Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: dariusb ()
Date: May 03, 2012 02:24AM

someone told me that DW is so powerful that they can do anything. there is a group on facebook [www.facebook.com] please "like" it and write something on it. i would like to see how powerful they really are! i have doubts that they are that powerful and influential but we will see. thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nangpa_UK ()
Date: May 05, 2012 06:15PM

It will be interesting to see how long this Facebook page remains. I was one of those who signed the Petitiononline.co.uk petition objecting to the DW purchase of the Beaufoy building in London, shortly before the petition was removed without explanation. I signed through my Facebook account.
Despite the petition being pulled, the fact of my having signed it remained on my FB wall. A few days ago I received the following message from FB:

"We have removed or disabled access to the following content that you have posted on Facebook because we received a notice from a third party that the content infringes or otherwise violates their rights"

Which rights I wonder? Not Freedom of Speech surely. That would be an hypocrisy too far. The message from Facebook goes on to remind me that they take such infringements seriously and that users have been banned for such things. I hope therefore you will forgive me if I do not "like" or write on your page (not that I treasure my FB account that much!)

Maybe DW doesn't have much real power but they do have deep pockets and presumably ready access to "reputation protection" lawyers. Having silenced both Petitions Online and Vauxhall Civil Society (q.v.) I suspect that DW has resorted to a cowardly and distasteful legal tactic called SLAPP. This is particularly effective when a large and/or rich organisation seeks to silence a critical small organisation or individual. They just need to point out that they may consider legal action and that, if they do, it will be financially ruinous for those they are seeking to silence. Another dubious "Buddhist" organisation is the champion of the SLAPP action (but I don't want to go off topic.) The Wikipedia article on this device notes that it is often used by rich and powerful groups to silence their critics when they know that, if it did come to court, they'd have little real chance of victory.

It is interesting to note that an organisation of the size of Facebook has crumbled so easily. Soon there may be nowhere to critically examine Diamond Way except the Rick Ross site (which I assume has not been threatened or has treated threats with the contempt they deserve.)

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 05, 2012 11:26PM

Damn. What is the point of being media moguls (am speaking of Facebook) if they lack editorial courage?

One has a legal department precisely to deal with stuff like this.

Zuckerberg was a product of Harvard. He could get referrals and legal advice via his alumni club connections.

Sheesh.

Date: May 06, 2012 12:18AM

Nangpa_UK
It will be interesting to see how long this Facebook page remains. I was one of those who signed the Petitiononline.co.uk petition objecting to the DW purchase of the Beaufoy building in London, shortly before the petition was removed without explanation. I signed through my Facebook account.
Despite the petition being pulled, the fact of my having signed it remained on my FB wall. A few days ago I received the following message from FB:

"We have removed or disabled access to the following content that you have posted on Facebook because we received a notice from a third party that the content infringes or otherwise violates their rights"

Which rights I wonder? Not Freedom of Speech surely. That would be an hypocrisy too far. The message from Facebook goes on to remind me that they take such infringements seriously and that users have been banned for such things. I hope therefore you will forgive me if I do not "like" or write on your page (not that I treasure my FB account that much!)

Maybe DW doesn't have much real power but they do have deep pockets and presumably ready access to "reputation protection" lawyers. Having silenced both Petitions Online and Vauxhall Civil Society (q.v.) I suspect that DW has resorted to a cowardly and distasteful legal tactic called SLAPP. This is particularly effective when a large and/or rich organisation seeks to silence a critical small organisation or individual. They just need to point out that they may consider legal action and that, if they do, it will be financially ruinous for those they are seeking to silence. Another dubious "Buddhist" organisation is the champion of the SLAPP action (but I don't want to go off topic.) The Wikipedia article on this device notes that it is often used by rich and powerful groups to silence their critics when they know that, if it did come to court, they'd have little real chance of victory.

It is interesting to note that an organisation of the size of Facebook has crumbled so easily. Soon there may be nowhere to critically examine Diamond Way except the Rick Ross site (which I assume has not been threatened or has treated threats with the contempt they deserve.)

That is very interesting fact!!
if it is a true than it goes against DW and I am not sure they want to be seen that way. I will post a link to your comment if you don't mind .

Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: May 06, 2012 09:04PM

Came across this blog recently. You have to copy the file to the browser. I doesn't work automaticall as link on RRF.

Title:
"Livejournal Buddhists Community
Is Diamond Way Buddhism a CULT??"

I find this post important:

"Man Tibetan Buddhism needs quality control mechanisms in place.

Too many unqualified crazies claiming to be gurus and hurting people.

I know institutionalized religion isn't so popular nowadays, but we really need it. Organizations that certify teachers as legit and healthy.

In modern Taiwanese traditions they issue academic degrees and they're in robes with several years under your belt of upholding the vinaya."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 11:34PM by rrmoderator.

Date: May 06, 2012 09:14PM

This post is incredibly important too:

"In a organisation such as the Diamond Way, as more processes are facilitated, the power of the facilitator continues to grow. When that power is directly focused on the deep inner psyche, the energy transference to the recipient, is likely to be greater than anything they have ever experienced. The facilitator/teacher is held in high esteem, and for some, that will not be enough, particularly if the facilitator has given them the greatest energy rush of their lives. It is almost unavoidable that some participants will actively worship their teacher/facilitator.

This should not happen. A good teacher/leader/faciliator knows this. At the end of any process where the facilitator or any other participant assumes a role, there must be a clear and effective de-role. Ole is assuming the role of the Giver of Enlightenment. If he does not de-role, the participants are liable to project onto him after the process. This feeds the ego of the teacher/leader whose power and control grows and whose ego inflates.
Respect for a good facilitator is appropriate, nothing more. A good facilitator never assumes a role, they simply facilitate. Ole confuses facilitation with teaching and then with giving. He allows participants to believe that it is he, who is giving them energy."

Posted by: Sceptic Watcher ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:37PM

@dariusb
I haven't read Facebook's terms of services, but if they are anywhere near to those of petitionbook, the group won't stay long. If you want your group to stay active, you should model it around the information found on info-buddhismus.de: Just state the facts. The facts are damning enough, you don't need to stick the label "cult" to DW to show this. It's incredibly hard to make this label stick - you would need way more proof than currently available. It borders dangerously close to being a cult, but right now, it isn't a cult yet, IMO.

@AlexanderNevsky
=>FB
FB is a social network, not a media mogul. They don't care about providing accurate information.
=> Blog
The link you provided above is to a file on your Desktop, so it can't work for us.

Date: May 07, 2012 11:52PM

Sceptic Watcher - Here is the link:
[buddhistgroup.livejournal.com]

Posted by: milarepa ()
Date: May 08, 2012 11:51PM

Hello everyone, i signed on the vauxhall society website - saying i against Ole's new centre in Vauxhall. And somehow it went through to my facebook page and this is what i received,

Hello,

We have removed or disabled access to the following content that you have posted on Facebook because we received a notice from a third party that the content infringes or otherwise violates their rights:

"It is very important to stop this cult. If someone does not believe it should go to Ole teachings. Where he will explains many things about suicide bombers and muslims. Why we should hate them. I have a story to share -there was a polish girl who became pregnant. She asked Ole's opinion what would be the best for her. His question was -is the father black? No -answered the girl. Well in this case you should keep it and adopt the baby. I think it told a lot about him."

We strongly encourage you to review the content you have posted to Facebook to make sure that you have not posted any other infringing content, as it is our policy to terminate the accounts of repeat infringers when appropriate.

So be careful guys

Date: May 09, 2012 06:38PM

As I am not English speaker can anyone explaine to me what exactly means "spiritual authority" ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.