Current Page: 21 of 110
The Trinity Foundation of Dallas, Texas
Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 05:54AM

To be fair, lots of people coming out of cults need to seek some professional help. I personally know that several of the former members of Trinity Foundation have had to go through extensive psychotherapy to help them overcome the damage from the abuse and to get on with their lives.

I do not condone [i:138cdccf84]ad hominem[/i:138cdccf84] attacks, and I have told Zeuszor this. However, I think criticizing the practices and legacy of a group like Trinity is fair game. People still at Trinity tend to take this personally, but it is not meant that way. Jesus himself said, "By their fruits you shall know them."

I do think it is important for us former members to acknowledge that there are good people at Trinity--hey, we were there once ourselves. They are just caught up in a corrupt system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: October 18, 2006 10:21PM

And read carefully-I [i:aec70d022c]never once[/i:aec70d022c] went after somebody on a personal level, nor called anybody any names. That would have been hitting below the belt and I know better than that. If somebody came with an asinine argument, I called it an asinine argument. But it's nothing personal, so don't take it personally. It's not defamitory. I [i:aec70d022c]never once[/i:aec70d022c] resorted to name-calling or anything else so juvenille. I call it like I see it and know what's inappropriate material. TFI culture is spiritually and psychologically unhealthy and if you are part of TFI and reading this don't think that I am attacking you. Quit playing the victim. I am however attacking your "church" and its head honcho's behaviors. Sometimes truth makes love hurt, Amen?
Another thing: Michelle, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Do know know what I mean? Read your Bible. Pray on what you read. Pray before you read it. Pray while you read it. Pray without ceasing. Be at peace. :-)

Posted by: cultaware ()
Date: October 19, 2006 09:35AM

Hey 1,
I think it's unfair to say this is my last post and then to post a message.
Cultaware

Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 10:38AM

Really, though, Zeuszor is onto something here. One of the ways Trinity suppresses dissent and avoids accountability is by the members acting hurt and as though they personally are somehow victims whenever anyone criticizes the group. It is a form of emotional blackmail when they say, in essence, "If you speak critically about Trinity Foundation or its Fearless Leader then I will withdraw from you, have nothing to do with you, and count you to be a non-person."

It reminds me of some in our political system who equate dissent with a lack of patriotism.

Posted by: kath ()
Date: October 19, 2006 07:52PM

zeuszor
Depression is setting in and rearing its ugly head. I have fought this monster before and nearly lost, and but for God's grace I would have. That's why I wanted to live in community in the first place. I't's more like I NEEDED to live in community. And I still do. I cannot live alone. That would be dangerous for me.

Hi Zeuszor, I am PMing you with my thoughts about this rather than go off topic with the thread. Hope you are doing ok,

-Kath

Date: October 19, 2006 08:49PM

Hiya Kath. I am well familiar with the therapeutic community model and am a DAYTOP graduate. DAYTOP, in my experience, is a program that very much stresses the need for personal accountability and is HIGHLY confrontational to that end. Have you read [i:e8d9edd73c]Community and Growth[/i:e8d9edd73c] by Vanier? L'Arche came out of that (therapeutic community) concept, and some wonderful principles for community life are in that book. Thanks for your time. I am fine, really.
:-)

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: October 20, 2006 11:43AM

Cherenuff, I am very sorry about your daughter. :(

Posted by: seeking ()
Date: October 22, 2006 06:47AM

Are the only former members of Trinity Foundation that have written on this thread counselor45 and zeuszor?

Posted by: kath ()
Date: October 22, 2006 10:46AM

zeuszor
Hiya Kath. I am well familiar with the therapeutic community model and am a DAYTOP graduate. DAYTOP, in my experience, is a program that very much stresses the need for personal accountability and is HIGHLY confrontational to that end. Have you read [i:3468591e10]Community and Growth[/i:3468591e10] by Vanier? L'Arche came out of that (therapeutic community) concept, and some wonderful principles for community life are in that book. Thanks for your time. I am fine, really.
:-)

If you read what I quoted you'll see that it contrasted what in the UK is meant by a therapeutic community, and says that what in the US is called one, is not the same thing at all.

Date: October 22, 2006 10:45PM

Yes, I noted that, kath. I thought it noteworthy as well that the American-style "behavioral" TC model is presently being adapted for the UK's [i:fbfaaa4f69]prison system[/i:fbfaaa4f69]. I got a lot out of DAYTOP and am glad I was a part of it. In my experience, it's a good program, highly confrontational (I used to dread encounter groups). I made friends there that I am close to today. Back then (mid-nineties) there was another TC program called Straight and I remember that a lot of kids were coming out of there messed up in the head and with stories of physical abuse. Is Straight still around? Hmm...I see that Straight is in Rick Ross' database of controversial groups. Sorry to go too far off topic, moderator.

Current Page: 21 of 110

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.