Current Page: 57 of 821
Australian cult: Anyone recognize this?
Posted by: matilda ()
Date: December 17, 2006 01:34PM

Beware those groups that deceive
By Pamela Hale-Burns, Staff columnist
Article Launched:11/25/2006 12:00:00 AM PST

Christians have been called many things: fanatical, self-righteous, holier-than-thou and much more.

At times, I, as a Christian, get tired of all the misunderstanding of our faith. Today, however, I am on the other side of the labeling when it comes to groups - what I call cults - that identify themselves as followers of Jesus Christ.

Those I speak of today are the Jesus Christians. Although the group has members in Sydney, Australia, London, England, Nairobi, Kenya and Los Angeles, it was reported in July 2005 as having only 30 members worldwide.

As with most cults, the Jesus Christians have some really strange religious practices that have absolutely nothing to do with who Jesus is.

First, they do not believe that the Bible is God's Word, but that Jesus himself is God's Word, so they follow his life.

Yes Jesus was God's Word in the flesh, but my question is this: Who among them has seen Jesus and watched his lifestyle personally? How can they know how Jesus lived if not for what has been recorded in His Word by men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write it?

This column is not to question the validity of this group's arrival at salvation, or if they've even arrived, but only to show how far some will go in an effort to start their own group of worshippers.

Not worshippers of God or even his son Jesus, but of the leaders or founders of such groups themselves.

I remember seeing, as a child, the many who followed a self-proclaimed servant of God, Jim Jones, all eventually commit suicide by drinking poison at his command.

They weren't followers of Jesus, because Jesus tells us that he came so that we might have life more abundantly. They were following and worshipping Jim Jones.

Same with the Jesus Christians: They are not following Jesus, but the group's founder, David McKay.

McKay, who declares there's nothing unique about the group's teachings but that they simply put it together differently, admits their standards are a bit extreme, which turns many away from becoming a part of the group.

One such standard is followers must refuse to work. They are told they cannot serve God and mammon. McKay's basis for this: Luke 16:13-15.

These scriptures are not against working for money; they speak against loving money. The Bible clearly states that it is the love of money that is the root of all evil (I Tim. 6:10).

Members are also told that they must forsake everything and everyone in their lives. Thus they leave their jobs, schools, families and possessions, their place in the world. The group is against private ownership and members live together in a community of other Jesus Christians in trailers and tents.

It is my belief that when it is someone's goal to take people away from the family that loves them, jobs that support them and surroundings they are comfortable in, it is in a mere attempt to make followers rely solely on a leader. That leader is McKay.

He is like Jim Jones, who moved his followers to an entire different continent to keep them from their loved ones, those who could possibly convince them that they were being deceived.

According to the Jesus Christians' belief, people from non-Christian religions can be saved on the basis of their faith in God even if they've never heard of Jesus.

However, according to Scripture, Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

The group is also against Christian churches, stating that there are several errors in the church, which could have eternal consequences.

Show me a church without issues or without some problems and I'll show you the perfect church. There aren't any.

As recently as last month, the group was featured on the news, where a family was trying to get their teenage son away from the group.

Joseph Johnson had been a straight-A student and was a star basketball player and track athlete as well. He had received scholarship offers from several universities.

To his family's dismay, the Jesus Christians delivered their message to Johnson and shortly before his graduation as salutatorian from Junipero Serra High School in Gardena, California, he joined the group.

After one of its members was allegedly attacked by Johnson's family the group decided to hold its own trial at an undisclosed location in Long Beach for the family.

Johnson's parents and brothers were asked to be at the trial. If the family did not appear, which they didn't, members of the Jesus Christians, including their son Joseph, would take their punishment for them, which was whipping.

"We believe that this is a radically new approach to crime, where the judge/jury only impose a sentence which they themselves are willing to take," said McKay.

"No punishment will be handed out without written consent on the part of the person receiving the punishment. Our reason for doing this is because we are more interested in rehabilitation than in retribution.

"We believe that the elements of consent and substitution offer a truly Christian alternative to normal court proceedings. Even the idea of someone being whipped is, in our opinion, more merciful than locking someone up for years."

The whipping, which I witnessed on the news, showed a group of young adults who seemed lost, insecure and naive, looking for hope in their lives. They had ignorantly put their trust in and given their lives to a man seeking to grow his ego with attention and lordship over people.

