Current Page: 16 of 75
How so many creeps cluster in cults.
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 25, 2019 09:40PM

Note: all this can be very upsetting reading. If you tend to have insomnia, do not read before bedtime.

A person who commented on an article by Matthew Remski on hazards of whistleblowering, wrote:

This is brilliant. I would add a further and very unpleasant dimension.

That some of the people abusing others in high demand groups had already centred on sex offending in their lives, or on other forms of abuse or sadism which they fed on.

These people have sensed the lack of respect and boundaries in high demand groups and purposefully embedded themselves so they could continue to offend, even more easily than before.

So whistleblowers are directly threatening to such offenders, who will fight tooth and nail to destroy the whistleblower so as not to be exposed, or lose their hunting ground.

This is not restricted to the highest leaders, and these types can even become very threatening and violent.

Another reason whistleblowers and survivors are incredibly brave people.

Here is the article.

An article, very informative, by Matthew Remski.

What’s Behind the Blowback You’ll Get When You Engage Cult Members

[matthewremski.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: James Swartz—What is the Truth?
Posted by: MynameisHeather ()
Date: August 26, 2019 01:53AM

Yes zizlz...there is danger in following another person, in the hopes of finding answers to one's questions about life & existence (i.e. spirituality.)

I was 14 years old when I met James Swartz...I was looking for God...I thought JS had the ancient knowledge I was looking for...the "pure" stuff...the "real" thing...and I trusted JS like a father. Bad luck for me.

Over the years I have developed my own personal spirituality & philosophy in which I am self-guided. I do read books and listen to other people's ideas, but I know I'm on this road alone (Hero's journey, if you will...)

Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha is a beautiful tale that illustrates our singular path.

My current practice involves meditation, prayer, yoga, somatic work, and lots and lots of thinking...critical thinking...using my brain...NOT checking out! But checking in...increasing awareness...questioning, not obeying...and thinking things through with my ability to use my rational mind.

Some forms of meditation will have one actually dissociate...so I stay away from all that! And I'm very careful to not become anyone's devotee! That's the oldest trick in the book!

Self-guidance naturally encompasses my acceptance of responsibility in our real world. It's hard work. I don't hand over the job to a guru, so I must do the work myself.

I am very happy to answer any more questions you, or anyone else on this forum, may have for me...regarding my time with James Swartz.

If a question pops up...just ask.

Date: August 26, 2019 02:38AM

Hi Corboy,

Thank you for the link to Remski's article...it is rich with information.

This section caught my attention:

The paradox of being in a group like this is that you are isolated within it.

Alexandra Stein says it this way:

Contrary to the stereotype of cult life, followers are isolated not only from the outside world, but in this airless pressing together they are also isolated from each other within the group. They cannot share doubts, complaints about the group or any attempt to attribute their distress to the actions of the group. At the same time as this isolation from other people – either within or outside of the group – is occurring, there is also a deep loneliness and isolation from the self. The time pressures, sleep deprivation and the erasure of the individual mean there is never any opportunity for solitude – that creative and restful state where contemplation, thinking and the space in which changes of mind might occur can take place. As there is no space between people, neither is there any internal space allowed within each person, for their own autonomous thought and feeling. Thus there is a triple isolation: from the outside world, from others in the group and from one’s own self.

— Terror, Love and Brainwashing: Attachment in Cults and Totalitarian Systems (loc 1835)

The cult member is also aware at some level that they will be punished for leaving. This accounts for the “dread” famously articulated by Langone and others. As the person who stands outside of the cult and seems to offer you a pathway to leaving, you may become the very embodiment of that dread.

I was reminded of the month before I left Swartz, his wife Marlene, and "Sandy" when we were in Montana in his cabin by the river.

I felt so isolated and terrified. I used to take walks up into the woods and sneak cigarettes, and cry, and cry, and cry...

It was my only alone-time where I could have some thoughts to myself. I used to talk out loud to myself...since I was alone in the woods...and I went through a long process of convincing myself I had to leave.

I was terrified to leave. I KNEW something awful would happen to me...I thought I might die. I thought he might kill me.

After having these honest sessions with myself, I would go back down to the main house, and act as though everything was "normal". I was afraid of Swartz...I could never let him know what I was feeling or thinking.

It was anger and hunger that finally gave me the strength to leave. Swartz rationed my food...I wasn't yet making money for the group, and so he rationed my food. Eventually, I was to start stripping to bring in money...but I was still underage...so I couldn't work in the public.

I am so grateful I had healthy anger inside of me...it saved me.

But my angry part was one of many parts inside...and Swartz had control of the other parts. I was 95% victim...but the 5% anger saved me!

When I got the courage to leave, I called my uncle...he wired me money for a Greyhound bus ticket home (Southern California.)

