Current Page: 14 of 75
Re: James Swartz—What is the Truth?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 03, 2019 10:01PM

Let us investigate and tread very carefully.

Strange things have been done online to discredit critics of abusives gurus.

I cite the following instances as examples of this behavior in general.

I am not citing these examples to suggest or hazard any guess who is involved with the Cult or Culture site.

Right now, we need to get more information.

(Cue theme theme music from either Dragnet or Perry Mason)

A few years ago on a CEI discussion someone identified an online attempt to steer search traffic away from an Andrew Cohen expose site created by William Yenner, a former Cohen disciple/financial abusee.

[forum.culteducation.com]

The first successul Cohen online expose, the What Enlightenment? blog was published by Hal Black, first editor of What Enlightenment? Andrew Cohen's magazine.

Cohen supporters created a mirror blog in an attempt to steer traffic away from WE blog.

To show how far some persons will go doing smear campaigns against guru busters, remember Joe Moreno.

Joe Moreno (now deceased) defended Sathya Sai Baba, the now deceased Indian pedophile guru.

Moreno troll attacked several important SSB critics, among them Robert Priddy and Kevin Shepherd.

Robert Priddy responded.
[robertpriddy.com]

More here.
[www.exbaba.com]

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 10:11PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Traveler99 ()
Date: August 03, 2019 10:13PM

Thanks, Sahara71, for checking the Culture or Cult website more closely.

Now, as you know, the big question is, assuming that the founder(s) of this website are really after Be Scofield as a primary, or actual sole, "target," is what he/she/they have to say accurate?

Is/are he/she/they correct in what they write about Be Scofield, or not?
--Is Be Scofield guilty of, as a male, raping at least one underage teenager? (Again, shades of James Swartz...)
--Is Be Scofield, as one writer claims, actually acting out as a "Hostile Sociopath"? (Again, the list of traits of a Hostile Sociopath given in that article also quite strongly point to James Swartz.)

In my case, the strongest point for answering "Yes" to those two questions is the threatening e-mail rant that Be Scofield (allegedly) sent to the Culture or Cult site. However, I still have to evaluate things about the alleged rape victim, Erin (as years ago, I needed to about Heather), and I have yet to take a full look at Be Scofield's writings and biographical data to see if the evaluation that casts Be Scofield as a "hostile sociopath" is accurate.

On something I'm sure of, it does seem strange that she is starting to cast her arrows and aspersions at some targets who are not deserving of this treatment. I am far from a fan of Byron Katie. Her "work" does nothing for me. However, she has helped thousands, and I appreciate that. She's just not everyone's cup of tea. Same for Eckhart Tolle. He is not a teacher I resonate with, and his organization seems at times to be made up of a bunch of money-hungry bastards, but he has done nothing "wrong" that I know of, and his message has helped many, many persons. (Not all persons who've been on Oprah are fakes.)

Again, along with the "bad" teachers mentioned by Devon Adler in "Guru? The Story of Heather," (some of whom by worldly standards could be called truly evil), it is only James Swartz who I personally (if for no other reasons, than for what he imparted in his personal messages to me) am sure of as being, by our earthly standards, toilet scum as a teacher and as a man.

I truly wonder, is there any person who has read "Guru? The Story of Heather" while knowing that James Swartz was the actual "teacher" whose alleged acts were the foundation of the book, and who has read the posts on this site, who still believes James Swartz is a worthwhile spiritual teacher?

Date: August 03, 2019 10:16PM

Note: long before Be Scofield published the Medium articles, she
had, years before, emerged as an articulate critic of the culture of
abuse fostered by Ken Wilber, Andrew Cohen, a culture of cruelty enabled by many celebrities in the consciousness scene.

This article is an important read. Anyone who believes in the culture of integral abuse will go from supporting one cruel guru (Andrew Cohen) to another
(Fill in the name here)

INTEGRAL ABUSE
Andrew Cohen and the Culture
of Evolutionary Enlightenment
BE SCOFIELD

[www.integralworld.net]

And Matthew Remski, who is working to reform the yoga meditation industry has credited Be Scofield with having taught him to understand that this abuse is more than one bad apple guru here and there, abuse is supported by social structures and social behaviors, both of which must be examined - and where necessary, dismantled.

Those who enable abuse are part of the problem, too.

