Current Page: 8 of 9
Landmark Columnist Writes Letter to Self
Posted by: elena ()
Date: November 30, 2006 02:29AM

Maggie
In Laura's column today:

To those readers who read last week's column and inferred that I have been captured by a cult: I can assure you I'm fine. I researched the Landmark Forum thoroughly before attending and decided to check it out anyway. I had fun, and I remain in full possession of my skeptical mind. To those of you who oppose the seminar and think I have piqued others' interest by writing about it, perhaps I have. But the purpose of my column is to cross boundaries.

...I notice she didn't even hint that her column might have come across to some people as an advertisment or endorsement for a (money-grubbing) cult.

Ellen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 30, 2006 02:50AM

To those readers who read last week's column and inferred that I have been captured by a cult: I can assure you I'm fine. I researched the Landmark Forum thoroughly before attending and decided to check it out anyway. I had fun, and I remain in full possession of my skeptical mind. To those of you who oppose the seminar and think I have piqued others' interest by writing about it, perhaps I have. But the purpose of my column is to cross boundaries.

[www.explorernews.com]

Perhaps others had "inferred that I have been captured by a cult" by I wonder what she has inferred? I wonder if she will continue on with the free Seminar Series, the Advanced Course, and now try to "enroll" everyone in her life in new possibilites whilst utilizing "loaded language" jargon - or if she can move on, stop using this jargon, and hold her tongue about recommending this controversial course to anyone - especially in the form of a full-on advertisement.

Posted by: drivingthecar ()
Date: November 30, 2006 03:00AM

Maggie
In Laura's column today:

What a cop-out. There's a subtle derision here of people "who oppose the seminar." She makes them sound like they are alarmists for no good reason.

And what's up with this: "I had fun"?

And this..."I have piqued others' interest by writing about it, perhaps I have. But the purpose of my column is to cross boundaries."

OK then, why don't you go out and murder someone and write about it? Since you'll be "crossing boundaries" there.

And since when did "crossing boundaries" mean "piquing interest" in a self-help seminar anyway?

I can't tell if this woman has been brainwashed or if she just lacks critical thinking skills in general.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: November 30, 2006 03:01AM

Maggie
In Laura's column today:

Crossing boundaries into mind-control is a stupid and dangerous thing to do. As Ellen said about Landmark/LGATs in another thread:

" . . . all products designed to exploit the incautious, the uneducated, the unaware, and the desperate and keep them paying and paying and paying."

Perhaps for Laura going to Landmark was a "harmless" game/exploration, but that most certainly will not be the case for the readers who may attend as a result of her column.

Again, herein lies the danger: LGATs are wolves in sheep's clothing. Part of the scam is the well-constructed illusion that they are benign little fun experiences of personal discovery and self-growth, such that even the unaffected see no problem endorsing them.

Dangerous.

skeptic

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 30, 2006 03:23AM

I tried to give Laura Marble the benefit of the doubt, but she's lost that.
Its clear she is out to write about Landmark and... "piqued others' interest by writing about it".

That is a pure Landmark soft-sell...
"hey, it is a controversy, so come and see for yourself, so we can f*ck with your mind without your awareness, you clueless lost soul".

For someone who is supposed to be a WRITER for Godsakes, and deal in truth, she is doing a lot of mealy-mouthed ambiguity and game-playing.
She knows if she openly supports Landmark, she will blow it.

So its a perfect Landmarkians soft-sell...ambiguous enough to draw people in. Who knows if she even really "just" attended Landmark, or did it before. Who knows if she is, or is not, enrolled in more Landmark courses...yet.

So she says Landmark is "fun" eh?
Then why does Landmark have this huge DISCLAIMER WARNING PEOPLE TO NOT TAKE THE LANDMARK SEMINAR, and that the Landmark seminar can wreck your life?
[board.culteducation.com]

Sorry, she's not being honest in her writing. Anyone can smell that a mile away.
First rule of writing...BE HONEST.
People can smell bullshit from long down the road.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 30, 2006 05:34AM

Laura's writing comes across as somewhat self-centered and narcissistic.

Maybe she is a good fit for the Landmark philosophy and mindset.

But she just doesn't "get it."

That is, Landmark hurts people.

Instead, Laura just wants to have "fun."

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 30, 2006 06:18AM

Laura's writing comes across as somewhat self-centered and narcissistic.

Maybe she is a good fit for the Landmark philosophy and mindset.

But she just doesn't "get it."

That is, Landmark hurts people.

Instead, Laura just wants to have "fun."

