Current Page: 13 of 16
Re: "Doubts about the Dalai Lama"/
Posted by: Penelope ()
Date: June 27, 2011 10:58AM

grainne uaile,
Just yesterday I was reading about Kalacakra and was shocked at the subtle and not-so-subtle misogyny in these ideas. I also came across a great article on the Dali Lahma by Christopher Hitchens written in 1998 that's worth a read:

His Material Highness

FAR FROM HIS HOLIER-THAN-ALL IMAGE, THE DALAI LAMA SUPPORTS SUCH QUESTIONABLE CAUSES AS INDIA'S NUCLEAR TESTING, SEX WITH PROSTITUTES AND ACCEPTING DONATIONS FROM A JAPANESE TERRORIST CULT.

BY CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS | The Dalai Lama has come out in support of the thermonuclear tests recently conducted by the Indian state, and has done so in the very language of the chauvinist parties who now control that state's affairs. The "developed" countries, he says, must realize that India is a major contender and should not concern themselves with its internal affairs. This is a perfectly realpolitik statement, so crass and banal and opportunist that it would not deserve any comment if it came from another source.

"Think different," says the ungrammatical Apple Computer advertisement that features the serene visage of His Holiness. Among the untested assumptions of this billboard campaign is the widely and lazily held belief that "Oriental" religion is different from other faiths: less dogmatic, more contemplative, more ... transcendental. This blissful, thoughtless exceptionalism has been conveyed to the West through a succession of mediums and narratives, ranging from the pulp novel "Lost Horizon," by James Hilton (creator of Mr. Chips as well as Shangri-La), to the memoir "Seven Years in Tibet," by SS veteran Heinrich Harrer, prettified for the screen by Brad Pitt. China's foul conduct in an occupied land, combined with a Hollywood cult that almost exceeds the power of Scientology, has fused with weightless Maharishi and Bhagwan-type babble to create an image of an idealized Tibet and of a saintly god-king. So perhaps the Apple injunction to think differently is worth heeding.

The greatest triumph that modern PR can offer is the transcendent success of having your words and actions judged by your reputation, rather than the other way about. The "spiritual leader" of Tibet has enjoyed this unassailable status for some time now, becoming a byword and synonym for saintly and ethereal values. Why this doesn't put people on their guard I'll never know. But here are some other facts about the serene leader that, dwarfed as they are by his endorsement of nuclear weapons, are still worth knowing and still generally unknown.

Shoko Asahara, leader of the Supreme Truth cult in Japan and spreader of sarin nerve gas on the Tokyo subway, donated 45 million rupees, or about 170 million yen (about $1.2 million), to the Dalai Lama and was rewarded for his efforts by several high-level meetings with the divine one.

Steven Seagal, the robotic and moronic "actor" who gave us "Hard to Kill" and "Under Siege," has been proclaimed a reincarnated lama and a sacred vessel or "tulku" of Tibetan Buddhism. This decision, ratified by Penor Rinpoche, supreme head of the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism, was initially received with incredulity by Richard Gere, who had hitherto believed himself to be the superstar most favored. "If someone's a tulku, that's great," he was quoted as saying. "But no one knows if that's true." How insightful, if only accidentally. At a subsequent Los Angeles appearance by the Dalai Lama, Seagal was seated in the front row and Gere two rows back, thus giving the latter's humility and submissiveness a day at the races. Suggestions that Seagal's fortune helped elevate him to the Himalayan status of tulku are not completely discounted even by some adepts and initiates.

Supporters of the Dorge Shugden deity -- a "Dharma protector" and an ancient object of worship and propitiation in Tibet -- have been threatened with violence and ostracism and even death following the Dalai Lama's abrupt prohibition of this once-venerated godhead. A Swiss television documentary graphically intercuts footage of His Holiness, denying all knowledge of menace and intimidation, with scenes of his followers' enthusiastically promulgating "Wanted" posters and other paraphernalia of excommunication and persecution.

While he denies being a Buddhist "Pope," the Dalai Lama is never happier than when brooding in a celibate manner on the sex lives of people he has never met. "Sexual misconduct for men and women consists of oral and anal sex," he has repeatedly said in promoting his book on these matters. "Using one's hand, that is sexual misconduct." But, as ever with religious stipulations, there is a nutty escape clause. "To have sexual relations with a prostitute paid by you and not by a third person does not constitute improper behavior." Not all of this can have been said just to placate Richard Gere, or to attract the royalties from "Pretty Woman."