Nowhere in Scripture did Jesus and his followers beat each other for punishment. So what part of Jesus' life did they get the beatings from?

McKay says they are being persecuted because they are followers of Christ, but from what I've seen and read, they've been persecuted because they are merely causing division among families and loved ones, something Jesus never did. No one has been persecuting them for following Jesus. Why? Because they aren't following him.

How dare McKay place his selfish mission with what Jesus' life and ministry were about?

It saddens me that many in today's society are looking for hope, love and acceptance so much that they resort to groups such as these who lead them astray and teach them to be separate and to distance themselves from those they love.

This is yet another attempt to confuse people in order to keep them away from the one true loving God. Jesus, God's son, lived a life of love. Yes, he had very meager means of support, but his mission was to spread the gospel as far and as to as many as he could during his three years of ministry. He never taught against working. In fact scripture tells us that if we don't work we don't eat (2 Thes. 3:10).

He never taught against family; it was his father who created Adam and Eve and said that it was not good for man to be alone, thus commanding them to be fruitful and multiply.

He never taught against loving others who are not like you or don't believe as you do. But it was he who said, "He that loves not, knows not God, for God is love."

I am personally sick and tired of these so-called Christian groups popping up their ugly heads with their messages of bondage, not freedom.

For where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty (2 Cor. 3:17).

These groups teach a life of barely making it. Life more abundantly is what Jesus promised his followers.

Life more abundantly does not mean you live in need. Jesus said he would supply all of our needs. We have need of housing. We have need of money. We have need of jobs. He supplies those needs according to his riches in glory.

It's time for us to be on our guard, for ourselves and our children. Many false prophets will rear their heads and it's important that we recognize them for who they really are: deceivers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: free of DM ()
Date: December 17, 2006 09:34PM

]Dave quoting Kevin

Quote:
Complete strangers know of the relationship breakdown between us because YOU tell them. Its in your writings, on your website.

Dave's response

The best that can be gleaned from reading our website is that there was a major split in the community in 1998 (and even then, I think it is a restricted article). So don't accuse me of making a public scandal out of your behaviour. The point is that I am accusing you of feeding information to a LOT of people, but particularly Tony and Brian, and that information provided by YOU has been used on Rick Ross' website. You were careful to keep your name out of it, but that was all. The idea was to embarrass and humiliate me, which you and Tony and Brian did extremely well.

Just two days ago, Brian listed a bunch of verses about me not being a fit leader because I cannot control my own family, forgetting that you were 33 years old when you left, and that you are over 40 now. I have certainly not been proud of the fact that you and your siblings have used your children as bargaining tools in your war against Cherry and me. So if I have been guilty of any deception in my life, it has been my attempt, even on the Rick Ross forum, to cover that up, by straight out accusing Brian of lying; which is when he revealed his source, apologising to you for doing it.

I wrote of you: Quote:
"Surely he knows about Rick Ross... but maybe not.

You wrote in reply: Quote:
" you are about to hang me on forgetting a name that I may or may not have heard"

And you say that *I* have a persecution complex[/quote]

ALL EX MEMBERS KNOW ABOUT THE SPLIT IN DETALE BECAUSE DAVE RANTS A LOT ABOUT IT AND HE WRITES EMAILS ABOUT IT SO EVERYONE WHO HAS HAD ANY CONTACT WITH THE GROUP SINCE THE SPLIT KNOWS . NO USE TRYING TO BLAME THAT ONE ON KEVIN WHEN HE RANTS ABOUT IT TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN.

IN ADDITION HE [u:c100c27503]IS[/u:c100c27503] AN UNFIT LEADER AND HUMILIATES ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WI HIS RANTS.

ANY OUTSIDERS WHO SAY ANTHING BAD ABOUT HIM ARE BRANDED CULTBUSTERS AND DANGEROUS AND ARE FEARED LIKE THE DEVIL. DAVE'S BEST RANTS ARE ABOUT THE CULTBUSTERS WHO HE THINKS ARE OUT TO DESTROY HIM AND THE GROUP (THAT NOW INCLUDES RICK ROSS.) MEMBERS AND EVEN EX MEMBERS CAN BE TRIGGERED INTO FEAR BY HIM USING THAT WORD!

