> The process of initiation is they're to create
> hierarchy and Status. No matter how you slice it,
> the most unqualified people have more status
> within the group if they are initiated. This done
> creates a sense of tension. As there are many non-
> initiated folks who are 1000 fold more committed
> in various aspects of the mission then certain
> initiated disciples are.

Here it should be recalled that Siddhaswarupananda explained what the initiation process is. And this is not formalism but the actual acceptance of the person as a Guru. He also mentioned that he noticed that uninitiated students tried harder than initiates. During the perturbation with the departure of SIF Poland members to another sanga (the specific circumstances are not completely known to me), the question arose as to how SIF Poland adheres to the traditional initiation process with initiation of hari-nama, diksha and then brahmin-initiation.

What caught my attention and raised doubts very quickly are the so-called recommendations for initiation. In Poland, it was such that a person who wanted be initiated by Siddhaswarupananda had to to write a letter and get recommendation of another initiated disciple. I don't remember the details well. I remember that this just raised my doubt, because in this way selection for a higher caste or creation of a party hierarchy could take place. At some stage the so-called the recommendations were dropped, but I did not know the details.

> Butler went through many
> phases where he would initiate many people all at
> once and other times where he would hold off on
> initiating people who are within his group for
> many many many years. Needless to say, it was
> confusing for some of those devotees because they
> always felt that they were doing something wrong,
> or that they had committed some sort of an
> offense. But obviously there was no explanation
> ever offered to such people and they simply
> floundered.

I don't remember another explanation of why this was happening and rules were changing to the SIF Poland community. It should be remembered that in SIF Poland, the initiates may not have given all the lectures or letters to the "smaller sheep". Once it was said on a retreat that people were forbidden to listen to certain lectures or to have copies of them. One devotee asked Balakhilya das if he could listen, especially since he had all the copies and the answer was "yes, he can".

There are cases in Poland where the women involved from the early days of SIF Poland, who were very devoted students, were not initiated and there was a refusal. This aroused a great surprise or disappointment among her friends. The question, however, arose such that perhaps a formal initiation for that person would be detrimental because of false or party prestige. The symptoms were such that she looked depressed. In turn quickly another person the initiation of about whom seriously professionally engaged people in technical activities judged that "he has two left hands". This person was, however, covered by "caste care", ie due to his involvement in preaching, he was supported by verbalized expectation, eg for financial support. It was visible. It looked weird.

> Naturally, and in due course, such
> people felt the need to seek out guidance and
> shelter in other groups. When such an event
> happened, these folks would be harshly
> excommunicated from Butler's group. I think that
> in initiating younger people, Butler was looking
> to add new life and blood to the organization.
> It's suited his purposes in modernizing his
> mission. These young recruits were Savvy on the
> internet and were able to take on mass overhaul
> projects of Science of identities various websites
> and social media Outlets. The older devotees then
> lost their usefulness.

Yes, there were signs of a utilitarian approach to students in Poland. Those who were not fully engaged fell in the classification. That was a surprise, because there was a lecture by Siddhaswarupananda, where he clearly stated that students who with utilitarianism treat other devotees are wolves in sheep's clothing. This increased the impression that theory is one thing and practice is another and it is increasingly moving to reach the heights of sectarian hypocrisy.

> The rest of them seem to have become Bots for the
> Tulsi campaign.

Bots for the Tulsi Gabbard campaign are also a big surprise for me, because again I remind you that there is a question about the giant karma associated with responsibility for millions of stray animals in US slaughterhouses - according to the philosophy, this responsibility falls on those in power or involved at various stages of animal exploitation