I have talked to a few Dorge Shugden adherents, who seem sincere enough and who certainly seem frightened enough, but I can't go along with their insistence on the "irony" of all this. Buddhism can be as hysterical and sanguinary as any other system that relies on faith and tribe. Lon Nol's Cambodian army was Buddhist at least in name. Solomon Bandaranaike, first elected leader of independent Sri Lanka, was assassinated by a Buddhist militant. It was Buddhist-led pogroms against the Tamils that opened the long and disastrous communal war that ruins Sri Lanka to this day. The gorgeously named SLORC, the military fascism that runs Burma, does so nominally as a Buddhist junta. I have even heard it whispered that in old Tibet, that pristine and contemplative land, the lamas were the allies of feudalism and unsmilingly inflicted medieval punishments such as blinding and flogging unto death.

Yet the entire Western mass media is uncritically at the service of a mere mortal who, at the very least, proclaims the utter nonsense of reincarnation and who affirms the sinister if not indeed crazy belief that death is but a stage in a grand cycle of what appears to be futility and subjection. What need, then, to worry about nuclear weaponry, or sectarian frenzy, or the sale of indulgences to men of the stamp of Steven Seagal? "Harmony" will doubtless kick in. During his visit to Beijing, our sentimental Baptist hypocrite of a president turned to his dictator host, recommended that he meet with the Dalai Lama and assured him that the two of them would get on well. That might easily turn out to be the case. Both are very much creatures of the material world.
SALON | July 13, 1998

Christopher Hitchens, a columnist for Vanity Fair, is a regular contributor to Salon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grainne uaile ()
Date: June 27, 2011 07:35PM

Thanks for that article. When I first joined Tibetan Buddhism a year ago, I began emailing a Tibetan Buddhist from a forum I was on. He was getting ready to take the highest tantras and had a partner. I remember then thinking that this was not what Buddhism should be about, but I didn't know my own teacher taught it. I learned about Shugden from this guy and mentioned it to my teacher who said to forget about the Dalai Lama, and he also said that one should never put down any lama or guru because it was bad karma since you could not really know whether you were doing it out of resentment or helping others. So I took down my blog and lost a lot of material in the process. Now I believe that lamas and gurus always tell you to go away "quietly" as they did in the Vedanta Society, because they don't want you talking against them. And I remember the Dalai Lama saying that we should expose wrong doing. I find it interesting that he says things like this and then does wrong. But it seems to me that this is just a smoke screen to make people think he does no wrong. And it works.

Well, a month ago I was trying to learn about Tantric practices and so was talking about it on a Tibetan Buddhist forum. It wasn't long before I was banned. In the meantime a lot of posts and threads were deleted or locked. The only thing I got out of them is, yes, it is about sex, and yes, when you are higher up you can drink alcohol, urine, and feces. That may have been deleted because I couldn't find it later. Only the men on this forum spent the time to post. Why not the women? I went on a Theravada forum and got no where. They had one locked Tantra thread. Then I went on a Zen forum, and they tried to help me but knew so little about tantra and were so careful to not say anything bad about it. What is this that Buddhists will not expose Tibetan Buddhism but tolerate it instead? How are people going to find out about this? No one thinks to come here. I didn't; I had to be reminded of Rick Ross forum.

I swear I get into more messes with religion, so much so that I think I will just stay away from all of them. All the way from the Jehovah's Witnesses to the happy guru system on Hinduism, now to this. If there is such a thing as karma I have bad religion karma.

The most honest person was Stephen Batchelor who emailed me and answered my questions, then said I could talk about what he said to others. It wasn't much, but I knew he had been a student of the Dalai Lama and had left, and I knew he was an atheist Buddhist. And I wrote to him when my teacher said that it wasn't about sex.

Here is what he wrote: Dear (name removed),

I’ve not read the whole of the Trimondi book – it was written in German years ago, but never published in English. No one I know takes it seriously. However, all higher yoga tantras, including the Kalachakra, contain sexual practices, but these are only supposed to be undertaken after years of training. But, of course, some teachers use them as a justification to gain sexual favours from students. So be careful.

I had never heard of the New Jonang group until you mentioned it.