"Sandy" helped me keep it a secret. I packed my suitcase and dragged it on the dirt path...past the main house...to the cable pulley that takes us across the river to the cars on the other side. From there, "Sandy" took me to the bus station...it took 4 days for me to get my grandmother's house in Southern Cal.

Before I made my escape, Swartz was waiting for me...he eyed me from the main house. He had positioned a kitchen chair in the open doorway, his arms folded, and waited for me to walk past him on the dirt path.

I was terrified...I remember my heart pounding in my chest...throat...body. He commanded me to step up and face him. I did. He only said one thing: you are selfish.

You are selfish.

My anger was selfish. My hunger was selfish. My need for protection, support, care, nourishment, all of this was selfish.

My need to not be abused, not be sexually assaulted, not be sexually exploited...all this...selfish.

And so...as this article you provided states...I was a victim...and I have suffered over the years with complex PTSD.

My CPTSD: flashbacks, traumatic body memories, chronic pain, seizures on a daily...yes DAILY level, difficulty with intimacy, wanting to die, wanting to kill myself, mental confusion, easily triggered by multiple words and concepts.

I've had CPTSD for decades now...and through it all I have done so much good in my life. I married a man who is a loving saint...my best friend, I've had children & helped to create an amazing family, I earned 2 university degrees, a career, artistic endeavors, a running group, and I continue to enjoy dance!

It's been a lot of hard, hard, work...and I remain committed to being well...and to have a wonderful life.

Thank you Corboy, and zizlz, and Traveller99, and ALL who have supported me on this thread...on this great website Cult Ed.

I am grateful for the opportunity to share my story...speak truth...and hopefully reach other victims of James Swartz.

Posted by: ReneLL1985 ()
Date: August 26, 2019 04:07AM

please delete this comment. i am did not adress the subject, but the questioni thought was asked. sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2019 04:12AM by ReneLL1985.

Posted by: Russian Fatima ()
Date: August 31, 2019 10:20PM

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the victim of "The Story of Heather" not take James Swartz to court? Even if she doesn't win the case, it could bring to light issues that his fans should probably know.

Or is it not true? Why say that the book is fiction? What would be the harm in just calling it fact? If it really happened, then what's the problem?

Posted by: Traveler99 ()
Date: August 31, 2019 11:40PM

Why not take Swartz to Civil Court? And...

In the above post, Russian Fatima asks "why doesn't the victim of "The Story of Heather" not take James Swartz to court?"

Short answer: Money, time, expense,and, most importantly, the fact that Heather dreads ever seeing the person that she sees as a monstrous malignant rapist ever again. (Only if the fighter in her emerges will she be willing to do that again, and it would take some very stupid moves by James Swartz for that to happen. If he were to threaten her family, her friends, or herself again, then, it would be interesting indeed. The last thing Sweet Baby James would ever want is for Heather to tell her story in public.)

As has been mentioned repeatedly, one of Heather's primary goals is to warn people about what she believes is a terrible person and a utterly false spiritual teacher, James Swartz.

Her other primary goal is to head herself.

The stress of going through a court case with such an abusive, manipulative, and cruel person would be much harder for her than perhaps most of us can even imagine. As mentioned above, it is likely that only James Swartz coming after her or someone she is close to would bring out the fighter in public that some of us have gotten to know in private.

The best chance to get James Swartz to court is for the Feds to investigate his violations of the Mann Act. In fact, Swartz took her from California to Oregon, where he had her strip at a party, and then to Montana. (In the book this was changed to Idaho and Wyoming.) Witnesses to this "performance" could still be found, and simple math would show that she was underage, and traveling with a man in his forties across state lines, when this happened.

The book, "Guru? The Story of Heather," was written as it was for a few reasons. Primarily, back in early 2017 the whole "telling the truth about James Swartz publicly" ordeal had become very hard for Heather. Re-telling the horrible things she remembered was giving it power again, and to say she was experiencing "PTSD" is a severe understatement.(Interestingly, Heather was ahead of the times. The "Me Too" movement didn't take off until about six months after she went public and directly labeled James Swartz as a drugging rapist and as an abysmal "spiritual teacher.")

All of us who help her do nothing against her wishes. So for a while (and with me in particular chomping at the bit to keep letting people know the truth about who I had come to believe was a foul horrible person and putrid sewage as a spiritual teacher) we withdrew everything, even the stories about James Swartz which used pseudonyms for him since Medium.com and others were scared for us to use his real name due to his loud threats about libel charges.

So, for a few months, we sat on our hands.

Then, Heather allowed my request to give Devon Adler all of the articles, all of her written memories, all my research, and (very importantly) copies of all the messages James Swartz had sent to me and to other Heather supporters. Devon proposed writing a book soon after reading everything, but Heather still wanted to maintain a bit of separation. Plus, Swartz was still howling about libel charges.