The final paragraph of Be Scofield's Integral Abuse article, which called out those luminaries who consented to being interviewed for articles in Cohen's magazine, ends thus:

As Frank Visser says, “Integral confirms integral confirms integral.” I have heard people defend Marc Gafni by stating that Andrew Cohen and Ken Wilber support him. But it actually is a silly game they all play because they all defend and support each other. It goes something like this. Patten, Hamilton, Gafni and Wilber support Cohen. Cohen, Wilber, Hamilton and Patten support Gafni. Cohen, Gafni, Hamilton and Patten support Wilber. Wilber and Cohen support Patten and Hamilton. Wilber and Patten support Adi Da….etc. And they all appear on each others integral programs, websites, conferences, book chapters, magazines and platforms. Among the various offerings is Integral Life Practice, Integral Naked, Integral Institute, Integral Spiritual Center, Integral Enlightenment, EnlightenNext magazine…etc. And as Yenner notes above, they seem to employ the same tactic: surrounding themselves with other luminaries, celebrities, and public faces who agree with them and provide much needed support. If all of these amazing people support Cohen he must be ok, right? Nowadays it seems all you have to do is add the word integral in front of something to boost its credibility. Add the word integral and you have a sexy and attractive product ready to be sold to eager spiritual seekers who are hungry for idealism and more purpose in life. The whole thing equates to a very large money making machine.

I want to be clear that this article is not an attack on integral theory or the nature of the teachings that many of the people here offer. I am a fan of integral theory in general—not of the Wilber sort, but the principle behind it. One can recognize that many of these teachers have said wise things while simultaneously being aware of their shortcomings.

Is it wrong to call out Cohen’s enablers? Is it wrong to expect them to break the silence on Cohen’s legacy of abuse, manipulation and cultish behaviors? In the face of the sadistic acts of Cohen isn’t it problematic when Wilber says “Cohen is here to tear you into a thousand pieces?” What about accountability? Responsibility? Ethics?

I would never appear on a program with Cohen, Wilber or Gafni let alone work with them. And if I was in a position of power as Cohen’s friends and supporters Ken Wilber, Craig Hamilton, Terry Patten, Marc Gafni, Genpo Roshi, Diane Hamilton are I would speak out against him.

Do they deny the multiple, disturbing claims made by former disciples of Cohen? Or do they merely brush it aside as “Crazy Wisdom?”

How can someone like Craig Hamilton continue to praise Cohen given the overwhelming evidence against him? After spending fifteen years with Cohen I suspect that Hamilton is still in Cohen’s cult trance.

Can Cohen’s supporters be deemed legitimate if they are unable to call out his abusive, manipulative and sadistic behavior? There is really no excuse for the silence because it only enables Cohen further. In a post-Jonestown and present day Catholic Church scandal era we simply cannot afford their silence.

I doubt any accountability will be had because this particular integral community is a family of “evolutionary thinkers,” who has discovered a revolutionary truth and will defend it to the end. They simply employ a form of group think that rationalizes, justifies and spins the truth to meet their agreed upon conclusions about each other.

The ultimate irony is of course that these spiritual teachers are supposedly on the forefront of instructing us on how to confront the shadow. However, I won’t take their advice until they confront the very large shadow of Andrew Cohen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 10:26PM by corboy.

Date: August 03, 2019 10:17PM

[culture-or-cult.com]

Culture or Cult’s response:

Be Scofield, we at Culture or Cult are many, and are not intimidated by your efforts in the least manner. We are a free platform provider that offers Journalists and honest reporters an opportunity to write their concerns regarding most any issue that might be of value to our world today. We will also, occasionally, allow private individuals to post their grievances or successes in a free environment, where they will not be censored or threatened by any entity, private, governmental, or commercial, so to bring their story forward. This site is dedicated to the voice that otherwise gets trodden under by the prevailing doctrine that governs our fake news media outlets today.....

We are also not under the sway of US Jurisdiction. Threatening us with nonsensical legal action is of no consequence. We are amply protected under Belgian Law. Before posting any articles, photographs, or recordings from a journalist or writer, we first vet them to see if they are real. We, therefore, require an email and phone number in order to contact, and if necessary, speak with the author. Once we feel satisfied that that person is indeed real, we cross-check to see if the presented article pertains to some form of whistle-blowing or an acceptable cause. We also do not make these decisions singularly, we make them in council, as a group. Our guarantee of absolute privacy is won through securely deleting all of the author’s personal information, including any personal phone records, IP, or email contacts, within a single week after contact. In this way, we assure anonymity, if the author so chooses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 10:25PM by corboy.

Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: August 04, 2019 06:25AM

Hi Traveler99,

please be careful about jumping to conclusions on the basis of evidence set out by one suspicious website.