Warmly, Stephen

And this:

Dear (name removed),

I suppose it is possible that your teacher might have learned about sexual practices of the Kalachakra from the Dalai Lama - I also received some instructions from one of his tutors on these matters, but it was never expected that I would put them into practice - just necessary as part of receiving the complete transmission of that lineage. I hope all goes well for you in your post Tibetan Buddhist future,

With warm wishes, Stephen

And yes, all of the Tibetan Buddhists will tell you that the Trimondis are wrong, that they take things of out context, and so I got the one book and ordered another that they quoted from, and they are completely correct. I even showed my teacher an article, [sacred-sex.org] where the Dalai Lama is talking about seminal retention, and my teacher said that it was a New Age website, so don't believe it. I found it on Berzin, and he put them down. Just like all Tibetan Buddhist, they tell you that you can't believe what you are reading, that they are all wrong. That is when I finally said that I have the kalachakra tantra and goodbye, and he wrote back, yes it is best for me to go. And so on the boards you have to fight over these things because TBs will tell you that you just don't understand it. What is there to understand? I took Kriya Yoga in SRF, and they teach you to visualize energy going up the spine, and all tantra is doing is adding sex with it. But as my teacher said, Westerners will think it is about sex, and it isn't about sex. Gee, are we that dumb to believe that it isn't? And when I complain of abuse in religions, he said that we should not concern ourselves with it because it is their karma to come together in an abusive situation. So if a child is being used, given candy, or even alcohol in Tibet for sex ritual, it is the child's fault. If a woman is raped by a lama, it is her fault, her karma. Just don't worry about it. This is too sick for me. I always remember the scripture in the Bible, "Am I my brother's keeper?" And yes, we should all be our brother's keeper.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 27, 2011 09:19PM

I learned about Shugden from this guy and mentioned it to my teacher who said to forget about the Dalai Lama, and he also said that one should never put down any lama or guru because it was bad karma since you could not really know whether you were doing it out of resentment or helping others.

This is a highly convenient way to tweak right speech teachings in such a way as to deflect valid concerns and protect powerholders from scrutiny.

I dont buy the Trimondi book.

And I confess I am not interested in tantra muddle in Buddharma and have no teaching credential nor do I want one.

Try this in relation to your practice and see whether any of it supports your practice or does not.

The Vajrayana and its high teachers are where the Roman Catholic Church was, pre-Vatican II.

Little or no scrutiny from those outside the power structure.

These days, the Pontiff and the Vatican bureaucracy face intense challenge and media scrutiny concerning use and abuse of power and its culture of secrecy and protection of abusive clergy.

But with few exceptions, no one has demanded the same accountability from the Vajrayana bureaucracy. Instead, they'll use the standard dodge that its bad karma to criticize and no one really can know how much resentment one hold, so its better to keep quiet.

Friends, if one has been harmed, you bet you're going to have inner turmoil. Your own body has an automatic fight flight response if at gut level you sense your own boundaries have been violated. Telling someone they have to be free from resentment before they have a right to lodge a complaint is like saying you have no right to go to the dentist for a tooth ache until you stop wanting the pain to stop.

Here is a basic guideline one can use.

Is this a matter of confidentiality or secrecy?

Confidentiality can be renegotiated or withdrawn if it turns out that someone is planning to harm someone else or actually has begun a harmful course of action.

Confidentiality is negotiated between social equals and can be re-negotiated at any time. Confidentiality, such as what therapists and attorneys and accountants are bound to, is not just for their benefit, but for all their clients. Yet--there are limits to confidentiality. If a professional has evidence that someone is committing a crime or planning to do something that means danger to others, that professional is bound to report the problem. Confidentiality ends when the safety of others is threatened, even those others are humble people in society.

Secrecy is used to protect power structures and often, secrecy is imposed by powerholders onto underlings and it cannot be renegotiated. Secrecy is put in place precisely when powerholders fear exposure to outside scrutiny. Otherwise, they'd be content with confidentiality, not impose eternal vows of secrecy

In the beginning, Buddha taught only this--the reality of suffering and the ways to end suffering. He didnt set up a network of secrecy. In the Mahaparinibbana sutra, when he was dying, he stated that he had held nothing back. He asked his students if they had any unsolved questions. None did. Then he died.

Buddha didnt impose any vows or obligations. He taught only practices that aimed to bring insight into the origin of suffering and that applied methods of insight and concentration that would end suffering. And he offered a variety of methods to suit the needs of each student.

One had no binding obligation after his death. He told people to practice for themselves, not venerate him.

Another way to get out of the trap.