Returning to older devotees, e.g. Balakhilya das and earlier material, which I have refrained from publishing the analysis, one element is visible. During the dialogue, Balakhilya das mentions at some point that even living on a lonely island will not provide peace from stress. At this point he becomes joyful. I bet that because of the fact that he is talking to a nice, warm woman devotee from Ukraine, this vision is quite captivating. I bet he would prefer to live with a serious warm woman devotee on a desert island, work together, chant the Holy Name, worship God, do kirtans for monkeys and trees and thus make a life together and return to God than live in a civilization, deal with claims women or give lectures that are too general, no discussion with pandits for the benefit of the listeners etc.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 05:24AM by DaWatcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: DaWatcher ()
Date: January 19, 2020 05:22AM

IanKoviak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my own situation I was very fearful initially
> to speak out against this group/butler. It was not
> till I started to study vaishnava history,
> mythology and had been through similar group
> dynamics in other groups that I started to gain
> some courage. My childhood was lost and I felt a
> deep anxiety about what I had gone through. Once
> this forum, and various other blogs came around
> mirroring my experience and then Gralows
> journalism, I had already made my peace with the
> nonsense I was fed.

I have a similar experience.

> A funny story: in the 80s, purushottam das bishop,
> bhalakilya das and a few senior devotees thought
> it a fun idea to bring up tulsi leaves and smoke
> them. This is when we were told that butler was
> nityananda and katyayani was mother yashoda.
> Needless to say, this kakamani idea was smashed by
> butler. Though senior devotees did continue to
> drink near beer like oduells.

When it comes to Polish funny stories, rhymes are examples:

- Bhakta nie bhakta - licza sie fakta.

meaning: Whether he is a devotee or not, facts matter.

- Sila ducha, potem grucha

meaning:

We can talk about spiritual force and declared freedom from sex desires, but it ends with masturbation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 05:26AM by DaWatcher.

Date: January 19, 2020 10:11PM

Of course, these two rhymes must be apologized, for what I do.

One should also take into account the influence of a bad relationship (matriarchy) on party mentality and wrong selection of mantras. Or chanting them in the right mood or stage. Especially the Maha-Mantra and Gayatri-Mantra issues.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 10:14PM by DaWatcher.

Posted by: IanKoviak ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:33AM

The mantras are described as all powerful, there should be little to few excuses for them to work or not. In other words, intent, mood, etc, are shown in many vedic stories to have no influence over the mantras efficacy. Yet we are told thier effect is hinged upon just about every rule under the sun. Just like butler will not eat a meal unless 8 pages of rules are followed. It negates the so called simple method of thr so called yoga dharma: just chant and be happy. This phrase dissolves into a idealist pleasantry only a childlike brain would take seriously.

The whole spiritual endeavor of the butler group et al is a process if mental masturbation. A process is only as powerful as its ease of application and visible efficacy. Neither are true for Butlers group. Abstract and irrational rules abound, stories and myths and philosophical mumbojumbo fill devotees heads with little function beyond confusion and endless questions and waters down answers. Everyone becomes an apologist and no one takes any responsibility. Bureaucracy and ardouse hierarchy abound leaving the average person wondering what's so spiritual about all of this?

My advice: show your true surrender to the so called holy name by accepting life as your guru and chanting regardless of and rules. Myths and philosophy. If the name is powerful it will reveal and clarify all questions. That is the meaning of power. Not more complexity and hokuspokus, flip flop of why it works or does not work.

There are few if any gurus that will mot eventually reveal thier very human flaws. In fact the scriptures abound in prostitute gurus, butcher gurus etc. Etc. Guru tattva is that guru is everywhere already. So surrender to the guru of life, chant gayatri and meditate on it's simple concept and live life free and simple.

Butler always stated the importance of having a living spiritual master. In reality, however, it is the message of the spiritual path that is of importance not a personality from whom it comes. In fact, what good is the guru who is inaccessible anymore a dead guru? Making one's connection to a Divinity dependent on the living embodied person somehow negates the very concept of spiritual life. And of course, this is the problem with the Pope, brahmanism and any number of systems that claim their success and dependents on a personality. A human. Spiritual Master comes in many forms sometimes seemingly less-than-ideal, give their respect for the knowledge they offer for the person they are I take my water from many cups, it would be foolish to use just one cup let alone worship it. Its the water I need, not the cup. Therein lies the beauty of India's ancient philosophical and spiritual pluralism. Of all spiritual systems to rise out of India, doctor was the one that fought mostly against this hierarchy of brahmanism. Yeah then the last five hundred years or so it has again become influenced by the very Dogma it fought so hard to weed out.

