Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: paleface ()
Date: March 21, 2016 06:07AM

I have a confession. I lifted that phrase "old before your time" from an old CS&N song "You Don't Have To Cry". The line was something like this:

"You are living a reality
I left years ago it quite nearly killed me.

In the long run, it will make you cry.
Make you crazy and old before your time. "

If the shoe fits, wear it. : )

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kd87 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 06:27AM

Are there any good books on the history of the LWF? I was a member as a child, and I have a load of personal memories, but I don't actually know much about what the church was about beyond what went on in a few of the churches, mainly Redlands. I'm interested in learning more about John's earlier life, his movement from "regular" preacher to founder of the walk, and how things evolved from there. I know the LWF publishes a ton of its own books, including some by John, but I'd like to know if there's something more objective out there. An Amazon search didn't lead me to anything, except some stuff on the Latter Rain movement in general. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Date: March 21, 2016 06:37AM

Date: March 21, 2016 06:47AM

Thank you very much, paleface. Looks like just what I'm after.

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: March 21, 2016 07:01AM

It is a good history. The writer tends to put his own slant on some things like, commenting on what JRS's motivations or what he was thinking and speculating, just a little to much commentary and value judgments.

But the research is right on. I remember much of that as a child. And some things going on behind the scenes were, well, going on behind the scenes.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: March 21, 2016 09:03AM

KD87 one thing too about that link, on my screen it always for some reason shows up on the bottom left of the screen, only thing that does that, but it is there, so look there at the bottom corner of your screen if you don't see it where you usually see things. It is certainly worth reading.

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kd87
>
> Try this link
>
> [www.reflectionsfromthewall.net]
> 6/8/24680235/jrs_the_walk.doc

Date: March 21, 2016 10:53AM

Here is another link

Ooops www.apologeticsindex.org/s08.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 10:56AM by Cloudwatcher.

Date: March 21, 2016 10:54AM

Found this profound statement:

Today it is very easy to find information about everything. Everyone has something to say about anything.

[www.haleokaula.org]

Intellectual spazery

Date: March 21, 2016 11:37AM

...and you'll get a chuckle out of this:

[youtu.be]

Date: March 21, 2016 12:06PM

Thanks, all. The link was weird in that it just turned into a downloaded word document, but that was fine. I've got the book and sent it to my Kindle. Read the preface. Pretty good writing. Sounds like a cross between scholarship and religious writing. Yes, it seemed pretty legit. Glad to hear several of you agree to its accuracy.

Looking forward to Vainglory. Yoko Ono's husband?! Strange days indeed. When I was in the church, there were basically three celebrities: a world champion woman surfer, and a comedy duo big enough to appear on tv. Forget their names, but I saw the comedians once at a church. They were definitely funny.

About the book, is it unpublished? Seems strange that I can't find it anywhere online. Not like it's poorly done or anything. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.