Current Page: 15 of 15
Re: PSI Seminars: What happend at PSI 7
Posted by: Steve989 ()
Date: March 16, 2008 11:00PM

This was posted on livejournal.

[spasticity.livejournal.com]

PSI Seminar - just say no
Last Thursday through Sunday I attended a PSI Seminar in Portland, OR with my stepmother & sister. Yes I was wary, however, I didn't pay for the course it was purchased for me as a "gift". The schedule went something like this:

Thursday: 6pm to 12am (One 20 minute break)
Friday: 6pm to 12am (One 20 minute break)
Saturday: 10am - 9pm (Two 20 minute breaks and one "working" lunch)
Sunday: 9am - 8pm (Two 20 minute breaks one of which is an "in room" break to sign up for seminars and one "working" lunch)

Due to the temperature of the room (freezing) I made sure to wear my hoodie and stay warm the entire time. As it was difficult to get dinner Sat & Sunday I spent my breaks in the lobby or in the hotel room eating apples to stay full. I also did this to get time to myself because being around 60 strangers on an emotional rollercoaster for 4 days with little time to yourself other than to sleep is overwhelming.

The ideas or "tools" they teach I believe are positive for the most part. WIN-WIN, GIVERS GAIN etc. It's the methods they use to teach the "tools" that I absolutely don't agree with. Lectures are fine but food deprivation (one lunch and only 20 mins for dinner where you were highly encouraged to stick around and talk with others), sleep deprivation (due to physical,mental/emotional exhaustion) and being made to sit in a physically uncomfortable room for extended periods of time I don't agree with. The chairs were uncomfortable and the air conditioning on - it was 30 degrees outside airconditioning was SO not necessary. The perceived option to "choose" to participate in the program/"tools" was given however there was no mention they would be given to you in a reduced/vunerable mental state.

Interestingly enough the Psychologist Robert Jay Lifton identified the various steps used in brainwashing or in this case I think PSI calls it "reprogramming". Wow PSI Seminar's really must have liked what Lifton had to say about former Korean & Chinese war camp prisoners because they used each and every one of these:

1. Assault on identity - Went through a meditative exercise - to literally break down. By mid session of the first day pretty much the entire group was crying men and women. Some people were outright sobbing. You are not a bad person - you are a set of learned behaviors from your parents - and your parents their parents etc. I'm fairly certain 60 strangers sobbing in a room is abnormal.

2. Guilt - Meditative exercises - some with another person to discuss/reflect on "broken agreements" with yourself and others and how that makes you "feel" - this also resulted in most of the room sobbing.

3. Self-betrayal - Exercises and lecture going into detail about "broken agreements" and staying true to your "word" to avoid "broken agreements" because broken agreements only hurt yourself and others.

4. Breaking point - By the 2nd & 3rd day some of the group had some sort of "break through" and felt the need to share. Some people shared that they were confused at the point. Other people would periodically cry for no apparent reason.

5. Leniency - After two days of crying on and off, lectures & group exercises we were informed that the "tools" we would need would be taught to us

6. Compulsion to confess - 2nd day we were all asked to stand up if we broke any of the "agreements" such as eating during a session, chewing gum, side talking etc. This went on until every person in the room was standing due to a broken agreement. Basically admit what you've done wrong so you can be helped. Interestingly enough, many people "broke agreements" with themselves and didn't stand up right away when they knew they had broken an agreement.

7. Channeling of guilt - Meditative state flipping through past "piles" of "broken agreements" in addition to a lecture of identifying you're negative feelings and attaching them to past "broken agreements" to yourself and/or others.

8. Releasing of guilt - Lecture & meditative state you can change your "programs" now by locking your old programs away. Now that you are aware of your programs you can now be truly accountable. Before now you didn't know better and were not responsible for your "programs" yadda yadda

9. Progress and harmony - You can choose to be + or -. Use + I am statements and use the tools (visualization) they've provided. There were various exercises that encouraged + feedback verbal & physical (hugs)

10. Final confession and rebirth - Meditative state - reflection of who you really are - shedding of the old hard,putrid,crusty you with "broken agreements" to the new shiny white light suit wearing better person.

