Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: December 21, 2010 11:13PM

Kevin wrote:

Dave has sought to blame me for questioning the ambiguity of quotes he made regarding pedophilia for the various allegations that have followed, and even suggested I initiated this discussion out of the blue. This is not true. The original discussion began in response to a poster on the JCs forum who asked why the JCs considered it a sin for consenting homosexuals to enter relationships comparable to heterosexual marriage. This woman suggested that morality needs to be based on an understanding of minimising harm with the example of rape in which the use of force against someone is manifestly wrong. Dave was trying to suggest some things are immoral just because God/society says so. The problem was that in comparing pedophilia to homosexuality and in the argument that so-called "seduction" negates the issue of force, Dave appeared to fail to grasp the issue of coercion and the sense of real harm that occurs when an adult abuses the trust of a child.

...and he continues to do so to this day. The more he responds, the bigger the hole he digs. He seems to have no grasp on reality. He doesn't see what everyone else can see clearly.

Kevin wrote:

Perhaps in Dave's mind he was just having an intellectual discussion and so it was not fair to try and analyse what he says beyond that. But a point is not justified just because you can spin an argument to defend it, and the isolation of Dave-speak from the real world seems to be part of the problem. How else can you explain the whipping trial that went ahead it seems against the good counsel of his own members? Dave seemed to lose sight of the forest with his interest in the trees in this conversation, and I felt the same myopic logic resulted in a convicted pedophile operating without the necessary supervision required to stop him from re-offending in India. The experiment to see if a pedophile who was accepted into a community where he would be denied the private liberties on his own and where he was surrounded by healthy adult child relationships may assist his rehabilition, failed. There were no community children in India, and so it seemed he was largely unsupervised when he went on to trains to sell Easy English books.

That is exatly the point i was making. Dave is willing to take unethical risks all in the hope of attracting another victim/follower and that makes him a danger to society. The child abuse in India could and should have been avoided.

Kevin wrote:

The response against this individual when he voluntarily confessed his crimes was swift and absolute. It may be argued that he should have been handed over to Indian authorities and the involvement of the group that this person came from in handing him over to Australian authorities represents an attempt to distance himself from the situation, but the severity of the jail sentence would not support a claim of the minimising cover-ups that appeared to be common in the Catholic church.

Kevin i disagree and i feel you've provided an argument as to why. Why wasn't the man handed over to the Indian authorities?

Dave claimed he had to ask a close friend of the man to convince him to confess and this confession happened in Australia so it certainly doesn't suggest it was swift and absolute.

Dave should have reported this man to the authorities immediately.

Kevin wrote:

I recalled Dave's resistance to informing community members of this person's history for fear that the stigma may interfere in his acceptance into the community (although Cherry's counsel ultimately reigned.) And one parents horror in discovering they had left their two children in his direct care in ignorance, and overstated the extent of that problem, for which I apologised. However, the account of another pedophile being sent on outreach with a mother and her children some years later who had not been notified of his history suggests the original issue that I raised might have represented a relevant concern.

This again further backs up my point and that is why anyone considering joining the JCs deserves to know about such incidents.

Dave does not learn from his mistakes, that is clear. The unethical risks he is willing to take put children at serious risk of harm. He's taken these risks on more than one occasion in the past so who's to say he won't do it again in the future?

He is a very dangerous man.

Kevin wrote:

The main point in the forum discussion where Dave denied "force" in relation to the coercion inherent in pedophilia, was that it might reflect a blind spot in his own behaviour in influencing young people to do things they may not have otherwise chosen to do. Dave has argued that parents have had a whole childhood in which to influence their son or daughter's thinking and if they have failed in this regard he is entitled to compete as an influence. Children are exposed to all kinds of influences and we can't wrap them up in cotton wool. But I don't think its normal for a 12 year old child from an Indian village to be told they can come for a visit to Australia where they will be sent to school, but find themselves sent out to flog literature on the street instead and told, when they beg to return home, that they are choosing between serving God or Satan... much less be maligned, when after some thirteen years service, for having joined with ulterior motives and leaving when she saw the prospect of a better life and taking their husband with her. [Comments posted by Ross and defended by Dave]

His argument that there is very rarely force used in paedophilia cases is deeply disturbing. It is definitely a blind spot on his part.

Kevin wrote:

I think comments where Dave minimises the nature of sexual perversion in the COG comes from the perception that critics have exaggerated the common experience, and individuals should take responsibilities for their complicity in the activity they were part of. Strangely this seems to result in Dave trying to blame xJCs for things they did under his leadership and acting like a victim when confronted by anyone who takes offence at his various attempt to demean and demonise those who oppose his excesses

There's no excuse for Dave's constant defense of child abuse in the COG. There's so much proof out there which Dave chooses not to believe.

Kevin did you ever hear Dave openly refer to David Berg as a paedophile?