In fact, when the spiritual Master dies, many devotees who have developed the sort of Personality worship mentality surrounding their Guru feel like they've been unplugged from the wall. Party mentality ensues and eventually you have something that is just the same as Christianity and Islam and any other religion that retroactively holds a particular spiritual teacher in eternal regard as a link to divinity. This happened in iskcon as well. And all the other gaudiya groups. Needless to say, this party Spirit resulted if anybody's refusing to get guidance and support elsewhere. They feel their advancement is reliance and dependent upon the external Mission or organization of the Guru. And then, typical materialistic considerations of loyalty take hold. 20 Generations from now, they will still be saying "prabhupada said...". And two newcomers, they will quickly sweep under the rug any collectors or incongruent statements she may have made about women, blacks, homosexuals, Islam, science Etc. And in this way, a system of secrecy, cheating and artificial hierarchy is born to manifest as some new religion. Instead of continuing to vigorously study the scripture and take it apart and put it back together again and get further guidance and understanding various spiritual topics, they become locked in a singular mode of thinking. Brainwashing at its best. An entire generation of kids is born who will no longer ask any questions and simply accept the built-in mistakes of the previous generation. At that point a deeply-rooted fanaticism culture develops which is extremely hard to adjust and weed out without much fanatical opposition.

When this happens, Butler's marriage to White Lana, is financially fraudulent business enterprises, hodgepodge spiritual teachings all become part of his Lila. Just like with the Gods, we consider that their stories of sexist heroism, violence, contradictory and less than Savory Behavior are to be considered somehow transcendental.

There is nothing transcendental about a group of men sitting around and chanting bfervantly in the hope of realizing their true spiritual form as a twelve-year-old maidservant of Krishna in an eternal slice of Indian Land somewhere beyond our purview. Meanwhile, back on Earth, they perpetuate systems of hierarchical spiritual oppression, power and control.

Spiritual life is a personal Journey, not a personality worship Journey.

Date: January 20, 2020 01:39AM

The aura and function of charisma is that it dictate we put all of our spiritual eggs in one basket. What happens when that basket is moldy, cracked, and full of holes, but still looks good from some angles? The personality Adept at wielding charismatic power is always going to try to show the nicer side of the basket. The Hallmark of humilty would dictate that they show us the whole damn basket, and apologize for leading us astray. And then, using whatever remaining Charisma they have left, they would instruct their followers to seek out better baskets.

Date: January 20, 2020 07:40PM

IanKoviak Wrote:
> The mantras are described as all powerful, there
> should be little to few excuses for them to work
> or not. In other words, intent, mood, etc, are
> shown in many vedic stories to have no influence
> over the mantras efficacy.

Mantras work. The question is what is the action. Let's take the Maha Mantra

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Hare Hare

When Rama is Rama and when is Balarama? What does Lord Rama? Who is His companion, who is He fighting with and why is He fighting?

Caitanya Mahaprabhu recommends congregational chanting of the Holy Name.

What about chanting individually? What preceding mantras? Respectful obeisances to Acaryas?

> Yet we are told thier
> effect is hinged upon just about every rule under
> the sun. Just like butler will not eat a meal
> unless 8 pages of rules are followed. It negates
> the so called simple method of thr so called yoga
> dharma: just chant and be happy. This phrase
> dissolves into a idealist pleasantry only a
> childlike brain would take seriously.

If we assume from Bhagavad Gita that matter is like a machine, it is not surprising.

Who in the Gaudiya tradition receives Gayatri Mantra for chanting? Why?

