Re: Turning Point Church World Outreach Center-Tell Your Story
Posted by: Saddened ()
Date: September 17, 2010 07:10AM

You are right on about the bad theology UndeniablyLivid. A point that has not gone unnoticed by other clergy in Marysville. I was surprised when I heard someone support our views about the bad theology only that person called TPC doctrine heresy. I felt vindicated.

Saddened

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 17, 2010 02:07PM

Saddened
You are right on about the bad theology UndeniablyLivid. A point that has not gone unnoticed by other clergy in Marysville. I was surprised when I heard someone support our views about the bad theology only that person called TPC doctrine heresy. I felt vindicated.

Saddened
Unfortunately it appears that the questionable teachings and associations continue. Time will tell...

Date: September 18, 2010 01:12AM

I now think of turning point being like a sick friend, and like a sick friend once I had made them aware of their sickness, I wouldn’t punish them for being sick. I would encourage them in their recovery; I would pray for their quick healing and patiently wait for their full recovery. I would do whatever I could to ease their pain in the recovery, not inflict more on them. I believe that the disease has left turning point, but it caused great devastation, which will take time to heal, but it will heal, I also believe that the same disease that afflicted turning point , has afflicted many who have left and some who post on here. Though there are some on here who have their own agenda, and some who probably love seeing us Christians stumble, and be at each others throats, I just think about how Jesus forgave those who afflicted Him, didn’t call for vindication, and didn’t even make us accept the truth about Him. Yet the truth was revealed. I hope and believe that this forum on turning point church is soon to be obsolete. I believe that Jeff and Kim, and the elders of turning point are truly aware of the false teachings and practices, and do wish to change them. Can we give them a chance?

Posted by: buddy ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:12AM

I am in for giving them a chance. My 400 plus post have taken a toll. Not only on TPCWOC but on myself. I feel like its about time to move on. This kind of stuff wears you down. I hope and pray that they get there act together and I can get my act back together. The reason I left TPCWOC was because of false doctrine and felt betrayed by the leadership. The God who created the universe and parted the Red sea can surely help TPCWOC get back to sound doctrine and a healthy environment. The medicine for the sickness has been prescribed by many a posters on the forum. I pray and hope that the whole body becomes healthy. God can now do his part and bring the healing that we all need!

Posted by: Miki ()
Date: September 19, 2010 03:31AM

nooneofanyimportence
I now think of turning point being like a sick friend, and like a sick friend once I had made them aware of their sickness, I wouldn’t punish them for being sick. I would encourage them in their recovery; I would pray for their quick healing and patiently wait for their full recovery. I would do whatever I could to ease their pain in the recovery, not inflict more on them. I believe that the disease has left turning point, but it caused great devastation, which will take time to heal, but it will heal, I also believe that the same disease that afflicted turning point , has afflicted many who have left and some who post on here. Though there are some on here who have their own agenda, and some who probably love seeing us Christians stumble, and be at each others throats, I just think about how Jesus forgave those who afflicted Him, didn’t call for vindication, and didn’t even make us accept the truth about Him. Yet the truth was revealed. I hope and believe that this forum on turning point church is soon to be obsolete. I believe that Jeff and Kim, and the elders of turning point are truly aware of the false teachings and practices, and do wish to change them. Can we give them a chance?

Amen for this!

Date: September 19, 2010 05:36AM

I think its worth comparing TPCs "reconciliation" letter with letters from other leaders who engaged in spiritual abuse.
First is a copy of Jeff's Letter. It is then followed by another letter from another church leader at a different church. Your thoughts and insights are welcomed

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am writing this letter on behalf of myself and the elders of Turning Point Church. The
purpose of this letter is to make right some wrong actions and attitudes that may have
impacted you. It is with a heavy heart that we speak of these failures, and ask for your
grace and forgiveness as we work to heal and address these issues and continue in the good
work that God has for Marysville.

While God has done many amazing things at Turning Point Church over the years, this
letter will be focusing on areas for which repentance is necessary. We write as ones who
have also been hurt, part of the problem, and now seek to be a part of God’s solution and
redemption.