Given those factors, at the time the "allegation-based fiction" format was the best-case scenario, especially since we all knew that we could reveal James Swartz as the "inspiration" as soon as that was all right with Heather.

And, libel charges be damned. There is no libel if the person is actually guilty, and Swartz is. He's already all but admitted it himself, and in a courtroom, he would lose.

That is why James Swartz is very scared to make any such charges. There is ample evidence that he is guilty. Therefore, to repeat, he'd lose the libel suit, and have publicized the evil truth about himself.

He is horrible, but he's not that stupid.

So, in answer to Russian Fatima's questions, Swartz to Court? That is my dream. Go, Feds!

The book as "allegation-based fiction"? Not anymore. The whole world knows James Swartz was- is - the "alleged" perpetrator.

If James Swartz really wanted to find Heather or her supporters he could. He doesn't because he potentially would be unleashing an angry tigress and a pack of hard-eyed supporters if he did.

Because, to repeat, he's guilty. Every action he's taken, every word he's written, since she went public with her accusations, shows this. Plus, every bit of research I've compiled points to him being one of the worst human beings and utterly false spiritual teachers imaginable.

Date: September 01, 2019 01:51AM

Russian Fatima:

I have not ruled out the idea of facing Swartz in court.

I have a group of supporters who are willing to help me. Some of these people have a genuine and personal interest in seeing Swartz convicted for sexually assaulting me, and grooming me to enter into the sex industry...the disgusting business that he had his "spiritual" family actively engaged in while I knew them.

I was a victim of James Swartz, and now live as a survivor.

My focus right now, is my commitment to my healing, well-being, and to my family.

If the opportunity to face JS in court came up...I would embrace it.

If Swartz wants to try to get me in court on charges of libel...I say--GO FOR IT! I would take it as a universal message for me to continue my fight for freedom, wellness, and survival in a new form. I'm ever ready.

What Swartz never counted on...is that I have a fighter in me.

I'm not afraid of Swartz.

I know how to put my head-forward...and I have an excellent jab, cross, hook, and upper-cut...as well as a phenomenal kidney strike.

Date: September 01, 2019 04:06AM

Typo correction (edit) from my last posted comment:

sex industry should read, sex entertainment industry.

Swartz had his wife Marlene and my friend "Sandy" working in the sex entertainment industry...he was grooming me to enter into that work.

Date: September 01, 2019 04:35AM

Did I mention I have Irish blood?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Russian Fatima ()
Date: September 01, 2019 02:53PM

Thank you very much for the replies.

James Swartz has attracted many people to vedanta, which is a good thing. He has a number of published books, hours of videos for reasonable prices, tons of satsangs that he and his ShiningWorld staff have put countless hours into, at no cost to the people with questions for them. There are hours of free videos on Youtube. Tons of other writing for free at his website and other sources. James also freely refers people to his own guru, Swami Chinmayananda's work, and to Swami Dayananda Saraswati, amongst other learned swamis. I don't think it's right to call him an "utterly false spiritual teacher".

He often warns people that what he teaches is not his teaching, that he doesn't own it, and that all praise goes to the rishis, not to him, and that vedanta is for all of us.

I would say that the average person interested in James Swartz has never heard about the claims regarding him in the Guru? book. If he really was a rapist, then I think these people deserve to know.

Some people DO know about these claims, but I would say that the majority of them don't believe them. Someone with a grudge against him could easily make a story about him that seems believable because there is so much information out there on him, and most of it free. He has an autobiography out there which can be found for free as well.

I think a lot of people would not believe this story if they heard it unless he was actually taken to court.

To me, although it could be completely true, the way that this story is floating around on the internet, not properly published, and has the caveat that it is "fiction", makes it seem doubtful. It looks like the way that someone would try to smear someone's name while avoiding any legal repercussions.

This also seems to be the only claim of wrong-doing on his part. Searching the internet, he seems to have a clean history, and he's been around for decades, so there has been plenty of time for people to say things about him.

Again, I'm not saying that I think the story is necessarily untrue, but there's not a lot saying that it is true either. It can easily be brushed off as something made up against him by someone with a grudge.

If it's true, then I think he should be taken to court. It would take time and money, but wouldn't it be worth it in the end for everyone, including his hundreds, if not thousands, of fans? Waiting for the feds to do something doesn't seem reasonable. Why would they have any reason to do so? Why wait for them?

There are enough people out there interested in James Swartz and in Heather's
story, that he couldn't get away with doing anything bad to you if you took him to court. People would be watching.

Also, if taken to court, then likely a lot more would surface about him which would need to surface, if indeed this is true. It could provide closure for anyone else who may have been abused by him.

Anyway, it's a compelling read, and I'm trying to make sense of it all.

Current Page: 16 of 75

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.