The tirade against Be Scofield written by a supposed 'clinical psychologist' on 'Culture or cult' reads more like an opinion piece than it does a clinical report from a health professional. I think we all know that while we might love to give opinions - the diagnosis of a psychological disorder, such as being a 'sociopath' requires actual clinical testing, not observing what someone does of does not say in their work as a journalist.

We really don't have a lot to go on. I would just urge caution. We honestly don't know if the person who wrote this piece is a real psychologist or not. They are anonymous and the website they write for seems to be hiding its real intention.

But make up your own mind!

Posted by: Valma ()
Date: August 04, 2019 03:35PM

Sahara71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Traveler99,
>
> please be careful about jumping to conclusions on
> the basis of evidence set out by one suspicious
> website.
>
> The tirade against Be Scofield written by a
> supposed 'clinical psychologist' on 'Culture or
> cult' reads more like an opinion piece than it
> does a clinical report from a health professional.
> I think we all know that while we might love to
> give opinions - the diagnosis of a psychological
> disorder, such as being a 'sociopath' requires
> actual clinical testing, not observing what
> someone does of does not say in their work as a
> journalist.
>
> We really don't have a lot to go on. I would just
> urge caution. We honestly don't know if the person
> who wrote this piece is a real psychologist or
> not. They are anonymous and the website they write
> for seems to be hiding its real intention.
>
> But make up your own mind!

Hi everyone, i share caution displayed by Sahara71. I dont like the total anonymity and strangeness of this website's articles.

THE CULT EDUCATION FORUM has a known reference to which we can turn to: Rick Ross. Unless there is such a real human being brave enough to stand up openly, i dont give any credit to whatever they publish.

I would add that in this cyber age we have to be careful about any information published. There is an excellent book written by David Colon (PROPAGANDA) on mass manipulation that explains how now war is mainly made through information (false, fake, constructed etc.) spread through social medias to destroy a human or nation target or manipulate by for example instilling doubt in public opinion. So let's be extra careful in any published information we find on the net and ponder about the truth or untruth hidden in it.

Posted by: Traveler99 ()
Date: August 04, 2019 10:22PM

Warnings Received and Heard -- Thank You

First, many thanks to Valma, Sahara71, and Corboy for the above posts.

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

As of this moment, I've made no decision regarding Be Scofield as related to the rape charges or the "Hostile Sociopath" diagnosis.

I've also called her "rant" sent to the Culture or Cult folks "alleged."

In fact, when I first read "Erin"'s account, I mentioned to a friend (the beautiful woman in the Himalayas) that this could be real, OR it could be a clever fake piece. (I mentioned to her that I could write up the same type of piece with her as the culprit, if she wished, just to show how easy it would be to do, but she declined my offer).

I also wondered about the "professional diagnosis" of Be Scofield. It could be "right on" OR it could be as twisted a slam of Be Scofield as Be Scofield is accused of doing to others herself in that article.

Was the "rant" even real? It almost seemed too much like James Swartz to me. I give Be Scofield credit for being much more intelligent than James Swartz, but that alleged message to the "Culture or Cult?" person(s) seemed to come more from ignorance and emotions than it did from perception and intelligence. (Again, I would have expected the former from James Swartz, and the latter from Be Scofield.)

With all that said, could Erin be for real? Sure. Could the diagnosis of Be Scofield as as a "Hostile Sociopath" also be accurate? Yes.

Yes, they could be. But ARE they? The jury is out. Be Scofield is innocent until she shows herself to be guilty. (James Swartz virtually confessed, in many ways and different times. Be Scofield has not.)

IF, big IF, the rant to "Cultore or Cult?" really was from her, this would be the strongest indication yet that she was guilty, but, was it?

In summary, the only things I am certain about in a negative way regarding Be Scofield at this time is that she is choosing some targets, like Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle, who really hurt nobody and do a lot of good for some. Why not instead go after truly horrible spiritual teachers and people, even if they're small-timers like James Swartz.

Thanks again for making sure I wasn't jumping on a possibly false "band-wagon."

Even with James Swartz, it took much research and (especially) his own "insane" messages for me to conclude that he was truly despicable as a human being and as a spiritual teacher. Be Scofield? She's not even close to that "place," and I hope she never is.

Date: August 05, 2019 12:06AM

Be Scofield has been doing one helluva job exposing the dark side of the guru business/Enlightement Industry.

Which would piss off a lot of people.

Anything that smears Be Scofield needs careful investigation -- all of us would want that if anyone were to do the same to us.

When discussing how Moo influences people, many of us found it very helpful to read analyses of conversational trance induction written by The Anticult, who participated on this message board 11 years ago, back when CEI was still the
RickRoss.com website.

