Err...CEI has a vast
discussion of Byron Katie.
Though the focus of this thread is on Moo, it is important to understand that becoming a Big Name Spiritual Teacher is no accident.
It is not God's Grace. It is Mammon.
To become a Big Name Spiritual Teacher you are operate in a very mercenary context.
To remain a Big Name Spiritual Teacher and not get drowned out by marketing from competitors, you consent to remain in this very mercenary context.
The mercenary context in which one becomes and then remains a Big Name Guru or Spiritual Teacher contains these elements.
Sophisticated Marketing - attracting attention to yourself
* Your material must seem unique, better than other teacher's material. If you've appropriated material from other sources, hide it. If you've distorted
and dumbed down material you've taken from other teachers, other sources, hide that.
* Denigrate competitors. Make cheaper more effective methods seem old fashioned, ineffective or oppressive. Charlatans find ways to trash talk non charlatans.
* Promise personal empowerment to your followers, make them feel empowered but...make sure they stay dependent on you. There, you've already broken your
promise to improve people's lives.
A spiritual teacher who's followers heal and depart, earns less money than a charlatan spiritual teacher who makes followers feel empowered but keeps them
closely attached and dependent, bringing in steady income.
Marketing - continued.
A Big Name Teacher needs as much free publicity as possible. The two fastest ways to accumulate wealth are tax exempt status and free labor.
* Get lots of recruits because they provide volunteer workers who will
distribute your publicity material and give good reviews for you on social media.
* Look for followers who are experts with websites, marketing, social media
influence. If possible get them to donate time, but if you gotta pay someone, pay them.
* Identify your target market, your demographic.
* Get rid of skeptics and confident people as soon as possible. They disrupt the mood you want to create.
Middle aged women in distress
require a different marketing strategy than young spiritual seekers who have time and means to travel.
You might change your name. Byron Katie changed her name. Moo has added Hinuistic titles such as Moo - Ji or Mooji Baba
* How do you dress? What gadgets and props are in your photographs?
* Creating a Story of Yourself, a public persona - that is, crafting a resume.
* Suppressing material in your life that conflicts with your public persona
it is very important
to make brief digressions to underscore how common it has become
for commercial spiritual teachers to use many of the techniques
we are concerned about here.
Why? Because many who seek healing from Moo may look for another guru
who can help them. If that guru is also using these same techniques,
the Moo survivor will become stuck in another guru's establishment.
Two, commercial gurus constantly look for new recruits. Persons who have
left Moo (or who have been rejected by Moo), may be targeted for recruitment.
We learned about how guru survivors are recruited by other gurus on the make via the Byron Katie discussion. Here it is.
A brief digression about Byron Katie.
She changed her story a number of times before coming up with the
instant enlightement story focusing on the cockroach.
The Anticult, who supplied many, many analyses of conversational trance induction
methods, provided that information by examining BK's material.
Use of glittering eyes to induce instant intimacy. Anticult examines this
during the BK discussion. Notice how every photo or online image of a spiritual teacher emphasizes their eyes? This is no coincidence.
BK reportedly so influenced followers that they give her their wedding rings.
The Anticult had things to say about this one.
The bit about BK and her loving talk in public with her husband - thats
also insta intimacy.
Anticult helped us learn a bit about that one.
Again, we must, must keep the focus on the Monte Sahaja/Zmar situation.
I offer these citations as an educational resource for those who want to
get a much larger picture of the commercial spiritual teacher scene --
For, to repeat, this is the
very mercenary context in which someone becomes a Big Name Spiritual Teacher.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 11:18PM by corboy.