If the above is done without ones true understanding or consent (whether it be for
a perceived good) it's not really fair is it? I think there are better (more
consensual) ways to incorporate these types of values on others' lives without
resorting to the LGAT methods PSI has to offer.

That said, I had a good time at PSI and was very thankful I was there with my family. At times it was extremely uncomfortable (one exercise involved yelling and being yelled at by multiple people) and I left physically and mentally exhausted so having family there was certainly a relief. I will say that there were very noticable changes in a few people in the class (for the better). I still feel pretty tired from it all and know it will take me a few days to decompress.

Is it a cult? According to Dictionary.com a cult is the following: a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. I guess that means yes. But Then it also means I work at a cult and that people at the store are a cult because they all have a veneration for groceries. HA I don't even know what veneration means.

How nice, I participated in a LGAT cult that attempted to brainwash me into being a better person. Interestingly enough the person that was our sponsor was my stepmother's shrink. I'm sensing a big conflict of interest here. In fact our sponsor brought in more people to the seminar than any of the others and now that I think about it many may have been her own clients. I didn't opt into the additional PSI seminars they offered for $3000-$4000 however there were people that did in the class.

There is a "graduation" (ie recruitment) ceremony in Tacoma on Thursday. I was going to go. Hell I even invited Lady to come for the graduation without really thinking about what the hell I was doing at that moment (please smack me for that one). I walked by the schedule laying on the bed in the hotel room while I was on the phone with her and without thinking was like HEY you should totally come next Thursday. (SMACK SMACK SMACK) Instead I'm opting to use my PSI tools against themselves and choose replace PSI with better things like....friends and food on Thursday.

My stepmother has been on the phone rounding people to go up on Thursday. I called my dad and let him know the worst thing he could do right now is argue with her or be negative about her experience at the seminar since it would just reinforce everything she learned.

Would I recommend PSI Seminars? I recommend the tools not the methods used to teach them so at this point after much reflection yesterday and today...no it's probably not for most people although I can (and have) see how some people can benefit.

All I have to say is that I LOVE FREE ORGANIC APPLES. I LOVE MY HOODIE. I LOVE MY STRONG WILL. I LOVE MY SANE BRAIN (even if it momentarily lapses) *edit* and last but definitely not least I LOVE LADY!!!

Suspicious
I posted a comment on a blog regarding PSI the other night and my post was deleted. The only reason I noticed is because I got an email confirming a new comment on the particular blog. The new comment..there was none but my post was certainly deleted. So much for people trying to make informed decisions about PSI Seminars. At least I've proved a point to myself. One of my sentences was in my reposted comment twice but hey maybe it drives the point.

[www.blogger.com]

Might be interesting to watch this string to see if my post sticks around.

*UPDATE*
As I anticipated my comment was again deleted as of January 31, 2008. Interestingly enough it was deleted and the blog owner responded with the following post: "Please only leave positive comments on this blog."

That said this is what I posted - is it negative? I suppose if you're only wanting people to see one side of the story.

Well my comment can hang out...

If you only are hoping for positive comments regarding PSI then state that up front in your blog. My post from yesterday was deleted so I'm reposting it below.

The ideas or "tools" they teach I believe are very positive. I know because I opted to attend a seminar in Portland over the last 4 days. It's the LGAT methods they use to teach the "tools" that I absolutely don't agree with. Lectures are fine but food deprivation (one lunch and only 20 mins for dinner where you were highly encouraged to stick around and talk with others), sleep deprivation (due to physical,mental/emotional exhaustion) and being made or as we all know "choosing" to sit in a physically uncomfortable room for extended periods of time I don't agree with. The chairs were uncomfortable and the air conditioning on - it was 30 degrees outside air conditioning was not necessary. The perceived option to "choose" to participate in the program or "tools" was given however there was no mention they would be given to you in a reduced/vunerable mental & physical state.

LGAT's are a mechanism to promote awareness change and thorough rapid commitment to a cause or idea which is exactly what PSI is. LGATs tend to brief but intense sessions of a few hours or days in which participants ideally adopt the message of the training promptly and enthusiastically.