Back to Be Scofield.

Traveler99 wrote:

In summary, the only things I am certain about in a negative way regarding Be Scofield at this time is that she is choosing some targets, like Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle, who really hurt nobody and do a lot of good for some. Why not instead go after truly horrible spiritual teachers and people, even if they're small-timers like James Swartz.

The Anticult wrote those in depth analyses of conversational trance induction because TAC recognized these were the methods being used by Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle. And people were being harmed. THey participated in the discussions.

The Anticults analyses of these methods run to many, many pages on the message board. And would be great material for a journalist... such as Be Scofield.

A strong argument could be made that they are more important to investigate than JS, given their vast commercial empires and how their material has been readily confused with cognitive behavior therapy, with Buddhism and that their books and materials on the shelves at bookstores and reputable retreat centers all over the world.

Anticult on Byron Katie -- a few samples

Anticult on Tolle

BK and Tolle are both being adroitly marketed as being compatible with Buddhist practice.

They are quite good subjects for journalistic scrutiny, especially from so astute a journalist as Be Scofield has been.

The Anticult commented:

also, notice how much more clever Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle are than all these folks?
BK and ET both know listing all your past affiliations, seminars, and guru's and former cults, etc, carries a lot of baggage.

So they went and suppressed all of their past affiliations, and just pretended that a cockroach and a park bench done it.
Very clever indeed.

Who was the first big western type Guru who created a false past?

Werner Erhard tried to do it, but it caught up with him.
L Ron Hubbard fabricated his past history...
but all those lies caught up with them later.
So its smarter to just not say anything, make up stories that can't be disproven, and even go so far as to say you are a Savant and forget most of your past, in case you get busted for some of the BS about the past. (like Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle).

There has to be some early western pseudo-mystery guru's who did this in the 50's...
It is a very clever idea.

Here's a post by Anticult which actually ties BK, ET and Oprah together.

Date: July 29, 2008 11:21AM

Haven't listened to the interview yet, will do so later.

But its very interesting that Byron Katie says The Work "alleviates depression, decreases stress".

That is due to this thread on the Rick Ross Forum.

Byron Katie (the Work) Complaints, California Board of Psychology, FTC
(as of March 03, 2008, they have reposted and CHANGED at least 6 CLAIMS)

Before this thread, Byron Katie was claiming on her main website that The Work ELIMINATES depression and stress.
After this was pointed out here, and what came from that, they changed it. It all captured in this thread in real time.
So Byron Katie knows what is going on in this thread, and is tap-dancing to try and avoid getting in trouble for making medical sounding claims, among many other things.

(her other websites still claim that The Work ELIMINATES depression and stress. I guess she figures she can get away with those ones, as they are less public and looked at by people already involved in her following. She wants to maintain the extreme claim, as that is the Big Claim salespitch. Hopefully the FTC is looking into those claims.)

ALSO:
Byron Katie is very clever, notice how she flatters Oprah with the Eckhart praise and comment that he is a DEAR FRIEND to her and everyone. This is pandering to Oprah, as she has been so criticized for the Eckhart Tolle promotion, people calling him her weird Guru, etc. Katie is so slick, she smooths that one over like a real pro, and give herself credibility by saying she is a good buddy of Tolle, and that Tolle is a wonderful friend of the planet, etc. (always flatter the King and Queen, as they say).
Its really just massaging Oprah's soft-spot, in an indirect way, by praising what she is praising...

But just reading the text above about the cockroach...that is a waking hypnotic induction.

You see, as she tells the Story, it appears in your mind.
Asleep on floor, eyes closed, (hypnosis), cockroach (shock-disgust), OPEN EYES, JOY, then she sells The Work as being the way to happiness.
Then if it gets confusing, that is by design. Creating Confusion is the #1 technique of Byron Katie, it draws people in, and makes them wonder, and puts them off-balance. Byron Katie is highly skilled, and knows exactly how to Target her audience.

If she has more interviews, she will compress her entire method into those interviews.

The Cockroach Induction is very well done. It is unforgettable, which is why she tells that Story like that, and it condenses her entire pitch into one short story, which is the stake in the ground, which she then links all of her other Stories to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 01:00AM by corboy.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 05, 2019 02:13AM

Sahara71:

Please stay tightly focused ont he topic of this thread, which is James Schartz.

If you want to discuss something else start a new thread with a new title.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 05, 2019 02:14AM

Please stay on topic.

The topic of this thread is James Schartz.

If you want to discuss something else start another thread with another topic titled.

Current Page: 14 of 75

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.