Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: FormerSelf ()
Date: September 23, 2013 06:48AM

Vera City
So what finally tipped you off and how did you escape after eight years?
I became persona non grata, Siddha telling people not to associate with me. Essentially being shunned. I saw the fear in other devotees' eyes whenever I came close. Nobody wanted to incur Siddha's wrath by being guilty by association. So I went to see Siddha about it. I mean, I was one of the core original group at Kololau so I figured it was worth a shot. I went to the condo where I heard he was staying. While walking through the parking garage of the condo he was staying in, he came down to the parking area, not knowing I was there. When we saw each other, I bowed down to pay my obeisances. When I started to get up, I saw his back as he was scurrying away from me. At that moment I was liberated. Never looked back. A while later, Alan Yoza called me to see if I had gone insane yet. I think he was truly curious, because everyone knows you go insane when you offend the pure devotee. I told him everything was fine, life had never been better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vera City ()
Date: September 23, 2013 02:50PM

FormerSelf
Vera City
So what finally tipped you off and how did you escape after eight years?
I became persona non grata, Siddha telling people not to associate with me. Essentially being shunned. I saw the fear in other devotees' eyes whenever I came close... I bowed down to pay my obeisances. When I started to get up, I saw his back as he was scurrying away from me. At that moment I was liberated. Never looked back. A while later, Alan Yoza called me to see if I had gone insane yet. I think he was truly curious, because everyone knows you go insane when you offend the pure devotee. I told him everything was fine, life had never been better.

Oh Lordy! [sarcasm] What did you do!? What Mad Elephant did you let loose!?

Actually,you are very, very fortunate.

Yours is not the first story I have heard of people bowing down and HE scurries or flat walks away...and when your head is raised up it's like WTF!? Where'd he go? Why? What'd I do?
Sometimes an insult would float out of his mouth trailing behind his back, especially if he was accompanied by one of his senior buds or groomable followers.

Were you around when the toenail clippings and foot water soup were introduced as prasadam?

You may appreciate some of the following Siddhaisms compiled by someone on this forum years ago. But they bear repeating. Perhaps you are familiar with a few?