> The whole spiritual endeavor of the butler group
> et al is a process if mental masturbation. A
> process is only as powerful as its ease of
> application and visible efficacy. Neither are true
> for Butlers group. Abstract and irrational rules
> abound, stories and myths and philosophical
> mumbojumbo fill devotees heads with little
> function beyond confusion and endless questions
> and waters down answers. Everyone becomes an
> apologist and no one takes any responsibility.
> Bureaucracy and ardouse hierarchy abound leaving
> the average person wondering what's so spiritual
> about all of this?

My experience is different. My experiences are mixed up. Maximum controversial. "Misra".

But I will refer later to the things you raised. These are very important issues and I am not clear.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 07:45PM by DaWatcher.

Date: January 20, 2020 09:44PM

In the meantime, let me remind you three more points noted:

1) the phrase "Samaveda Bhakta Vrindam" was noted in the words of respects payed during Arati.
The question arose, why pay respect only to one of the Vedas? And wasn't it a coincidence that it was a writing mistake and should be "samavetah" or "gathered" as in verse 1 of Bhagavad Gita

2) During the retreats on the folding posts / cuboids around which devotees danced, various pastimes of Lord Krishna and devotees were visible. In one sense, it could correspond to the attractions of different people for various pastimes or the Lord's Forms. For me it was a bit uncomfortable confusion.

3) One year there was a dilemma regarding the wholesale purchase of 3D Form of the Lord. The question arose as to the individual attraction and relationship of a devotee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 09:45PM by DaWatcher.

Date: January 21, 2020 02:24AM

In the end, as you can see from your comments here dewatcher, there are way too many inconsistencies and conundrums that can arise from practitioner to practitioner that no group could possibly answer and satisfy. Yet, without clarification on so many fronts, most devotees are left in a state of mental chaos regarding the philosophy, mythology, rituals and practices. To solve this paradox and mess, most girls and seniors will ask that devotees simply accept things as they are and continue chanting. Obviously the contradictions in anomalies found in the Bhagavad Gita or just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many fundamental incongruences spanning all of the Vedic works as well as contemporary spiritual variants on the teachings.

This in turn leaves the devotee in a childlike state of reliance on the group. Within the group it makes sense and feel okay because everyone around you is also blindly following and turning off their mind.

I agree that mantras have some ability to focus the mind if practiced properly. But most devotees take it at face value. The actual combination of syllables in some way equate spiritual progress. Nothing could be further from the truth. As you mentioned, it is about intent. So, if the practitioner is chanting with the intent to become increasingly devoted in service and mind to their crooked spiritual teacher, guess what? That is what they will get. If one approaches a spiritual life with the understanding that no Miracle or great Enlightenment will happen anytime soon and that they will need to rigorously study the scriptures and perhaps even cross reference with other scriptures as well as hear from various teachers in order to find something that corresponds with their level of understanding. So, it is a very personal self discipline. Unfortunately in the west most if us want a simple sugar pill to solve all our problems. Chant and be happy.

Date: January 21, 2020 03:18AM

Surely the congregational chanting of the Holy Name - Maha Mantra, with the respectful mantras to the Acaryas of the Parampara and the Sri Panca-Tattva mantra Maha Mantra work and bring benefits. My hard experience in the situation of realizing that the worldly dirt both in the mind and heart, allowed me to appreciate the Force of Life - Caitanya. Personal experience of bright light in the darkness of the state. Anyway I can see it as worth of noting.

IanKoviak Wrote:
> In the end, as you can see from your comments here
> dewatcher, there are way too many inconsistencies
> and conundrums that can arise from practitioner to
> practitioner that no group could possibly answer
> and satisfy.

The problem i saw was no desire to solve it. Maybe I was not much determined to communicate it. Probably i would be classified as heretic or iconoclast. Mr. Messer.

> This in turn leaves the devotee in a childlike
> state of reliance on the group. Within the group
> it makes sense and feel okay because everyone
> around you is also blindly following and turning
> off their mind.

