Current Page: 82 of 155
Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: March 15, 2010 05:30AM

An interesting article from 'physorg'
with the latest findings on how people with psychopathic traits have an elevated dopamine response to reward seeking behaviour i.e. they pursue goals and risky behaviour relentlessly, particularly money goals, well beyond the point that a more normal person would quit.

www.physorg.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 05:35AM by Stoic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 15, 2010 08:28AM

"This is my dream... I make the rules" --Alice in Wonderland

The latest twit from Death Ray.

Answered best by nuclear dwight: @JamesARay This is my dream: you make the license plates.

Date: March 15, 2010 08:37AM

As Death Ray twisted Einsteins quote here is the full version:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

As it seems relevant, I've added this further quote from Albert E, showing that this emotional sway is no new tool of control:

"The minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 08:46AM by Stoic.

Re: James Arthur Ray - Tweeting cultic mind-games
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 15, 2010 08:50AM

Twitter jamesaray OR jamesray
[search.twitter.com]

Interesting coincidence, that just yesterday I mentioned about the remaining followers of an imploding sect/cult being "down the rabbit hole", which is an image used even by sect leaders themselves. The sect leader tries to lead his remaining followers into a delusional false perception of reality.
They even try to make it into a "joke" where if you ask those same members, if they are going down the rabbit hole into a "cult", they might start to laugh hysterically.

The Ramtha cult even called their fake-doc DVD release: "What the BLEEP – Down the Rabbit Hole, Quantum Edition" [en.wikipedia.org]

So as figured out by the James Ray daily Twitter smack-down, Ray is deliberately making misquotes, trying to bait his critics, and trying to reinforce his New Age cosmology that says all of reality is a solipsist mental projection.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that James Ray believes that Belief System (they call it BS), that "content" is to try and keep his remaning followers entranced. Of course Ray is very clumsy and piss-poor at doing these techniques, anyone on the outside can see them.
But one has to wonder how many of his previous New Agey followers are still following James Ray the Pied Piper of Sedona down the rabbit hole?

Date: March 15, 2010 05:44PM

'There is not a snowballs chance in hell that James Ray believes that Belief System (they call it BS), that "content" is to try and keep his remaning followers entranced.'

My feeling is that whether or not JAR believes in the belief system he promotes and cynically exploits, he is heavily invested in it and probably lives by it to a large degree. He is certainly consistent in its application, so believing or not he is heavily influenced by it.

That is the problem with such a logical (as opposed to rational) system of thought, it makes its adherents stir-crazy in the end. I lived on a ship for a year once and after 4-5 months that enormous ship began to shrink daily. I had to get off after a year as I was going stir-crazy.
The same thing happens with purely logical thought systems, there is no where else to go after a time. A random element is required to open them up and introduce fresh material.

Returning to Albert E, the logical scientist who clearly recognised this problem, he prefaced his quote with another remark:

'I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.'

Einsteins great gift, that which enabled him to see more than other scientists of his day, was his ability to utilise his imagination in the service of science.
JAR is a copyist, stepping outside of his system will be stepping off a cliff, into the unknown for him. He has shown little sign so far that he has any propensity to do that.

I think he is finding his system, whether or not he believes in it, shrinking at an alarming rate, in the same way my ship shrank.
This is a good thing, whatever the outcome for Death Ray. I have no compassion for Death Ray, he built this rubbish into his own brain in order to con, fleece and destroy others, lets see him try to get out of that trap.
Karma.

Date: March 15, 2010 11:29PM

'Alice: "Am I the right person?" Caterpillar: "How can I know who you are if YOU don't even know who you are?" -- Alice in Wonderland '

Death Ray's latest tweet indicates to me that he is scrabbling for the high ground, playing any word game he can come up with in an attempt to get back in top dog position.

If JAR knew who or what he was he would not be playing such daft games, he would be naturally showing himself as a congruent being in his every move and utterance.
Whatever that would manifest as, it would not be hackneyed and distorted quotes on twitter, attempting to re-establish his support and standing.
If he had an inkling, he would be making the most of the limited time he has; as it is he is scrabbling to regain what has already passed.
Not a smart move James, 'the moving finger writes........' and all that.