LGATs utilize peer pressure and group dynamics in a high-pressure environment to promote uncritical togetherness and thus market their "tools" with a propensity to recruit new participants into a participation-oriented money making scheme under the guise of providing useful training.

Interestingly enough the Psychologist Robert Jay Lifton identified the various steps used in brainwashing or in this case I think the following may ring the right bell for many of you as "choosing new programs".

Any of the following look familiar?

[people.howstuffworks.com]

If the above is done without ones true understanding or consent (whether it be for a perceived good) is it truly fair? I think there are better (more consensual) ways to incorporate these types of values on others' lives without resorting to the LGAT methods PSI has to offer.

Keep the tools they are valueable. Keep your $$. There are cheaper and less financially & less destructive ways to grow.

I'm truly glad the seminar has helped each of you. Yes I really mean that. However, please keep in mind of what was really occurring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 19, 2008 12:14PM

Check this out. This idiot says he can increase your wealth if you took courses in Landmark and PSI Seminars.

[sandiego.craigslist.org]

Posted by: Jeri442 ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:59AM

Steve989
This was posted on livejournal.

[spasticity.livejournal.com]

PSI Seminar - just say no
Last Thursday through Sunday I attended a PSI Seminar in Portland, OR with my stepmother & sister. Yes I was wary, however, I didn't pay for the course it was purchased for me as a "gift". The schedule went something like this:

Thursday: 6pm to 12am (One 20 minute break)
Friday: 6pm to 12am (One 20 minute break)
Saturday: 10am - 9pm (Two 20 minute breaks and one "working" lunch)
Sunday: 9am - 8pm (Two 20 minute breaks one of which is an "in room" break to sign up for seminars and one "working" lunch)

Due to the temperature of the room (freezing) I made sure to wear my hoodie and stay warm the entire time. As it was difficult to get dinner Sat & Sunday I spent my breaks in the lobby or in the hotel room eating apples to stay full. I also did this to get time to myself because being around 60 strangers on an emotional rollercoaster for 4 days with little time to yourself other than to sleep is overwhelming.

The ideas or "tools" they teach I believe are positive for the most part. WIN-WIN, GIVERS GAIN etc. It's the methods they use to teach the "tools" that I absolutely don't agree with. Lectures are fine but food deprivation (one lunch and only 20 mins for dinner where you were highly encouraged to stick around and talk with others), sleep deprivation (due to physical,mental/emotional exhaustion) and being made to sit in a physically uncomfortable room for extended periods of time I don't agree with. The chairs were uncomfortable and the air conditioning on - it was 30 degrees outside airconditioning was SO not necessary. The perceived option to "choose" to participate in the program/"tools" was given however there was no mention they would be given to you in a reduced/vunerable mental state.

Interestingly enough the Psychologist Robert Jay Lifton identified the various steps used in brainwashing or in this case I think PSI calls it "reprogramming". Wow PSI Seminar's really must have liked what Lifton had to say about former Korean & Chinese war camp prisoners because they used each and every one of these:

1. Assault on identity - Went through a meditative exercise - to literally break down. By mid session of the first day pretty much the entire group was crying men and women. Some people were outright sobbing. You are not a bad person - you are a set of learned behaviors from your parents - and your parents their parents etc. I'm fairly certain 60 strangers sobbing in a room is abnormal.

2. Guilt - Meditative exercises - some with another person to discuss/reflect on "broken agreements" with yourself and others and how that makes you "feel" - this also resulted in most of the room sobbing.

3. Self-betrayal - Exercises and lecture going into detail about "broken agreements" and staying true to your "word" to avoid "broken agreements" because broken agreements only hurt yourself and others.

4. Breaking point - By the 2nd & 3rd day some of the group had some sort of "break through" and felt the need to share. Some people shared that they were confused at the point. Other people would periodically cry for no apparent reason.

5. Leniency - After two days of crying on and off, lectures & group exercises we were informed that the "tools" we would need would be taught to us

6. Compulsion to confess - 2nd day we were all asked to stand up if we broke any of the "agreements" such as eating during a session, chewing gum, side talking etc. This went on until every person in the room was standing due to a broken agreement. Basically admit what you've done wrong so you can be helped. Interestingly enough, many people "broke agreements" with themselves and didn't stand up right away when they knew they had broken an agreement.