Rather than emphasize Buddha Nature, use the Buddhist basics--The Four Noble Truths.

Ask whether the situation that troubles you is a situation that is generating suffering or looks capable of assisting others to gain insight into and end suffering. (some translate suffering as turmoil, stress, conditions that hamper ability to practice)

Another method--the Brahmaviharas.

Does the situation you are in support these or hinder these?

An oppressive secret takes energy to maintain. That is energy subtracted from your practice.

Thus the Brahma Vihàras are not emotions one occasionally feels but those that one ‘lives in’ and ‘lives by’ all the time.

These four Brahma Vihàras are loving-kindness, compassion, (vicarious) sympathetic joy, and equanimity.

Date: June 28, 2011 09:51PM

From the Pali Canon--a way to evaluate the Vajrayana predicament.

No Strings Attached
The Buddha's Culture of Generosity
by Thanissaro Bhikkhu Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 5 June 2010,

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

This entire essay is well worth the time.

But here, to elicit interest, are a few excerpts.

This is why the Buddha adopted dana (generosity)as the context for practicing and teaching the Dhamma. But — to maintain the twin principles of freedom and fruitfulness in giving — he created a culture of dana that embodied particularly Buddhist ideals. To begin with, he defined dana not simply as material gifts. The practice of the precepts, he said, was also a type of dana — the gift of universal safety, protecting all beings from the harm of one's unskillful actions — as was the act of teaching the Dhamma.

This meant that lavish giving was not just the prerogative of the rich.

Secondly, he formulated a code of conduct to produce an attitude toward giving that would benefit both the donors and the recipients, keeping the practice of giving both fruitful and free.

We tend not to associate codes of conduct with the word “freedom,” but that's because we forget that freedom, too, needs protection, especially from the attitude that wants to be free in its choices but feels insecure when others are free in theirs. The Buddha's codes of conduct are voluntary — he never coerced anyone into practicing his teachings — but once they are adopted, they require the cooperation of both sides to keep them effective and strong.

These codes are best understood in terms of the six factors that the Buddha said exemplified the ideal gift:

“The donor, before giving, is glad; while giving, his/her mind is inspired; and after giving, is gratified. These are the three factors of the donor…

“The recipients are free of passion or are practicing for the subduing of passion; free of aversion or practicing for the subduing of aversion; and free of delusion or practicing for the subduing of delusion. These are the three factors of the recipients.”

— AN 6.37

Although this passage seems to suggest that each side is responsible only for the factors on its side, the Buddha's larger etiquette for generosity shows that the responsibility for all six factors — and in particular, the three factors of the donor — is shared. And this shared responsibility flourishes best in an atmosphere of mutual trust.

Finally, remember again that when dying, according to the earlier teachings, Buddha stated he had taught all that was needed for people to become free from suffering. He had not held back any secret or esoteric teachings.

He had given freely in his lifetime, holding nothing back.

One way to continue to practice as he practiced is to keep all Buddhist practice paths free from secretiveness.

The responsibilities of the recipients, however, are even more stringent. To ensure that the donor feels glad before giving, monks and nuns are forbidden from pressuring the donor in any way. Except when ill or in situations where the donor has invited them to ask, they cannot ask for anything beyond the barest emergency necessities. They are not even allowed to give hints about what they'd like to receive. When asked where a prospective gift should be given, they are told to follow the Buddha's example and say, “Give wherever your gift would be used, or would be well-cared for, or would last long, or wherever your mind feels inspired.” This conveys a sense of trust in the donor's discernment — which in itself is a gift that gladdens the donor's mind.

To ensure that a donor feels inspired while giving a gift, the monks and nuns are enjoined to receive gifts attentively and with an attitude of respect.

To ensure that the donor feels gratified afterward, they should live frugally, care for the gift, and make sure it is used in an appropriate way. In other words, they should show that the donor's trust in them is well placed.

*And of course they must work on subduing their greed, anger, and delusion. In fact, this is a primary motivation for trying to attain arahantship: so that the gifts given to one will bear the donors great fruit.

By sharing these responsibilities in an atmosphere of trust, both sides protect the freedom of the donor. They also foster the conditions that will enable not only the practice of generosity but also the entire practice of Dhamma to flourish and grow.

The principles of freedom and fruitfulness also govern the code the Buddha formulated specifically for protecting the gift of Dhamma.

Here again, the responsibilities are shared.

