Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: TheSarge ()
Date: February 02, 2016 09:27AM

My perspective was more that many of the ministries seeing themselves as the gentry and the little people were their serfs. Sad, really, that there was a time that I found my self-respect in step and fetching and never seeing any reciprocity. *sigh*

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I've witnessed, the "little people" are
> actually hated by the LW leadership.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: February 02, 2016 09:57AM

January 30, 2016 — by Gary Hargrave

"Today I had the honor of being a guest speaker at the Monte Sião annual pastors’ breakfast organized by Pastor Adilson Soares from Niterói. Three hundred pastors, ministries, and spouses were in attendance, including leaders of Pentecostal and Evangelical churches. Areas such as Rio de Janeiro, São Gonçalo, and Niterói were represented."

With Gary playing to large audiences away from home, he may eventually consider making it home.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: February 02, 2016 12:49PM

I agree. I think Hargrave is going to accumulate as much wealth as he can squeeze out of the last thousand or so members and move down to South America. He could live well down there, have a few dozen house slaves, live in a mansion. He could call for a special offering, tell them he wants a cool million above what he has now. They will give it to him. Then they can turn their attention to Rick. He can take it from there.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 02, 2016 10:52PM

Is there anyone more tenacious in promoting Hargrave's ministry than Silas? God must be very proud of him!

kBOY Wrote:
> January 30, 2016 — by Gary Hargrave
>
> "Today I had the honor of being a guest speaker at
> the Monte Sião annual pastors’ breakfast
> organized by Pastor Adilson Soares from Niterói.
> Three hundred pastors, ministries, and spouses
> were in attendance, including leaders of
> Pentecostal and Evangelical churches. Areas such
> as Rio de Janeiro, São Gonçalo, and Niterói
> were represented."
>
> With Gary playing to large audiences away from
> home, he may eventually consider making it home.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: February 03, 2016 01:27PM

Well I finally completed reading the Woodrow Nichols paper which was very interesting. He has done a lot of research and put together a real nice history of not only TLW but Pentecostalism and the Latter Rain movement as well.

I find it interesting that there is so much discussion of witches and witchcraft. I knew JRS had a really comprehensive library on the occult (I had heard that from RD at one point). The trouble I have with all of the witchcraft stuff is that I have never seen it (witchcraft) work. We weren't able to get the prayers of death to Martha to work, we couldn't get the old man raised from the dead, etc. Has anyone who hangs out here ever seen any of that stuff actually work? No matter how much yelling, fist pumping and stomping we did, no matter how long and how late we did it, as far as I know not a damn thing ever came of it. The only place I have ever seen witchcraft work is in the movies.

In a similar vain, I wonder how many of the books in the JRS library covered techniques for "Cold Reading". In one of my very early TLW services there was a guy named Harold Williams from Brazil who ministered to me and told me things that were pretty impressive but the things that I remember of it could have been things that were easily guessed. I think this is a game they learn to play -- could be wrong but that is my opinion at this point. I think it is a Pentecostal parlor trick as much as anything else.

Jewel

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: February 03, 2016 03:52PM

I agree with you Jewel. Never saw it work at all.

Chapter 1 of the book "Twisted Scriptures" is titled The Discipleship Game. Very interesting discussion of how shepherds force sheep into thinking what the will of God is. I think the LW uses this trick.

Date: February 03, 2016 11:37PM

TheSarge Wrote:
> My perspective was more that many of the
> ministries seeing themselves as the gentry and the
> little people were their serfs. Sad, really, that
> there was a time that I found my self-respect in
> step and fetching and never seeing any
> reciprocity.

So true, TheSarge. I have a completely different attitude now...knowing how sick the system is.

Date: February 04, 2016 12:14AM

TheJewel Wrote:

> In a similar vain, I wonder how many of the books
> in the JRS library covered techniques for "Cold
> Reading". In one of my very early TLW services
> there was a guy named Harold Williams from Brazil
> who ministered to me and told me things that were
> pretty impressive but the things that I remember
> of it could have been things that were easily
> guessed. I think this is a game they learn to
> play -- could be wrong but that is my opinion at
> this point. I think it is a Pentecostal parlor
> trick as much as anything else.

The first experience I had with John, and his "gift" of revelation, was a marriage checkout in 1978. Basically, he said we were not ready for marriage, in part, because my future wife (we're still married, a rarity) had a submissive spirit, while I leaned toward independence (a "free-lance" spirit). Sort an unequal yoke, I guess. He used our approach to Golden Threads as an example...that my wife was fully given, while I was mostly hesitant. Following the ministry, I experienced the normal shunning people go through after not receiving a positive ministry from the man of God. Anyway, to this day I wish I had a measure of the extreme independence John possessed--without the deceptive/exploitative quality, of course. It would have spared me a lot of misery.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: February 04, 2016 12:23AM

There are double-standards that must be maintained, or "do as I say, not as I do." What's 'good' for the sheep, the shepherds need only 'consider'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 12:25AM by kBOY.

Date: February 04, 2016 01:26AM

kBOY Wrote:
> There are double-standards that must be
> maintained, or "do as I say, not as I do." What's
> 'good' for the sheep, the shepherds need only
> 'consider'.

Yeah--but I do recall God in the Sky dealing harshly with John...threatening to kill him, on occasion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.