Siddhaisms
"You are all demons, you are just like fucking ISCON, You’re all
condemned!!!"
"I am not condemning you, you are condemning yourself."
"My Godbrothers in Iskcon are clumps of dog stool."
"If I don’t want to answer you, you are at fault not me."
"If you don’t know you are not supposed to know."
"Tell that asshole the only way he can come to a gathering is if he pays 100
dollars each time."
"Tell asshole I changed my mind, he has to pay 1,000 dollars every gathering
he comes to."
"As soon as you realize you have nothing to offer me and you don’t know
anything maybe then I can teach you something."
"It is your fault, the guru is faultless."
"My disciples make me sick."
"You would think with 25 kitchen servants and 35 preparations a day,
spending over a hundred dollars a meal, you assholes could make something
good to eat. Instead I have to go to a Chinese restaurant to get a bite to
eat. A-holes!!!'"
"You fool don’t say the metal detectors are to detect guns, say they are to
detect beeper watches, you know what a great offense it is to wear one near
me. Oh I am so irritated by that sound!!!"
"Damn it keep your gun in your bead bag. That’s what it is for idiot!! You
probably thought you were supposed to keep beads in that bag. Fool!!! I
have to teach you guys everything!!!"
"WTF is asshole doing here, tell him to get the fuck out of here."
"Tell Jivan I don’t want to see his face, but because I have to talk to him
and deal with him, he can wear a bag over his head, then I don’t have to
see his face."
"I am more humble than anyone, even my own guru."
"Damn bogus guru! They all have guruitis."
"My disciples all have guruitis too!!!"
"My disciples are all fucking neophytes."
"Everyone has guruitis but me and VD."
"Insulting VD is worse than insulting me you idiot."
"Are those a-holes still running that store in Lahaina, why don’t they give
it to DTE, a-holes--- and they call themselves my disciples make all kinds
of money while their kids skate and surf, a-holes, they should give it to
me."
"WTF!!!!.. you guys have been working on getting this house together for 6
weeks now. You expect me to live here after you shit all over it??? You
missed a space there dumb shit, cover it with tin foil so I can live here
in peace. Straighten out your germ mask idiot."
"Tell Sankirtan das to stay out of my house, he has dirt between his toes."
"Tell Wayne and Krishna das, WTF, I let them get into politics and now they
act just like politicians!!!! They became politicians those buttheads!!"
"I let my disciples dress like karmis and materialist and now they act like
karmis and materialists, assholes."
"Call the head of personal service, everyone fast for 6 months, the milk in
the refregerator is out of date. Call a meeting world wide. Tell the head
of personal service to get her ass here right now!! WTF is this hair doing
in my soup gaddamit. Tell everyone fast for a year, six months is too
lenient. Tell the head of personal service not only must she fast from food
and water she has to fast from sleep too!!!” Get that shit out of here,
you call that prasadam, assholes!!!” Everyone is fined 1,000 dollars each.!!!"
"You spend a fucking 100,000 dollars on this air machine and I still have to
use an oxygen bottle, can’t you guys do anything right??"
"What you expect me to breathe, common air?? Assholes!!"
"What? Just because you come here and clean my floor and wash my dishes,
eat my toenails and drink my footwater you think you have the right to talk
to me, write me a letter asshole."
"The only person I can trust is VD."
"The guru is never attached to the opposite sex."
"Where is VD, I have not seen her in the last 10 minutes."
"What you think I spend all my time with my wife because I am attached?
Asshole this is pure devotional service, me and VD will serve together in
the spiritual world too you envious snake!!"
"The pure devotee is peaceful and does not need anything or anyones
service, he has Krsna."
"The pure devotee is self satisfied, always peaceful and never troubled by
the duality of the world."
"The servant of Krishna has no enemies."
"What is that Asshole doing here, I told him get the hell out of Hawaii and
go back to New Zealand."
"Ok you can take off the bag now, I think you learned your lesson."

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 23, 2013 09:09PM

Impressive potty mouth.

Crazy wisdom, no doubt.

But a guru can get away with stuff that would get the rest of us spankings.

Thats why so many want to be gurus.

Total power. Zero accountability.

And a retinue of enablers to make excuses for the guru, just as excuses are made when a someone age zero to 18 months screams or leaves doo doo to clean up.

All the perks of adulthood -- money, cars, real estate, cell phones, entourage.

And all the perks of babyhood -- unconditional love, and the allowances made for someone too young to know right from wrong.

In the case of a crazy wisde guru, right and wrong are out of the picture because the guru has supposedly transcended right and wrong.

Yeah, suuuuuure.

Thats an attainment that cannot even be tested because it cannot be proved false.

One takes anothers word for it.

Ones sanity, dignity, relationships, time and money all gambled on something thats merely on someones say so.

That a guru is beyond right and wrong, lets drink the toenail water.

Posted by: FormerSelf ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:02AM

Vera City
Were you around when the toenail clippings and foot water soup were introduced as prasadam?
No, that was after my time. Although, I also remember thinking while I was there that that would be a logical progression of the philosophy. I do remember once, while cooking prasadam, a non-devotee saying negative things about Siddha. I had a knife in my hand and I was debating whether or not I should kill him. I knew that I was supposed to but fortunately I wasn't inclined to do so. If Sudama Vipra was there, he probably would have. Oh, I remember a lecture Sudama Vipra giving on how only the lowest of the low would marry after receiving sanyasi status from Bhaktivedanta. Of course, that was way before Siddha did it.

Date: September 24, 2013 01:38AM

Thank everything that you did not act on that impulse.

Date: September 24, 2013 04:29PM

Ha Ha! Great definition of "GURU":
corboy
All the perks of adulthood -- money, cars, real estate, cell phones, entourage [worshippers, 24/7 slaves, on demand multi-course organic food cooked to perfection, full house air purifying systems, etc.] .

