Current Page: 14 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: jah ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:10AM

I think the question is not did Ole create a cult with him as the cult leader, but has a cult grown up around him, is he doing something to maintain or reinforce a cult following, and is it harming anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bkalnoky ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:10PM

Absolutely right, jah, probably the best way to put the question.

I've been wondering wether there has been any professional opinion about this, maybe rrmoderator could help with sources.

Is it a cult, I think it"s a bordercase, and it probably didn"t start out as such.

But a few criteria do stick - there is a strong personality cult, and I guess the sexual bits may pass as sexual exploitation (he once seems to have bragged he had hundreds of women) and the monwey raising, although voluntary, may be called economic exploitation.

But I do not see any intimidation and inasmuch as there is brainwashing, it"s rather "soft".

Boris

Posted by: jah ()
Date: December 19, 2008 12:56AM

I think Ole's sexual escapades are irresponsible and immature. Preaching free love is one thing but the fact is he is in the position of power, he is the teacher, the lama, the authority and so forth and there is a vulnerability not being respected when sex play comes into it. He is deluded if he thinks there his position of power is not being exploited by him when he sleeps with students. If he wants to be the CEO, that's one thing. But has set himself up as a Lama - a person people are led to believe is responsbile for their 'salvation.'.

Posted by: Outsider ()
Date: December 19, 2008 04:17AM

Cult or no Cult, sex abuse or no sex abuse, DW has a 'founder and director' or may we use the term leader, this is made clear on the DW home page. Any institution led in an irresponsible manner will be riddled with irresponsible acts as they are considered acceptable. This, as mentioned earlier on in these threads is where DW raises question marks and concerns amongst some.
I am not saying that everything should be orderly, ruled, or boring, the fact is those wishing to be or willing to be will be led by whatever means, and this is where Nydahl and his teachers take advantage of their positions. I've said this before, schools are regulated, movements such as DW are not, why are schools regulated, stops corruption and abuse, schools teach, DW proclaims to teach.

Posted by: darren c ()
Date: December 19, 2008 06:01AM

Oh come on guys quit beating a dead horse.

All Diamondway centers are under the spiritual guidence of the 17th Karmapa Trinlay Thaye Dorje.

[www.karmapa.org]

Posted by: Emma C ()
Date: December 19, 2008 06:26AM

I have noticed Diamond Way members always use that phrase "under the spiritual guidance of", as if it's been regurgitated from somewhere. The fact remains that while the groups may be "under the spiritual guidance" of Thaye Dorje, they were founded, and are run by Ole Nydahl.

So, discussing the fraud, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, extortion, brainwashing, cult of personality and more occurring in Diamond Way groups is 'beating a dead horse'? Don't be ridiculous.

Posted by: darren c ()
Date: December 19, 2008 06:55AM

Emma C
I have noticed Diamond Way members always use that phrase "under the spiritual guidance of", as if it's been regurgitated from somewhere. The fact remains that while the groups may be "under the spiritual guidance" of Thaye Dorje, they were founded, and are run by Ole Nydahl.

So, discussing the fraud, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, extortion, brainwashing, cult of personality and more occurring in Diamond Way groups is 'beating a dead horse'? Don't be ridiculous.

The "phrase you are refering to is right there on the karmapa main web site. You still have not produced any proof to back up your claims of abuse against a organization that has been around for close to 40 years.I would think if your "claims" were true there certainly be alot more people commenting on this forum.

Date: December 20, 2008 01:51AM

Scientology has been around for 60 years or so. The length of time an organisation exists for means nothing. The evidence presented in this article by me and others suggests that Diamond Way is a harmful cult. Please read this topic from the beginning and you will see.

Now, enough of your bait and switch tactics, where were we?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:52AM

To whom it may concern:

There are supporters of "Diamond Way" that seem to be attempting to overwhelm this thread.

Please understand that rants, personal attacks and repeated posts will not be approved and appear.

Also, if this type of posting continues those responsible will be banned from the board per the rules.

Date: December 22, 2008 05:27AM

Found this interesting article, which I feel describes Diamond Way spot on!!
[www.buddhistchannel.tv]

Current Page: 14 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.