To ensure that the teacher is glad, inspired, and gratified in teaching, the listeners are advised to listen with respect, to try to understand the teaching, and — once they're convinced that it's genuinely wise — to sincerely put it into practice so as to gain the desired results. Like a monk or nun receiving a material gift, the recipient of the gift of Dhamma has the simple responsibility of treating the gift well.

Date: June 28, 2011 09:55PM

And

All of these principles assume a high level of nobility and restraint on both sides of the equation, which is why people tried to find ways around them even while the Buddha was alive. The origin stories to the monastic discipline — the tales portraying the misbehavior that led the Buddha to formulate rules for the monks and nuns — often tell of monastics whose gift of Dhamma came with strings attached, and of lay people who gladly pulled those strings to get what they wanted out of the monastics: personal favors served with an ingratiating smile. The Buddha's steady persistence in formulating rules to cut these strings shows how determined he was that the principle of Dhamma as a genuinely free gift not be an idle ideal. He wanted it to influence the way people actually behaved.

He never gave an extended explanation of why the act of teaching should always be a gift, but he did state in general terms that when his code of conduct became corrupt over time, that would corrupt the Dhamma as well. And in the case of the etiquette of generosity, this principle has been borne out frequently throughout Buddhist history.

A primary example is recorded in the Apadanas, which scholars believe were added to the Canon after King Asoka's time. The Apadanas discuss the rewards of giving in a way that shows how eager the monks composing them were to receive lavish gifts. They promise that even a small gift will bear fruit as guaranteed arahantship many eons in the future, and that the path from now to then will always be filled with pleasure and prestige. Attainments of special distinction, though, require special donations. Some of these donations bear a symbolic resemblance to the desired distinction — a gift of lighted lamps, for instance, presages clairvoyance — but the preferred gift of distinction was a week's worth of lavish meals for an entire monastery, or at least for the monks who teach.

It's obvious that the monks who composed the Apadanas were giving free rein to their greed, and were eager to tell their listeners what their listeners wanted to hear.

The fact that these texts were recorded for posterity shows that the listeners, in fact, were pleased.

Thus the teachers and their students, acting in collusion, skewed the culture of dana in the direction of their defilements. In so doing they distorted the Dhamma as well.

If gift-giving guarantees Awakening, it supplants the noble eightfold path with the one-fold path of the gift.

If the road to Awakening is always prestigious and joyful, the concept of right effort disappears.

Yet once these ideas were introduced into the Buddhist tradition, they gained the stamp of authority and have affected Buddhist practice ever since.

Throughout Buddhist Asia, people tend to give gifts with an eye to their symbolic promise of future reward; and the list of gifts extolled in the Apadanas reads like a catalog of the gifts placed on altars throughout Buddhist Asia even today.

Posted by: grainne uaile ()
Date: June 30, 2011 06:48PM

I noticed when I was in the Vedanta Society and upset with the gurus there due to their verbal abuse, I was told to leave quietly. This idea of leaving quietly is so that you won't take anyone with you. This belief that my New Jonang teacher gave to me on keeping quiet because you may just be resentful and not really wanting to help others, which is bad karma, is also to keep you quiet when you leave him.

NOTE: All of the lamas will put down The Shadow of the Dali Lama, Berzin, June Campbell, etc. Anything that is against TB they put down. I was leery of the Shadow online (free) book until I began buying the books that they quoted from, and everything they say is correct. Also, they were students of the Dalai Lama and close to him, they were publishers of his works, and they left due to what they have learned.

Because they are the main source on the internet I thought it good to find out if they were telling the truth, because someone needs to really find this out. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the lamas who lie to you on just about everything.

I had done research on the Dangers of Meditation, and I told my teacher of those dangers, and he said that there were none. I told him of Dr. Margaret Singer's 50 years of dealing with people who came to her because they cracked up during meditation and the things she had to say. He said she only studied TM members and that she was a fraud who ended up in court. I told him that I had an dissertation written by a psychologist, and she had sent it to me, saying that I could publish it online. She researched it on Buddhism. I asked him if he wanted to read it, and he said to not concern myself that few people have problems. Now I am busy trying to get it back on my blog that I reopened after closing it because he felt "it could be resentment and bad karma." I am busy trying to research TB because people are getting hurt. Who cares if it is resentment and bad karma? I will take the chance if I can reach anyone and stop them from being hurt.

