Knowledge whereby the people as a special chosen group take on an unprecedented ambition to rule and reign over all creation as a reward from God for their obvious “better than all others” dedication, devotion and sacrifice.

Date: September 01, 2016 09:23AM

LILY ROSE:

The impact of Jesus upon the world (as stated in the article you linked) and the impact of Christianity upon the world are two different things. The LGBT community throughout most of Africa is highly persecuted and criminalized expressively because of Christian doctrine (although Jesus never happened to mention anything on the subject). The subjugation/extermination of Native Americans in this country was the result of policies heavily influenced by Christian doctrine, as well as the atrocities committed in the name of God to the Aborigines of Australia. There is a Grand Canyon's difference between what Jesus taught and what Christianity promotes.

The majority of Trump supporters are self-proclaimed Christians. Need any more be said?

LOVE ya. :)

Date: September 01, 2016 09:42AM

HEADBANGER NEWS: Love God or Else

"Love God Through Obedience To Him"

August 31, 2016

[www.livingwordpalmerlake.org]

"The way we show God (TLW leadership) we love him (TLW leadership) is by being obedient to Him (TLW leadership)."

"God (TLW leadership) simply wants us to listen to Him (TLW leadership)."

"As much as we don't like to admit it (at least publicly), we are always curious as to what we will get out of this (like ruling and reigning over every godforsaken soul?)."

"There is peace, joy and comfort that will come to God's family in doing His (TLW leadership's) will."

Yippeecayee.

Date: September 01, 2016 10:37AM

kBOY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LILY ROSE:
>
> The impact of Jesus upon the world (as stated in
> the article you linked) and the impact of
> Christianity upon the world are two different
> things. The LGBT community throughout most of
> Africa is highly persecuted and criminalized
> expressively because of Christian doctrine
> (although Jesus never happened to mention anything
> on the subject). The subjugation/extermination of
> Native Americans in this country was the result of
> policies heavily influenced by Christian doctrine,
> as well as the atrocities committed in the name of
> God to the Aborigines of Australia. There is a
> Grand Canyon's difference between what Jesus
> taught and what Christianity promotes.
>
> The majority of Trump supporters are
> self-proclaimed Christians. Need any more be
> said?
>
> LOVE ya. :)

Sorry, again can't agree. Love you too. A July 2016 Pew survey revealed that a majority of Christian who say they will vote for Trump don't really want to and are only voting Trump to prevent Hilary from getting elected. I've heard the same complaint from acquaintances who support him.

PS: I am very opposed to broad brushed devaluing of groups based on gender, ethnicity/race, sexual orientation, or religion (unless it's a destructive cult).

I don't know if the link will work but you can always google the July 2016 Pew survey.

[www.christianitytoday.com]

pbxguy: I appreciated your comments and the comparison you made in your post about the care and sensitivity required in supporting members who might exit TLW.

FCSLC: Yes, we were robbed, screwed, and left to fend for ourselves. Hopefully, it can be better for members who might exit in the future.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 01, 2016 12:05PM

Good discussion going on here...processing what you guys are writing.
Meanwhile, just keep in mind...there are always places on the planet where not paying attention to the leader has even more dire consequences than what you might face in TLWF.
An example:

TheHill.com:
North Korea had a top government official executed last month for having “bad sitting posture” that made it appear he fell asleep during a meeting, according to South Korea.

Kim Yong Jin, a vice premier for education, appeared to fall asleep during a meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to Foreign Policy.

“Kim Yong Jin was denounced for his bad sitting posture when he was sitting below the rostrum,” a South Korean Unification Ministry spokesperson reportedly said.

Yong Jin was then accused of being an “anti-party, anti-revolutionary agitator” and executed by a firing squad.

Two other high ranking North Korean officials were disciplined through “reeducation programs,” which usually implies a trip to a labor camp, the report said."

[thehill.com]

Date: September 02, 2016 06:28AM

kBOY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HEADBANGER NEWS: Love God or Else
>
> "Love God Through Obedience To Him"

> August 31, 2016
>
> [www.livingwordpalmerlake.org]
> od-through-obedience-to-him/
>
> "The way we show God (TLW
> leadership)
we love him (TLW
> leadership)
is by being obedient to Him
> (TLW leadership)."
>
> "God (TLW leadership) simply wants
> us to listen to Him (TLW
> leadership)
."
>
> "As much as we don't like to admit it (at
> least publicly)
, we are always curious as
> to what we will get out of this (like ruling
> and reigning over every godforsaken
> soul?)
."
>
> "There is peace, joy and comfort that will come to
> God's family in doing His (TLW
> leadership's)
will."
>
> Yippeecayee.

God sounds as though he has intractable issues that humanity can not help him with. I almost feel pity for him. Are you sure this is not just Gary saying what he thinks God is going through, when in fact, it only applies to himself? Is he sensing a resistance in the fellowship, and fearing he is losing control?

God help those who have innocently served all these years and have been subjected to this unending torment--not able to envision any other life for themselves. I could not care less about the leadership. They must know the harm they have inflicted, while they feast on the sacrifice of others. They can't be that clueless.

Date: September 02, 2016 08:10AM

larry bobo Wrote:

> Man cult leaders become mom and dad to their
> followers, prolonging or completely stopping the
> maturity process. I’ve said in previous posts
> that I matured more in the two years after leaving
> TLWF than in the previous twenty in TLWF, because
> I was finally making decisions for myself as an
> adult. It was scary at first – but so fruitful
> and rewarding.

Yes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.