Re: IMPACT Trainings
Posted by: Espiritu ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:58AM

Former - great points, all around. As a professional therapist myself, it's pretty disturbing to think that this avenue of the LGAT experience would be one's first choice when it comes to overcoming emotional issues. I honestly believe that there's enough information out there about therapy, in general. The bottom line warning for anyone to heed is: YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMEONE TO REVEAL SECRET INFORMATION ABOUT YOU. IF YOU HAVE SEVERE EMOTIONAL ISSUES --- GO TO THERAPY!! Family members are biased and typically enmeshed in the dysfunction - so, their recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt.

I also feel that people who have a mental illness or severe emotional problems need to get educated about what treatment is best for them.

That being said, when I attended I was about 23 yrs old. My marriage was tough. I had codependent issues. I came from an alcoholic family. BUT I didn't have a mental illness. I went to Impact at my mom's recommendation. The processes I went through gave me some self-awareness about some anger I had been carrying around and also some worthiness issues. No one pressured me to recruit anyone. My husband never went through it. My sister never went through it. Neither were ostracized or looked down upon. I never really even thought about Impact much until I stumbled upon this thread. Based on what's been said about Impact in this thread...I find my story to be an impossibility. But, it's true.

I suspect that Impact has just gotten stronger and more corrupt over time. Impact and all LGATs should be held to the legal and ethical standards that therapists are - if they are going to be using therapeutic techniques. There should be disclosure on some level and screening (this would require THEM to take responsibility).

One way to end the whole LGAT phenomenon is to decrease demand for it...so many people seeking some kind of answer...etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Will Work for Training
Posted by: formerimpactgrad ()
Date: December 01, 2008 11:48PM

I had a good laugh last Friday when I passed by the Southtowne Mall on my way to I-15. I noticed 3 individuals walking back and forth along the curb just north of 106th South holding signs and a clear 1 gallon jug. Occasionally they would walk off the curb and cars would be forced to slow down or swerve slightly. The individuals in question seemed oblivious to their effect on the traffic but to be fair they only left the curb when it looked like traffic would have to stop at the nearby intersection.

Unlike the homeless people I am accustomed to seeing at this particular intersection these 3 people were dressed relatively nicely. The two men wore button up shirts and ties and the girl had styled hair and stylish glasses. They were laughing and seemed to be having fun with the exception of the man with the shaved head who appeared to be the only member of the group who noticed that no one was giving them any spare change.

When I pulled up next to them and read their signs I finally understood the whole strange scene. "Creating Funds for the Impact Trainings" was written on the two large pieces of poster board as well as the one gallon jug that at one time probably held anti-freeze. I made sure to give the group a thumbs down as I passed by and since I was forced to stop as the nearby intersection I took the opportunity to look at their collection jug which thankfully appeared to be empty (or at least filled with an insignificant amount).

I'm not sure why the Impacters thought begging was their best option for fund raising. It seems like their purpose could have been achieved much more quickly if they simply went and got temp jobs but maybe that's just my egomind at work (*laughing at my own sarcasm*).

Regardless I wanted to take the opportunity to pass this information on to the rest of the forum. I bought a dozen eggs over the weekend with the intention of "donating" them to the Impacters if I happened to see them by the side of the road again this holiday season. Let's all hope that the spirit of the season blesses me and allows my charitable donation to be made at a high speed with a great degree of accuracy!

Happy Holidays!

FormerImpact

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 11:51PM by formerimpactgrad.

Re: Will Work for Training
Posted by: jk.genesis ()
Date: December 02, 2008 12:34AM

LOL, FormerImpact. "Oblivious" is an accurate word to describe these people. Will always feel torn between the urge to laugh at the insane silliness, anger at the charlatans who inspire it, and a mixture of sadness and anger for the Impacted sheeples' stubborn refusal to see the fact that the emperor they want to think is beautifully clothed is actually walking around naked. I guess when a person has for several years completely bought into the idea that s/he can create her/his own reality, truth for them becomes a matter of subjective preference rather than something objectively quantifiable and reliable.

