Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: March 18, 2012 07:06PM

Mark_Panama
Steven James’ story is a sad one. I used to like him as a teacher and he was among my favourites. Sadly it now became clear that he did manipulate and did alter Hannah Nydahl’s decisions relating Dublin after her death. So we need to ask ourselves a question of what position does he think he has in the diamondway and the real role he is playing. That’s very sad.
They should investigate Steven James’ engagement in Dublin’s case for their own sake. I mean diamondway should. In particular the issue whether he did manipulate Hannah’s decisions. If they don’t build up cleansing mechanisms in their own organization now, it going to be even worse after Nydahl passes away.

There should be a regular investigation into what happened there over the last six years.

A quote from Steven James’ letter where he is commenting on discussion on Rick Ross forum:
“I don't need to promote my own importance, they are doing it for me.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sceptic Watcher ()
Date: March 18, 2012 10:31PM

SteveLpool
This is true. Nydahl claims to be 'liberated' and not enlightened. He often says that once liberation is attained one no longer experiences being the 'target' of ill feeling and criticism.

He certainly behaved like he was a target after Shamarpa's comments on his teaching tantra.

Ah, but there's the beauty: In his mind, he wasn't the target, but Thaye Dorje was. Somebody spread false rumors to Sharmapa to discredit Ole Nydahl, who is the biggest supporter of Thaye Dorje. Thus, it must have been an attack on his Karmapa.

He deflects all criticism aimed at him that way. Back when the German Buddhist Union specifically criticized him, he argued the same way: an attack by supporters of Urgyen Trinley to create negative publicity shortly before Thaye Dorje's visit in Germany.

In a sense, what he claims is true. He never feels like the target personally, and thus probably thinks his actions to protect the Diamond Way aren't based on his inability to receive criticism. He is fully convinced that all his actions are righteous. However, I don't think what being liberated is supposed to mean. I think negative parallels to other religious zealots can be drawn, who also never question their own actions and thoughts.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:36PM

Misstyk
Somewhere on the internet I came across a reference to the fact that the Dublin center was anti-Irish (by Nydahl's prodding). Is that what this is about? Please clue us in.
I have been thinking about it Misstyk and have spoken to a couple of guys who might have had a better idea. I wouldn't think the center was explicitly anti-Irish. I would put it differently. There was something else that was going on and to fully understand it we will need to have a closer look at the origins of Killarney group (which from what I have heard is unlike Dublin a very nice and friendly group).

Nydahl wasn't interested in assimilation, a step-by-step programmatic approach. He chose to utilise a different dynamic. I will write about it more, when I have more time. That's it for now but I will come back to this topic.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:45PM

Oma Desala

Nevertheless though, my questions remain open. If Ole Nydahl secretly gives tantric initiations this point should be documented here because this matter is highly questionable - to put it mildly.

Best wishes,

Oma Desala
Oma Desala, he claims he doesn't give initiations.
I don't think we have got a clear definition of what initiations are. I am not quite sure myself of what can and what cannot be called "an initiation". You see this term is very broad. To determine whether he does or he doesn't we need to agree on what it actually means.

Posted by: mollhackabout ()
Date: March 28, 2012 03:14AM

Hi,

I thought this cult was only in Russia.

We visited the city of Novosibirsk about 10 years ago and a friend who was "into" something called Diamond Way took us to the Altai mountains to visit his friends there. As odd things habitually happen in Russia we went along with it travelling on a discount card stating we were on a "religious mission"...errr right?!

It was an interesting experience. The residents seemed pretty young and relaxed and we did a lot of walking. I only twigged that this might be a cult we were visiting when I saw a poster of Ole Nydahl on the wall - it was very much in the style of the old Soviet Propaganda posters.

when we got back to the UK I googled Ole Nydahl, there was not much on the internet at that time, but enough to find out that he was allegedly an enlightened ex-drug trafficker who discover a Buddhist lineage - alarm bells rang!

Our friend is no longer involved, I don't know how widespread it still is in Russia, it certainly did appeal to the disaffected youth of that area

Date: March 29, 2012 02:38AM

You see it is a very much a matter of priorities.
Is the diamondway as an organisation more important than its members, the actual people who constitute it?
Does diamondway put its own interest first before human rights?
Are diamondway primary interests different from human rights?

Posted by: Trinity ()
Date: April 01, 2012 05:54PM

Please support this petition either by signing or by posting it on your Facebook web pages and on other subject related forums and blogs.

[www.petitiononline.co.uk]

We need to collect 1000 signatures.

The Vauxhall Society have opened an interesting discussion:

[www.vauxhallcivicsociety.org.uk]

Date: April 03, 2012 05:34PM

Hi Trinity,
I have checked the Vauxhall Society web page yesterday and they had 24 posts on their board. I have checked it today and today they only had 13. Obviously they were forced to remove 11 posts from the board (including the link to Rick Ross Forum). I presume diamondway has already threatened them with a legal action. That's it for the liberty of free speech.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: April 06, 2012 09:01PM

I posted a comment on the Vauxhall Civic Society web page this morning which was hastily removed. Now the page has been deleted completely (as of 2.00pm Friday 6th March) or taken down for maintainance.

Steve

Date: April 11, 2012 07:34PM

Not only the Vauxhall Civic Society web page was closed down. I checked today morning and the petition was removed from uk petitions online too.

[www.petitiononline.co.uk]

I also tried to post on the Vauxhall Civic Society web page but they wouldn't let my post through. This is what more or less I was trying to say:
What took place in Dublin Diamondway Buddhist Center in Ireland leaves in my mind whatsoever no doubt that social exclusion, eliminationism, scapegoating and discrimination are at this point inherent and systemic features of diamondway organisation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.