Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: TheSarge ()
Date: December 13, 2015 04:53PM

Does it matter? I would take particular glee in the fact they can do nothing about it. If their paranoia is that extreme, I pray for them to get a rev and stop caring! (and I have the hubris to say this while posting under a pseudonym!)

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lurkers. I'm sure LW folks read and report to G&M
> if anything offensive comes up about the
> personalities of their inner circle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: December 13, 2015 11:20PM

Welcome to the forum TheSarge. Thanks for the information about Bowman.

I was surprised at your post because when reading it old memories came crashing through of when Bowman first came to Salt Lake City. He became Salt Lake City’s young people’s hero who was going to destroy the last vestiges of old order religion still lurking in Salt Lake City.

I liked Bowman, but I think I made an idol out of him. Another bond that needs to be rearranged in my memory banks.

Thanks again.

Unsentimental books about the Sixties
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 13, 2015 11:53PM

Love Needs Care: A History of the Haight Ashbury's Free Clinic by David Smith

[www.google.com]

A must read, even if you have to go to inter library loan or persuade your librarian to do a World Catalog search. The San Francisco Haight Ashbury neighborhood was packed with kids who were in desperate need of medical care. This will give you a very raw description of it all. There were speed freak hotels in the neighborhood; one psychiatrist risked his life to go into the hotel, go past paranoics armed with guns, find the room where the patient
was, pick the man up in his arms, then carry him out to the ambulance, and get him to a hospital. Health conditions at hippie communes were also grim. One clinic doctor visited a commune and found unmarked graves.

Memoirs of My Addicted Brain - Marc Lewis -- the author gives one or two memorable chapters describing Berkeley in 1967. He nearly OD'd on heroin, was terrorized during drug trips, and others he knew did die of overdoses.

Sleeping Where I Fall by Peter Coyote. (Humbly confesses how he egregiously
betrayed his mother's trust. Tells how con artists attached themselves to hippie groups and ran guilt trips. Anyone who owned something was made to feel like a criminal in relation to someone (usually the con artist) who had nothing.

Coyote describes a meeting with Gary Snyder, a Zen practitioner and poet who had formed a commune years before the concept was in fashion. Coyote and a camper full of hippies wanted to stay with Snyder.

Snyder, who was no fool, told them kindly but firmly that he and the others did *not* want the commune to become known on the hippie kid circuit, because they
would find themselves swarmed and overrun by freeloaders, moochers and parasitic types. This is one small anecdote from very many others.)

Back From the Land by Eleanor Agnew.

[www.google.com]

Many tried country living during the 1960s and 1970s. There were pied pipers who urged suburban kids to do this. The role models for this movement turned out to be persons who had had financial and social support that they never made clear to followers.

Agnew tells how she and others learned that farm work was hazardous, and that teeth went bad and trucks broke down and that dentists and mechanics were unlikely to accept payments in farm produce but needed cash payment instead. Marriages were strained, sometimes to the breaking point.

Acid Dreams

[books.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 12:00AM by corboy.

Date: December 14, 2015 12:37AM

I Googled Larry Makuakane to see if there were any history on him. All I discovered was this obituary notice from 1999. It does not list Leilani Makuakane-Potter as a survivor. But he and Carolyn were in the hotel business in Hawaii when they were married, so it makes sense he would have returned to that:

"Lawrence “Larry” Makuakane, 70, of Honolulu, a retired head doorman for the Ilikai Hotel, died Saturday in Honolulu. He is survived by wife Arkelina “Kani”, sons Lawrence Jr. and Bernard, sister Lucy Kailiwai and a granddaughter. Services: 11 a.m. Thursday at Hawaiian Memorial Park Mortuary. Call after 9 a.m. Burial to follow. Aloha attire."

lily rose Wrote:
> Since changedagain brought up the sons of Anak, I
> have a lingering question. I was reminded of a
> post that I read on fact net (don't know if it was
> accurate) that Larry Makuakane (he drove the van
> for JRS and pastored a while in Hawaii) ended up a
> neph channel turning against and cursing JRS.
> Prior to reading this, it seemed to me that within
> the LW only females were identified as nephs. I
> also read that not too long ago, Larry's daughter
> became a pastor. Does anyone know Larry's story?
> He was very kind to me when I worked at the LW and
> I find it hard to fathom he could have been a
> neph.

Date: December 14, 2015 12:57AM

Thanks, FCSLC. Bowman was bigger than life and I was in awe of him. But he was some sort of savant, I think, and was very lonely.

FCSLC Wrote:
> Welcome to the forum TheSarge. Thanks for the
> information about Bowman.
>
> I was surprised at your post because when reading
> it old memories came crashing through of when
> Bowman first came to Salt Lake City. He became
> Salt Lake City’s young people’s hero who was
> going to destroy the last vestiges of old order
> religion still lurking in Salt Lake City.
>
> I liked Bowman, but I think I made an idol out of
> him. Another bond that needs to be rearranged in
> my memory banks.
>
> Thanks again.

Date: December 14, 2015 01:02AM

I just posted something about Larry Makuakane but now I don't think it could be him because it had him as 70 in 1999. I think that's too old. Other things I saw in the Google listings has a Lawrence Makuakane, 66, in Wisc. I didn't think a Hawaiian would be living in the snow. So, please disregard this info until I am able to find something more concrete. I'm the researching type, but this time I jumped to a conclusion. My apologies.