Anyway, again, my blog is: [downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.com]

But Please, if you do research by buying the books that the Trimondis on the Shadow book, you will see that they are not lying. It may be costly for me, but I am doing it just the same. Not that I am getting them all, but just a few that seemed most important.

Posted by: Misstyk ()
Date: July 01, 2011 01:10AM

grainne uaile
. Now I am busy trying to get it back on my blog that I reopened after closing it because he [my teacher] felt "it could be resentment and bad karma." I am busy trying to research TB because people are getting hurt. Who cares if it is resentment and bad karma? I will take the chance if I can reach anyone and stop them from being hurt.

This is the standard line teachers/lamas use to silence people. "Criticizing is 'Wrong Speech' " and will bring you bad karma. To the contrary, the Buddha said that speaking out when a wrong is being committed is "Right Speech". Warning others of danger is very much "Right Speech". And your motives are compassionate. Even the Dalai Lama has said that if the motives are pure, bad karma won't result. Lamas and teachers may deliberately misrepresent the teachings in order to control their students and cover up their own misconduct. Imagine an entire country run this way! It was scandalous then, on the rare occasion Westerners got a glimpse of Old Tibet, and it's still scandalous now that the monastic and spiritual elite has the nerve to try to play the same tricks and power games on Westerners.

Date: July 01, 2011 04:18AM

and it's still scandalous now that the monastic and spiritual elite has the nerve to try to play the same tricks and power games on Westerners.

And what is a tragedy is--we fall for it.

We are being trained to think and react as peasants in a feudal system by blokes who exploit the refuge offered by Western democracy and exploit the tax exempt status so trustfully given to anyone and anything that calls itself a spiritual project.

[forum.culteducation.com]

If anyone wants perspective on Vajrayana Buddhism, Stephen Butterfield, now deceased, gave a detailed account of his own training in Vajrayana via Chogyam Trungpa and Ozel Tendsin. The title of Butterfield's memoir is The Double Mirror .

I feel obligated to warn that though he appreciated the benefits he received from the Dharma practices he learned via Trungpa, Butterfield gave the impression that the problems did not stem from a dysfunctional teacher, but that much of the trouble originated in the organizational structure and doctrines of vajrayana itself, even when authentic, even when reliably transmitted. Those trying to cling to hopes that the tradition itself is trouble free and that only a bad apple teacher is the cause of the trouble are not going to enjoy this book.

But if you want to understand the context--namely causes and conditions--and are willing to tolerate the anxiety of asking some hard questions of a tradition you love--this book is well worth it.

Butterfield makes a very convincing case that Trunpa especially, ran his organization in such a way that it massaged ego by inflaming ambition while constantly debunking ego.

Butterfield calls that 'the double message'--others would call it crazy making. He made it clear in this book that he loved Buddhist practice and that a severe lung problem he had actually improved when he dedicated himself to meditation practice. But the power abuses he observed within Vajradatu troubled him, and he bitterly regretted how he himself had failed to speak up on crucial issues.

Butterfield has a detailed descripton of the meditation practices used not only by beginning students but the more advanced practicds used to prepare oneself to receive and then practice the higher level tantric teachings (ngondro). He gives precise descriptions of how these affect the mind and how organizational features of Vajradhatu made it hard to take an adult autonomous stance. People who persisted in this tended to leave or were forced out.

Quote:

Neverheless, the Vajradhatu version of Mahayana (Trungpa's version)may be at risk of converting the "great vehicle" into a self serving mechanism for supporting Vajradhatu,' Butterfield writes. Such risk is inherant in meditation itself, and in the anture of organizations, but it is aggravated by the guru principle.' (which was central to the tradition in which Chogyam Trunpa and his successors taught--and teach

Buttefield again: "Political engagement, for the most part is left up to the individual (Buddhist practitioner). At times it has been overtly discouraged. Even on the pressing iBuddhist issue of opposing the Chinese destruction of Tibet, the Vajradhatu press was late to speak out or take a position, although its coverage of Budhists in Asian countries improved in the late 1980s. Ozel Tendzin (Chogyam Trungpas successor, chosen by Trunpa himself)was scornful of the "liberal conscience" of American Buddhists who opposed teh corrupt, shortsighted policies of the Reagan Administration in Central America. And Trungpa in his Seminary talks from the 1970s, often referred perjoratively to political demonstrations and acts of civil disobedience, using them as examples of a false, aggressive heroism whose purpose was more to affirm the ego of the demonstrator than to do anything constructive abou tthe problem.

