Current Page: 1 of 1260
The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Altar_Kent ()
Date: February 23, 2004 03:18PM

Is anyone familiar with this movement? It is based in Kalona Iowa at a camp/compound called Shiloh. IT is primarily located in the United states, but also has churches in Brazil and japan. It was founded by John Robert Stevens and first called the walk. Stevens came out of the Latter Rain movement, built quite a congregation, and then died in 1983. The Living word Fellowship is currently being run by Gary and Marilyn Hargrave.

IF you are familiar with it, there is an ongoing discussion about it at

[www.factnet.org]

I was a former member, born into the cult, and I still have family members in it. I would like to get a discussion going concerning this movement and its destructive teachings and abusive practices. If anyone is familiar with it, please post.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shiloh_is_bad ()
Date: December 23, 2005 12:59PM

OMG- I remember this place..it's got Waco TX written all over it. My father would listen to the tapes. Everyweek week I would go to the mailbox a see them, even when I was 8 yrs old I knew this was a mess. He would go to Shiloh once a month, i went there with him a few times and I would hang out with this kid a few yrs older than me, he was always there when i went. He knew it was wack too. He told me to just go along with everything and not to ask questions EVER. I remember it like yesterday: the chapel, the HUGE food storeage, the dorms, the locked doors on the inside. I'm glad to see this post, the images are coming back like a flood. I was just sitting here and this ramdom thought can to mind. Anyone it me back about this place, I'd like to chat about it.
Later
-Adam

Posted by: shiloh_is_bad ()
Date: December 23, 2005 01:03PM

Our local "Living Word" church was led by a couple named Al & Georga Baily from Fall Creek, Wisconsin, they split as soon as my family was ruined and broke. Anyone out there ever heard of them.

Posted by: Lardlad ()
Date: January 10, 2006 03:39AM

I wondered what this was? There's a little church down the road from me that is being used by them now. They don't seem to have much of turnout?

The only reason I paid attention to the change is my first "real" job was helping plumb that building when I was a teenager.

Posted by: righteous mama ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:57AM

My neighbor was highly involved in this cult and I attended with them many times. They went to the North Hollywood church...and Anaheim. I took piano lessons from Jean Koonz (sp?) I remember JRS and remember when he died. I have odd memories from that time. I spent the night in the Blix House. One of the girls taught me to peel carrots there. (Funny what you remember) And I remember the pathway behind the house that led to JRS's house.

I remember my friend's sister's wedding. Odd. I remember a lot...but I'm not sure I should put down all my memories here. I wouldn't want anything to backfire on my friend.

Anyway, I'd be interested in sharing memories if anyone wants to PM or email me. Anyway attend Anaheim or NoHo?

Posted by: walking wounded ()
Date: April 05, 2006 11:37PM

righteous mama
My neighbor was highly involved in this cult and I attended with them many times. They went to the North Hollywood church...and Anaheim. I took piano lessons from Jean Koonz (sp?) I remember JRS and remember when he died. I have odd memories from that time. I spent the night in the Blix House. One of the girls taught me to peel carrots there. (Funny what you remember) And I remember the pathway behind the house that led to JRS's house.

I remember my friend's sister's wedding. Odd. I remember a lot...but I'm not sure I should put down all my memories here. I wouldn't want anything to backfire on my friend.

Anyway, I'd be interested in sharing memories if anyone wants to PM or email me. Anyway attend Anaheim or NoHo?

Hi, righteous mama. I just found this forum and read your post. Yes, I attended both Anaheim and NoHo...as well as several others. You could say I was "born into it" right at the beginning since I was in JRS's family. Talk about your nightmare memories! I remember Jean Koonz, she was a very nice lady. I don't know what has happened to most of the people as I left the scene in 1979 and, until I found this forum, have never heard anything about "my old life". I remember the path between Bix and JRS's house...past the hot tub pool and sauna. Boy this is bringing back (too manyj!) memories. Nice to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments directed to me, please don't hesitate.
Regards

Posted by: kj5fers ()
Date: May 03, 2006 10:14AM

I grew up in The Walk! I was very close to Marilynn and John. I also Knew Gary Hargrave when he was married to Donna. Please feel free to contact me. I would be open to answer any questions that I can. I remember alot and know the damage being brought up in "The Walk" hurt alot of families. Including mine.

Posted by: strange... ()
Date: May 20, 2006 04:54AM

I was there too...I know all of these people.
I am not sure if I want to go down this road.

Posted by: strange... ()
Date: May 20, 2006 07:12AM

I left several years ago....
Why then do I still feel so drawn to talk to all of you about my experiences.

Posted by: joncampbelljr ()
Date: July 07, 2006 01:40PM

I was born into The Walk, my name is Jon Paul Campbell Jr, and I'm gay. I'm atheist. Anyone want to talk to me?

Current Page: 1 of 1260

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.