Its that problem of diminishing returns again, so to James: "hang on to your hat and try to enjoy the ride to the bottom of the rabbit-hole. Then fess up, do your time and start again as a humble man with whatever brain function you have left. Its entirely possible you can recover from this, not very likely for sure, but there is a nanometre of possibility still there."

Posted by: DR ()
Date: March 16, 2010 01:37AM

The JAR tweet of last night, "This is my dream... I make the rules" will likely be repeated in the courtroom by the prosecutors as reflective of his extreme egocentrism. Of all the gibberish, misquotes and re-framed 'wisdom' Ray is tweeting about, this stands out as the most brazen statement of his true ethos.

Clearly Ray has plagiarized, borrowed and copied and then re-packaged a myriad of processes from many sources he deemed had potential for his own personal gain without any regard for the prescribed traditions or protocols of any particular tradition. The sweat lodge has a long history across multiple native traditions that are held very sacred by indigenous practitioners.

Ray's yammering away in Hawaiian, alternating with yiddish Quaballa prayers, encouraging vomiting as beneficial for detox, or ignoring those participants who have dropped off into unconsciousness, are together indicative of a total mix-mash of stolen intellectual property.

This, for him, was legitimate for the simple reason .... "this is my dream ergo I make the rules".

Date: March 16, 2010 05:21AM

[twitter.com]: @JamesARay as a registered participant for the upcoming HWW in SF I left 4msgs regarding venue.no call back! What's the deal?

Seems even when you send off the cheque or money order for registration you can't squeeze the location of the venue out of JRI. He's probably waiting to see how many risk takers he can corral before booking somewhere. Will anyplace have him with such a reckless customer-service reputation?

Smiley Runner will be running after his money for a long time, I think.

Posted by: Christa ()
Date: March 16, 2010 06:46AM

We've reached the part of the thread where I recommend Adam Curtis's 4-part documentary, The Century of the Self. No discussion about engineering consent, self-serving gurus, or the elite's manipulation of the meaner classes (cf. Oprah's retailing of personal growth to unsuspecting soccer moms) is complete without a review of this extraordinary work.

This is the only 4 hour film I've ever watched that I was sorry when it was over. The BBC broadcast it in the UK; PBS declined to show it in the US. I'm not sure what that means, but I am sure it means something.

Curtis initially uses politics to illuminate the issues we talk about in this thread, but, as you will see, there's no difference between the packaging of politicians and the marketing of self-help programs, which are the focus of the third hour of the film.

Both products (and that's all Western politicians are these days) are cynically constructed to appeal to our deepest dreams, desires, and wishes; both fields (mis)use the language of personal responsiblity, free choice, and unlimited fulfillment to attract buyers (voters).

And both fields rely on consumers' ignorance of the techniques their practioners use. As Anticult is fond of saying, once you learn how these techniques work, they won't work on you anymore.

The Century of the Self:
[video.google.com]#

Posted by: Penelope ()
Date: March 16, 2010 08:19AM

Thanks for the link Christa, I've just finished Part One. Will watch the rest later. Fascinating stuff.

Christa
We've reached the part of the thread where I recommend Adam Curtis's 4-part documentary, The Century of the Self. No discussion about engineering consent, self-serving gurus, or the elite's manipulation of the meaner classes (cf. Oprah's retailing of personal growth to unsuspecting soccer moms) is complete without a review of this extraordinary work.

This is the only 4 hour film I've ever watched that I was sorry when it was over. The BBC broadcast it in the UK; PBS declined to show it in the US. I'm not sure what that means, but I am sure it means something.

Curtis initially uses politics to illuminate the issues we talk about in this thread, but, as you will see, there's no difference between the packaging of politicians and the marketing of self-help programs, which are the focus of the third hour of the film.

Both products (and that's all Western politicians are these days) are cynically constructed to appeal to our deepest dreams, desires, and wishes; both fields (mis)use the language of personal responsiblity, free choice, and unlimited fulfillment to attract buyers (voters).

And both fields rely on consumers' ignorance of the techniques their practioners use. As Anticult is fond of saying, once you learn how these techniques work, they won't work on you anymore.

The Century of the Self:
[video.google.com]#

Current Page: 82 of 155

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.