Re: Unsentimental books about the Sixties
Date: December 14, 2015 01:22AM

Corboy, I appreciate you taking the time to list all these references. You are apparently someone who has a negative take of the cultural revolution of the 1960s. You do realize that the whole generation was not all drug-crazed, sex-crazed, anti-establishment freaks. That is as much a stereotype as the rose-colored glasses image you are wanting to break. Romanticizing the past is human nature. Our parents romanticized a simplier life in the 1940s and 1950s, that that was WWII, the start of the Cold W, ar, the Korean conflict, McCarthyism, and the advent of consumerism brainwashing.

If you want a composite of the unwashed youth of the 1960s and 1970s who came in as the Second Generation of the Walk, then start with the children of the first who began to question the mores of their parents. As JRS made a place for the young people, they brought their friends. JRS talked about the "hippies" with their long hair, bare feet, and casual garb -- but they weren't the only youth there. My mother thought Simon and Garfunkel were as noisy as the Doors.

JRS was welcoming a group of people willing to shed convention and accept something more radical in conventional religion to keep them from wandering off. He did the same with the Third Generation. We don't wear rose-colored glasses. We are removing the brain worms of brainwashing that kept us a part of a cult and reclaiming our minds.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: December 14, 2015 01:47AM

I think one of the things that makes people open to deception is the charismatic principle that certain people speak "under the anointing" either sometimes, or, as in the case of a leader such as JRS, all the time. With people that follow that thinking, they don't just consider what is spoken as to be true or false, right or wrong, or partially true. They just take whatever is said to be "God Himself speaking through a man." That is the same principle as Catholics have accepted, for when the pope speaks, when he is sitting in his pope chair or whatever, and it is the same principle that someone told me recently, "when a pastor speaks from the pulpit, he can not be wrong."

That in itself is the cause of deception, not just in the Living Word Fellowship, but it is rampant in all cults and in an unknown number of churches that may not be cults at the moment, but they could get crazy at any second.

JRS had to know that he was running a scam on people. He had to know that people were giving sacraficially and they were working their @$$es off in those "kingdom businesses" either that or he was a total fool that only believed what he was spoon fed by his entourage. Either way, I do not accept anything that he ever taught. If anything that he taught was true, that is fine, if I hear it from someone unconnected with him, I will judge it at face value, true or false, but to me there is just too much evidence that JOHN ROBERT STEVENS was either a con man or he was a man that was so egotistical that he could not be wrong and that is what got him off track.

Date: December 14, 2015 02:01AM

Lily Rose, it was either the winter of '78 or '79 in Shiloh when they were snowed in for an extended period of time that JRS set in several women as pastors. I know specially three: Marilyn, Mary Wyatt, and Phyllis Crow. There were others, but I just can't remember their names. I believe once Marilyn was commissioned a pastor that she began participating in bring the Word with John.

lily rose Wrote:
> Apostle Dog,
>
> Whether or not he would have gone
> as far as G&M in setting in female pastors, I am
> not sure.

Date: December 14, 2015 02:25AM

Here is an excerpt about Marilyn from her and Gary's website:

"In 1963, at John Stevens’ request, Marilyn began transcribing the personal ministry portions of his services. This was the beginning of the transcribing department of The Living Word. It was the first of many departments and functions that were created by Marilyn in her drive to preserve and distribute the Word spoken by John Robert Stevens. She did this with a vision to see the Word applied in each person’s life and to create the fulfillment of what God was rest7oring to His Church."

Lily Rose, it is true that Marilyn was all business. She created the entire secretarial phenomenon of the Blix House. Those who lived there were under Marilyn's oversight. They were all tape editors who traveled with him, sat in a certain section of the churches to log the services for editing, and then went back to create a transcribing copy of the tape before the final edit which took place in a garage on Blix property. Other young women lived in apartments nearby who handled catalogueing, transcribing, filing, and phone answering. Everyone was on call 24/7. Everything was to Marilyn's specification. If someone couldn't cut it, they were no longer working there. A 60-hour work week was expected. If someone had a 40 hour a week job, then they were there at Blix 20 hours. If someone went to school 12 hours a week, then she would at Blix 48 hours a week.

If she wasn't at JRS' house for logging and recording him, she was in her room working. The Blix Girls were not allowed to bother her. Notes were slipped under her door. Her mother, Bessie, prepared crock pots of food for JRS when he was driving in the van from one service to the next. Whatever might be left over, the workers were allowed to eat. There was always intercession happening there as well at different "critical" times.

All other WordWork eventually was at TLW: tape duplication, mailing, book and This Week editing. At one point, the transcribing was removed from Blix to TLW.
Although Charles Beach and then eventually Scott McDonald and Steve Seboldt were overseeing TLW, Marilyn had direct impact on ALL work having to do with any LW publications.

lily rose Wrote:
> Apostle Dog,
>
> My experience with her was that she was
> strictly church business. One thing a friend
> noticed was during worship she seldom closed her
> eyes like the rest of us and tended to gawk around
> at everyone. I think a lot of people with ADD
> (attention deficit disorder) did that. But I think
> M was a very focused person and no nonsense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.