7. Channeling of guilt - Meditative state flipping through past "piles" of "broken agreements" in addition to a lecture of identifying you're negative feelings and attaching them to past "broken agreements" to yourself and/or others.

8. Releasing of guilt - Lecture & meditative state you can change your "programs" now by locking your old programs away. Now that you are aware of your programs you can now be truly accountable. Before now you didn't know better and were not responsible for your "programs" yadda yadda

9. Progress and harmony - You can choose to be + or -. Use + I am statements and use the tools (visualization) they've provided. There were various exercises that encouraged + feedback verbal & physical (hugs)

10. Final confession and rebirth - Meditative state - reflection of who you really are - shedding of the old hard,putrid,crusty you with "broken agreements" to the new shiny white light suit wearing better person.

If the above is done without ones true understanding or consent (whether it be for
a perceived good) it's not really fair is it? I think there are better (more
consensual) ways to incorporate these types of values on others' lives without
resorting to the LGAT methods PSI has to offer.

That said, I had a good time at PSI and was very thankful I was there with my family. At times it was extremely uncomfortable (one exercise involved yelling and being yelled at by multiple people) and I left physically and mentally exhausted so having family there was certainly a relief. I will say that there were very noticable changes in a few people in the class (for the better). I still feel pretty tired from it all and know it will take me a few days to decompress.

Is it a cult? According to Dictionary.com a cult is the following: a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. I guess that means yes. But Then it also means I work at a cult and that people at the store are a cult because they all have a veneration for groceries. HA I don't even know what veneration means.

How nice, I participated in a LGAT cult that attempted to brainwash me into being a better person. Interestingly enough the person that was our sponsor was my stepmother's shrink. I'm sensing a big conflict of interest here. In fact our sponsor brought in more people to the seminar than any of the others and now that I think about it many may have been her own clients. I didn't opt into the additional PSI seminars they offered for $3000-$4000 however there were people that did in the class.

There is a "graduation" (ie recruitment) ceremony in Tacoma on Thursday. I was going to go. Hell I even invited Lady to come for the graduation without really thinking about what the hell I was doing at that moment (please smack me for that one). I walked by the schedule laying on the bed in the hotel room while I was on the phone with her and without thinking was like HEY you should totally come next Thursday. (SMACK SMACK SMACK) Instead I'm opting to use my PSI tools against themselves and choose replace PSI with better things like....friends and food on Thursday.

My stepmother has been on the phone rounding people to go up on Thursday. I called my dad and let him know the worst thing he could do right now is argue with her or be negative about her experience at the seminar since it would just reinforce everything she learned.

Would I recommend PSI Seminars? I recommend the tools not the methods used to teach them so at this point after much reflection yesterday and today...no it's probably not for most people although I can (and have) see how some people can benefit.

All I have to say is that I LOVE FREE ORGANIC APPLES. I LOVE MY HOODIE. I LOVE MY STRONG WILL. I LOVE MY SANE BRAIN (even if it momentarily lapses) *edit* and last but definitely not least I LOVE LADY!!!

Suspicious
I posted a comment on a blog regarding PSI the other night and my post was deleted. The only reason I noticed is because I got an email confirming a new comment on the particular blog. The new comment..there was none but my post was certainly deleted. So much for people trying to make informed decisions about PSI Seminars. At least I've proved a point to myself. One of my sentences was in my reposted comment twice but hey maybe it drives the point.

[www.blogger.com]

Might be interesting to watch this string to see if my post sticks around.

*UPDATE*
As I anticipated my comment was again deleted as of January 31, 2008. Interestingly enough it was deleted and the blog owner responded with the following post: "Please only leave positive comments on this blog."

That said this is what I posted - is it negative? I suppose if you're only wanting people to see one side of the story.

Well my comment can hang out...

If you only are hoping for positive comments regarding PSI then state that up front in your blog. My post from yesterday was deleted so I'm reposting it below.

