Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 12, 2017 03:41AM

slandjt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I deeply care about the people who
> have been harmed and continue to be harmed by this
> cult, especially my sister and others like her.
> She doesn't know any better at this point in her
> very long life in this cult and I don't wish for
> her to be liberated because this is all she knows.
> She is controlled by her so-called pastors and
> submits to their control as to where she lives,
> who she has relationships with and where she
> works. After 40 plus years in this cult, she no
> longer has a mind of her own. I have a mind,
> freedom and a life of my own that I have fought
> very hard for and no one can ever take that away
> from me.

Great to hear from you again slandjt. I know you care deeply about those still trapped but I don't get your above comment. If your sister left she would have you for support. Ex-members have told their stories that they successfully left after 40 even 50 years in that crucible. If you care to comment, what is you expectation for a message board like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 12, 2017 03:47AM

larry bobo Wrote:
> I also think it is very important
> to provide those that are considering involvement
> in these groups to be able to make an informed
> decision. What is posted on TLWF website is a far
> cry from the bait-and-switch that awaits them. At
> the time I left, if someone would have said the
> goal was to get you connected and submissive to
> Marilyn, nobody would have given TLWF a second
> look – they would have known it was a cult.
> Pretending to be like other Christian groups is
> bearing false witness – the end does not justify
> the means if you really have integrity.

Exactly. The bait-and-switch needs to be exposed. IMO it's false advertising, and there should be a law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 03:49AM by lily rose.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: March 12, 2017 05:16AM

Saw enough Wrote:
> The Feast of Purim is coming up. Which means that
> just around the corner the flock can expect to
> hear the annual messages comparing Marilyn to
> Queen Esther who went before the King and
> interceded to save the Jewish people from
> destruction. Some of the more zealous faithful
> will claim that she ever lives to make
> intercession for them.

My memory. Marilyn's anger. Fire from a dragon's mouth. Gary's interpretation about her death are for show. Deep down, he's glad he's single.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 12, 2017 06:10AM

Maybe John chose to die just to get away from her.

"She's worse than Martha"

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: March 12, 2017 07:51AM

Saw enough Wrote:
> The Feast of Purim is coming up. Which means that
> just around the corner the flock can expect to
> hear the annual messages comparing Marilyn to
> Queen Esther who went before the King and
> interceded to save the Jewish people from
> destruction. Some of the more zealous faithful
> will claim that she ever lives to make
> intercession for them.

And others will try to fend off the thought that she ever lives to condemn them.

Date: March 12, 2017 11:16PM

slandjt Wrote:

> I deeply care about the people who
> have been harmed and continue to be harmed by this
> cult, especially my sister and others like her.
> She doesn't know any better at this point in her
> very long life in this cult and I don't wish for
> her to be liberated because this is all she knows.
> She is controlled by her so-called pastors and
> submits to their control as to where she lives,
> who she has relationships with and where she
> works. After 40 plus years in this cult, she no
> longer has a mind of her own. I have a mind,
> freedom and a life of my own that I have fought
> very hard for and no one can ever take that away
> from me.

I've never been a drug addict, but the same can't be said for my only brother, who was lost to the streets in the 90's. Part of the difficulty of kicking the habit, from what I've observed, is the social network ('friends' that use) that helps reinforce the behavior. Getting free goes beyond pure willpower. I think part of the purpose of this forum is to keep newcomers from being sucked into it...and to help those who are trying to break free, even though it's all they know. It doesn't help, of course, when they are surrounded by people echoing the garbage put forth from the platform--that this desire for a different life is contrary to the will of God. And, as you mentioned, there's the fact that the very freedom they might eventually experience could destroy them. Too much of a shock to their system. That said, my inclination is always to lean toward freedom--even if there seems to be slim hope. But I understand, or at least think I do, your perspective. Thanks for sharing, slandjt.

p.s. Also, just so you know, the image of Marilyn and the Blix Girls, wearing their "ridiculous turbans" and "serving food from crockpots," writing down every word that John speaks while being driven from service to service...is now embedded in my consciousness. Ha

Date: March 13, 2017 12:05AM

"I think part of the purpose of this forum is to keep newcomers from being sucked into it...and to help those who are trying to break free, even though it's all they know."

For clarification, I'm likening drug addiction to the addiction of being enslaved to a cult--perhaps a bit of a stretch.

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: March 13, 2017 12:12AM

Run run I think I hear a nun
Grab all the liquor and run
If a nun should appear
Say sister have a beer
From the cellars of St Francis school

Someone has to keep it lite in here

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: March 13, 2017 12:16AM

changedagain wrote: “And others will try to fend off the thought that she ever lives to condemn them.”

-------------

On breaking free:

And there are others who are reaching the place where they couldn’t care less about these busy bodies, whether it be Marilyn, JRS, Joseph Smith, or the Great Cosmic Inquisitor. They can go and mind their own freaking business like the rest of us.

Top of the morning to all.

Posted by: howmidoing ()
Date: March 13, 2017 02:39AM

Hello all,

I've been trying to follow the threads here. I'm glad I found this discussion forum. I was born into S. California church and subsequently left CTLW (they combined for Sunday service while I was in my teens) about 16 years ago after getting married and moving 3000 miles away. It took me years to realize that CLTW was indeed a cult. Mainly b/c I started attending other Christian churches and slowly saw the way that members were treated and saw people were not shunned that had to leave for jobs or other reasons they were still treated as friends. Some repressed memories started to dawn on me once I was in a safe and secure relationship.

I was actually confronted by someone in the new church about JRS & CLW being a cult. I was so ANGRY! I was in so much denial. But years later, after I wised up, I realized that getting away from my childhood, and the doctrine was why I took the first opportunity I had to get away. These people no longer cared about me (basically abandoned me) once I was not deemed to be following their prescribed tenants of behavior (ie submitting to my "Elijah" (pastor) every move I wanted to make.

Luckily, I see it now for what it truly is. I see how they do nothing Christian as far as helping the poor or teaching the Gospel of Jesus and salvation of souls. It's simply about expanding their own reach, their own gospel and getting people into their church. It's not about Jesus at all.

I thought I was completely over the pain I experienced. My life is pretty darn good; but I still struggle with deep depression and suicidal thoughts and other issues that crop up without any noticeable reason. I recently had a long conversation with a friend I went to school with at COL (they no longer subscribe either) - and I felt so much lighter and freer after being able to discuss our childhood and what had happened there. It was incredible, I didn't call her to talk about this at all but somehow it turned out that it was exactly what I needed to discuss with someone that UNDERSTOOD. I realized that it's something my friends I have made today could not possibly understand at all b/c they didn't experience it and have no frame of reference. I realize that even though I have dear friends, I have no one that I can talk to about my life before I left. And I notice that I still feel on the fringe of Christian and secular society and of my church now, I never feel like I can fully fit in. But I think this is what I was brainwashed to believe as a child.

After some research, I am realizing that much of what I experience with emotional distress is completely compliant with other ex-cult members experiences of slowly healing. I am starting to look into cult recovery therapy. Has anyone here undergone any beneficial therapy?

Has anyone else felt PTSD like symptoms?

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.