Speaking of Trungpa, Butterfield continues: 'While he may have been right in some cases, his views always reflected his dislike of democracy' Butterfield noted. 'Proposals for membership control of his own organization were squashed; he once referred to them as "democratic farts" and walked out of a meeting in disgust when a student suggested that the audience vote on how late he could keep them up."

Butterfield, page 77.

And though Trunpa had the nerve and gall to express contempt for democracy, he was quite willing to exploit Americas generous immigration policies, of which his own sorry ass was a beneficiary. He also benefitted from US laws giving tax exemption to religious projects.

And though Trungpa criticised ego when it took the form of protesting unjust US policies in Central America, he set matters up at Vajradhatu so that ego was stimulated to climb the ladder and win his favor.

Quote:

'The curriculum is presented through a hierarchy of forms that intensifies the mixed message behind seeking what you already have: enlighenment credentials are meaningless, said Trungpa, but you should definitely respect mine and here is a graded process for acquiring them. Although he deflated and his students scorned, the ego's desire for a higher, more spiritual more transcendental life, the whole Tibetan style lured me on with a promise of a higher more spiritual, more transcendental life.
'The system of the three yanas has an inherently elitist appeal. It triggers our desire to join the big shots, do the secret rituals, and find out what the masters really know. In my first contact with him, Trunpa undercut this elitism, he presented enlightenment as something anyone can have, right now. His message was too simple for intellectual analysis, you can do it, dont be a coward, cheer up.

Any sensible country school girl could have said the same thing.

'Yet he wore expensive suits and jewels, rode in a chauffered Mercedes, had servants, designed and awarded pins to symbolize levels of attainment in his programs, and was known to offer secret tantric instruction to selected disciples.

'Since he was telling me the truth about my own motives, I believed that if he did offer something transcendental, it would be real thing, not a plastic manipulation.

'But the ego, which supposedly did not exist, was both deflated and fully engaged. Teh impetus behind the journey came as much from the desire to earn one of his pins and hold a title in his organization as from a genuine longing to wake up, or an altruistic wish to benefit sentient beings.
'

The Double Mirror, Stephen Butterfield, page 43

It turns out that Stephen Butterfield not only got involved with, and then wrote an expose on Trungpa's rendition of Buddhism, but he had earlier become involved with Amway, did well at it, and then had misgivings and wrote an exposure about it as well!

This was a man able to admit he had made mistakes and then was generous enough to put himself on the line and write material to keep other people from falling into the traps he'd walked so trustfully into.

Providing this kind of information--and going through the hell of enduring depositions and being cross examined on the witness stand in court is, really and truly, to put one's body on the line.

Stephen Butterfield suffered from sarcoidosis and it affected his lungs and led to his early death. It is difficult enough to endure the tension of giving testimony in an adversarial lawsuit, even when one is young and healthy. To do so when struggling with a serious chronic illness, especially one that affects the lungs, organs whose function is easily compromised by stress, would require the utmost courage.

Admitting one's mistakes and providing information about two high demand organizations to assist potential recruits or those with misgivings is refreshingly different from a pattern that shows up all too often in the so called Dharma world.

In the name of right speech and guru devotion, it is all too common for old timers, presons genuinely troubled about their guru or sangha, to talk about their concerns between themselves, but to keep such discussions secret and segrgated only between old timers.

These same old timers go silent about these troubles and conceal them from new arrivals on the principle of...dont tell-the-newbies-about-the-actual problems-we-are-havingwe-dont-want-to-make-the-Dharma-look-bad-or-discourage-the-newbies-they-are-not-ready-to-hear-this.

By the time the newbies are allowed to know about the troubling issues, the problems may well have grown more entrenched. And....the newbies are no longer newbies. They are old timers, cant stand to admit they made a mistake because they invested too much time or money--or cant stand to admit they colluded in harmdoing.

So they perpetuate the pattern of secrecy by with holding family secrets from the next generation of new arrivals, and claim this lying by omission is right speech.

What is especially annoying is that some of these secret keeping old timers the very ones who claim that newbies 'cant understand these matters' and infantalize them, go on to claim that the guru is corrupted because the newbies only want easy Dharma.

The secret keeping old timers refuse to see they too are participating in the causes and conditions of abuse by colluding and concealing a hurtful sangha's family secrets and a pattern of infantalizing new arrivals by with-holding information they need in order to make adult and informed decisions about the long term costs, social, emotional, financial, if they get involved with this particular sangha.

