Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: SouthGate ()
Date: June 05, 2018 07:41AM

Sorry but I was going to make a posts about the feet or was that feat.

I feel a pull sometimes to go back, but then I don't. Just confusing to say the least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: puddington ()
Date: June 07, 2018 12:49PM

The forest was shrinking but the trees kept submitting to the axe because its handle was made of wood, so they thought it was one of them.

Date: June 08, 2018 07:35AM

It's sort of like drinking hard liquor, and you wake up the next morning throwing up and have a pounding headache. You say to yourself, boy I'm never going to do that again. Then time passes by and the opportunity comes up again and you do the same thing. Then you are saying to yourself, again, I will never do that again.

Date: June 08, 2018 07:40AM

I've been thinking about what I was saying about all the bad things people did in the bible. Think about it. They didn't leave it out when it could have easily been omitted. Peter denying Jesus 3 times. I'm not saying people should spread rumors, but if something is the truth, why not?

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: June 11, 2018 07:03AM

I think one of the more frustrating aspects of trying sift through what's been whitewashed about TLWF is that so much was deemed "not worth rocking the boat" to the point that it only exists in memories now. I think this allows people to believe that these things never happened, or were isolated cases, and certainly not related to JRS. It makes it easier to write off cases of infidelity, embezzlement, and even things that should have a large and messy paper trail, like a silver mine.

For example, I've recorded one instance where Dan Statton sent a letter to an individual asking to remit that individual's share in the silver mine worth hundreds of dollars in the 70s. The letter was signed and returned, and that individual lost his money, but no copy exists today. All that remains is a bitter taste in that individual's mouth.

Similarly, I can remember listening to tapes of JRS joking with Leo Swartz about smuggling diamonds into the United States to fund his trips back and forth from Africa. Some say JRS had a few diamonds. Others say Leo ran into problems with Customs over all of it, but through years of not rocking the boat, we can't be sure.

When I started reading this thread, it was hard for me to believe that so much could be covered up. As a believer in the movement during the 90s, that was enough for me to dismiss all of the rumors as hearsay; too grandiose to be believed.

I don't place a lot of merit in rumors, but I think where TWLF is conerned, it's definitely worth being aware of them. I say that because TWLF has done a lot to re-imagine much of this history online and in print. When I left the movement, JRS was becoming deified in my opinion. It would have been impossible for me to believe a rumor such as that the valley church was initially split in two during the 60s over JRS having an affair with another elder's wife. Apparently that elder even had a letter his wife had written JRS making the affair self-evident. Conveniently, the letter has been lost.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 12, 2018 12:15AM

GSchaeff Wrote:

"I don't place a lot of merit in rumors, but I think where TWLF is concerned, it's definitely worth being aware of them. I say that because TWLF has done a lot to re-imagine much of this history online and in print. When I left the movement, JRS was becoming deified in my opinion."

It was considered blasphemy in the Walk not to believe John was everything he projected himself to me (Door opener, Kingdom apostle etc.)
Now if you question anything Gary says or does...it's akin to crucifying the Lord of Glory. Or so it seems. What a leap!

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: June 12, 2018 02:28AM

Interesting link on brainwashing controversies.

[www.apologeticsindex.org]

Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: June 12, 2018 07:33AM

GSchaeff Wrote:

For example, I've recorded one instance where Dan Statton sent a letter to an individual asking to remit that individual's share in the silver mine worth hundreds of dollars in the 70s. The letter was signed and returned, and that individual lost his money, but no copy exists today. All that remains is a bitter taste in that individual's mouth.

GSchaeff, people never thought to keep copies of such documents because they were taught to trust the leaders implicitly. They had no idea that those same leaders were unworthy of such trust.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 07:59AM by GoingRogue.

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: June 12, 2018 10:26AM

I agree, GoingRogue. For what it's worth I don't blame anyone for not keeping records. "We were conditioned to trust implicitly," that's a really good way of putting it.

I wanted to describe how it was unbelievable at first that TLWF could be so radically different than I believed it to be as a member. After being out, and especially after reading the accounts of so many ex members, it's much more believable. To respond to Southgate, that's why I don't have any desire to return, because of all the evidence on here of destructiveness and total lack of transparency. It's just frustrating now that there's not more out there about TLWF, especially documents, etc. It's reminder that this forum is important, probably the only source of transparency about TLWF that many people have.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: June 12, 2018 12:50PM

NickleandDimed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting link on brainwashing controversies.
>
> [www.apologeticsindex.org]

This is quite interesting. Indeed !!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.