One of the things we are learning is that over the years there was a spirit of fear and
intimidation that took us to places we did not want to go. Looking back we wish we would
have functioned in a greater awareness of what was taking place.

We have also come to realize that a spirit of control led to an overly authoritative
environment. This has hurt individuals at TPC, our reputation in the community, and our
ability to serve Jesus well within His kingdom. For this our hearts are grieved and we are
examining our doctrine closely to ensure this does not happen in the future.

We are thankful for Jackie Singer’s many years of faithful service at Turning Point Church
and how she touched many lives. Looking back, we regret how we handled things with her
and her family. We have put into motion meetings with Jackie and our leadership to help
bring clarity and understanding to what took place. Our deepest desire is for a restorative
redemptive process so that we may worship together anywhere in Jesus name.

We are working with a leadership consultant who is helping us walk through these issues.
We ask for your grace, as it will take focused time and much prayer. We are humbly looking
to God for complete restoration and the sacred opportunity to rebuild His church according
to His plan. It is our desire that this letter will encourage your own healing if you have been
impacted. We pray that God will use this for his glory in the future and that we would learn
from our mistakes and not return to the bondages of the past.

In Christ’s love,
Senior Pastor Jeff Barnes and the Elders of Turning Point Church

And now a letter from Brad, a former leader in an abusive church:

Storms reveal the god we serve. My god was clearly people;
specifically pastors and leaders I served in my mid and late 20s.

But, really…it came down to ME.

As a young man learning what it was to be a husband and minister, I was more often scared than confident.
When it came to confronting what I knew to be right and wrong in people’s lives…
rather than speaking up on their behalf or asking ”why should they be told that?” or “handled that way?”
I buckled under pressure…the pressure to make my leaders happy. Several times I worked so hard to stifle
the Lord’s proverbial “jab to the ribs” that came in form of a racing heart beat or feeling as though I knew what
I was being asked to do or say was wrong.

Rather than “question my spiritual authority” I simply obeyed. In those instances and times when I had
the chance to be a voice for the voiceless…I didn’t do it…I didn’t speak up for them. Instead, I convinced myself
that I was wrong and prayed so hard for the Lord to rid me of my rebellious nature. Yet, the desire to say
something or take a stand kept trying to show itself against the leaders in my life.
The people who convinced me that they ”knew best.”

So the storms came. I don’t mean the outright one’s that others can perceive.
The storms I speak of are the ones hurled at us from inside that FEEL as if everyone is noticing.
Your sitting in a room with dominate men who “know” their place and yours… and everyone else’s.
“This is what you need to do…”, or ”You take all her responsibilities from her and have her meet with
someone until we say she’s ready.” and the favorite ”Kick… his… butt, man of God.”
Inside me the wind would blow, and the ship that was my convictions would begin to toss.
I would begin the minds struggle…”If I say anything, question any of those I risk looking like a weak man
and minister. I risk ridicule,punishment or removal. But if I don’t say anything, these people, these friends,
these brothers and sisters get…tossed. “

And I would always choose…ME.

It’s been a process, but the “ship” has become stable in those storms since then.
It helps having the Lord in His rightful place and people who realize my weakness and stand to strengthen me.

As I’ve recounted those years and the friends I had the privilege to walk with as a mentor and even a peer,
my heart has hurt. I did wrong to many of you. If you read this and are one of these “under” my direction in
those years, I am so sorry for how I handled you. I was selfish and serving the wrong master. I took orders
and followed them to lead you even when I knew the way to be hurtful and wrong,
and sometimes I was just hurtful and wrong. In the personal tossing, you got tossed.

Together…Jana and I have no words to mend the past, but we do offer you our sincere apology.
We had no right to be dictators in your life. We repent and ask you to forgive us…we repent and want you to know something.
The representation of God’s heart shown to you during that time was wrong…because we were wrong.

So, whatever the storm may be in your life…whatever waves may crash against the wall of your soul…please know this…YOU ARE LOVED.

