Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: New Song City Central - Tacoma, WA
Posted by: newmama10 ()
Date: July 15, 2009 01:04PM

I also wanted to point out that the most hurtful thing was that the leadership, the Brennts included had consulted with my "discipler" because they thought I might have a drinking problem yet no one ever confronted me or anything, not even mentioned their concern when I went to them for help. In fact they allowed me to continue to minister and pressured me to do more. I feel as though they were not looking out for their flock, both by not helping me but also by allowing me to continue to be in those roles. I felt so betrayed that they only cared about themselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cgj ()
Date: July 15, 2009 11:37PM

Newmama10...I wish I could just give you a big hug. I am deeply sorry for what you've gone through, but at the same time so glad you've found help. As for church, I totally understand what you're feeling. I never quit going to church, partly because of my children and mostly because of the command of scripture. However, I found myself projecting all the negative feelings and reactions I had towards Mike and Cindy Riches and Brian and Christy Brennt (and others) onto ANY pastor for 2 or 3 years. It was a huge struggle, but it was good to go through as I now realize that just because people (including pastors/leaders) aren't perfect it doesn't mean that they will be spiritually abusive. Please find a church. It may take some time, but don't give up on your eternal family.

Myspace...both New Song and their "parent" Clover Creek have been fiscally shady in the past. That the Catalyst money is gone doesn't surprise me one bit.

Kona? Are they going into YWAM DTS, too?

cgj

Posted by: myspacethirdbase ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:55AM

Thank you for sharing your story, newmama! I can tell you've come a long way...and bet your'e going to go even further as you continue to make your life amazing and awesome without the alcohol.
Straight from daughter's mouth- Yes, Brennt's moved to Kona. She also said..as I suspected, "The Lord is calling them to Hawaii. That the church is going in a different direction and that Brian Brennt had some bad lung disease that was killing him in Tacoma and that he had to move." I asked, "Who's leading the church? Her reply, "noone really."
I am not going to speculate on that topic..I'm sure there is some type of leadership there in some form.
My prayer is this..that the truth come forth, that The Lord prevails, May the sin be revealed, May those inocent not hold back the real issues, that things won't be ignored, that when my daughter is uncomfortable she won't ignore it, that she'd be strong and not weak! ..and that she'd just come home. :)
Alissa wrote to me from City Central and said they meet corporately now on Monday evenings at Christian Brotherhood Academy. Their new and updated website will be up in mid-August and I am to look for clear directions and their statement of beleifs etc...it will be posted in about a month.

Date: July 16, 2009 05:03AM

Myspace...I knew Christy Brennt was sickly (has been for years), but I didn't know Brian was sick also. They haven't had a link to leadership on their website for quite a while so it's anyone's guess as to who's calling the shots.

Newmama...sounds like you were useful to them to meet thier own ends, so noone ever asked you to step down out of concern for your physical and spiritual health. Instead they just talked about you behind your back. Sadly, that was rampant at Clover Creek, too.

cgj

Date: July 16, 2009 08:41AM

Brian has been sick with many different things, but a lung disease that is killing him is something I had not heard about and I still have some contact with people in the church. For those of you there attended either church how did you ever get over your bitterness and feelings of distrust? I drove past where the office was, the church office and it is suddenly empty and for rent so that is interested.

Date: July 17, 2009 12:21AM

Newmama...it takes time to get over all those feelings. What my husband and I found was that we need to go through EVERYTHING we had been taught and subject it to Scripture. For weeks we searched the Bible for either confirmation or refute of any, and I mean ANY, teaching. We threw out any notes from prayer times and any handouts, even if the notes were from good friends who I trust. I had to start fresh. We talked about how we felt with others who had left (that's important...do talk about your experiences and feelings with someone, but make sure they do not attend New Song or Destiny or Crossing). The talking part was important because for all the years I was there we didn't talk about we really felt out of fear of the leadership. Malachi 3:16-18 helped. Read "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" by Johnson and Von Vonderen. Excellent book.

Going to church and meeting other followers of Christ who were outside of my little Clover/New Song bubble was wonderful. My idea of the family of God had been sooooo small. It was exhilerating to meet so many other believers! And pray for Brian Brennt and all the others. That's crucial.

I would love to say that by doing those things I was free of negative feelings just like that (snaps fingers). Nope. It's been just over 4 years and I have to say that *just now* I'm in a place where I don't want to drop-kick them. But God is good, God is faithful, and what He began in you He will indeed finish. I love that. Despite any setback, God has promised to finish a GOOD work in me.

cgj

Posted by: Simeon ()
Date: August 06, 2009 01:03AM

Don't give up on church. A church is just a group of people, all flawed, that gather together. I would suggest finding a church that has accountability to someone other than themselves. A good place to start is a demoninational church with Biblical foundations: ie Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist etc. These may seem a bit calm to some, because they don't outwardly practice some of the gifts of the Spirit, but because of their accountability they can be a safe place to start and get back on your feet.

A good church is willing to answer your questions without being defensive. A good church will understand your situation without condemnation. Don't be afraid or embarassed to share your story with the pastor of a new church.

Don't give up! Nurture your own relationship with God by reading your Bible. Don't worry about what version, just read. Don't let bitterness set in. Bitterness only hurts you. You WILL walk away stronger.

Posted by: d19s59j ()
Date: September 21, 2009 08:09AM

I've been aware of this church for some time as my wife and son visited occasionally awhile ago and I share many of the concerns expressed in this forum. Does anyone know why they split off from Destiny City Church? Interestingly, it appears that the Crossing is falling apart--apparently because of Kurt Snyder, Destiny's pastor. While I've never been enamored of the theology of these churches, I respect the Crossing's mission to the down and out and they have been very accepting of my "special needs" teenagers who attend there.

Date: September 23, 2009 12:02AM

Hey d19s59j...I don't know. I heard some things here and there, but really it's anyone's guess since they're all so secretive. I do know that New Song went it's own way while Mike Riches was still the pastor of Destiny (before Kurt Snyder took over). New Song is no longer a "church" per se, but some kind of para-church group.

Based on some random comments I'd heard from friends I figured something was not-so-great at The Crossing, but I didn't have any particulars. I respect The Crossing's outreach, too, but that's because of the volunteers who run it, not because of the pastors/leaders.

cgj

Date: September 29, 2009 10:51AM

Brian Brennt and Mike Riches had a falling out of sorts according to a source I have very close to the situation. The leadership would never admit it though. New Song, or City Central as it is now known seems to be falling apart as well. From what I hear, and I still hear a lot as I have many friends who still go there (sometimes I wonder why I stay in contact with people who shunned me but that is another issue)...and it seems all the leadership is moving on to other things they are called to. The church keeps moving and has no building and from what I seem to hear no real leadership either. It is too bad about the crossing, I have always felt they had a great mission and tried to do great things. I don't know anything about the leadership there as it has been a while since I have been involved. I do know that I am starting to wonder how much longer City Central itself will even be around at the rate it is going, I just have to wonder how it is surviving at all at this point.

Current Page: 10 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.