And all the perks of babyhood -- unconditional love, and the allowances made for someone too young to know right from wrong.

Sadly, this is quite simply exactly what happened:

corboy

That's an attainment [pure devotee-hood] that cannot even be tested because it cannot be proved false.

One takes anothers word for it.

Ones sanity, dignity, relationships, time and money all gambled on something that's merely on someones say so.

It is incomprehensibly simple and extraordinary how easily, quickly, and long term people gambled and experimented with their lives based on no real evidence and of something impossible to prove false!

I have heard stories of people leaving careers, college, and families based on dreams or stories of Sai's mystical experiences from old KYC members (and later, myths perpetuated by senior disciples of "Jagad Guru").

They were told to trust in the "lord in the heart" and shastra (scripture), and guru. It was called the three legged stool for a reason... because it was a bunch of sh*t. The stool can not stand on just one or two legs. All three must be in agreement to stand firm. This is considered evidence of truth!?

So feeling high during kirtans and finding a niche where all answers are given and divine promises are assured, is very attractive. Further, a system of positive and negative reinforcement for behaviors pleasing and not pleasing, coupled with the threat of spiritual death, keep the feedback loop going.

Looking back at lost time, money, opportunities, and relationships, exers most often say to me, "How could I have been so stupid not to see or even question!?" "Why did I just trust so blindly?"

Date: September 24, 2013 04:51PM

FormerSelf
I do remember once, while cooking prasadam, a non-devotee saying negative things about Siddha. I had a knife in my hand and I was debating whether or not I should kill him. I knew that I was supposed to but fortunately I wasn't inclined to do so. If Sudama Vipra was there, he probably would have. Oh, I remember a lecture Sudama Vipra giving on how only the lowest of the low would marry after receiving sanyasi status from Bhaktivedanta. Of course, that was way before Siddha did it.

Well, you had two other choices...one to kill yourself, and the other to run away...[sick, but the doctrine]. Of course followers would say that you became contaminated by such an encounter and that is why you left the group. That's another crazy feedback loop they tell each other.

Both Tusta and Sudama (Bhakitvedanta sanyasis) got married after old Sid. Sudama's was not a happy marriage. Can you confirm anything that happened to Sudama?
Here are the rumors:
- Worked as a traffic school teacher
- Stole his son and fled to Canada (complained that his wife was making him a "tilly")
- Had a falling out with Butler and disappeared. Over what? (Butler considered him a "pure devotee" along with Kat).

FormerSelf, How would you advise someone new to the cult or entertaining surrender now?

Date: September 24, 2013 07:27PM

For anyone looking for information on how this happens, there is a book, a memoir, by a neuroscientist, who uses current findings in science to examine his own depression when a teenager and young man--and the effects of the many drugs he took, trying feel better.

Memoirs of My Addicted Brain by Marc Lewis He will tell how he first used alcohol or LSD or cannabis, the circumstances--then take the reader aside and describe how the drug influences brain chemistry and how in turn this affects perceptions, sense of meaning, bonding. He even tells the chemistry of the thrill he felt when, deep in his addiction, he burglarized doctors offices and stole drugs and prescription pads.

Lewis didnt get involved with any gurus. Those interested may find by reading his book how neurochemistry affects our moods and sense of meaning and use that knowledge to re-examine life with the Butler group and other groups, too.

Lewis describes, for intstance, how a sense of meaning and significance are evoked by a specific type of activation in the brain's limbic system.

So...it is interesting that some methods used by cult workshops or gurus create patterns of arousal, giving a charge of signficance to the workshop or guru, even when one cannot quite explain the teaching.

Another thing given to us by Lewis is a very detailed description of Berkeley California in 1967, and the drug/commune scene. A lot of amazing but terrifying stuff went down. And Lewis witnessed tragedy.

Ive been recently looking at a book that gives a history of San Francisco's Haight Ashbury District, a history of the Free Clinic, in a book entitled Love Needs Care.

The hippie life could be grim and dangerous and involve people in shameful things.