Kevin wrote:

I am not seeking to join a lynch mob or have anyone publicly flogged for his "errors of judgement". But the truth is the truth and it might be in Dave's interest to swallow a little pride and accept a little personal responsibility for his actions, instead of always blaming other people for his failings

Many people have tried reasoning with Dave but it has been proven that the man us unwilling to accept personal responsibility for his actions. He seems unable to show any type of remorse or compassion. I think you're flogging a dead horse with that one i'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 11:15PM by Apollo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 21, 2010 11:17PM

Stoic:

I understand your questions.

The answer is most cult leaders fit the profile of a psychopath or sociopath, which is a person without a conscience or set of consistent ethical standards.

I once asked psychologist Margaret Singer if cult leader David Koresh was a psychopath.

She responded, "Their all psychopaths." Meaning all cult leaders.

IMO--Dave McKay is a cult leader and he has no "moral compass" other than this, what is right for him is right and what is wrong fro him is wrong.

At best McKay's ethics appear to be situational and fluid.

Taking this into consideration the COG issue can be seen contextually like this--whatever McKay thought was good and/or useful for him concerning COG he might label as "right" and whatever he didn't like might be labeled "wrong."

IMO--In this sense morality becomes subjective and as the defining element of the JCs McKay's interpretation of what he sees as morality becomes absolute for the group.

See [www.culteducation.com]

As psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton states, "a charismatic leader..increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose their power."

In other words it's all about the leader. Whatever he or she says is "right" is right and whatever he or she says is "wrong" is wrong.

No shades of gray. Strictly black and white.

IMO--this explains how McKay and the JCs seem to function.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 21, 2010 11:20PM

The odd outreach team come to stay for brief periods

Note: In the US 'odd' means weird or strange or eccentric.

In Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland and the UK, 'odd' can mean occasional, so an 'odd outreach team' may perhaps mean that an outreach team occasionally visited.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: December 22, 2010 02:16AM

Thanks rrmoderator.

I think that the known, recorded behaviour of Davejc seems to fit the classic pattern of sociopathy and for this reason am wary of providing him with the 'also a victim' excuse.

Davejc has proved no slouch at coming up with his own excuses so far, I don't think he needs any help in that area.

I agree with Apollo, that it is flogging a dead horse to expect any change of M.O, change in behaviour or change of heart from Davejc anytime soon.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:15AM

Stoic:

In my experience "cult leaders" don't change, they just spin and/or expect others to change to accommodate them.

They often judge others harshly, but cannot accept any criticism and/or admit when they are wrong.

It's pretty much a nonstarter to expect anything like moral responsibility from them.

Instead, expect the same narcissistic self-obsessed behavior.

It has been said that the overwhelming majority of cult leaders appear to fit the profile of NPD, i.e. narcissistic personality disorder.

Dave McKay's behavior seems to reflect that profile in my opinion.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Though only a psychiatrist could ultimately determine his psychological profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 07:50AM by rrmoderator.

Date: December 22, 2010 05:16AM

Here's a new thread McKay has created...

Hope for dialogue with the X site?

Dave McKay wrote: 21/12/2010 13:03

It is after midnight here in Australia, and I have had a hard day. However, I have just come across a couple of posts by Blackhat on the RR site which raise some hope of meaningful dialogue with others on that site. I do not have time to respond tonight, but I do hope to make time tomorrow.

It is timely because I have been seriously thinking about the differences between the approaches taken by both sites over the past few years. Brian compares it to grenades and tanks vs a therapy group. Pretty good.

Even on the RR site there are some rough and tumble tactics that are allowable by law, even if some would prefer not to make use of them. It has been very helpful for me to go through the law over the past few weeks, comparing what I can take action on and what I cannot. It helps to accept that some criticism, whether true or not, may be quite unavoidable.

I have been conscious of efforts over the years by Kevin and Craig to distance themselves from some of the things that Brian and Rick Ross have done. I have been critical because of other similarities that I have seen. But maybe there is room for overlooking some of those similarities, even if we cannot fully get around them.

Anyway, off to bed now, and let's see what I think after a good night's sleep.

Dave McKay wrote: 21/12/2010 20:00

It's morning now, and I see that Anita was up late last night too... later than myself, as she tried to deal with Apollo/Stoic, Corboy, and Rick all panicking at her suggestion that I may have been a victim of the COGs in some small way.

Obviously, as an adult, I MUST take responsibility for my own actions, and I hope to do that. But there is a glimmer of hope if someone can even begin to see that there may be understandable explanations for our differences, and that is what has so obviously freaked out these other three or four boys. They have so much riding on the other approach.

The chasms that exist between us (and that could be me and the RR site, but it could also be me and the X site) do, in my opinion, stem from at least a PERCEIVED unwillingness to allow for any hope of dialogue. If you read through the RR forum as I have been doing, for any length of time, you see that recurring theme. It appears to be why the term narcissist is so important over there, i.e. because they also have follow-up quotes which say that narcissists are unredeemable, that they should not be touched with a ten-foot pole. It's classic demonisation with a pseudo scientific veneer.