Indeed, even this new piece by Laura Marble reads more like an advertisement than anything else. Perhaps that is how she wanted it to be from the get-go - an advertisement for Landmark Education - couched inside of a column which she felt was humorous or sattire.

Posted by: Morrow ()
Date: December 04, 2006 11:37AM

Madshus

I would really be curious to hear if you keep that sentiment as time goes on, or if you catch yourself using Landmark jargon in your day to day life as the days go by... as I said earlier, I do believe an individual can attend Landmark and not be affected for life... I just haven't seen it yet. Maybe your transformation is just beginning... after all, whether it was tongue-in-cheek or not, you've already felt the urge to talk about Landmark in your column. :wink: I wonder what lies ahead.

I don't feel like I've been particularly affected. I don't feel like it wounded or maimed me in any way shape or form, though I certainly don't doubt any of your own personal testimonials. My own experience was simply very different from what others on this forum have listed, perhaps because I took the Teen version. :wink: I felt no pressure to participate and I was never coerced into signing up for advanced sessions or seminars.

Again, I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with this program, but it doesn't rule out the fact that there [i:60a02d5b29]are[/i:60a02d5b29] others who have had positive (or neutral) experiences, and their differing viewpoints do not make them brainwashed, ignorant, or naive. Rather, their viewpoints are just as valid as the voices here who feel that they were personally injured by this group.

I fear now that I will be accused of being brainwashed because I have no qualms with an organization that has already been thoroughly vilified in this thread, but please note that I am hardly a vapid supporter of Landmark. Yet, even had I absolutely hated it, I still would not feel particularly aggrieved, as at most, it was money and time I lost and nothing more. With respect, I certainly experienced no villainous hate group or terrorist organization, which seem to me to be time better spent for this community.

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: December 05, 2006 04:26AM

Morrow
I don't feel like I've been particularly affected. I don't feel like it wounded or maimed me in any way shape or form, though I certainly don't doubt any of your own personal testimonials. My own experience was simply very different from what others on this forum have listed, perhaps because I took the Teen version. I felt no pressure to participate and I was never coerced into signing up for advanced sessions or seminars.

Not affected? Well, you're lucky, but as I like to say, 'the proofs in the pudding'. Wounded or maimed? Yes, I was wondering why Laura's 'infomercial' made that reference - I thought it was part of LGAT strategy. Teen Version? So, you've been LGATing it for a while, or you just decided to do the Teen version as an adult? No pressure to participate? No coercion? Did you go with your parents?

Again, I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with this program, but it doesn't rule out the fact that there [i:cfb7d96d48]are[/i:cfb7d96d48] others who have had positive (or neutral) experiences, and their differing viewpoints do not make them brainwashed, ignorant, or naive. Rather, their viewpoints are just as valid as the voices here who feel that they were personally injured by this group.

Well, don't doubt the bad experiences. Spend some time and research the topic of Landmark (Scientology), so that you can see what we're harping on about. Positive and/or neutral experiences are possible (Werner and his family have many of those), but the human impact of group therapy needs to be accountable. And, yes, all our voices are valid!

I fear now that I will be accused of being brainwashed because I have no qualms with an organization that has already been thoroughly vilified in this thread, but please note that I am hardly a vapid supporter of Landmark. Yet, even had I absolutely hated it, I still would not feel particularly aggrieved, as at most, it was money and time I lost and nothing more. With respect, I certainly experienced no villainous hate group or terrorist organization, which seem to me to be time better spent for this community.

We haven't accused you of being 'brainwashed'. Do you have suspicions? Mention of hate groups, terrorist organisations, etc. is rather melodramatic, don't you think?

That's all we're asking of you and of ourselves - think! Think for yourself...it's really all we have to work this whole mess out. :?

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 05, 2006 11:34PM

There is a ridiculous website run by Werner Erhard's acolytes which reminded me of this thread, in how the serious problems with est-Landmark are glossed over as a "controversy".
[www.wernererhard.com]

There is an entire section called "controversy". That is the term Werner dreamed up to use, to try and distort the truth of what has really happened.
That is how they try to "frame" the ugly realities of Werner Erhards past.

What is so absurd, is that Werner Erhard is claiming he is a "victim of the media".
How can some people not see the utter hypocrisy in those types of statements from a person who says people create their own reality?
So Werner has created his own media reality by his own bad behavior, he is not a victim of the media.

But like most convicted criminals in prison, Werner Erhard considers himself to be the "victim", and his victims to be the perpetrators.
And as usual he does not practice what he preaches, but does the opposite. I guess Werner figures he can do what he wants as he believes he is equal to God.

Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.