Current Page: 10 of 1260
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Amos ()
Date: May 24, 2011 05:01AM

It brings to meaning to "spirit filled" when the "spirit" is Jack Daniels, but you have to wonder when the message from someone who is wasted is more coherent than when they are sober!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amos ()
Date: May 24, 2011 05:39AM

Simpsons' fans may recall that Homer also predicted the end of the world, and also made a minor math error.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:52PM

News flash: Harold Camping just admitted to a math error. The real date is Oct 21.
Why is all of this so familiar to me? : ) At least he isn't blaming his congregation for not having enough faith to make it happen. That's what G&M typically do.

Posted by: jhorning ()
Date: May 27, 2011 01:21PM

I remember both Damon Davis and Rocky Cowie(sp?). I recall having communion one sunday with wine that Damon made. It tasted the way turpintine smelled. Was it Damon or Rocky that lived in a teepee across the street from the valley church?

What gets me the most about tlwf is their premeditated misuse of the past and the way they mislead the public concerning the present. For example. When you read their history as posted on their website, the never mention Gary's divorce from Donna(in fact they don't say he was married prior to marrying Marilyn). I've noticed how they will leave off information about many of the pastors also. According to them, Matt Wlakoe went from high school to pastoring the living word church in Sepulveda. There is no mention of his time in san diego under R.D.
The centers of learning school is open to the public, but the internal teaching of the church says students have to be one with Marilyn. Would you, as a parent not affiliated with the church, register your child with that as a requirement?
I' ve reached out recently to current members that I have known for years, but they won't talk about the walk or what is going on. They will not respond to me if I question what they are doing. I asked one of them why he is still in the church. He has not gotten back to me. It's been over a week now. He was one of the guys that divorced his wife and remarried someone else. It's the blind leading the blind.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 30, 2011 12:45PM

jhorning
I recall having communion one sunday with wine that Damon made. It tasted the way turpentine smelled.

Ahh yes. Just one of the many gifts possessed by Demon Davis (changing water into turpentine).

Posted by: heb 11:35 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 03:13PM

I was introduced to the walk in the mid 70's. Comming from a Pentecostal background (about 2 years worth), I was so happy to find jrs' ministry. Since John died the walk has cooled off a Lot, and I've been trying to connect with people hungry for the Word.
I can't believe how little Christians care for the word of God these days. I am convinced that we have all the teaching we need to bring in the Kingdom of God; but are there people out there who really want this? I know I can't be the only one. I go to one of the walk churches most Sundays and some Wednesdays because of the worship and the people I've known for decades are there. They know that I don't buy into this obediance bs, but I respect that I'm in their place and don't speak against what they have (when I was in Co I did and was asked to leave; they aren't interested in comparing scriptures with me).
If anyone reading this knows of people in the SD area who love to get into the Word together, please direct me to them!!! thank you :-)

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: June 08, 2011 06:08AM

“Churches That Abuse” by Ronald Enroth is the best book I know to help peel away the destructive layers caused by TLWF. For an online reference, see [www.reveal.org] The defenses that most people build up against the truth, will not allow them to see their own blindsides so they can make healthy changes for their good. In this text, there are many examples of other groups whose errors are easy to see – because it’s the other guy, not yourself. Without exception, the abusive behavior of TLWF is evident in every example. In some cases, it’s uncanny how similar it is across the board.

People need to know that their wounds are a shared experience – they are not alone – and not just as a result only of TLWF. More importantly, they need to know that it was men and women on a power trip, many times with demonic input, that hurt them, not Jesus. Jesus came to impart life and healing and to bring us into oneness with the Father. Jesus warned about wolves in sheep’s clothing and those who would come saying they were the Christ. Paul warned about those who like wolves, would draw men after themselves, preaching a different Jesus. He also warned about Satan, who would come as an angel of light.

John Robert Stevens is only mentioned once (Pg. 83), but the many other groups share a remarkably similar MO. Chapter 3 deals with a group called “Shiloh” led by a man with an anointing of the “prophet Elijah” – just like TLWF - except it’s from 1920. There’s nothing new under the sun, although each group is certain they have new revelation teaching that nobody else has - giving them an elite status to salve their insecurity.

The word for antichrist actually means instead of Christ – not just against Christ. Those that seek to take the place of Christ or become mediators between God and man have been a problem from the very beginning of the church. The Nicolaitans, warned about in Revelation, were those who had overpowered the laity and set up a hierarchy to control them. The nonscriptural teaching about the leadership being a covering for everyone (except of course for the leader at the top of the pyramid), is taken out of context from Paul’s directives for women praying. They always seem to fail to mention that it is a sin for a man to pray or prophesy with his head covered – as if that had anything to do with submitting to his shepherd whether he should buy the red car or the blue car.

Whenever man takes the place of God, it is simple idolatry. Men have been promising that which they could not give as a means to control others since the beginning. They rise to influence, eventually die, and that movement fades away as people finally realize the promises were never true. False leaders come and go, leaving the wounded in their trail, but the word of God abides forever.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: June 09, 2011 07:00AM

Another great book is "Twisted Scriptures" by Mary Alice Chrnalogar. It's pretty interesting to see how the techniques of persuasion work for a so-called shepherd to "lord it over" on a sheep. I'm pretty sure the leaders of the Living Word cult: Gary Hargrave and Marilyn Hargrave don't see it that way, but the technique is clearly there and being used daily in the Churches in the Living Word Fellowship. It's nothing new, but it is, indeed, an effective way to get someone who wants badly to walk in the way of faith to do the will of another person. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely ! "

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 09, 2011 10:52PM

heb 11:35 has been banned from this message board.

See [forum.culteducation.com]

These are the rules every member agrees to before posting here.

"The purpose of this message board is not to promote a specific religious and/or political viewpoint. Don't use it to preach or proselytize."

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: June 10, 2011 12:46AM

Thanks rrmoderator. We appreciate that. Hopefully no one really sniffed much at the bait that Heb 11:35 was dangling out there. It smelled pretty fishy. : )

Current Page: 10 of 1260

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.