DAVE IS TRYING TO PUT KEVIN ON A GUILT TRIP FOR POSTING ON THE RICK ROSS SITE TOO, RELYING ON THAT OLD TRIGGER WORD AND ALSO DISPLAYING HIS STRONEST TRIAIT WICH IS HYPOCRISY AGAIN BECAUSE DAVE HIMSELF POSTED LOADS HERE.

NOONE HAS TO AGREE WITH RICKROSS TO POST ON HIS SITE. NO ONE HAS TO JOIN ANY CAMPAIN TO POST ON HIS SITE. GEE M, WE ARE OUT NOW (HE DOESNOT GET THAT BIT ? DUMBO) AND CAN POST WHERE WE WANT , SPEAK TO WHO WE WANT, DO WHAT WE WANT AND NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE RANTS. LIFE IS NOT THE BLACK AND WHITE NIGHTMARE DAVE PAINTS WHERE YOU ARE EITHER WITH THEM OR AGAINST THEM. POSTING HERE IS NOT EVIL AND IS GOOD INFORMATIO FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE THINKING OF TAKING THE ROAD WE TOOK WHEN WE WENT IN ...THEY MIGHT THINK AGAIN AND NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE HORRORS

DAVE IS STILL TRYING TO CONTROL THOSE WHO LEFT WITH RANTS ABOUT WHAT HAPENED TO THEM BECAUSE OF CULTBUSTERS. RANT ON DAVE RANT ON. I HAVE NOT POSTED MUCH HERE BUT HAD TO WHEN I SAW LIES.[/size:c100c27503]

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: December 18, 2006 04:44AM

G'day free of DM,

The stuff here is getting to him. Disappointing that he never got around to answering those few questions. Looks like Zeuszor's Bible quotes have really hit the bone. I would almost liken it to magic... :wink:

Is Dave starting to crack?

Date: December 18, 2006 04:49AM

By the way, free, can you turn down the capitals? :shock:

Date: December 18, 2006 10:01AM

Jack Oskar Larm
By the way, free, can you turn down the capitals? :shock:

Sure. No need to act shocked Jack but then you were never in so you must have no idea.

Date: December 18, 2006 12:23PM

free wrote:

Sure. No need to act shocked Jack but then you were never in so you must have no idea.

No idea? Never in? Shocked? Sure, I'm an easy target. But I'm rarely shocked - surprised and/or dismayed, maybe. It must be the smiley!

I've had some contact with the JCs, not much, as you say, but I don't see how the amount of direct and indirect contact I've had with them should alter my view of them, and what I write here. I've got plenty of ideas and clues as to the identity of the JCs. Unfortunately, in my skewed perceptions, things aren't looking too good. Not very good at all.

PS: No more smileys!

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: December 19, 2006 03:04AM

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16 ΒΆ [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Date: December 19, 2006 06:29AM

Jack Oskar Larm
free wrote:

No idea? Never in? Shocked? Sure, I'm an easy target. But I'm rarely shocked - surprised and/or dismayed, maybe. It must be the smiley!

I've had some contact with the JCs, not much, as you say, but I don't see how the amount of direct and indirect contact I've had with them should alter my view of them, and what I write here. I've got plenty of ideas and clues as to the identity of the JCs. Unfortunately, in my skewed perceptions, things aren't looking too good. Not very good at all.

PS: No more smileys!

mycaptals was anger and i thoght you woz shocked b'that. then i realize you cant undrstnd becooz you dont have the experienz i hav. nothing els.
nothing has ever ben good in JC la la land. he craked long time ago and wen he s anrgy, people get thrown out, no money, no id, no contacts, can i be angry about that. sure.

Posted by: apostate ()
Date: December 22, 2006 09:12PM

Check out the JC's latest on this thread.

[welikejesus.com]

Date: December 23, 2006 06:23AM

Thanks Apostate,

Some truly shocking stuff happening at JC HQ. It's amazing how sick a forum can become when it's run by genuinely sick, sick people. I can only spend a few minutes reading their stuff before I have to turn away in disgust.

Dave McKay has a habit of naming people. Why doesn't he name 'X'?

I suspect Dave likes (loves) to intimidate the strong-willed (ie ex-members), but is sensitive to the weak-willed (ie people like X). I strongly suspect that this is McKay's way of ensuring a malleable group...putty in his dirty hands!

Phew, I'm still a little shaken by the JC's defence of their corrupt behaviour. They are sick, sick people.

Current Page: 57 of 821

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.