In the Pali Mahaparinibbana Sutta, Buddha assured his students he had held nothing back from them. He had no secret teachings hidden away.

Posted by: Misstyk ()
Date: July 01, 2011 07:53AM

Trungpa said it was "ego" that lead people to demonstrate against Reagan's Central America policies??!! This shows how profoundly ignorant Tibetans are. (Perhaps it also reveals how heavily-invested in the status quo the spiritual elite was in Tibet's theocracy. Criticism of or protest against the regime were met with loss of tongue, limb or even life.) There was genocide going on against the Indigenous Mayan majority in Guatemala at the time, and the Reagan Administration was providing the Guatemalan government with helicopters and armaments to more "efficiently" wage that war. Protesters were organizing out of compassion, the same compassion Buddhism teaches, and out of a sense of responsibility as citizens of the nation that was fueling the genocide.

You'd think that a Tibetan would be sympathetic to a cause like that: genocide, both physical and cultural. This just shows how self-absorbed and completely devoid of compassion Trungpa was (not unlike many of his peers). Dharma students have yet to absorb the reality that in Tibetan Buddhism, with rare exception, the much-vaunted compassion and loving-kindness are fake, the celibacy is fake, the egolessness that is held as the goal of practice is fake.

How can the Dalai Lama profess a "religion of kindness" in the wake of so much ignorance, abuse, and human wreckage left in the wake of teachers claiming to offer a path to enlightenment while callously using, preying on, and then abandoning their sincerely devoted students? Frankly, my observation is that most Westerners are much more inclined toward compassion by nature than most Tibetan so-called "adepts" and "advanced practitioners". Really, this global whitewashing of Tibetan Buddhism as the "religion of kindness" that the jovial Dalai Lama is so good at doing, is a deadly form of illegal (in the US) false advertising and "bait-and-switch" tactic. "Caveat emptor", indeed!

Posted by: Wannabefree ()
Date: July 01, 2011 08:42AM

I am so grateful that this topic is still being discussed.

I stand by every thing that has been said as somebody still suffering trying free myself from the Tibetan Buddhist Abusive Mind trap.

From my experience not all Tibetan Buddhist agree with the abuses, however they are aware of them and are held to secrecy and held from warning people by wrong speech.

There are good and reputable people in society that hold their silence because of they Tibetan Buddhist rules they are bound by.

I know this because before I left my Buddhist Center they were horrified when I told them how I was being treated.

And now no looks to support me, they know how to contact me and no one does; from what I see on the Buddhist Center's website they still go around smiling and welcoming people like nothing happened.

Do they tell people what happened to me?

NO!

So people new and vulnerable who the center lure in are still exposed to a bad or at least extremely delusional dangerous person/Monk who in my country works in Hospitals teaching Meditation in the Hospital I knew him through he was that skillful about hiding his other personality behind a cloak of kindness and charm like the Dalai Lama who was his teacher when I reported him the Hospital thought I was delusional.

One of the most difficult things about recovering is the main stream and even cult therapists are so in love with the Dalai Lama's PR machine that they think something is wrong with the victim of Tibetan Buddhist abuse.

Shame on you Dalai Lama I don't like your ancient corrupt system.

The danger of the Dalai Lama to his students is he truly believes he is right in what he does.

Students watch out, you are not students you are part of a system that uses coercive techniques to lure you and mind manipulations to steal your mind through guilt and fear which aren't so apparent when you first start.

It is discussed in Buddhist Classes that I attended that the Human mind and life is the most precious thing that there is.

ie Precious Human Life

Why because you control that and you control the persons life and this gives the controller Power.

If your mind is ambushed and stolen without your permission through subtle at first then abusive mind manipulation by Buddhist Clergy and supporters in a trap;

THE HUMAN MIND IS THE GREATEST AND MOST VALUABLE POSSESSION...

AS THE BUDDHISTS SAY,

THEN THE THEFT OF IT AND ABUSE TO CONTROL THE HUMAN MIND,

IN MY OPINION...

IS THE GREATEST CRIME OF ALL,

GREATER THAN ANY TRAIN OR BANK ROBBERY OR ABDUCTION....

WATCH OUT THERE DANGER DANGER AT BUDDHIST CENTERS LURKING THAT AT FIRST YOU WILL NOT SEE...!

Current Page: 13 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.