One of Rick's favorite quotes (and the one that came out during the Waco standoff, when he uttered it to the press) is that "all cult leaders are evil" or, what I think was one version of it at the time, which is "If you have seen one, you have seen them all."

But Anita's two posts (one from Kevin trying to give an honest account of my various encounters with the COGs, and one from Anita suggesting that this account could actually give a more hopeful interpretation of our differences) suggest that I may have been too negative in my impressions of the X site.

I see this one chink in the wall, with a little light coming through, and I want so badly to make some progress here, but I also realise that there is a huge wall (and a pretty thick one at that) still standing between the X site/Kevin and myself. There are a jillion things I want to say, and I can imagine there being objections about just about anything. But the bottom line is, "Do we want reconciliation?" For that to happen, I am going to need to resist the temptation to rubbish anything that is being said against me, and dare I say it, a similar impulse is going to need to be repressed (for want of a better) word over there, long enough to at least consider the possibility that this could be a turning point.

The rather obvious reaction by many would be, "So what are you doing wasting your time on the RR site, if there is more hope of reconciliation on the X site? I will try to explain.

I have tended to see the two sites as different attempts to achieve the same end, i.e. to ultimately condemn me, without any hope of resolution. But let's believe for now that I am wrong with regard to at least some people on the X site. I haven't been there for some time, mainly because it hurts so much when I BELIEVE that I am seeing Kevin take a similarly hopeless stance toward myself. I also BELIEVE that I see a lot of the same spirit in people like Anita, and I know that I cannot help but FEEL (rightly or wrongly) that it is supported by Kevin. I'm just saying that to explain why I am not rushing over there at the moment. Sometimes you have to actually get some distance away from those with whom you disagree, in order to let the air clear before you make another attempt.

I WANT to believe that there is hope, and I do NOT want to see things that might dash my hopes. If I run into the same kind of cynicism at the X site that I see coming from the four men mentioned above, I think it would be too overwhelming at this stage, and there is so much in the two posts that Anita made yesterday that I would like to build on first. I'm sorry if that seems unfair to people on the X site, but hopefully, if we can deal with this patiently, it won't be long before we are communicating more directly. (Even yesterday, I was talking with Cherry about the possibility, at some point, of actually accepting the offer of "dialogue and reason" that has been extended there, in the hope that it is an offer to me as well as others.)

Okay, so now let's move on to what Anita posted...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 05:16AM by Apollo.

Date: December 22, 2010 05:31AM

I agree with Stoic that the last thing we need to be doing is offering up excuses as to why McKay behaves the way he does. He is not a victim but if he feels playing the victim card will help his agenda then i'm almost certain he'll use that to his advantage. I know people try to be fair and ethical when dealing with McKay but the truth is we're not dealing with a normal human being here. We're dealing with an evil, narcissistic (ex) cult leader who has spent the best part of 30 odd years controlling and manipulating people. He has become an expert in control and manipulation and if he sees any weaknesses he will pounce on that.

In the above posting McKay (former ''Shepherd'' of the notorious ''Children of God'') is now desperately trying to reach out to the xjcs site. It looks like a clear attempt to control and manipulate the posters over there. These are the same posters who Dave has spouted lies about over several years and he even encouraged the texas rattlesnake to attack them. There's even been talk of ''reconciliation''. I take it he's only talking about Kevin here? To reconcile with someone would suggest that there was previously friendly relations so i take it he's only referring to Kevin. I can't imagine anyone else wanting anything to do with him.

He seems to also think there is now hope for better ''dialogue'' after recent comments made over here. I really do wonder what planet this guy lives on. Who in their right mind would want better ''dialogue'' with a naricissistic, bullying, manipulating, controlling, lying sweetie wife who seems unable to show any kind of compassion whatsoever? There's more chance of the Pope becoming a Proddy than McKay changing his ways. While he's on this earth he will continue to be a danger to society and all we can do is continue to raise awareness against him and his cult.

Date: December 22, 2010 07:05AM

Kevin wrote:

I wonder if we can see those polarising traits anywhere else?

Care to elaborate Kevin?

Date: December 22, 2010 07:52AM

Seems like McKay is attempting to play people against each other.

Nothing new.

Posted by: Blackhat ()
Date: December 22, 2010 07:56AM

Dave has posted a long commentary on Kevin's posting. He does seem to genuinely want to clear the air about some things, and to have dialogue with at least some people, his son in particular.

He has said

Yes, I have tried to "minimise" the association by pointing out that I LIVED IN A CHILDREN OF GOD COMMUNE for a total of about three weeks.

No, Dave, I am not going to call out "liar", because you have actually hit the nail on the head about why some people have become obsessed with proving that your association was longer and their influence upon you was stronger. I think it is good that you are finally coming clean with this, because then people will perhaps stop speculating about just how far you did go into their cult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.