*sigh*

Perhaps a few well-aimed charitable donations would inspire the realization that certain objective realities do exist. Here's hoping.

jk

Posted by: Inshock ()
Date: December 05, 2008 03:50AM

Hello to all,
It has been awhile since I've posted and all the time that has passed is something that I have needed to help my husband find his calm. I love all the posts especially formerimpactgrads idea of donating some eggs to the impacters taking over a bumm's corner. I recently recieved an impact newspaper proclaiming how they led gang members to a candle light viggle and that they (impact) was having an open forum for all to come experience the power (puke, gag, snort, ahh) of impact's message on Jan 3. My question is, how can an unverisity condone a cult to activiely recurit out of there campus? You would think some one in that Unvertisity would do there research. After all that is the first foundation to a good education, research. It sickens me that even our Unversity's have sold out to Impact. This disgusts me, because Impact likes to pray on the weak. What's more weak than a young mind that can be eaisly swayed to believe Impacts garbage? What's more weak than Gang members who have been broken through their life experiences and simply do not know any better and are now only being brouhgt into an even worse gang of thugs, Hans incorperated (Impact). I myself will not sit by and accept this. I chose to fight with my words. I have called the Unversity and told them how I feel about their decision to let Impact on their campus. I have left e-mails with there president and I'm sure it has fallen apon deaf ears. No matter its time to fight back with words and civil disobedience. My husband has soom ideas, but it will take an army to effect and shut down impact. No matter your position you should call the Unversity of Utah and tell them how you feel and your experiences with Impact. We are not damaged goods and together we are all stronger and an army using words is just as effective as guns, more so. That's what makes this forum so beautiful the power of truth. Thanks to you all for being so brave for writing what you have written. Thanks for liberating me to think outside of the box and empower my husband to move, but more importantly to take a stand.

Espiritu, I have a question for you. You say that your a certified professional therapist. So how many people seeking your therapy have you sent to Imact? If you told me none, I would not believe you, based on what you have written on this forum. To me it looks like we have a wolf in sheeps clothing in our midst (Espiritu) another Otter tring to keep Impacts Jargon alive and take away from all that has been written. Since you are a professional therapist you think what you have to say matters more than any one else's words on this forum. Are you more important than anyone else on this forum? I think not and your words not only anger me but they are disgusting tring to hide your true agenda through your education makes you no better than Hans. And untill you have almost lost a family member or have lost a family member, friend, or even a neighbor you have no right to push your therapukkitic agenda! Enjoy your day and think before you write anymore of your proffesional certified bull shit!

Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: December 05, 2008 05:18AM

Like Inshock, I have wondered about the agenda of Espiritu being partially hidden. I get the sense that Espiritu would find some good in Impact, like the rape victum that credits the rapist with wearing nice after shave lotion. Also the point on the U of U hosting Impact Trainings is well taken. They are a state university and that makes a big difference. They annually host, in the very building where All Grads Day will be held, a big conference on alcoholism, with much literature on Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon etc. What I would like to see is some pressure put on U of U to host a conference on LGAT-Anon type topics. I see a strong parallel between substance addiction and LGAT addiction and therefore a potential to combat the destructive effects of Impact with an Impact-Anon type organization. The sword of academic freedom should work both ways, and maybe this is all for the best.

Posted by: Inshock ()
Date: December 05, 2008 07:46AM

Hello all,
I forgot to leave the numbers to U of U. The Presidents name Michael K Young e-mail President@Utah.edu phone numbers 801-581-5701 Fax numbers 801-581-6892 These are general numbers but will still get the message through. Everyone counts so call or write, just give them some hell! Hopeful Soul thanks for your quick comments that is very good information and I hope you follow up on that LGAT-ANON what a concept. I would attend thanks again and have a hope filled day!

Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: December 06, 2008 12:15AM

Holding All Grads day at the U. of Utah is a huge risk for Impact. Impact would have surely preferred to hold it at BYU, but you can imagine the reception they would get there. I predict that critical thinking students and professors will not provide a hospitable environment for Impact doctrine. Impact will be caught in a catch-22. If they tone down their deceptive, coercive, mind-bending processes the in-tune Impact grads will not like it; and if they put on their usual B.S., the invited guests and curious academics will see through it.

As Thoreau said in Walden, "There is no odor so bad as that which arises from goodness tainted. It is human, it is divine, carrion." Attempting to draw near to philanthropic work in Africa, war refugees, peace activism, and higher education will not mask the Impact Trainings odor.

Date: December 06, 2008 12:16AM

Inshock

Espiritu, I have a question for you. You say that your a certified professional therapist. So how many people seeking your therapy have you sent to Imact? If you told me none, I would not believe you, based on what you have written on this forum. To me it looks like we have a wolf in sheeps clothing in our midst (Espiritu) another Otter tring to keep Impacts Jargon alive and take away from all that has been written. Since you are a professional therapist you think what you have to say matters more than any one else's words on this forum. Are you more important than anyone else on this forum? I think not and your words not only anger me but they are disgusting tring to hide your true agenda through your education makes you no better than Hans. And untill you have almost lost a family member or have lost a family member, friend, or even a neighbor you have no right to push your therapukkitic agenda! Enjoy your day and think before you write anymore of your proffesional certified bull shit!

To answer your question - I have never referred anyone to Impact. I think it's pretty funny, by the way, how easily you read your own agenda into words that I never said - and omit any kind of logical conclusions based on things I have actually said. My last interaction with Impact was over 15 years ago, so (for the fifth time) I have not even *thought* about them until I came across this thread. I adhere to a code of ethics that would prevent me from ever recommending/referring a client to deal with their personal or emotional issues by going and paying a group of money-motivated, non professionals using therapuetic techniques for their own personal gain. I don't believe that anything that has "worked" for me would automatically "work" for a client. We all wear different shoes, so I would never presume to tell a client of mine to walk in mine and everything will be resolved. That's very offensive to me.

I am also really confused about when I ever claimed to be "more important" than anyone on this forum? Because my situation, and opinions about this whole topic differ from yours, you accuse me of having some secret agenda. Well, I can't control what you're going to presume about me. I just wish that you would back up some of your fairly cruel accusations with something other than spite and anger.

Date: December 06, 2008 12:22AM

Hopeful Soul
Like Inshock, I have wondered about the agenda of Espiritu being partially hidden. I get the sense that Espiritu would find some good in Impact, like the rape victum that credits the rapist with wearing nice after shave lotion. Also the point on the U of U hosting Impact Trainings is well taken. They are a state university and that makes a big difference. They annually host, in the very building where All Grads Day will be held, a big conference on alcoholism, with much literature on Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon etc. What I would like to see is some pressure put on U of U to host a conference on LGAT-Anon type topics. I see a strong parallel between substance addiction and LGAT addiction and therefore a potential to combat the destructive effects of Impact with an Impact-Anon type organization. The sword of academic freedom should work both ways, and maybe this is all for the best.

Well, the moderator can check my IP address. I am not here with a hidden agenda. I just happen to have a counterpoint to some of the things that are discussed here. I can't really "win" - regardless of whether I empathize with your stories or share mine.

Are there a lot of things that Impact preaches that I happen to believe in (like...everything happens for a reason? and that people create their own reality?) Well, yes. But, I am pretty sure IMPACT DID NOT INVENT THAT IDEA - And there happen to be many people who have never heard of impact that also buy into "Impact jargon". Ugh.

The whole rapist comment is pretty cruel, but I guess I shouldn't expect any kind of arguments to be made here without personal attacks. That's too bad.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 06, 2008 12:28AM

Espiritu:

What is your point here?

Impact has apparently hurt many people, some have posted here.

It seems like you are here to defend Impact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.