The ideas or "tools" they teach I believe are very positive. I know because I opted to attend a seminar in Portland over the last 4 days. It's the LGAT methods they use to teach the "tools" that I absolutely don't agree with. Lectures are fine but food deprivation (one lunch and only 20 mins for dinner where you were highly encouraged to stick around and talk with others), sleep deprivation (due to physical,mental/emotional exhaustion) and being made or as we all know "choosing" to sit in a physically uncomfortable room for extended periods of time I don't agree with. The chairs were uncomfortable and the air conditioning on - it was 30 degrees outside air conditioning was not necessary. The perceived option to "choose" to participate in the program or "tools" was given however there was no mention they would be given to you in a reduced/vunerable mental & physical state.

LGAT's are a mechanism to promote awareness change and thorough rapid commitment to a cause or idea which is exactly what PSI is. LGATs tend to brief but intense sessions of a few hours or days in which participants ideally adopt the message of the training promptly and enthusiastically.

LGATs utilize peer pressure and group dynamics in a high-pressure environment to promote uncritical togetherness and thus market their "tools" with a propensity to recruit new participants into a participation-oriented money making scheme under the guise of providing useful training.

Interestingly enough the Psychologist Robert Jay Lifton identified the various steps used in brainwashing or in this case I think the following may ring the right bell for many of you as "choosing new programs".

Any of the following look familiar?

[people.howstuffworks.com]

If the above is done without ones true understanding or consent (whether it be for a perceived good) is it truly fair? I think there are better (more consensual) ways to incorporate these types of values on others' lives without resorting to the LGAT methods PSI has to offer.

Keep the tools they are valueable. Keep your $$. There are cheaper and less financially & less destructive ways to grow.

I'm truly glad the seminar has helped each of you. Yes I really mean that. However, please keep in mind of what was really occurring.

I wished I had said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: X of PSI Zombie ()
Date: July 05, 2008 02:21AM

I wished I never heard of PSI after what they did to my husband.

Posted by: X of PSI Zombie ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:00PM

My daughter is really taking this very hard and seems to be having problems dealing with her father as he's trying, without success, to to recruit her to PSI. She loves her father but she is starting to feel like she needs to avoid him until he stops and realizes what he is doing. But after this length of time I doubt that's going to happen.

Date: September 21, 2008 09:24AM

More information on PSI. Can anyone tell me what BLP means?? Apparently PSI is laying on the tough sell to take as many classes as fast as possible.

LALS Grads, Attention LS Grads!

-- On Fri, 9/19/08, wrote:
Subject: LALSGrads Attention LS Grads!
To:
Date: Friday, September 19, 2008, 7:02 PM
Vxxxxx::
I am willing to periodically donate 50% of the cost of the basic to a deaf student as long as there is already one deaf student enrolled. This way Fern's efforts are more concentrated. I am also willing to periodically donate $100.00 to Jxxx’s fund that will be named by another.

I am also interested in having a discussion within this yahoo group about making BLP's continuously a success no matter what the current L.A. PLD Team is capable of. Lately, I have noticed that a bigger effort seems to be going to the community service events which are always successful. Those events seem to get a lot of LS grad support as well and for some reason or another they never ever fail! Then what happens while the players are on the PLD home stretch and possibly on some level of overwhelm BLP is added on and from what I have seen lately, more often than not this event produces less than wonderful results. It is viewed as "failing forward" and that is fine as long as the lessons are learned. This is great for the players, though I believe the attendees who are in judgment receive a less than wonderful image of what PSI, the best path for personal growth is all about. Now, if unbeknownst to the PLD Team, LS grads support this event with the same vibration and bring guests to it who are ready to enroll, then the players can say what worked was the support out there and the lessons learned from what did not work can still benefit them, though the city's image is unblemished at the same time.

I am off to Principia on Saturday and I will not be on line at all until my return on the 29th, though I would like to receive some feed back on this topic, now.