Perhaps many came to crave some sort of purification/absolution, but didnt want to use the terminology of sin, or repentance, as those were from religions many had rejected.

And..many in the scene were still so young that perhaps self reflection and applied insight were difficult.

So a movement that emphasized purification, purity, and that linked all such healing to hte idealized image of a guru (Prabhupada and later Butler) might have been a way for some very wounded young persons to glue themselves together and yet still feel themselves to be counter culture...better than returning to the hated bourgeois homestead of Mom and Dad with one's tail between one's legs.

*(And, sadly, turns out Prabhupada was as or more materialistic for money as the worst of the Establishment the hippies professed to have rejected)

But if one merely substituted the devotion to the guru (a process addiction) and kirtan and chant bliss for ones previously tripping out on drugs, that would not have applied insight. It would just have given a new trigger for brain chemistry to make one feel good and, as Vera reminded us, a social feedback loop to reinforce the cult package.

So that could have been another ingredient. Seeing and perhaps being involved in some dangerous and shameful things during ones time in the hippie scene and then linking ones sense of purification and healing and salvation to an idealized guru/parent figure.

All the threats that if one disobeys the guru and leaves, one will go insane might have carried a quite potent charge for persons who, for some reason, felt themselves on the brink of insanity when they first met the guru.
---------------------------

Back to Memoirs of My Addicted Brain

Lewis' mini course on dopamine is worth reading by anyone exposed to advertising or sales pitches. Dopamine elicits craving and forward action. "Dopamine gives thrust' Lewis tells us, succinctly. Anyone trying to stay sober and sane amid advertising and guru seducation needs to know this.

Anyone here who has been in a guru led group, a workshop or come home with consumers regret, will learn a lot.
--------------------------------------------------

Date: September 24, 2013 07:49PM

Corboy Emphasis: This is an illustration of how many Hindu audiences accept a story or metaphor as proof. And how common this is.

And how the same stoy will be used by different teachers, very likely ISKON and Butler and others.

Please let us stay focused on the matter of how vulnerable we are when we accept a clever charming story as proof.

*his is not a cue to get into long, irrelevant discussions about a favorite guru.*

It will be interesting to see if Butler exploited the snake and rope story. Because-this is commonplace.

And now, sadly many in the West are being taught to think as peasants by accepting arguements based on metaphor/story, rather than evidence.

A heavy thing by which to hand over money and sanity and dignity.

Vera City wrote:

They were told to trust in the "lord in the heart" and shastra (scripture), and guru. It was called the three legged stool for a reason... because it was a bunch of sh*t. The stool can not stand on just one or two legs. All three must be in agreement to stand firm. This is considered evidence of truth!?

(Glum)

This is called using analogy as proof. This is not acceptable in Aristotelian logic.

But it is actually a normative part of sermonizing in much of Indian culture. Agehananda Bharati, ) but he gave many satsangs in private houses, both in cities and in villages.

He tells us this:

I have found among all strata of Hindu laity in pursuit of some religious problem that a persuasive analogy tends to have a greater effect than even wha well reasoned argument when unsupported by a simile or an analogue.

Bharati tells us this about analogy by proof:

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]?

This is correct.

On page 212 of his memoir, The Ochre Robe (which was published in two editions in 1970 and 1980), Bharati describes the snake and rope analogy.

Quote:
T

hus, in explaining the absoluteness of the Brahman and the relativity of the world, the phenomenality of objects, the analogy of the snake and the rope plus two equally simple analogies, have been used without modification, from the Upanisads down to to the present day.

A man sees what he thinks is a snake, and he acts accordingly--he hits it, or he gets afraid, he may even die with terror; but if a clever man directs a light toward the object and makes the man realize it was only a piece of rope, this particular illusion disappears, and questions like when and where did the snake originate? are no longer asked or are asked in a facetitious manner. The snake is (in this analogy) the phenomenal world, the 'rope' the absolute, the Brahman.

