Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: DR ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:56AM

In my opinion a very subtle shift occurring today as Ray releases his most recent video called 2nd Pillar-Relational. This is a recycled video from his Harmonic Wealth series produced before the sweat lodge deaths of October 2009. This certainly is an attempt an image building at the least ... and perhaps programming of potential jurors and/or defense witnesses at the worst. [www.jamesray.com]

Every single video released AFTER the sweat lodge deaths up until today, was pretty obviously produced in his 'home office' with Ray appearing fairly gaunt ... displaying a sickening feigned humility, and fairly noticeable, worse for the wear.

Now there is the return to the James in his prime ... aggressive, animated, opinionated as if to portray James as if he never changed. This to me is an obvious ploy to solidify the support of his drones who will be ecstatic to see James 'as he always was'.

More dangerous is move to portray this charlatan as a respected do-gooder to a potential jury pool (in as much as there is a fair amount of curiosity about this case generally).

Lest we all forget his stammering, barely straight face "I believe in our legal system" utterance we heard in the first video interview of him that appeared after Sedona. Or the one after it talking about how humble he is, doesn't have a company anymore, and parses himself as one of the victims. [www.youtube.com]

Sickening and scandalous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jeand ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:34AM

Here's a post from today "The Official Fan Page of James Arthur Ray 'An inflexible body is a reflection of an inflexible mind." This drew negative comments from some of his follwers,which he promptly deleted.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:10PM

The current trial dates have been 'vacated' ie the start date of the trial has been postponed:

[apps.supremecourt.az.gov]

which seems to be as a result of legal strategies from the defence in presenting excessive documentation--which has been allowed thus requiring extra time for the prosecutors to respond.

I agree with you, DR, that there has been a shift in the presentation that JAR is making of himself to the public at large and I think that we will be seeing a much more aggressive presentation of JAR as a do-gooding victim of unfortunate circumstances.

Shame on him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 07:19PM by Stoic.

Date: July 20, 2010 05:48PM

The postponement is due to Judge Darrow being assigned to a first degree murder trial. I assume the judge cannot preside over two trials simultaneously. Unfortunately, this gives James Ray more time to gather followers and hang out with Genpo Roshi. On twitter it's been mentioned Ray spent time with Roshi in June in Utah, and last week he was with him again. Curious to find out what's really going on with those two. I have read Roshi's teacher was an alcoholic faux "Zen Master" who was accused of sexually controlling students. Also I read Roshi and Bill Harris are "partners" in something called Holosync, definitely strange-sounding.

Posted by: Jeannika ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:06AM

jeand,
here's some info you might find interesting.

Holosync
Holosync is Bill Harris' patented take on a decades old technology called "Brain Synchronization". In a nutshell, two different tones "binaural beats" beating at tempos corresponding to a desired brain state, (e.g. alpha, delta, etc.) are listened to on a stereo head set (a different tone for each ear). These tones are usually set just below the range of hearing, and have some sort of music or tone playing on top. Sometimes affirmations (self hypnosis) are added to the mix. Some programs allow you to also watch lights flashing at the same tempo while listening.

Binaural beats affect the basic brainwave state of the listener. In essence, the brain tries to mimic the frequency of the "beats". Allowing the listener to synchronize their brain waves to the tempo of the tones being played. Allowing you to sleep better, calm down, perk up, etc. It's astonishing stuff.

There are litterally dozens of different brain synchronization software programs out there, many of them free. I purchased a license to a special software which allows me to embed brain synch tones inside my music. My ultimate goal to produce a series of music (my compositions) CDs promoting relaxation.

This technology works, and is used in hospitals and treatment centers world wide. Additionally there are countless CDs available with these frequencies embedded within music. There is only one serious drawback, if you're epileptic certain frequencies can trigger seizures. Which is why I stopped work on my brain synch CDs, and only use the technology for myself and my family.

Harris charges an obscene amount of money for a seemingly never ending series of Holosync CDs. He includes small print on the CD (after you've shelled out your money) warning epileptics about the seizure threat. I've read of people experiencing seizures while listening, but so far no lawsuits. (Guess the small print has him pretty well covered.)

Harris will send you a free (just pay for shipping) Holosync CD to try it out. If you're epileptic, check with your doctor before trying it ... better yet avoid it altogether.

Genpo Roshi and James Arthur Ray
Last year James Arthur Ray sent out emails promoting something called "Accelerated Meditation", which I promptly deleted.

By the time I received JAR's email touting the "Great Zen Master" Genpo Roshi, I believed JAR was only about the money, so my gut instinct told me he wasn't going to promote anyone unless there was money involved. Also I couldn't imagine any Zen master worth his salt who'd want to spend time with, or teach for JAR.

Note: The term "Roshi" means Zen Master.

January 2009 info sent touting Genpo Roshi
Accelerated Meditation with Genpo Roshi

Experience a lifetime of training and meditation practice condensed into just a few short hours...

I recently got to spend some time with the great Zen master Genpo Roshi and learned an incredible technique that will help you achieve advanced meditative states that took him 30 years to learn. And you'll achieve it within just a few short hours...

JAR Video Teaser produced promoting Genpo Roshi
In this short video Genpo Roshi talks about how he studied for over 20 years to learn what he knows. But he'll teach it ALL to you in "only 3 hours". (Yeah right) I've meditated most of my adult life, and it took more than "a few short hours" for me to get my groove (if you know what I mean).