Rxxxxx Exxxn

In a message dated 9/19/2008 11:43:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, XXXXX writes:

There is a player on LA PLD Team 26, Jxxx Wxxxxx, who is putting together a fund to help sponsor individuals who want to take the BASIC
and are not able to pay for all of it. Jxxx is looking for donations and particularly at least one person to donate $1000+ who will name the
fund whatever they chose. Please contact Jxxx Wxxxxxx if you are interested: or xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you!

Vxxxxx

Rxxxxx,

Please contact Jxxx for anything relating to the fund! I will forward her what you sent.

I completely agree with you about the BLP. My team had a rough time with the BLP and I'm sure all teams whether large or small could use our support in bringing guests. Team 26's BLP is over although Team 27's is probably coming up at the end of October or beginning of November. I feel that a BLP is often the best way to reach out to someone who is on the fence about taking the basic.

Thank you for your input! See you at Principia!!

Love,
Vxxxxxx

Date: October 23, 2008 11:25AM

Well people; PSI does it again. Another family going down the tubes for the almighty dollar. This was posted on another site today.

“PSI: The Homewrecker
First of all I would like to congradulate all of the emotionally uneven and financially distressed adults who took PSI and enjoyed it. Congrats, you're still not OK because you think paying someone to listen to them tell you how to be successful for four day.

I would just like to say that PSI may is 100% brainwash, and 0% helpful. My mom and her boyfriend have been involved with PSI for years and it is tearing our family apart. Now I'm not just talking about the people in my house, I literally mean all of my extended family.

There are five children in the house, one of which is disabled. I am teh oldest, 17, and am getting kicked out of my house because my mom is so obsessed with psi that she thinks I shouldn't be allowed to have my negative opinions on it.

The second oldest, my step-sister, is constantly guilted into going to PSI gatherings and parties. Finally she agreed to go to the basic..she left after two hours. There are three more, my 14 year old step-brother, my 12 year old step-brother, and the youngest, my little sister 11.

My parents are very seldom around. Why? Because they are at PSI. We are neglected to the point that we are forced to take care of each other, and many adults around me have suggested we call CPS. Thye haven't gone grocery shopping in almost three months. Sure were not starving, but thats because we have things around to eat like jelly, ranch, and barbeque sauce.

All my parents do is complain about our money situation, but all they do is spend thier money on PSI.

I don't think you people realize that they are in it FOR THE MONEY.

Hey PLD we want you guys to play a ***. Whoever sells the more "accept your greatness" PSI buttons wins the game!

Meaning" whoever makes the most money for us wins.

My grandmother had 20,000 dollars to her name fro retirement, and now it's PSI's.

My grandma was forced to live with us and I now sleep on the loveseat in the living room. Im nearly six feet tall, and have back problems. I don't even fit on the couch. Not a big deal but it still ***.

My extended family hates PSI for what it has done to my family and how my brothers and sisters and I are neglected how my grandmother has spent everything she has on psi.

My mom and step-dad often fight about psi too, causing them to a near divorce.

It is the only thing they talk about from when they wake up to when they go to sleep at night.

Thanks mom for spending $4650.00 to do psi7, because we haven't money for new toothbrushes in a year.”

Date: December 13, 2008 11:43PM

This was posted on a blog I just found.

"Hey everyone. I feel the need to get this out in the air so that none of you fall victim to this scam. This is a group called PSI. They host seminars which cost $480 for the “Basic” (first of a series). They try to sell you other seminars that cost upwards of $3500. They market these seminars as teaching you many useful tools like motivation, time management, letting go of your inhibitions, yada yada yada. Basically, for the “low cost” of the seminar, we will fix all your problems. I know someone who personally went through part of this and I am warning you, they use mild brainwashing techniques and are very demeaning. They get you locked into a state where you need to keep hearing these seminars in order to function. They can easily ruin your life be convincing you that you should get what you want now without having to work for it. Many people come out and buy houses they cant afford, max out their credit cards (or what is left after you have charged them for the cost of the seminar), and even break up with spouses and friends because their spouses are not taking the courses.

Please use extreme caution if any of your friends ask you to go to one of these. Make sure you look up some of the stories yourself if you are thinking of going. Type in “PSI Seminar” into Google and read for yourself."

Current Page: 15 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.