I cannot say whether the tedious repetitiveness of these analogies derives from naivete in the Indian scholastic, or whether it is deliberate--in which latter case, it may be well be a formidable instrument of indoctrination.

I have found among all strata of Hindu laity in pursuit of some religious problem that a persuasive analogy tends to have a greater effect than even wha well reasoned argument when unsupported by a simile or an analogue.

'The 'snake' and the 'rope' seemed to convince the Police Inspector and his guests* just as they ahve been convincing learned (Indian) pundits for many centuries.

*(The Police Inspector sponsored a religious gathering to which Bharati was invited to speak.)

(Pages 212-2, The Ochre Robe, by Agehananda Bharati, 1980 edition)

Folks, this snake and rope story is a commonplace in Indian/Hindu teaching stories.

So...anyone on the seekers circuit who has spent time at an ashram would have encountered this very story. For Bharati makes it clear this was a commonplace teachig cliche.

Here are some examples:

Muktananda used the snake and rope metaphor

From the Meditation Revolution

Quote:
"Using the classic Vedantic metaphor, Muktananda likened such ignorance to the misapprehension of a snake in what is in truth a coiled rope"
[books.google.com]

So did Ramana Maharshi:

--------
The World is Unreal

At Ramana Ashram when the Maharshi was alive in physical form, especially when Westerners would come, he would give them a little book. It is only about twelve pages or so, and he would ask them to read it because it contains the essentials of his teaching.

-----------
Quote:
From the 'little book'

I am going to read it and then we can discuss it. Number 4: "When will the realization of the Self be gained?" The Maharshi's answer is, "When the World which is what is seen has been removed there will be Realization of the Self which is the Seer." Number 5: "Will there be realization of the Self even while the world is there?" The answer is simply, "There will not be". "Why?" Maharshi answers, "The Seer and the object seen are like the rope and the snake, -- just as the knowledge of the rope which is the substrate will not arise unless the false knowledge of the illusory serpent goes, so the realization of the Self which is the substrate will not be gained unless the belief that the world is real be removed".

[books.google.com]

[74.125.113.132]

Sri Aurobindo (just read the citations in the search results)

[www.google.com]

MK Gandhi used this snake rope metaphor to teach about sexual restraint.

Quote:
'Mind take a rope to be a snake, and the man with that mentality turns pale, runs away, or takes up a stick to belabour the fancied snake. Another mistakes a sister for wife and has animal passion arising in his breast. The passion subsides the moment he realizes his mistake..

[books.google.com]

So someone who did a layover at an ashram while in their earlier years on the Seekers Circuit would perhaps have a pleasant buzz of famliarity when reading this encounter between BK and her snake.

Hindu monk and Sanscrit scholar Agehananda Bharati was born in Austria and lived in India for years, becoming ordained in 1949. He became proficient enough to teach and lecture to audiences at all levels, from villages to being on faculty at Delhi University and Benares Hindu University. Bharati was often invited to speak at satsangs in pious households.

This bias in which a good story is more persuasive than use of evidence and good reasoning may now have become a widespread bias in Westerners who have been socialized in New Age circles. We are being turned into a hybrid species--wage earners in capitalist society, but under the tutelage of New Wage Brahmins, being skillfully trained to have the mentality of pre-modern peasants who grovel to gurus, lose capacity for abstract and logical thought, and who take metaphors literally.

But the old generation Sanskrit scholars used snake and rope as part of their own tradition of teaching philosophy and logic. This was not used to teach people to zone out.

Unfortunately the Hindu Reform movements tended to be anti intellectual and could and did use these same snake and rope stories to con audiences into accepting a dumbed down version Hinduism in which scholarship and evidence were treated as obstacles to spiritual attainment.
12,12906,74940+snake+and+rope+indoctrination&hl=en&ct=clnk

Date: September 24, 2013 08:17PM

Another continuing education resource -- whether deconstructing the lines of reasoning used by Butler, or his supporters. Useful for tracking output by politicians or others who are caught with hands in the (metaphorical) cookie jar.

A List of Common Fallacies

[www.nizkor.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.