Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: Jeannika ()
Date: May 19, 2010 02:22AM

Hippo, Stoic and Anticult ...

You guys are great.

Thanks for the information and advice. I'll be checking into all of it.

Jeannika

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 02:25AM by Jeannika.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hippo ()
Date: May 19, 2010 02:45AM

To Stoic:

I take the position that I am "slightly broken," but I don't trust anyone's so-called solution.

I have been around the block enough times to figure out that most things don't live up to their claims.

This has nothing to do with James Ray, but we had some County people come to our home to help us due to my children having behavioral problems and me being disabled. They were kind and meant well, but what they were able to do did not come anywhere close to what they promised. I would say they promised a "9" and delivered a "3". Now, I don't wish to appear ungrateful, because the "3" is far better than nothing, but I was very turned off by the over-selling.

And we didn't have to pay a dime for any of these services, but I still objected to what I felt was deception.

So I look at it like this: it's as if I am an old car that needs repair. However, the needed parts are unavailable. If somebody comes along and claims that they have the part for my car, I am extremely skeptical, because I know that it's more likely than not that they DO NOT have the correct part.

Posted by: Hippo ()
Date: May 19, 2010 02:55AM

To The Anticult:

With all respect, the Carl Sagan book looks too hard for me to read, which is why I suggested an easier book for Jeannika.

Maybe it's more of a gender thing. The Robert Levine book is written in a conversational style, with humorous anecdotes, pointing out various ways that we get manipulated.

It's not as technical as the Carl Sagan book, and I'm sure that "The Demon-Haunted World" goes into much more detail.

If a person is feeling unwell, or is easily intimidated, I think it's better to start with something simple.

Re: James Ray IBIS Institute of Balanced and Integrated Spirituality
Posted by: jeand ()
Date: May 27, 2010 09:45PM

I was checking out the fake "shaman" picture, on the IBIS site, hich,by the way the picture has a child holding coca leaves. I wonder if this was taken in S. America because it is almost unheard of to see a boy in S. America with hair that long. Also, the headbands they are wearing are not seen in S. American countries, though I could be wrong. The entire picture looks contrived and fraudulent.

Here's a statement on the "Cosmic Calendar" for May 2010: The IBIS Cosmic Calendar provides Zodiac, moon phase, solstice, equinox and MOTL conference call dates for the next 120 days. Please note: Dates associated with astrological signs are set according to the Vedic calendar."

Does this mean the conference calls are still happening scheduled by some "secret" calendar system? I seriously wonder how many followers Ray actually has.

Speaking of followers, a few weeks ago I became concerned about Kathleen M Schmidt tweeting support to James Ray and saw she has posted his picture and listed him on her blog as a monetary "supporter" of her programs. She is also giving him free publicity for Living in the Flow. I voiced this concern on Twitter and was quickly told to "leave her alone,she's healing", and "without James Ray, she would be lost". But Schmidt is supposedly a domestic violence victims advocate and children's health advocate! Her followers would be hurt and desperate women, mothers, many of whom might be single and recently divorced or separated. These would be easy targets for Ray, a very dangerous situation.

Personally, I feel Schmidt should be reported to non-profit boards in Washington State for connecting victim advocacy to Ray who's currently awaiting trial for 3 manslaughter charges and who has another participant's death connected to him. Are there any suggetions for the most effective way to report Schmidt and at least have someone take a look at this? I'm sure she receives grants and/or private donations for her work.

Posted by: Yakaru ()
Date: May 28, 2010 05:07AM

This is really appalling. Promoting Ray to victims of domestic violence and teenage rape victims. And a commenter on her facebook page said of Kathleen Schmidt that she has "not only survived but thrived" - a classic Ray-ism. I smell an awful lot of rats.

She's trying to get herself on Oprah, and has support from idiots like Wayne Dyer. This is really quite dangerous.

I left a comment on her blog - I doubt it will make it through moderation.
[blog.kathleenmschmidt.com]

Date: May 28, 2010 06:09AM

Yes, it is, Yakaru. Domestic abuse victims are like veal for the fangs and palate of James Ray. I am going to compile a list of organizations we can contact to make them aware of Scmidt's involvement with Ray. I know there are groups that would not want to be connected to someone who is facing trial for 3 deaths and connected to another one shortly before that.