Posted by: buddy ()
Date: September 19, 2010 07:57AM

My thoughts, insight on the letters is that there is no comparision. Evidentally Jeff's consultant taught him how to say he's sorry without really saying he is sorry. I wish I could just let everything go, but I have a hard time with patience. I'm just afraid that since he can't just come out and say what false doctrines he's sorry for that maybe he's not really sorry and just trying to buy time. Of course, I could be wrong and actually hope that I am wrong. I would love nothing more than for TPC to be a healthy church and flourish.

Posted by: LearningPoint ()
Date: September 19, 2010 09:57AM

I'm reposting these, because I think despite our desires for things to suddenly (or even eventually) be different, this is the reality:

I am a person of faith and hope, but I'm also a realist.

Realistically, leopards can't change their spots.
Realistically, people don't change their character overnight.
I believe, however, that people can change. But usually--for the sake of helping us grow closer to Himself and teaching us important life lessons--God takes us through long processes that change us OVER TIME.

Has Jeff Barnes, during his time under Mike Villamor's leadership, demonstrated that he will compromise what is right and true in order to please people? Yes. Yes, he has. Time and again.

So right now, if he was faced with doing something wildly unpopular and difficult and ego crushing in order to remain in the truth and please God alone, do you think he would do it? Not many pastors would, but every one of them should, and every one of them who is not ready to do just that should resign his pulpit until he is ready to do such a thing. We need these kinds of true leaders right now. We need them desperately.

But that kind of character is hard to come by, and it doesn't come by hocus-pocus, emotionally whipped up self-proclaimed resolutions made in the heat of a worship service or a personal time with God. It comes by making one small right decision after another. It comes in the mundane, everyday decisions and choices that we so often count as insignificant in the course of a day. It comes, as it did for Moses, from things like spending years and years tending sheep in a faithful manner when nobody is around for miles and miles to see or hear or know what we're doing--but we're doing it with integrity anyway just because it's the right thing to do.

Does Jeff have this kind of character? Only God knows for sure, but the evidence available to us in recent memory should remind us not to hold our breath for any miraculous changes in the character of Turning Point. As long as man-pleasing lives in the leader's heart, it will flourish in the lives of the followers, as well, and while the personality of the church may change a bit, it's fatal flaws will live on.

The scriptures record that Jesus didn't entrust himself to any man, because he knew what was in man. We would be wise to do the same. It doesn't mean that we don't need to seek to be trustworthy people, but it does mean that we shouldn't invest our trust in men in a way that belongs only to God.

Pray that Jeff will become a worthy leader, but don't expect him to suddenly become something or someone he has never been yet.

Posted by: LearningPoint ()
Date: September 19, 2010 09:58AM

The only problem with the idea of giving folks chances when they are leading a whole flock of people is that leadership is not the right place for a learning curve on basic issues of character. Let Jeff and Kim devleop their character outside of the arena of leadership of a sizable congregation. Churches need proven leaders who know the difference between sound doctrine and false teaching. I know even the best leaders are flawed people, yes, but they ought not to be stumbling around in high levels of personal insecurity that render them incapable of doing what's right when they need to.

I'm not trying to bash Jeff and Kim. I'm just saying they're going to be chewed up and spit out by the pressures of leadership if they don't have the courage and conviction to walk in uncompromising truth (without authoritarianism) and the humility to be accountable to a REAL elder board as well as to the people for how they lead, including what they teach.

As a leader, if a pastor can't sort out what's wrong within himself and the church he's leading, if he needs to call in a professional consultant to do that, then he probably shouldn't be leading the church. Buddy was right--I think it was Buddy who said it--all Jeff needs to do is come on here and read to get all the clues he needs about where to begin making changes, but he's still under the impression that the people here are gossips and slanderers. He's still infected to the core with Mike Villamor's values and skewed perspectives on church body life. He may wish not to be, but he'll need a time of detox, serving in a healthy church before he'll ever know how to lead a church into a healthy existence. That's just the nature of how brainwashing works--you gotta be deprogrammed to see clearly again.

Date: September 20, 2010 12:41AM

The Lord's Prayer Words
(traditional)

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven

Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.

Amen.

Think about this in terms of what we have all been through and make your own choices. But remember, we will all be accountable to the Lord for our actions and our failures to act. I choose to do what the Lord would have me do. I will not risk my salvation.

D of D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.