Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: September 10, 2015 02:25AM

AD, when I said I saw things changing around 1980, the cultish signs of control and manipulation were always there but were not apparent to me for most of time I was in the LW. That's part of the hideousness of cults.

We all hate hypocrisy as much as Jesus did and want to expose it as much as Jesus did. I remember Gary once criticizing from the platform of the Valley Church the Oral Robert's ministry driving those fancy expensive vehicles as if the LW was purer than Oral Roberts.

I laughed last night at the TV hearing Steven Colbert referring to the persona he has developed as a "high status idiot." The teaching of JRS that his congregation was the manifestation of the 2nd coming of Jesus and in some sense greater than Christ was not scriptural and created a following of high status idiots of which I once was one but I have quickly unlearned that one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 10, 2015 02:53AM

I remember reading some advice that Paleface once gave to FCSLC a few years ago about not thinking that at one time the Walk was a garden. Paleface said maybe it never was a garden. That is another thing I unlearned. The Walk never was a garden; it was falsely created concepts that came from man that were not scriptural. Those falsely created concepts did not begin in 1980. They were always there, they were the foundation of the Walk. They advocated things "beyond what is written" (I Cor 4:6).

G&M didn't write the First Principles, but they continued to perpetuate the false concepts and in doing so they added their own things "beyond what is written." However, the concept that the increasing Presence of Christ and His Glory in the Church constituted the 2nd Coming of Jesus was JRS's teaching. It shouldn't surprise anyone that M is being worshipped secretly in the Church as being conformed to the image of Christ.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:45AM

Lily Rose: G&M didn't write the First Principles, but they continued to perpetuate the false concepts and in doing so they added their own things "beyond what is written." However, the concept that the increasing Presence of Christ and His Glory in the Church constituted the 2nd Coming of Jesus was JRS's teaching. It shouldn't surprise anyone that M is being worshipped secretly in the Church as being conformed to the image of Christ.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lily Rose, that is very true. What amazes me is how it starts out that the new member believes that they are very special themselves, for having the revelation, a revelation that the general masses are too dense to have. But as time goes on, the members of the flock, the ones in of the "sheep" class, end up with the notion, that they are too dense to have the revelation, that only the leaders are capable of "getting it." I don't know where the old switcheroo comes in. I don't think anybody does.

Date: September 10, 2015 04:17AM

Psalm 110:1 The Lord says to my Lord:
“Sit at My right hand
Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

This scripture was always understood by those in the Walk, including myself, to say “sit down at My right hand until YOUR ENEMIES ARE MADE a footstool of your feet.”

It seems I also remember it being quoted “sit down at My right hand until ‘the kingdoms of this world are made a footstool of your feet.”

It seems that I myself have quoted it that way. When it is understood that someone other than God the Father is going to make the enemies His footstool, then it follows
That the apostles and prophets who have entered into resurrection life are the ones that make the enemies His footstool. After all, no mortal is going to do it, it must be
The manifest sons of God.

There are two camps in Living Word Fellowship in regard to that theory. One believes that they will take over the kingdoms of the world and rule and rein until Christ comes,
Then they will lay them at the feet of Christ. The other believes that they will take over everything, and rule, period, INSTEAD OF Christ returning at all, because after all,
THEY ARE Christ in the Earth.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: September 10, 2015 06:06AM

I recall that "getting a revelation" was a big carrot on a stick that was constantly presented before the sheep. First is was "get a revelation of JRS", then it was "get a revelation of Marilyn". And other important and vague, magical concepts. I think now it wasn't the Lord revealing to us, but us "snapping" and closing off our inner BS detectors and accepting these leaders as gods. This magic relelation process was really us partially breaking down internally and opening up to being brainwashed on a much more intense level.

Date: September 10, 2015 08:19AM

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This magic relelation process was really
> us partially breaking down internally and opening
> up to being brainwashed on a much more intense
> level.

And that's probably why it can be so difficult once you have left a cult. I remembered this just the other day, for a brief period of time after I left the LW, I started shoplifting. That was crazy as I had found a good job and had enough money to purchase what I needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2015 08:22AM by lily rose.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 10, 2015 11:41AM

In messages he brought, John often linked a person's ability to receive revelation with their openness to be submissive to authority. Think about how difficult it was for a seeker to have an honest revelation...if in the back of their mind, they believe the blockage to revelation might be their lack of submission--as suggested by John in his word. Frankly, I suspect many of my 'revelations' about John and the Kingdom during this time period was the product of his power of persuasion, and good ol' peer pressure.
Does anyone recall a This Week entitled 'The Submissive Will Know.'--in which the topic is dealth with in some depth (submission leading to understanding)? I may not have the title exactly correct...

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall that "getting a revelation" was a big
> carrot on a stick that was constantly presented
> before the sheep. First is was "get a revelation
> of JRS", then it was "get a revelation of
> Marilyn". And other important and vague, magical
> concepts. I think now it wasn't the Lord
> revealing to us, but us "snapping" and closing off
> our inner BS detectors and accepting these leaders
> as gods. This magic relelation process was really
> us partially breaking down internally and opening
> up to being brainwashed on a much more intense
> level.

Date: September 10, 2015 12:49PM

Well I might have just missed the whole deeper mystical message of the whole thing, but I don't remember a this week or tape, of all that I listened to that was not about submission. It seems they were either roaming around the desert heading for the promised land, or they were in Romans 8 or Ephesians 4. That's about all. Of course I was only there for 7 years.

Date: September 10, 2015 01:29PM

Persuasion and peer pressure can sure shut down the inner BS detector. The peer pressure to intercede for the death of a neph was enormous even though inside you might of thought it was wrong.

After I stupidly posted my confession to minor shoplifting, I googled psychological studies on shoplifting and learned that many people shoplift in order to correct some sort of injustice. Wow.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 10, 2015 10:37PM

The very first ministry I received from John was a marriage check-out. He commended my wife for her submission to church authorities, while telling me I would go in and out of having a submissive spirit (he referred to it as a free-lance nature)...with more dealing necessary to bring me in line. From my perspective, when I was 'out of it' it was likely the result of actually using my brain and seeing how silly/abusive the environment was...and when I was submissive, unfortunately the bulk of the time...however, to explain being in this madness for over 20 years...I was swept into the tide of brainwashing.
Lily--there was enough injustice in the walk to justify high-level heists on your part--but I'm glad you resisted that extreme expression.
AD--yeah, Romans 8 was definitely the chapter most cited in the walk during that time period.
BTW, if Facebook/Internet had existed back then, I probably would have posted a similar update every day: 'Still wandering the desert. I may be here for 40 years, or until I get a right spirit.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.