I hope she does not get on Oprah. That has to be some underhanded JAR stuff at work here. I'm sure this is connected to promoting him indirectly if not openly. I don't care what another Twitterer told me that "it would be cruel to confront or report Schmidt". I believe she needs to be limited. She's his victim now,just switched abusers. It would be bad enough for Schmidt alone to be his victim, but to lead traumatized women and children to him is absolutely horrifying.

Date: May 28, 2010 11:38PM

I was going to make a comment at the oprah now voting page to Schmidt, but there is a legal statement that threatens anyone who might "interfere with the voting process". I don't want to seem threatening,that's not my intention. I don't want to hurt her feelings, just express the need to examine who Ray really is and that he's caused 4 deaths, many injuries and extensive suffering to many people. I would like to get through to her somehow. Are there any publications or postings here on this forum that help us understand how to effectively influence the victims of brainwashing? How can we help them see the truth about the perpetrator(s) without appearing to be "the bad guy"?

Speaking of bad guys, Ray posted a new video on Twitter this morning. He's really looking and sounding crazy! [tinyurl.com] He is unshaven and can barely speak. Notice the repetition of his words and phrases,and his disjointed thoughts.His eyeliner is drawn around his eyelids and under his eyes. He reminds me of those alcoholic old ladies who pencil on their eyebrows and paint lipstick all around their mouths. Ray clearly seems to be self-medicating his insanity.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: May 29, 2010 01:30AM

hi Jeand,

There is probably not much you can do about warning off Schmidt's customers apart from posting a link to this site.

The following is advice for those with family or close friends caught in a cult--even trying to steer those close to you away from involvement is far from easy and can entrench opinions. I was born into a cult family and lost all my brothers and sisters despite many years of diplomatic encouragement to see the cult for what it is.

[www.culteducation.com]

It can be quite depressing to realise that there is little we can do for those caught up except education, the spreading of awareness and pointing people in the direction of an alternative perspective is about the best and most effective option. I mourned the loss of my family for a long time, I think I was also mourning the fact that I was powerless to 'save' them, being just an average joe and not a superhero. That was always beyond my control but it didn't stop me trying.

Posted by: Yakaru ()
Date: May 29, 2010 03:33AM

I posted a fairly sharp but diplomatic comment on her site for her to moderate and delete, saying she has a responsibility to do background checks on all her supporters. Like Stoic, I also don't think there is any talking to her. I think all we can do is make it clear that we oppose what she is doing. There is no excuse for anyone to be promoting Ray.

Actually her whole project looks highly suspicious to me. These new age guys like Dyer and Ray simply never do anything out of normal altruism. The "non-profit" side look like just a cover for making money - like that Hernia Nelson woman. If they get bored using spirituality as a cover, tthey turn to "charity" to get their hit of feel-good and cash.

(Thanks for posting the Ray video, Jean. I'll look at it a soon as I find my welding mask.)

Posted by: Christa ()
Date: May 29, 2010 04:59AM

Hippo
To The Anticult:

With all respect, the Carl Sagan book looks too hard for me to read, which is why I suggested an easier book for Jeannika.

Maybe it's more of a gender thing. The Robert Levine book is written in a conversational style, with humorous anecdotes, pointing out various ways that we get manipulated.

It's not as technical as the Carl Sagan book, and I'm sure that "The Demon-Haunted World" goes into much more detail.

If a person is feeling unwell, or is easily intimidated, I think it's better to start with something simple.

Don't judge a book by its cover... I guess that old saying's gone out of fashion?

I am also intensely curious to know why interest in reading a book by the marvelous Carl Sagan would have anything to do with gender.

I want to pitch "Demon-Haunted World" as vigorously as I can to anyone who sees this page. Of course people have issues that interfere with their ability to do all kinds of things, and I'm sure there are a few who simply wouldn't be able to read it. But it's a mass market book for the mass market, not a graduate physics text. Plus, it's engaging, brilliant, informative, and approachable.

This one book has changed more lives than Louise Hay, Wayne Dyer, Andrew Cohen and the rest of that Rat Pack ever have. Please don't be put off because its author was a brilliant scientist or because it might look long and difficult. Give it a chance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.