Current Page: 92 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: November 11, 2011 04:48AM

Hi Karma-Mudra (Karam Mudra)

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the mans face, but thanks for trying to explain the "volitile" nature of psychic abilities.

My understanding of the particle/wave theory is that certain particles behave as a particle and a wave at the same time (my quantum physics is very, very bad sorry). There is no uncertainty about this because quantum physicists test this phenomena over and over again and get the same results. This is why I believe it is currently a scientific 'fact'. I say currently and put 'fact' in inverted comas because many established scientific facts are often found to be flawed. But for the purpose of our discussion this particle/wave phenomina is testable and repeatable and well established.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a link to the research said to have been carried out on Ole's brain wave patterns and this alleged ability to induce a state similar to epilepsy?

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pS1bY8pG2l ()
Date: November 11, 2011 05:26AM

Hi Sile,

thank you for your suggestions and your proposal to support me. But it is all done in Germany and the the prosecution will arrive at a decision wether there will be an opening of a court case against Nydahl or not.

What about a teacher? I don`t need one. I am a taff woman, ask Ole Nydahl, how taff.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 12, 2011 12:40AM

Other reasons why it can be difficult to report an abusive teacher

Above I listed some reasons why it is unrealistic to advise people to 'observe' a guru or teacher for years if need be, before deciding the teacher can be trusted--one can, after those years have passed, become socialized and lose ability to take any objective stance. A teacher's bad behavior can start to seem 'normal' even acceptable after one loses perspective--a process recognized by American social psychology research findings, (Milgram's obedience to authority experiment and Zimbardo's Prison similation experiment and the Stanford Cookie experiment)

[forum.culteducation.com]

Other factors that make it difficult to find outlets to report abuse that are not recognized in this fatuous advice to 'report the teacher to the police and by name if necessary'

A guru or rinpoche if famous, brings REVENUE to the locality. All the students and retreatants bring customers to the nearby hotels, hostels, cab drivers, cafes, food markets.

Mayors of small towns, especially in isolated areas with lots of beautiful wilderness but plenty of local poverty will be desperate to support a person or project who brings in visitors and money.

This reluctance can affect the local police departments and local newspaper. A visiting rinpoche or dharma center can make a town or neighborhood more lively and wealthy. THe locals will earn much needed income renting out rooms.

Any woman who dares to state that an income generating guru has used her will be up against the economic miracles brought to the locality by this same guru.

A guru is a money tree, a wish fulfilling gem of income revenue. So what if he screws around?

There is an additional bias:

When older men misbehave sexually, a lot of younger men admire this. The younger often feel reassured when they see that an older man or an older and overweight man with eyeglasses and otherwise awkward manner is still generating sexual turmoil.

The younger men (this can include town mayors and police authorities) see this and feel reassured that they too can look forward to an active old age.

So a guru whose behavior reassures male anxieties about getting older, a guru who is bringing in money and visitors and fame and wealth to a town or neighborhood and its businesses--folks will be more apt to believe him and tell the women he has harmed to shut up and not make trouble.

All this is a very formidable barrier to breaking silence.

And as noted on the Dialogue Ireland page concenrning Sogyal Rinpoche and here on this thread concerning Ole Nydahl, there is no shortage of spin experts and trolls who show up to disrupt discussions. About two to three years ago this thread on Ole was bombarded with trolls, and day after day, and the person who originally started this thread (Emma C--thank you!) was repeatedly dumped on in a multitude of nasty ways.

Tibetan Buddhism has all the perks and resources for the powerful. You dont get to see the full truth of this until an underdog appears and dares to speak up against entrenched privilige or the underdog states that the powerholders are abusing their prerogatives at underlings expense.

Then, suddenly, the renowned Mahayana compassion is gone, and the renowed Tibetan Buddhist logic is used to state that you dont inherantly exist, therefore what you report has no inherant existence and that therefore you are the one who has the problem, not the randy Vajrayana guru who can do no wrong because 'wrong' is non inherantly existing....blah, blah, blah.

They only panic when there is a threat of losing PR and money. Somehow the existence of money and fame are never given the Emptiness treatment.

Your suffering as a used and discarded consort is illusory. But the exchange of USD or Euros against the Indian Rupee---that is Dharma and and we all bow down.

Posted by: Sile ()
Date: November 12, 2011 12:52AM

Well, if the alternative is to not observe the teacher, then I suggest observing the teacher!

We can become "socialized" to anyone--professors, doctors, friends--does that mean we should avoid all contact with all humans?

I'm all for protecting women; I'm also all for not creating a world where every man is suspected of being some kind of rapist simply because he's male.

Be smart. Use your head. Trust your gut. If someone feels "icky," don't continue coming to their dance class, painting class, college class, or Buddhist philosophy teaching. But also don't spend your life hiding in a cave fearing that all humans are going to hurt you.

Posted by: romera ()
Date: November 12, 2011 01:06AM

They only panic when there is a threat of losing PR and money. Somehow the existence of money and fame are never given the Emptiness treatment.

Your suffering as a used and discarded consort is illusory. But the exchange of USD or Euros against the Indian Rupee---that is Dharma and and we all bow down.

I'm afraid this is true. Yet, we still want to believe...

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 12, 2011 03:46AM

Sile:

The subject of this thread is "Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism".

Stay on topic.

If you want to start another thread on some other general topic regarding abuse tha's fine, but that's not the focus of discussion here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 03:47AM by rrmoderator.

Date: November 12, 2011 03:53AM

rrmoderator
Sile:

Stay on topic.

If you want to start another thread on some other general topic regarding abuse tha's fine, but that's not the focus of discussion here.

Isn't the subject, in the context of this forum, how to avoid abuse at the hand of organizations/cults? The post previous to mine mentioned abuse specifically, and I was responding to that. It did not mention Ole Nydahl.

Date: November 12, 2011 03:56AM

However, I will be glad to move general abuse comments to some other thread, although I'm curious why corboy wasn't warned as I was, especially given the length of his post.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 12, 2011 03:56AM

Sile and to whom it may concern:

Stay on topic or start another thread somewhere else.

Date: November 12, 2011 04:13AM

I am here as an ex-member of Seventh Day Adventism. I'm sorry I posted in the Ole Nydahl thread--you are correct, I don't have experience with Ole Nydahl. However, the poster previous to mine had mentioned that "observing the teacher" (I'm assuming he said this in reference to Nydahl?) was not a good way to protect oneself from abuse, because one could become socialized and therefore not see the bad traits in a teacher.

Whether it is Diamond Way, Adventism, or some other organization, I don't see how we can get a feel for their goodness/badness unless we observe them. That was my point.

Current Page: 92 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.