True, but the benefit from the congregational chanting of the Holy Name, Guru's teachings, scriptures reading is present - as i experienced.

> I agree that mantras have some ability to focus
> the mind if practiced properly. But most devotees
> take it at face value. The actual combination of
> syllables in some way equate spiritual progress.
> Nothing could be further from the truth. As you
> mentioned, it is about intent.

If you recall the teachings of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, he is talking about healthy cells in the mind / brain. Considering whether or accepting the existence of three modes of material nature, satva, rajas, tamas, one must also take into account the properties/effects of the force under which he is in control. Take, for example, a look at the schools of Buddhism - here is a comparison of schools (in Polish):

[pl.wikipedia.org]

Buddha swung the Dharma wheel three times. I have not found an english translation.

Translation (Google Translate)
Today, Buddhism is divided into three great traditions: Theravada (Sanskrit Sthaviravada), Mahayana (Great Way), and Vajrayana (Diamond Way). They correspond to the so-called Three Turns Dharma Wheel, or three cycles of teachings that the Buddha gave during his life. The following tables contain the basic differences and doctrinal and cultural similarities of the traditions of the Great and Diamond Way.

Studying this comparison lets you suspect that these are the next stages of spiritual realisation connected with changing the influence of three modes of material nature. A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami mentioned about coming out of the mode of ignorance to passion, the passion for goodness and then avoiding the mode of passion and ignorance.

Either way, as one of the SIF Poland students who went to another sanga said, the spiritual development train should move on two rails - studying scripts and chanting / practical engagement(seva). I will not give you the exact sound.

> So, if the
> practitioner is chanting with the intent to become
> increasingly devoted in service and mind to their
> crooked spiritual teacher, guess what? That is
> what they will get.

The teaching is, that benefit comes out of speaking transcendental sound and / or listening to it. An advantage for both the speaker and the listener, where not every person will be qualified to become a speaker / teacher.

As for the sincerity of the student's approach to either listening or serving the Guru - a transparent medium - it is a matter of introspection. He will not cheat on 3 modes of material nature. The attempt to exceed your abilities with the destruction of your health will be in the tamas category and the attempt to e.g. get a clap in the sand by being 'serious' will be in the 'rajas' category.

> If one approaches a spiritual
> life with the understanding that no Miracle or
> great Enlightenment will happen anytime soon and
> that they will need to rigorously study the
> scriptures and perhaps even cross reference with
> other scriptures as well as hear from various
> teachers in order to find something that
> corresponds with their level of understanding. So,
> it is a very personal self discipline.

Job to do

> Unfortunately in the west most if us want a simple
> sugar pill to solve all our problems. Chant and be
> happy.

Sankirtan is the answer. But effort is innevitable. But humble effort.

My experience and not only mine was that the naimittika dharma not suited to individual gun became a problem. This was noticed by several independently studying the subject, in particular one devotee, who studied the subject of 3 modes of material nature for 20 years being a member of SIF Poland and at some point - with anxiety but still humbly - enlightened me.

The late lectures were also beneficial on that particular subject.

Of course, reading different scriptures, the question arises of the authenticity of their author's realisation, verification using sanskrit dictionary, instructions, logic or understanding the meaning of reductionisms.

Was this devotee respected from his studies on the three gunas? Not really.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 03:40AM by DaWatcher.

Date: January 21, 2020 04:08AM

It is also necessary to cite the story of another devotee who, due to various perturbations, was excluded in one way or another from SIF Poland sanga - i do not remember the exact details of the exclusion. Nevertheless, he was publicly presented to another sanga community by the famous Acarya as not-formally-initiated however still a Brahman.

An interesting phenomenon is the expectation that everyone who left the given Sanga should be treated as those who abandoned the "only way to God", got involved orgies, used drugs, smoked cigarettes, etc. I experienced one such suggestion - not very serious. No, I didn't smoke. In fact, I've never had attractions for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.