My gut feeling (based on what I've read and seen about Genpo Roshi, is that he's about money as well. Not obcenely so, like JAR) Click here to check out his website. That said, Genpo Roshi (birth name Dennis Genpo Merzel) deserves credit for having accomplished some astonishing things. His has been an extraordinary life, controversy not withstanding, and his achievements way outclass JAR.

Merzel was an All-American water polo player and champion swimmer in both high school and college. He was co-captain of the Junior water polo team and in 1963 they went undefeated the entire season against all the top-ranked four-year universities as well as the two-year junior colleges. They were state champions. In 1965 he was on the All-American team that took the gold at the Israeli world Maccabean Games. He went on to attend USC where he earned a Masters in educational administration. He eventually became a school teacher.

For the record it was Genpo Roshi, NOT Zen Master Taizan Maezumi-roshi, who was accused of sexual misconduct. In 1990 a number of Merzel's students at the Kanzeon Zen Center in Bar Harbor Maine, (where he was in charge), and asked him to leave, which he did. The center subsequently closed; Merzel and his wife divorced shortly thereafter.

Merzel's teacher Taizan Maezumi-Roshi (who had struggled with alcoholism for years) drowned in his bath tub while intoxicated.

Is anyone else bothered by the way JAR tends to preface ANYTHING and EVERYONE he promotes with "great", "incredible", or "fantastic". I sure am. Have you ever been to Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress? Remember the song "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow?" Sometimes when JAR is hyping one of his too good to be true or "Great" people, places or things, that song starts running through my head, and I start laughing. It's become my official James Arthur Ray theme song. (No offence to Walt Disney or the composer Rex Allen.)

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
New version recorded for Disney's "Meet The Robinsons"

Click Here to Listen and Smile
You'll be taken to an other page and the song will start automatically.

Enjoy

Jeannika

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 01:17AM by Jeannika.

Date: July 21, 2010 11:46AM

Thanks for that info. I especially like the Disney song. :-)

Here's the site where I read about Taizan Maezumi. Scandals and Improprities "Zen Center of Los Angeles: In 1983 Hakuyu Taizan Maezumi-roshi, a married Japanese abbot, entered an alcoholism treatment program and openly apologized to his students for affairs with several women students. including a teen-age girl" [www.katybutler.com]

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 21, 2010 03:22PM

'My gut feeling (based on what I've read and seen about Genpo Roshi, is that he's about money as well. Not obcenely so, like JAR)'

My gut feeling is 'definitely obscenely so', just like JAR.

A year or so ago I got numerous spam emails from Bill Harris touting a weekend with Genpo with a 'guaranteed enlightenment experience'........for the paltry sum of $50,000.

They seemed to get a fair number of takers also as I kept getting emails for the weekends being held in various venues for a period of about a year.

This has to rank as one of the top most blatant cons I have ever been offered, selling you something that you already have (selling water by the river) for such a breathtaking sum.

I followed up this snippet and eventually found that Genpo was selling (as Big Mind, TM) a psychological technique that he had cribbed from others (who I believe were called in to aid his followers deal with the fallout of his own behaviour)

The technique involves identifying and giving voice to different aspects of the psyche or personality, a valid enough approach but hardly $50,000 worth of therapy or an 'enlightenment experience'.

I'd say that anyone who willingly partners with JAR has to be at least as suspect and without conscience as he is.
Birds of a feather and all that..

Date: July 22, 2010 12:33AM

Just seeing Genpo's close up reminds me of the faces and eyes of the inmates I met while teaching in a Federal Correctional Institution. It was a minimum security facility when I first took the job, then transitioned to medium security, which is why I didn't want the promotion they offered me. White collar criminals who had committed lots of fraud, forgers, big drug dealers,N American and Latin American mafiosos,bank robbers, embezzlers... there's that smug look of "I'm getting away with it even though my con is obvious" When hitchhiking around the US and Mexico in the late 70s, I learned to register certain facial expressions, voices and eyes with a mental voice that shouts "Stop! Danger!" After nearly escaping from a killer in Daytona, Florida and jumping out of slightly moving semi-truck in Mojave, California, I told myself to never trust anyone with that smirk or those eyes ever again. Hard to explain but when you know the face, it never leaves your memory. This Genpo guy has it.

Date: July 22, 2010 02:24AM

The word "nearly" should be "narrowly". Had I nearly escaped, I wouldn't be here today!

Posted by: Jeannika ()
Date: July 22, 2010 03:32AM

JeanD and Stoic ...
Thanks for the info ... boy am I a DUMMY! Even though my initial reaction to the email JAR sent last year was (yeah right), more bullshit. I researched Genpo online. After I read about all Dennis Genpo Merzel had accomplished in his life I gave pause. Not that I would have attended his seminar, because something didn't sit right ... and I wondered why someone like him would hang out and associate with JAR. You gave me my answer.

It saddens me beyond words whenever I read about the lengths some people are willing to go just to get money. When you toss in a little opportunistic (abusive) sex, mind manipulation, false promises and everything these people do ... they seem almost inhuman. When I think about the amount of damage (emotional, physical and spiritual) I want to cry.

I hope I learn to look at people a little more closely, and not trust so easily. It still chills me to the bone when I realize how close my husband and I came to attending a number of JAR's retreats.

Thank you again guys ...

Jeannika

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 03:33AM by Jeannika.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.